• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Off-Season Thread

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
It is the NBA, nothing is going to happen until LeBron decides what he is doing and then everything else will fall into place.

BreXUv7CUAMbx39.jpg

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Everyone has to wait on lebron. Ain't nobody gonna sign a scrub free agent while they think they still have a slight chance at the King.

Bucksin04

Lejuan wants max money. How does that affect Miami's chances of keeping this team together?

Depends how much of a cut Wade and Bosh are willing to take. LeBron taking the max pretty much puts an end to the Carmelo pipe dream, and honestly does the same thing to the idea of signing Lowry. Maybe they can squeeze Luol Deng in there if he takes less money than the 3 years/$30 million Chicago offered him last year, but even then I don't see it happening.

Bucksin04

The answer is.....it depends. Here is an excellent article from Grantland that explains some of the various scenarios:

http://grantland.com/features/nba-free-agency-2014-lebron-james/

For the uber lazy:

LeBron has already indicated he wants his max salary of around $20.5 million, according to several published reports. Let’s assume Bosh accepts a salary of about $16.5 million, and Wade swallows a $7 million pay cut — down to about $13.5 million. Haslem is doing the Heat a solid by opting out of $4.6 million, so you know they are going to bring him back on a multiyear deal that pays him at least that much over a longer period — something like three years for $9 million. Miami is going to make Haslem whole, if only for appearances.

Toss in Norris Cole, rookie Shabazz Napier, and cap holds for empty roster spots, and the Heat would be left with less than $4 million in cap space. You ain’t getting Kyle Lowry or Trevor Ariza for that.
The Heat can play around with the timing of transactions, a skill that has become crucial as the league’s cap mechanics get more complex. They could renounce Haslem to create more cap space, spend up to the cap, and then use the so-called “room exception” to bring him back on the cheap.[sup]2[/sup] They could open up some more space by dumping Cole into someone else’s cap room, and they pitched Cole-centric trades around the draft.
They also don’t have to go under the cap at all. If they stay over it, the Heat will have the full midlevel exception, which allows them to offer a contract starting at nearly $5.5 million per season. That might be larger than the cap space they’d open up, and thus a more attractive chip on the open market.

Bottom line: If LeBron is coming back, the Heat aren’t opening up serious cap space unless the Wade-Bosh combo takes a larger combined pay cut than most people expect. Maybe that will happen. It basically has to for Pat Riley to improve the roster in any meaningful way, but Bosh and Wade need to set themselves up to earn at least $55 million over the next four years in order to make opting out of $42 million over the next two even semi-rational. This could get awkward.
The Heat have big free-agency dreams — including Lowry, Ariza, and Marcin Gortat — but if those guys prove out of reach, the Heat might have to make do maximizing value along the fringes with some of the names I mentioned here. It’s un-sexy, but it might be the only available course for Miami.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I'm waiting for the Players Union and complain about members accepting deals for "less than market value" and/or the owners to cry collusion

zoltan

Artest took a 1 year 1 Million dollar deal to play with the Lakers and win a championship.

If players really claim its about rings and not money then more players would do that type of stuff.

If i was Lebron I'd bail from the heat, they're not winning anymore championships. Go to the Suns who are in need of a true star or back to the Cavs, that's what I'd do if I was him.

Melo should go to the Bulls even though i want the Mavs to get him. Take some pressure off Derrick Rose's return and at the same time provide Chicago with some much needed offense. With the Mavs he would have a more complete team around him and a (slightly) better coach in my opinion.

Bucksin04

Stringing together 3 Windhorst tweets: "Heat telling free agents they will have $12+ million to spend, indicating Wade & Bosh ready to take huge pay cuts, sources told ESPN. The Heat have targeted Kyle Lowry and are seeking a meeting with him today. Also could target Marcin Gortat. Earlier, @johncanzanobft reported Wade was willing to start at $12M per season & Bosh $11M & this backs that up. Story coming."

Chase

If Tim Duncan makes $10 million a year, Wade should be making around $7. Zach Lowe said wAIDS and Bosh will get something like $10-12 million a year. LeahBrawn is a smart dude, would be wise to sign a 2 year deal with a player option for next year and just troll the NBA every summer.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Jodie Meeks 3 yr/$19M with Detroit. I thought they got rid of Dumars

Bucksin04

Gortat got 5 years $60m from the Wizards. Crazy.

$12 million/year is actually pretty fair for him. 5 years is outrageous though.

Shaun Livingston to the Warriors is a nice pickup for them. He'll fit in well there, and makes Klay Thompson slightly more expendable in a theoretically K Love trade.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator

Shaun Livingston to the Warriors is a nice pickup for them. He'll fit in well there, and makes Klay Thompson slightly more expendable in a theoretically K Love trade.

Shaun Livingston is a nice player/pick-up, but I do not trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love. Build around that back court.

Chase

Gortat got the same deal as Pekovic but is 3 years older. Gortat at 35 making $12 million a year will be brutal but the Wizards had to bring him back. Better hope the Wiz don't break the bank on Ariza though.

Big blow for the Heat, have to imagine he was their #1 FA target. If they don't get Lowry (which looks unlikely) and sign guys like Marvin Williams/Jameer Nelson/Steve Blake then LeahBrawn better have dat player option for next year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
But really @NavyHog, I just think Kevin does so much more for you than Klay. He opens up driving lanes for one, he posts up smaller guys if you do that. Klay is just a good guard but he does nothing to change the dynamics of the defense other than his man needs to stick him closer. Kevin changes who you play on defense, and how you defend. Very simple choice to me.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
If you are telling me I could get Kevin Love for Klay Thompson straight up with no change in CAP flexibility I probably do that trade. I say probably because what 2 guard in the NBA is better than Klay Thompson? Wade and Kobe are to old/broke down. Although he can be a defensive sieve I will buy off on Harden. Paul George for sure if you consider him a 2 (He plays the 3 for the Pacers). Joe Johnson? Maybe. Bradley Beal? Someday maybe. I can't think of anyone else so I will submit to you that if I was starting an NBA team today, that Thompson would be my 2nd pick for being my 2. 18 pts per game, 40% from 3, career 82% FT and a better than average defender.

With Love you get the best stretch 4 in the game, a superior passer and the best rebounder statistically. He is also young (26) and as far as I can tell a good teammate (willing passer, no controversies). However, at 6'10 he is a career 45% FG and is not going to change a game defensively (neither will Thompson). Do you give max money to Love and lose your ability to add other good players around him? I know I'm probably in the minority, but I would pass and build around Curry, Thompson and look for someone else to play the 4.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
The thing is a stretch 4 as good as Love is much more valuable than the second best 2 guard in the game (especially when you say best you mean above average since there is such a depression in 2 guard talent right now). It allows Curry to drive with much more ease if you put Love at the 5 and go small like they want to do. He creates so many mismatches and defensive liabilities by being on the floor. Love is just much more valuable IMO, and they would be a better team if they got him.

evil1

Shaun Livingston is a nice player/pick-up, but I do not trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love. Build around that back court.

I generally agree. Love is certainly an upgrade over David Lee, but he is not Klay Thompson better than Lee. Additionally, I'm not sure what Love gives Golden State that they don't already have. "Not enough three point shooting" isn't Golden State's problem area. I also don't buy that Love will greatly open up driving lanes for his teammates (it apparently didn't happen in Minnesota). Thompson forces defenses to be quick because he can drive the lane, run off of screens, and run from one side of the offensive side to the other. Love is a stationary three point target.

The only way I do that trade is if I am worried about re-signing Thompson once his rookie contract expires.

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
The thing is a stretch 4 as good as Love is much more valuable than the second best 2 guard in the game (especially when you say best you mean above average since there is such a depression in 2 guard talent right now). It allows Curry to drive with much more ease if you put Love at the 5 and go small like they want to do. He creates so many mismatches and defensive liabilities by being on the floor. Love is just much more valuable IMO, and they would be a better team if they got him.

I respect that opinion and don't necessarily disagree. I think I value/project Thompson to continue to improve more than you and as I keep mentioning you have more CAP flexibility keeping Thompson.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I respect that opinion and don't necessarily disagree. I think I value/project Thompson to continue to improve more than you and as I keep mentioning you have more CAP flexibility keeping Thompson.

Maybe, but probably not. If he is the 2nd best 2 in the league, he is getting the max or walking.

sayo

YEET
Idk. If you can grab Love, you get him. Klay is nice, but there are other three and d guards who can fill in and be serviceable. Love gives you so much on offense and rebounding. I don't get the logic that you keep Klay because he's the second best shooting guard. That's possibly the weakest position in the league right now...

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I generally agree. Love is certainly an upgrade over David Lee, but he is not Klay Thompson better than Lee. Additionally, I'm not sure what Love gives Golden State that they don't already have. "Not enough three point shooting" isn't Golden State's problem area. I also don't buy that Love will greatly open up driving lanes for his teammates (it apparently didn't happen in Minnesota). Thompson forces defenses to be quick because he can drive the lane, run off of screens, and run from one side of the offensive side to the other. Love is a stationary three point target.

The only way I do that trade is if I am worried about re-signing Thompson once his rookie contract expires.
Mostly because his teammates were Rubio(defense sags on him because he can't shoot), Martin(really more of a shooter and not too explosive, most of his drives are to draw fouls), and Brewer (just not that good).

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Hey I knew I was going to be in the minority with my opinion. I don't think Love is worth max money, which restricts your ability to build around him, with his defensive limitations. I think Thompson is going to get you between 18-22 ppg for the next 8 years and shoot from outside at an elite percentage.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Hey I knew I was going to be in the minority with my opinion. I don't think Love is worth max money, which restricts your ability to build around him, with his defensive limitations. I think Thompson is going to get you between 18-22 ppg for the next 8 years and shoot from outside at an elite percentage.

then he will get the max. Love at the max > 2nd best at the worst position in the NBA at the max

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I watched Love have a couple of Dwight, throw the ball at the rim to get rebounds to pad my stat games last year. Im not suggesting he does this all the time, just an observation. At least he doesnt outright steal rebounds from teammates like howard does/did.