• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They were Yankee and Travis' idea..... I just fucked up my ticket prices. :laughing:

Yankee is a autist, he can prove anything as well as I could do ask him for his results and post them in a thread dedicated to analyzing the actual data and not in a thread asking for ideas.

I’m trying to give you guys a roadmap to get what you want but it’s not easy. It took me more work than I’d care to admit to get the WBL idea passed unanimously and I still crossed my fingers that it would actually be what my tests showed

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's not me that's doing it, I'm just sticking up for @NML who's been nothing but reasonable throughout.

And I’m telling you why it wasn’t as reasonable as you think. It’s hard to tell you what you don’t know, but the ones really opposed are original GMs from 2012 with an insane number of league alterations under their belt. You should be asking yourselves why they’re so difficult, and it’s not that the WBL is perfect like you’re assuming. It’s that changes can go really wrong with even the best intentions

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Yankee is a autist, he can prove anything as well as I could do ask him for his results and post them in a thread dedicated to analyzing the actual data and not in a thread asking for ideas.

I’m trying to give you guys a roadmap to get what you want but it’s not easy. It took me more work than I’d care to admit to get the WBL idea passed unanimously and I still crossed my fingers that it would actually be what my tests showed

I honestly don't mind where this goes. Never have. I'm just suggesting what could make it more fun, and am behind @NML if he want's to start a new league. I'm just confused by the posturing that goes on when someone suggests making things more fun...

You've been reasonable and suggested that there would be difficulties. I'm just saying that I don't think that's what the objections have been about in general. issues can be overcome, or dismissed in a far more reasonable manner.

As I said, so what if @NML sets up a new league and it's broke dick? No-one has to play it exclusively/forever.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I honestly don't mind where this goes. Never have. I'm just suggesting what could make it more fun, and am behind @NML if he want's to start a new league. I'm just confused by the posturing that goes on when someone suggests making things more fun...

You've been reasonable and suggested that there would be difficulties. I'm just saying that I don't think that's what the objections have been about in general. issues can be overcome, or dismissed in a far more reasonable manner.

As I said, so what if @NML sets up a new league and it's broke dick? No-one has to play it exclusively/forever.

Yeah this is a perfect plan. I’m telling you if NML has the secret sauce and creates a better league people will choose it over the WBL

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
and part of the outright dismissal is about this happening 50 times already in different forms. We used to post novels in change threads back in the day but at this point the old guys would be restating what they’ve already said many times before. I just don’t think you guys are reading it the right way and I don’t blame you because it does seem like you think. I just have dealt with them on bigger issues than this is before and have swayed them to my POV so I know it can be done.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I do enjoy seeing the owners who are against a big change and already discussing the proper way to implement OTTO
I think this post while I was mid sperg sent me over the edge, given the financial tweaks and tests I was trying at the time.

Of the 4 new owners to post, worst, Schauwn and Reel didn't request much in the way of new changes (only new player accommodations by Reel), and goblue asked for rev sharing (done), no IFA (well maybe), and no 10 page long debate threads (fat chance).

If the league was dead, or we had 10 new guys who all wanted a fresh start (and came in and said so), this would be a different argument because switching leagues/timeskipping could lead to a 24 team league (or whatever). Instead, we have the chance to simply make tweaks so that at least some of reel, schauwn, goblue, and worst are set up to join in a comfortable manner, and that would solve a major problem of lack of owners.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I think this post while I was mid sperg sent me over the edge, given the financial tweaks and tests I was trying at the time.

Of the 4 new owners to post, worst, Schauwn and Reel didn't request much in the way of new changes (only new player accommodations by Reel), and goblue asked for rev sharing (done), no IFA (well maybe), and no 10 page long debate threads (fat chance).

If the league was dead, or we had 10 new guys who all wanted a fresh start (and came in and said so), this would be a different argument because switching leagues/timeskipping could lead to a 24 team league (or whatever). Instead, we have the chance to simply make tweaks so that at least some of reel, schauwn, goblue, and worst are set up to join in a comfortable manner, and that would solve a major problem of lack of owners.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My biggest take was that no one wants to join when they'd be taking over a crippled shitshow franchise. I get that, it's why I made proposals that I think would keep teams on otto from falling so far behind. I'm also not against a new league, but that's definitely my second choice after tweaking the WBL.

I don't think some of you'll understand how great the WBL is compared to other OOTP leagues. We could be simming a month at a time or in a replay of the dead-ball era. If we had regularly been posting updates and histories from the WBL over at the game forums, we'd probably have won some award from IndyDevPigs by now.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Can confirm. I've been in 5 or 6 online leagues including the WBL, including some that are really long lasting, well reputed leagues. A lot of my hesitation with big changes or with a new league is that the WBL is so good and so well refined and that the Os and NOs have earned trust over the years.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I told NML and the O’s two leagues was a bad idea because it’s tough to keep one active.

I also get the impression it’s new league or bust for NML. That’s fine and I think you guys should open to it if you still want to play.

I thought changing the WBL and simming forward 20 seasons was the worst idea. I thought it would be best to make some rules changes and proceed with the WBL where it stands or just start fresh.

My biggest concern is that there wasnt really discussion involving the new/returning owners.

Last edited:

NML

I don't think some of you'll understand how great the WBL is compared to other OOTP leagues

Can confirm. I've been in 5 or 6 online leagues including the WBL, including some that are really long lasting, well reputed leagues. A lot of my hesitation with big changes or with a new league is that the WBL is so good and so well refined and that the Os and NOs have earned trust over the years.

Why do y’all think that is?

For me, it has nothing to do with the league and everything to do with utopia. Remember, this is a website built for a video game that hasn’t been made for five years, that most of us haven’t played in 10+ years.

I think y’all give too much credit to the WBL and not enough to forums (that you continually say we have to recruit outside of)

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This is very true - but I also have a suspicion that this is all a little too much for a newbie
Got me before I edited. Thanks for understanding my point.

Yes, that is true, but it’s really part of the league. These discussions happen regularly when things are active. I tried to bring up questions more directly as well and I don’t think we heard from anyone other than goblue and shauwn. It would be great to know what kept them from joining in the past.

Of course people are going to debate changes though. Most things that are in place are because that’s the compromise we came to. No idea is perfect or pleases everyone.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Why do y’all think that is?

For me, it has nothing to do with the league and everything to do with utopia. Remember, this is a website built for a video game that hasn’t been made for five years, that most of us haven’t played in 10+ years.

I think y’all give too much credit to the WBL and not enough to forums (that you continually say we have to recruit outside of)

This is true, I don't mean to slight our base of awesome dudes here. I think we've just exhausted our population, outside of a couple of returns. @kella and @Irishman and @guy are never going to join, as fun as that would be.

I think it's been time to expand from our base of awesome Nutopians, but it's hard to fire up recruiting and engagement when we're a version behind and no call has been made on when we're upgraded.

I think settling on an upgrade cadence would be beneficial for any league. E.g. Always upgrade July 4 during the sale, recruit replacements especially at that time since people fall off.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I wouldn't want to burden you guys. I can't even stay on top of a fantasy football team lol.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Just having you flame everyone else's decisions would be a valued enough contribution

Speaking of, I remembered the collabs I did with @Wendell Gee back in the day. Good times. Apparently I had a southern accent back in the day? Maybe I still have one!

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
This is true, I don't mean to slight our base of awesome dudes here. I think we've just exhausted our population, outside of a couple of returns. @kella and @Irishman and @guy are never going to join, as fun as that would be.

I think it's been time to expand from our base of awesome Nutopians, but it's hard to fire up recruiting and engagement when we're a version behind and no call has been made on when we're upgraded.

I think settling on an upgrade cadence would be beneficial for any league. E.g. Always upgrade July 4 during the sale, recruit replacements especially at that time since people fall off.

Since we missed the ASG sale, should we just commit now to the sale during the World Series? Both for this version and going forward. Getting it at the end of the year also lets us not have to worry about patches.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
There normally aren’t many patches after ASB. You’ll can blame me for not upgrading if you want. I wasn’t interested.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was only interested if the menus look nicer. I could get on board with recruiting for new members on the OOTP boards. We just need to make them go through a substantial hazing process to make sure they are Utopians.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I was only interested if the menus look nicer. I could get on board with recruiting for new members on the OOTP boards. We just need to make them go through a substantial hazing process to make sure they are Utopians.

Some pubers gonna cry....

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This confuses me :

This is a group friends playing a game, and one guy has asked if anyone wants to change the rules or start a new game because he's a bit bored of it (as were several others that quit) and everyone treats him like a he's a maniac.

Y'all acted like you've painted the sistine chapel, and he came in, took a dump and started smearing it everywhere. It's like the league itself has become more important than the people playing it.

I'm happy with anything really. I just think it's an excellent idea to discuss new ways which could make it more fun and accessible to play a game, and breath life into something that might have become a bit stale. The absolute strangest thing is that people are quitting because of this when it's the most normal thing in the world to do. I can understand quitting when something's boring and unchanging, but quitting when someone's trying to discuss ways of making it more fun is just weird.
You probably have a different view than most because this is your first -- and not 7th-- time going through this.

I'm fine with changes. I don't really care that much either way. New playoff format is the only hill I will die on. I think the playoff format has meant people stop caring during the regular season.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
a scheduled DRAFT KICOFF LIVE DRAFT EVENT WITH YANKEE McSHAY is the only thing I really want. We can try 1 round and host it on Discord and I'll record a vidya. Everyone gets a 5 minute clock so plan on attending LIVE or make a draft list (I'll even help you!) or tell us you want OTTO or BPA based on Yankee's big board, lol.

With 5 minute limits It would take 1 hour and 20 minutes max to make it through a round and I think it'd be really fun.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
a scheduled DRAFT KICOFF LIVE DRAFT EVENT WITH YANKEE McSHAY is the only thing I really want. We can try 1 round and host it on Discord and I'll record a vidya. Everyone gets a 5 minute clock so plan on attending LIVE or make a draft list (I'll even help you!) or tell us you want OTTO or BPA based on Yankee's big board, lol.

With 5 minute limits It would take 1 hour and 20 minutes max to make it through a round and I think it'd be really fun.

Game of the week/month. I really think live events will make it (even) moar fun.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

If we Otto based on Yankee's big board we need Jets Fan Cams on other GMs to get their reaction when they watch Yankee blow their pick.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
If we're recruiting outside of Nutopia, we'll probably have to move to 20.
@Reel
@worst2first
@goblue96
@GatorTD
@kingssc
@whiteyc_77
@Schauwn
@nowitsourtime

Can we get a firm commitment from any of you'll? With or without stipulations.

The Oslo Ice Castles are saying “put me in coach”

Our mascot is ready.
tenor.gif

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Actually, logistically speaking this one is worth discussing. We have one team (Buffalo) in an ecumenapolis, and Buffalo would actually cover all the oceans, making this impossible. But, Buffalo would also cover all the other cities that host other teams, so really none of our teams should exist anymore. The Riggers play in an actual Dyson Sphere somewhere above what was once North Dakota, so I think they are fine. So it looks like REQUEST DENIED for plot consistency, but most of the rest of us lose our teams also.

So, I guess this is how the WBL died. And from the ashes of this technological disaster, NML will build his star empire.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Schtick aside... what teams are available and which is @worst2first taking over and where is he moving them?
Well it depends on a couple things but these teams are for sure available:

Lisbon
Helga

These teams are available provided their old owners don't want them specifically @OU11 @Wolfman21 (who is waiting to move to 20)

Amsterdam
Kabul

And this team is available provided there is one available for him to take over hisself:

North Dakota

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Is radford playing? He only plays if Quale plays and I only play if he plays so where do I stand

jdlikewhoa

Well it depends on a couple things but these teams are for sure available:

Lisbon
Helga

These teams are available provided their old owners don't want them specifically @OU11 @Wolfman21 (who is waiting to move to 20)

Amsterdam
Kabul

And this team is available provided there is one available for him to take over hisself:

North Dakota

FIFY

So we have only one real team available. We’re doing better than NML thought!