• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Coaches' Hot Seat/ Carousel 2015-16

Lightningwar

Administrator
ESPN asked why not Mack Brown at UGA? I thought he was too old for the position. Then looked up his age. He is only 64? I thought he was mid 70s easy. I also cant believe Gary Johnson is only 58. Dude looks 70 easy.

Renegade

Charge on!
Waiting for our Rivals guy to confirm. If he says it's done, then I believe it's done. Til then or til the university says something...

I did have Babers at the top of my list the past few weeks along with Orgeron and Schiano. He definitely could have been a player somewhere like Mizzou, but UCF is a much better job than Iowa State and that sort of stuff. Looking forward to an offensive minded coach who can use the WRs we have to score some points. My only concern with Babers is bringing in a legit DC...BGSU is below middle of the MAC in defense, and I'd expect more at UCF. I don't think his DC has the requisite experience to be DC at UCF, so I'm hoping our ability to pay $400-500k for a DC will get us someone legit to match with his offense.

Most of all, I just thank my lucky stars that we aren't getting Cristobal or Collins.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
In non-HC news, Penn State fired John Donovan, deservedly so.

Good news for Penn State. Now, if they can just take game management responsibilities away from Franklin, they could really have something there.

Waiting for our Rivals guy to confirm. If he says it's done, then I believe it's done. Til then or til the university says something...

I did have Babers at the top of my list the past few weeks along with Orgeron and Schiano. He definitely could have been a player somewhere like Mizzou, but UCF is a much better job than Iowa State and that sort of stuff. Looking forward to an offensive minded coach who can use the WRs we have to score some points. My only concern with Babers is bringing in a legit DC...BGSU is below middle of the MAC in defense, and I'd expect more at UCF. I don't think his DC has the requisite experience to be DC at UCF, so I'm hoping our ability to pay $400-500k for a DC will get us someone legit to match with his offense.

Most of all, I just thank my lucky stars that we aren't getting Cristobal or Collins.

All I can say is I'm glad Michigan plays UCF next year instead of 2 or 3 years from now. Babers scares me. If I were Rutgers (or Maryland), I would be going after him for sure. Going the Indiana route is a lot smarter in that division than going for a traditional MAC, CEO-type hire.

PSUEagle

Think UGA will extend an offer to Pruitt for the position?

I think they should seriously consider him: he's already had a significant hand in many of their assistant hires, changing Football Operations, Strength & Conditioning, etc. I think he could do very well as HC.

With that said, Tom Herman is worth taking a risk on: he has Top 5 CFB coach type potential. Actually, given how Urban likes to keep the defensive staffs in place at his stops it wouldn't surprise me if UGA retained Pruitt. Those two together could be a lethal combination if the egos work (biggest question).

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
All I can say is I'm glad Michigan plays UCF next year instead of 2 or 3 years from now. Babers scares me. If I were Rutgers (or Maryland), I would be going after him for sure. Going the Indiana route is a lot smarter in that division than going for a traditional MAC, CEO-type hire.

Babers was on my shortlist. If Rutgers was going to go the MAC route I had Campbell as 1 and Babers as 1A.

I really don't want Cristobal, Golden or Schiano, but maybe Matt Rhule is in play now for Rutgers, as I felt like he was going to be off the board fast.

PSUEagle

Babers was on my shortlist. If Rutgers was going to go the MAC route I had Campbell as 1 and Babers as 1A.

I really don't want Cristobal, Golden or Schiano, but maybe Matt Rhule is in play now for Rutgers, as I felt like he was going to be off the board fast.

Prepare to be disappointed: he sucked as an OC for Golden at Temple and he won games this year because he has senior laden team that's played together for three years.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Prepare to be disappointed: he sucked as an OC for Golden at Temple and he won games this year because he has senior laden team that's played together for three years.

Every OC Golden has had sucked. Anyway, the guy I really want is Todd Monken and I know there is no chance he gets hired here.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I think they should seriously consider him: he's already had a significant hand in many of their assistant hires, changing Football Operations, Strength & Conditioning, etc. I think he could do very well as HC.

With that said, Tom Herman is worth taking a risk on: he has Top 5 CFB coach type potential. Actually, given how Urban likes to keep the defensive staffs in place at his stops it wouldn't surprise me if UGA retained Pruitt. Those two together could be a lethal combination if the egos work (biggest question).

I always figured Pruitt as Richts successor. But I didnt think it would come this quick. Be interesting to see if they make it work.

Renegade

Charge on!
Every OC Golden has had sucked. Anyway, the guy I really want is Todd Monken and I know there is no chance he gets hired here.

Monken will be a hot name next year when he wins CUSA West again and everyone realizes the Southern Miss turnaround is real.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I hope Richt isn't a candidate, I don't see the appeal. For some reason Dan Mullen's name keeps popping up. Just no.

Hire Butch and be done with it.

12310466_10153494949178153_5034157728273257368_n.png

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Tracy Claeys fired the entire offensive staff at Minnesota: http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/1...grover-passing-game-coordinator-jim-zebrowski

Seems like an odd move to me. Granted, Minnesota's offense hasn't set the world alight, but you think a continuity hire would have some continuity. Really curious to see what direction this goes. It could be the start of something pretty interesting at Minnesota, or it could signal that Claeys is just Tim Brewster.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I dont get the Mullen love. MSU has been a very avg team under Mullen except for last year. If Dak wasnt on the team they would had lost more than 4 this year.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Tracy Claeys fired the entire offensive staff at Minnesota: http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/1...grover-passing-game-coordinator-jim-zebrowski

Seems like an odd move to me. Granted, Minnesota's offense hasn't set the world alight, but you think a continuity hire would have some continuity. Really curious to see what direction this goes. It could be the start of something pretty interesting at Minnesota, or it could signal that Claeys is just Tim Brewster.

It is interesting move. afaik this staff has followed Kill around. So to break it up is pretty drastic. Anyways I think Claeys is an interim coach anyways. MN doesnt have an AD. And the interim AD signed Claeys to a 2 year contract. So i think this is all to get MN through the transition in the athletic department. Once they find an AD I expect Claeys to go away. Unless he drastically improves the team in 2 seasons.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Obligatory

minnesota-coach-eating-a-dilly-bar-in-snow.gif

It is interesting move. afaik this staff has followed Kill around. So to break it up is pretty drastic. Anyways I think Claeys is an interim coach anyways. MN doesnt have an AD. And the interim AD signed Claeys to a 2 year contract. So i think this is all to get MN through the transition in the athletic department. Once they find an AD I expect Claeys to go away. Unless he drastically improves the team in 2 seasons.

Right, the same staff had been together for something like 19 years. It is odd that he'd dump them so fast. I wonder if he thought they sucked for 19 years and was just itching to get rid of them.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I dont get the Mullen love. MSU has been a very avg team under Mullen except for last year. If Dak wasnt on the team they would had lost more than 4 this year.

He recruited Dak so that doesn't really seem like an indictment to me...

Mississippi State's overall winning percentage is .461 without Mullen. Mullen has won .607 of his games there in arguably the toughest division in college football. That's why people recognize he's a good coach.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
He recruited Dak so that doesn't really seem like an indictment to me...

Mississippi State's overall winning percentage is .461 without Mullen. Mullen has won .607 of his games there in arguably the toughest division in college football. That's why people recognize he's a good coach.

Definitely. Mullen is 54-35 in 7 seasons there. The 7 seasons before he got there they were a combined 26-57 and to get up to 54 wins you have to go back to 1998 and Jackie Sherrill's cheating hey days.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Obligatory

minnesota-coach-eating-a-dilly-bar-in-snow.gif

Right, the same staff had been together for something like 19 years. It is odd that he'd dump them so fast. I wonder if he thought they sucked for 19 years and was just itching to get rid of them.

Makes me wonder if there wasnt internal strife for years but Kill kept it in check. At the first opportunity one side took the other side out. In the end I dont think it matters. I will be totally shocked if this staff is around after the end of the 2 year contract.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Lost Coach Golesh to ISU and Campbell. So much for keeping Cubit bringing stability to the staff. Throwing in the towel it's time to move on.

PSUEagle

Not directly relevant, but Miami just fired OC Bill Lazor.

Good chance he stays in the NFL (coordinator or position coach), but I'm saying a prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Penn State hires him: would be an awesome replacement for Donovan as OC.