• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

Heisman06

Sacramento's looking at Rondo, Monta Ellis and Wes Matthews from what I've read. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign 2 of them. Ellis could sign with Indy tonight but Sacto clearing all that space might have him second guessing,

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
where did waides sign? this is very important. its keeping me up at night. Its called "Waides" county for heavans sake!

kingssc

76ers acquire STAUSKAS!?! STAUSKAS?! from the Kings along with a couple other shitty deals (Carl Landry and Jason Thompson) in exchange for some random foreign player. So basically nothing.

Great trade. Who knows if Nik Stauskas can actually play, but it's going to basically cost nothing to find out. Hell, he's probably the guy they wanted last year with the Pelicans pick anyway.
Great trade for both teams

PSUEagle

So the 76ers are also getting a protected 1st rounder from Sacramento in addition to having swap rights for two more years in the 1st round. So they get to outsource the tank when the team's good.

Even if Philly is giving up Dario Saric this is an absolutely insane trade.

Sacramento has the worst owner in sports right now, hands down.

kingssc

So the 76ers are also getting a protected 1st rounder from Sacramento in addition to having swap rights for two more years in the 1st round. So they get to outsource the tank when the team's good.

Even if Philly is giving up Dario Saric this is an absolutely insane trade.

Sacramento has the worst owner in sports right now, hands down.
Pick part can't be true, we can't trade a first until the pick Chicago has vests, unless you're talking 2019 or something

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Stauskas gives me a full chub.

nik-stauskas-trash-3-10-131.gif

PSUEagle

Pick part can't be true, we can't trade a first until the pick Chicago has vests, unless you're talking 2019 or something

Originally Lowe tweeted that they would get a protected 1st rounder (probably two years after the Chicago pick vests, whenever that is). He also said that the 76ers would have the right to swap 1st rounders in two other years (probably in between when the Chicago and Philly picks vest).

As of now, though, the report is that it's a Top 10 protected pick only that will convey two years after the Chicago pick does so.

Still, incredible trade for the 76ers: they get a bunch of assets for free and didn't have to trade Dario Saric.

kingssc

I like the shakeup. Landry/JT are dead weight, Stauskas didn't impress last year, and that pick is at least 4 years down the road. Let's roll the dice on getting a couple FAs. Not worried about pick swap, Philly will be drafting below for years.

PSUEagle

I like the shakeup. Landry/JT are dead weight, Stauskas didn't impress last year, and that pick is at least 4 years down the road. Let's roll the dice on getting a couple FAs. Not worried about pick swap, Philly will be drafting below for years.

Sure

Heisman06

There's a lot of bad contracts on that list but that Omer Asik one stands out. Mainly because I hadn't seen the financial terms until now. Brandan Wright looks like the steal of the big men.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
By my count the Spurs can't sign him now unless he takes $11 -13 million a year, which is way underpaying him. And that's with Duncan and Ginobli accepting about 3 million total.

If they want Aldridge, they are going to have to trade Boris Diaw as well.
I'm not sure about that. I think they have enough space if they sign LMA first to then go over to sign Duncan/Manu because of how long they've been in the league and on the team.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Great trade for both teams
Yeah it's a great deal for both teams. The Kings clear $26m over two years between Thompson/Landry and the Staukus deal which is $16m between the three this year.

They clear $16m in space this year for someone who might be decent and a protected 1st. Probably depends on the protections on the 1st but it's a pretty standard get rid of dead weight deal. Warriors did something similar with Utah and will have to with David Lee.

evil1

I'm not sure about that. I think they have enough space if they sign LMA first to then go over to sign Duncan/Manu because of how long they've been in the league and on the team.

I'm not sure. By my count, the Spurs are sitting at about $55 million right now with the Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard signings and the expected salary cap is about $67 million. That leaves just $12 million with Duncan and Ginobli being unsigned.

I don't think you can circumvent the salary cap very much by signing free agents from other teams first and then re-signing your own free agents unless you renounce their Bird rights first. A team's own free agents still have a "cap hold" that counts against the salary cap until their rights are renounced or until they are signed. In this case, Danny Green's cap hold is about $7 million. So the Spurs could get about $4 million extra breathing room by signing LMA first and then signing Danny Green. But that still only leaves $16 million to sign Duncan and Ginobli (who will require at least about $1.5 million each for the veterans minimum) and then sign LMA.

TL;DR - San Antonio still needs to dump Boris Diaw before they can sign LMA.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Are fav teams our the KKKlip and Philly

Got Stauskas from Meeeechigan, goblue just needs Webber and Jalen Rose on the corching staff now

NML

I like the trade for the Sixers (and the Kings), but Stauskas was really bad last year. Hopefully it was just tough for him to get into a rhythm offensively because was coming off the bench and only play 15ish minutes a night, but woof. He did show signs of picking it up later in the year. Carl Landry and Jason Thompson are both still pretty decent, maybe the best players on the team with Noel. They both pair really nicely with Noel/Okafor. Landry's offensive game with Noel's defense and Thompson banging inside with Okafor working the post. Seeing as they gave up basically nothing (no way its Daric), why not?

For the Kings, you clear tons of cap space to bring in some real talent, almost assuredly players better than Landry and Thompson. The issue is that most of the top talent (sans LA) has signed. Rondo, Monta, and Wes Matthews is okay - especially with Boogie there - but I'm still not sure they make the playoffs. That's assuming they all sign. They won't be a doormat though, so that's a start. Really will depend on what happens with Cousins - could be one of the top 10 players in the game.

Wasn't crazy about the Celtics moves. There was so much talk about bringing in Tobias Harris - who I can at least get behind as a "going to get better, only 22" signing - and then they make Amir Johnson the highest paid player on the team. The deal itself is fine, it's basically a one year deal as the second isn't guaranteed, but it was just disappointing. Could still work out a sign and trade or they could stretch Wallace's contract, but honestly I'd rather it just be gone after this year. Probably going to make the playoffs and bow out in the first round again. They do have some insane depth right now.

Best signings of day one were AD, Love, Butler, and Pierce. Also liked Millsap and Danny Green's.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Wat, they resigned asik for 12 per?

• Asik was signed using Bird Rights, which the Pelicans were able to maintain since he spent 2 seasons in Houston who traded him to New Orleans prior to his lone season as a Pelican. This allows them to preserve their salary cap exceptions to sign role players from the market. In other words, the value of this signing is partially yet-to-be-determined. Signing another center off the market would have to have been done by trading an asset or using the Mid-Level Exception. The MLE has not done much to grab good big men so far this offseason (1 day), and this fact is historically true. As only Asik could have been signed using his Bird Exception, the choice is a sub-$6m center or Asik and whoever you get for the MLE. So . . . patience on fully evaluating the deal.

• The deal seems to have the following structure: $10m, $10.75m, $11.5m, $12.25m, $13m (not fully guaranteed). This structure leads to a total of $44.5m in the first 4 seasons, $57.5m total. Incentives of $250,000 – $500,000 could be included, along with a couple million of guaranteed money in the final season. The details should come to light in the next few days or following the moratorium through leaks.

• His Offensive Rebound Rate last season was 14.0, good for 8th in the NBA among players logging at least 1000 minutes. His Defensive Rebounding Rate is 28.8, good for 6th in the NBA in the same pool. In terms of total rebounding, the rate is 21.4, good for 4th in the NBA in that 1000+ minute pool. The only available player with better total rebounding rate is Deandre Jordan, who is choosing from a number of max deals.

PSUEagle

Brett Brown may have let it slip a few months ago that Staukas (and Wiggins at #3) were who they expected to end up drafting. Then Embiid got hurt, and that changed things (possibly for the better, but we won't know for a couple more years). Still, in college he was a lights out shooter who also could pass and put the ball on the deck more than you'd think for a white guy. Worthy gamble.

Anyway, this chart is encouraging RE: Stauskas

CI4StVbUEAA1s5H.png

Reel

Community Liaison
Brett Brown may have let it slip a few months ago that Staukas (and Wiggins at #3) were who they expected to end up drafting. Then Embiid got hurt, and that changed things (possibly for the better, but we won't know for a couple more years). Still, in college he was a lights out shooter who also could pass and put the ball on the deck more than you'd think for a white guy. Worthy gamble.

Anyway, this chart is encouraging RE: Stauskas

CI4StVbUEAA1s5H.png
Fredette was lights out in college too so...

Reel

Community Liaison

~transcript from the meeting~

LA: Kobe, are you gonna pass the ball?

KB:
561515491.gif

NML

• Asik was signed using Bird Rights, which the Pelicans were able to maintain since he spent 2 seasons in Houston who traded him to New Orleans prior to his lone season as a Pelican. This allows them to preserve their salary cap exceptions to sign role players from the market. In other words, the value of this signing is partially yet-to-be-determined. Signing another center off the market would have to have been done by trading an asset or using the Mid-Level Exception. The MLE has not done much to grab good big men so far this offseason (1 day), and this fact is historically true. As only Asik could have been signed using his Bird Exception, the choice is a sub-$6m center or Asik and whoever you get for the MLE. So . . . patience on fully evaluating the deal.

• The deal seems to have the following structure: $10m, $10.75m, $11.5m, $12.25m, $13m (not fully guaranteed). This structure leads to a total of $44.5m in the first 4 seasons, $57.5m total. Incentives of $250,000 – $500,000 could be included, along with a couple million of guaranteed money in the final season. The details should come to light in the next few days or following the moratorium through leaks.

• His Offensive Rebound Rate last season was 14.0, good for 8th in the NBA among players logging at least 1000 minutes. His Defensive Rebounding Rate is 28.8, good for 6th in the NBA in the same pool. In terms of total rebounding, the rate is 21.4, good for 4th in the NBA in that 1000+ minute pool. The only available player with better total rebounding rate is Deandre Jordan, who is choosing from a number of max deals.

I don't mind the $12m per - that's the market from yesterday. It's the five years, even if one is non-guaranteed. He turns 29 on Saturday. Guaranteed 12.25m at 32 on a big man who's already had injury trouble? Yikes

Reel

Community Liaison
I don't mind the $12m per - that's the market from yesterday. It's the five years, even if one is non-guaranteed. He turns 29 on Saturday. Guaranteed 12.25m at 32 on a big man who's already had injury trouble? Yikes

T.Chandler is 32 and making $13M per for 4 years with his new deal :dunno:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Stauskas is a 6'6" shooting guard who can shoot the 3 AND drive to the rim.

Jimmer is a 6'2" shooting guard who needs to run off multiple screens to get his own shot.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
who else are they going to get for less?

srs question
I dont think they need his player type. Spend the money on a guard or wing. I think they should use davis as a center and just run the hell out of teams. Asik just slows everything down

Reel

Community Liaison
I dont think they need his player type. Spend the money on a guard or wing. I think they should use davis as a center and just run the hell out of teams. Asik just slows everything down

but they still have money tho

see Paw's post

Reel

Community Liaison

but seriously...word on the twitta is that LA is thinking about Phx b/c he doesnt want to play Center, i mean, he can, but he doesnt want to and thats why Phx having Chandler is making him weigh his options

why does AD have to play center if thats the case?

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I watched the playoffs when my Heat won. Damn sure don't watch no regular season trash. My team this year was the Dubs. Next year, prolly the Spurs.

If you join the Spurs next year I think you should retroactively change your allegiance for 2014 finals to Spurs. First person to 4 peat since bob Russell with the celtics in the last century.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
but they still have money tho

see Paw's post
Bru, im talking about just having asik on the team. Not talking about what they can add. If asik was only playing when davis was out they could run a different system. They'll just slow it down when he's in, i think they would be better served with another athletic 4 and just running teams. Asik would be good for the playoffs when they need to slow it down though, and by year 4 that will be the veterans minimum :laughing:

Reel

Community Liaison
Bru, im talking about just having asik on the team. Not talking about what they can add. If asik was only playing when davis was out they could run a different system. They'll just slow it down when he's in, i think they would be better served with another athletic 4 and just running teams. Asik would be good for the playoffs when they need to slow it down though, and by year 4 that will be the veterans minimum :laughing:

who is this athletic 4 that you speak of

evil1

Milwaukee had a pretty good showing in their return to the playoffs last season.

They now can provide a really good 25 and under starting lineup.