• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

RIFT WALKERS (Into the Breach)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So I've been playing this game called Into the Breach lately. It won a bunch of best game awards back in 2018 and it was recommended to me by my good buddy @osick87. It's a turn-based tactical game that is like a really simple and tiny version of XCOM. Each procedural generated battlefield takes place on an 8x8 grid and you only have 3 MECHS to fight off the insect horde (VEKS) that destroyed earth in all the timelines. If the dirty buggers hit one of your buildings, you lose power from the "Power Grid" and when the power grid is empty, you lose the game.... but only kinda. You can then select a surviving pilot to travel to a new version of the simulation (alternate timeline) and fight the buggers again, but now with one experienced pilot. You can also win the game... but only kinda, as there is always another version of the simulation to save. There are RPG elements, allowing you to upgrade ur pilots and ur mechs and there are also 10+ different mercenary crews with different types of mechs to add to the replay value. It's a really cool game and is basically perfect in its simplicity and polish. Missions only take 5-10 minutes at most, so it is great for an adult with simulation baseball responsibilities!

So with that as the background, I decided to record a whiskey play vidya series of my 3rd attempt at the game. In the first timeline I was learning the game and making a lot of less than ideal decisions in battle, so it ended pretty quickly. In the second timeline I did a little better, but still didn't really "get" it. At this point, I understand the early game at least and am ready to give it a full shot! I will upload one vidya per day in this dynasty until we either win or die trying.

So here is the first vidya, which contains an overview of the game and the first level.

ZackMills

Have mercy
I much prefer the "I'm gonna do a Let's Play series and here's an actual video in the first post!" than the "I'm gonna make a video of me playing this vidya game" and never follow through.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Not only do I have one vidya, I'm actually committed to finishing this series, which is usually my problem with Whiskey Plays. I'm well on my way, and because I'm not very good I might finish tonight!

Vidya 2 is a tidal wave map, which is one of my favorite twists in the game.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Re-watching this mission is painful because there was definitely a way to avoid taking building damage on the 2nd turn. If I shot the scorpion with the cannon first, it would have done 1 damage and pushed him into the beetle, doing one additional damage to each. I could have then moved the artillery to the southwest and shot the scorpion to kill it, and this would have pushed the beetle into the tidal square, killing it at the end of the turn. I could have then just put my punchy mech on top of one of the emerging VEK squares.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Island 1 - Mission 3

This one features air support! I used a good turn reset to save ma'self from a poor move!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I got so distracted by the internet today that I almost forgot to post this! Another really nice mission, things are shaping up nicely on Island 1!

I also forgot to tag @Reel in this thread, since this is a game he'd probably enjoy since it is in that XCOM genre, even though it isn't quite as involved.

ZackMills

Have mercy
I think I'd be more likely to watch these videos in if in the screencap there was an image of you with a STUNNED look on your face. There is a reason why Ya Boi Bugz is so popular!