• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sports Bar Random Discussion Thread

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
ya'll have really fucked up my intentions for this thread when i created it on the old board

let try to get this back on track

what side are you on with the bball high schoolers going straight to the league?

I say, let them go at 18, but if for whatever reason, they dont get drafted, allow them to go to a school should they choose or make the D-league a viable option (which appears to be happening with the new CBA)

if they choose to go to college, then they have to go for at least 2 years

discuss

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
ya'll have really fucked up my intentions for this thread when i created it on the old board

let try to get this back on track

what side are you on with the bball high schoolers going straight to the league?

I say, let them go at 18, but if for whatever reason, they dont get drafted, allow them to go to a school should they choose or make the D-league a viable option (which appears to be happening with the new CBA)

if they choose to go to college, then they have to go for at least 2 years

discuss

Basically, the baseball model. I'm cool with that.

Reel

Community Liaison
Basically, the baseball model. I'm cool with that.

correct me if im wrong as my baseball experience has been limited to OOTP, but the team that drafts you essentially holds your rights so if you go to college, you then can join the team when you decide to leave right?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
correct me if im wrong as my baseball experience has been limited to OOTP, but the team that drafts you essentially holds your rights so if you go to college, you then can join the team when you decide to leave right?

My understanding is that you can be drafted out of HS but as soon as you attend classes in college the team who drafted you loses your draft rights and the player can't be drafted until after their 3rd year in college.

You described the hockey model.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Always thought the freshman rule was dumb, a lot of these guys shouldn't be wasting their time in college.

Reel

Community Liaison
My understanding is that you can be drafted out of HS but as soon as you attend classes in college the team who drafted you loses your draft rights and the player can't be drafted until after their 3rd year in college.

You described the hockey model.

in OOTP, i thought that was only the case if the player didnt want to sign with you. THey go to college, then reenter the draft the next year or something

@Mr. Radpants
@Travis7401
@TonyGin&Juice

Reel

Community Liaison
Always thought the freshman rule was dumb, a lot of these guys shouldn't be wasting their time in college.

this...just let them go straight to the D-league

one thing in the new CBA is raising the starting salary to compete with what they would make overseas to entice them to stay here.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Interesting side bar. why are there a significamt number of high school players able to succeed in basketball when this isn't the case in most other professional team sports?

Reel

Community Liaison
Interesting side bar. why are there a significamt number of high school players able to succeed in basketball when this isn't the case in most other professional team sports?

damn...good question

lets come back to this one

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

It's really only true for football that kids out of school aren't able to succeed. And that's only because their bodies are generally not ready to hold up in the NFL.

kingssc

Baseball is just because even if you're playing on traveling teams and such, you're not consistently seeing top-level pitching (or hitting if you're a pitcher), and you need time to refine your skills.

Soccer, the US' best player is only 18 years old so there's no issue with age there.

No idea about hockey.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
No. Not anymore. The rule used to be if you were drafted and attended a 4-year college, the moment you enroll in a college class you forfeit your ability to be drafted for 3 years and the team that drafted you lost the rights. If you went JUCO or Independent ball after being drafted, the drafting team held your rights up until the next draft and could sign you at any time (called it 'Draft and Follow').

Afew years ago, they removed that rule. There is now roughly a month+ (I think 5-6 weeks) after the draft that a team must sign their pick, or they lose their rights and the player goes back to the draft the following year.

Larry Fitzgerald

No. Not anymore. The rule used to be if you were drafted and attended a 4-year college, the moment you enroll in a college class you forfeit your ability to be drafted for 3 years and the team that drafted you lost the rights. If you went JUCO or Independent ball after being drafted, the drafting team held your rights up until the next draft and could sign you at any time (called it 'Draft and Follow').

Afew years ago, they removed that rule. There is now roughly a month+ (I think 5-6 weeks) after the draft that a team must sign their pick, or they lose their rights and the player goes back to the draft the following year.
The "Mark Appel" rule.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

LEACH-F-U.gif

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
What number is 'significant'? Granted this number is artificially deflated by the one and done rule, but there were only 44 HS players drafted directly into the NBA. Only 10 of those 44 even went on to make an All-Star team.

If you look at the names its Lebron, Kobe, Amare, Dwight Howard, McGrady type guys. Dudes that are just hyper fucking athletic, which is really all that it takes to make it onto an NBA roster.

Reel

Community Liaison
good point

Darius Miles was one of those dudes and couldnt hoop for shit once he played against other athletic guys with similar builds

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Meanwhile, over in Canada...

The last thing I want is the Redblacks to become the Buffalo Bills of the Grey Cup: making the final only to lose it.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Behold! Corch @osick87 teaching the Calgary Horsosaurauses to play the game properly. (in the first scene)
They wouldn't. oops.

Last edited:

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Kirby Bio

Hometown: Kahnawake, Quebec
High School: IMG Academy

DLIIQITPHSGPGIF.20160125175345.jpg

This only gets more interesting:

Personal: Intending to major in sociology... Son of Jamie Kirby and Monique Huber... Has three brothers, Logan Huber, Thanakehrahne Kirby and Matthew Crossman, and four sisters, Kanontienentha Brass, Tekanenhorens Brass and Ionatarishon Kirby and Seneca Kirby.

I'm guessing these folks are First Nations.