• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2023 Season: The Bowl Thread - Lucky Man

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Is that RB really hurt? Looked like the tackle was pretty vanilla

Mame YO

slings rocks
I wasn’t asking a rhetorical question before - has Michigan been tested at all in the secondary? My guess is no.

If Johnson is out it might not matter idk.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Surprised Sark just went with the heave it to the end zone there. I like trying to run some kind of deep switch or something to make the secondary have to pass players off to each other... Washington's secondary has some good players but overall isn't the best.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Surprised Sark just went with the heave it to the end zone there. I like trying to run some kind of deep switch or something to make the secondary have to pass players off to each other... Washington's secondary has some good players but overall isn't the best.
lol you mean they have Muhammad

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Interesting schematic matchup... Washington secondary ain't grat and Michigan pretty good at scheming guys open. Think Michigan has to be pretty favored in this and I think they take it.

Mame YO

slings rocks
They’ve only faced the Bilentikoff award winner, so no.
So no. One WR with a bad QB and nothing else.

That is not the same thing as facing 3 NFL recievers (possibly a 4th) and an NFL qb. The depth matters for the matchup. Oregon has faced several teams with a good QB+WR combo over the years (and won!) but it’s different when a team has to face multiple receivers. It tests their DB depth in a way that having to deal with one elite WR doesn’t.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Don’t get me wrong I guess I’m go blue for this one but you’ll are kidding yourself if you think you’re fine because Michigan played Harrison jr with McBum earlier this season.

For comparison, Oregon lost to Washington in 2022 and then picked rising off 3 times literally the next week and won the game vs Utah because Utah relied mostly on one guy and Oregon was able to key on him. They lost to Washington 3 times in two years because they didn’t have the DB depth to cover all the WRs. There is a difference.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Damn, that game was amazing

Two games that went down to the last play of the game! FANTASTIC FINISHES!

Yeah, but I have to agree that Warshington deciding to actually run plays nearly cost them the game. I get it - you get one first down and it is safely over, as opposed to punting it with like 15 or so seconds left - but I thought for sure Texas was going to win it.

FUN FUN FUN versus Cheating scUM for sure, but I'm just happy that the fucking SEC isn't in the title game for once. Both teams that I wanted to see win, won.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I couldn't stay awake. I'm too old and go to work early, but wow what a game and Penix showed out. Representing Southpaw qbs like a champ. Loving the shampship matchup. Good to see new blood.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Don’t get me wrong I guess I’m go blue for this one but you’ll are kidding yourself if you think you’re fine because Michigan played Harrison jr with McBum earlier this season.

I didn't say that. You asked if Michigan had been tested at all in the secondary, and the answer is yes. OSU is probably the one team with receiver talent that is close to Washington's. Penix is obviously a better QB than McCord, but their per-play stats are not that different. Michigan was missing its best corner in the second half of the OSU game, too. Michigan just had a better game against Milroe than Georgia did. Their secondary has been tested fine. Doesn't mean they'll win, but acting like they haven't played a good team is fucking dumb.

For comparison, Oregon lost to Washington in 2022 and then picked rising off 3 times literally the next week and won the game vs Utah because Utah relied mostly on one guy and Oregon was able to key on him. They lost to Washington 3 times in two years because they didn’t have the DB depth to cover all the WRs. There is a difference.

You are fucking insufferable. Nobody gives a shit about whether Oregon can stop Washington. Michigan beat an OSU team in 2021 with a first round QB and 3 first round WRs. With a significantly worse secondary than they have now. It's doable. Doesn't mean it will happen, but this isn't some massive mismatch because Michigan hasn't played nobody.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I didn't say that. You asked if Michigan had been tested at all in the secondary, and the answer is yes. OSU is probably the one team with receiver talent that is close to Washington's. Penix is obviously a better QB than McCord, but their per-play stats are not that different. Michigan was missing its best corner in the second half of the OSU game, too. Michigan just had a better game against Milroe than Georgia did. Their secondary has been tested fine. Doesn't mean they'll win, but acting like they haven't played a good team is fucking dumb.

You are fucking insufferable. Nobody gives a shit about whether Oregon can stop Washington. Michigan beat an OSU team in 2021 with a first round QB and 3 first round WRs. With a significantly worse secondary than they have now. It's doable. Doesn't mean it will happen, but this isn't some massive mismatch because Michigan hasn't played nobody.

2024 Washington > 2024 Oregon > 2001 Miami. Enjoy the roses because Michigan just smelling smoke when they play the greatest team of all time next week.

Mame YO

slings rocks
talent, yes, but the production between the two groups isn't even close to comparable this season. OSU had Marv with ~1200 yards on the season, next closest is Stover (a TE) with ~600 yards this season. UW has Odunze (1500yards), Polk (1100 yards) and McMillan (500 yards, and he was injured for a chunk of the season).
I know you see OREGON and instantly get annoyed that I'm bringing them up but the 2022 oregon v washington and oregon v utah games are relevant to the argument I'm making, or I wouldn't be bringing them up as a reference point. Washington tested Oregon's DB depth, Utah didn't. That's the point I'm making about Michigan. Yes they faced tOSU and they have Harrison and a lot of talent, but they don't have the production. Being able to key on Harrison and force McBum to make plays elsewhere is a viable strategy in the same way that Oregon was able to key on 1-2 guys and win vs Utah... that isn't going to be a viable strategy vs UW. Does Michigan have one of the best secondaries in college footbaw? IMO, we really don't know. Maybe. They'll probably need that type of group to match up with UW.

And again, I don't want to see UW win. There's no reason to be sensitive about it I'm just trying to talk colllege footbaw in the college footbaw subforum of a forum that was originally devoted to college footbaw. Everyone thinks I'm an asshole or a dumb homer for pointing out that UW poses a rare match up problem at the college level, but they just did it again to Texas and there's a decent chance they'll do it to Michigan too.

digs

sun of nothing
mame wants washington to win so he can say oregon was a few high variance plays and MaTcHuP ProBlemZ from being national champs.
I'm 100% calling ASU the people's national champions if Washington wins. Obviously we have to take into account quarterback injuries (see FSU) when discussing scores \ results, and you can't tell me if TRENTON BOURGUET wasn't leading the final drive for ASU that ASU wouldn't have lost! Therefore, DILLY DILLY national title year 1 no cap. ASU is also the last team to have beat Washington

like who would have thought that ASU would have a PROXY HEISMAN WINNER and PROXY NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP this year besides me????

Last edited:

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
talent, yes, but the production between the two groups isn't even close to comparable this season. OSU had Marv with ~1200 yards on the season, next closest is Stover (a TE) with ~600 yards this season. UW has Odunze (1500yards), Polk (1100 yards) and McMillan (500 yards, and he was injured for a chunk of the season).

I know you see OREGON and instantly get annoyed that I'm bringing them up but the 2022 oregon v washington and oregon v utah games are relevant to the argument I'm making, or I wouldn't be bringing them up as a reference point. Washington tested Oregon's DB depth, Utah didn't. That's the point I'm making about Michigan. Yes they faced tOSU and they have Harrison and a lot of talent, but they don't have the production. Being able to key on Harrison and force McBum to make plays elsewhere is a viable strategy in the same way that Oregon was able to key on 1-2 guys and win vs Utah... that isn't going to be a viable strategy vs UW. Does Michigan have one of the best secondaries in college footbaw? IMO, we really don't know. Maybe. They'll probably need that type of group to match up with UW.

And again, I don't want to see UW win. There's no reason to be sensitive about it I'm just trying to talk colllege footbaw in the college footbaw subforum of a forum that was originally devoted to college footbaw. Everyone thinks I'm an asshole or a dumb homer for pointing out that UW poses a rare match up problem at the college level, but they just did it again to Texas and there's a decent chance they'll do it to Michigan too.
kinda goes both ways....Michigan might have the best secondary in football...Washington hasn't faced a team with the caliber of defense as Michigan. Oregon was the best one and they are what a top 40 unit? Whereas Michigan is without a doubt top 5

Penix and co torched Texas yesterday for sure, but Texas has a poor pass defense.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I don't have strong feelings about either team/PROGRUM except I dislike HARBAW and have since before the Belichick impersonation so Bow Down, I guess

I don't really have a strong rooting interest in either team - both Washington and Michigan were teams that I've always kind of liked, Michigan for players like Tyrone Wheatley, Tim Biakabutuka, Desmond Howard and BIG WHITE TROG QBS like Elvis Grbac, and Warshingtern for players like Steve Entman, Billy Joe Hobert and Mark Brunell and also Napoleon Kaufman.

If I had to pick, I'd prefer Warshingtern to win, just because of the Pac12 ties, the lefty QB, and the Harbaugh and Brady tears will be sweet.

Mame YO

slings rocks
kinda goes both ways....Michigan might have the best secondary in football...Washington hasn't faced a team with the caliber of defense as Michigan. Oregon was the best one and they are what a top 40 unit? Whereas Michigan is without a doubt top 5

Penix and co torched Texas yesterday for sure, but Texas has a poor pass defense.
There is definitely some circular stuff going on with B1G defensive numbers this year. Penn state was the highest scoring offense in the B1G this year. Do you’ll think that’s a good offense? Like half the B1G has a good defense statistically. There is definitely a lot of “the offenses are just bad” stuff going on under the hood.

That isn’t to say that Michigan’s defense is bad because I don’t think that’s the case, but for a quick comparison we can look at the stats on ncaa.com… they’re ranked 3rd in passing efficiency defense while Oregon was ranked 13th in passing efficiency defense this year (sticking with this reference point, since you did. Don’t fucking kill me). Oregon played UW (the #1 passing offense) twice, wazzu (#4 in passing offense) and Colorado (#16). Michigan played… Maryland (#21), Ohio state (#30) and no other top 50 team in passing offense.

So yeah, their defense does look good but their secondary really hasn’t been tested either at least if you just look at those basic counting stats.

(And again, I’m probably rooting for Michigan, I’m just talking about footbaw, not trying to be combative or anything)

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Yeah Michigan's scheduly is dooty cheeks but for the most part they've taken care of business. I'd pick their defense over anyone in the country but Georgia. itll be an interesting matchup for sure

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That isn’t to say that Michigan’s defense is bad because I don’t think that’s the case, but for a quick comparison we can look at the stats on ncaa.com… they’re ranked 3rd in passing efficiency defense while Oregon was ranked 13th in passing efficiency defense this year (sticking with this reference point, since you did. Don’t fucking kill me). Oregon played UW (the #1 passing offense) twice, wazzu (#4 in passing offense) and Colorado (#16). Michigan played… Maryland (#21), Ohio state (#30) and no other top 50 team in passing offense.
Why are you switching between passing offense and passing efficiency?

Here's the deal: you are a pariah on here because you just say a bunch of stupid shit and bring everything back to Oregon. If your point from the beginning had been that Washington is a new challenge for Michigan's secondary with their depth, that's totally true. Saying MICHIGAN AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY makes you sound like a brain-dead talk radio caller. And you say shit like that all the time. Then bringing Oregon into every fucking conversation. We get it; you're a fan. Bringing up last year's Oregon team to prove that Michigan's secondary is going to struggle against Washington ... I don't even know where to start. And now you're cherry picking the best stats to fit your narrative, leaving off the fact that Michigan just put the 12th best passing efficiency offense in a body bag.

The other thing is that Michigan's secondary is definitely the most talented Washington has seen. Both of their safeties are going to be drafted; Moore is more talented and might edge into the first round if he runs well at the combine. Will Johnson is among the best cover corners in the country. Our nickel isn't shut down in coverage, but he's an All-American for a reason. Our second corner, Wallace, is definitely a weak spot in comparison, but he's a 5th year senior who is unlikely to have a coverage bust. The issues that Michigan has had in coverage have been more at the linebacker level. I don't feel great about this matchup because playing robo QB with mobility is the hardest thing you can do. But Michigan has done fine against better passing attacks (OSU in 2021 and 2022) with this defensive scheme and many of the same defensive players.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Why are you switching between passing offense and passing efficiency?

Here's the deal: you are a pariah on here because you just say a bunch of stupid shit and bring everything back to Oregon. If your point from the beginning had been that Washington is a new challenge for Michigan's secondary with their depth, that's totally true. Saying MICHIGAN AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY makes you sound like a brain-dead talk radio caller. And you say shit like that all the time. Then bringing Oregon into every fucking conversation. We get it; you're a fan. Bringing up last year's Oregon team to prove that Michigan's secondary is going to struggle against Washington ... I don't even know where to start. And now you're cherry picking the best stats to fit your narrative, leaving off the fact that Michigan just put the 12th best passing efficiency offense in a body bag.

The other thing is that Michigan's secondary is definitely the most talented Washington has seen. Both of their safeties are going to be drafted; Moore is more talented and might edge into the first round if he runs well at the combine. Will Johnson is among the best cover corners in the country. Our nickel isn't shut down in coverage, but he's an All-American for a reason. Our second corner, Wallace, is definitely a weak spot in comparison, but he's a 5th year senior who is unlikely to have a coverage bust. The issues that Michigan has had in coverage have been more at the linebacker level. I don't feel great about this matchup because playing robo QB with mobility is the hardest thing you can do. But Michigan has done fine against better passing attacks (OSU in 2021 and 2022) with this defensive scheme and many of the same defensive players.
Have you tried "not clicking ignored content?"