• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

International Soccer

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Honduras isn't even a sure win that they can breeze by. Bus gon be parked

Chase

I am really interested in seeing which French team is going to show up. Its just real shitty that Frank wont be on the pitch.

France and England (Holland, to a degree) are either gone crash out in the group round or could very easily get to to a QF. Wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador won that group.

Didn't one of you guys create a World Cup bracket group on ESPN?

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
France and England (Holland, to a degree) are either gone crash out in the group round or could very easily get to to a QF. Wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador won that group.

Didn't one of you guys create a World Cup bracket group on ESPN?

Me. Password is chibob, not sure if you need anything else.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Reus is an odd target on that team. Why is he out? Cramps? That didn't look that bad.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The coach and training staff would have thrown up the modesty curtain and just shot Deadman on the field. Put him out of his continued misery

They have to shoot me? I can't even get the common courtesy of a morphine overdose?

Chase

Cameroon refusing to board their flight to Brazil over bonus money. Smells like Eto'o.

Just let Sweden join Group A. #daretozlatan

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Spain is really boring to me. They piddle around too much.
They've done this for years. They bored their way to winning Euro 2012. They will bore their way to winning the World Cup. This sort of football used to be considered "attractive". Ticky tacky has become a 4-2-3-1, false 9, no pace bore-fest. Unfortunately, it's quite a good system to win stuff, especially in hot climates.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
They've done this for years. They bored their way to winning Euro 2012. They will bore their way to winning the World Cup. This sort of football used to be considered "attractive". Ticky tacky has become a 4-2-3-1, false 9, no pace bore-fest. Unfortunately, it's quite a good system to win stuff, especially in hot climates.

Don't get me wrong, I respect them for creating a system that fits their strengths and allows them to win. I just don't understand the people who hate the Greeks for their style and love Spain. Honestly it is almost the exact same thing, Spain is just "defending" all game by playing keep away instead of soccer. Spain are like that high school basketball team that just passes around the back court all game because there is no shot clock and they are trying to limit possessions and win a 8-6 game. I can respect giving your team the best chance to win by playing some inherently limiting/negative style, but as a spectator I would rather watch something else.

The juxtaposition between Spain love and Greek hate is what confuses me. I'm convinced that most people just don't actually watch Spain play. They watch like 5 minutes of cool passing and then leave and watch the highlights later. If that's all you see, it is a thrilling style! Meanwhile, I watch every minute of Spain's games because my wife has a boner for them, and I end up yelling at the TV for them to fucking take a shot. I've seen them literally pass up a free shot from inside the box so they could dump it back to Xavi and work it around some more. FUUUU.

The thing that really pisses me off most is when they are in a tied game in the second half and they still do fucking short corners when they have Pique and Sergio Ramos on the roster. Look, you cunts, this is like the one time you can legitimately use your big guys who are good in the air and you piddle dick it short instead. You have some of the most accurate corner takers in the world and a couple of the most prolific scoring defenders and you don't try to score on these set pieces? (and spain get about a million corners per game too) FUUUUU. I understand short corners when they have the lead (more time wasting possession) but when they are trying to score a goal against a team that is bunkered, why not bring up Ramos and give him a chance? My favorite part about the corners is that I swear to God they only sent like 2 normal corners in properly during the whole 2010 world cup, and one ended up as the huge goal Puyol had to give them the lead against Germany (and the other he almost scored but was just off target)

In 2010, they at least had Villa who would take a chance from outside the box. During the 2012 Euros they were impossible to watch.

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
Eight of us picked names out of a hat and I got Brazil, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Mexico.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Don't get me wrong, I respect them for creating a system that fits their strengths and allows them to win. I just don't understand the people who hate the Greeks for their style and love Spain. Honestly it is almost the exact same thing, Spain is just "defending" all game by playing keep away instead of soccer. Spain are like that high school basketball team that just passes around the back court all game because there is no shot clock and they are trying to limit possessions and win a 8-6 game. I can respect giving your team the best chance to win by playing some inherently limiting/negative style, but as a spectator I would rather watch something else.

This is what attracted me to the older Dutch style of play. They wanted to entertain. They wanted to win 4-3 compared to winning 1-0/2-1. Did they win anything with that philosophy? No. Was it fun to watch? Hell, yes.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I need to decide who I am going to root for. I have it down to The Netherlands, Belgium, and Portugal.

Did you know a European team has never won the World Cup in South America? The Germans seem unstoppable, but can they play in the heat?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I need to decide who I am going to root for. I have it down to The Netherlands, Belgium, and Portugal.

Did you know a European team has never won the World Cup in South America? The Germans seem unstoppable, but can they play in the heat?

Come join the Dutch fan club with me and Milo.

article-0-0A071DFB000005DC-622_634x409.jpg

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

INGERLAND. We're not all cunts.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

article-0-0A071DFB000005DC-622_634x409.jpg

My next door neighbour is Dutch, and out of my whole neighbourhood, she's the most annoying person. They have a fucking "know it all" way about them. And they don't all look like that. Most Dutch people that I know are "big boned". Actually, a few of those girls are deceptively big.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Man the world cup schedule really sucks for watching in the US if you're not in the eastern time zone. I'm going to be at work for all 3 game times during the week. Which I suppose isn't a huge problem with espn3, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Milo

I stopped renewing my subscription when Nigel De Jong tried to break Stuart Holden in half.

I'm all in on Switzerland(dat midfield, 2011-12 FC Basel team with Xhaka and Shaqiri) and I've been riding the Belgium bandwagon since that 06-07 Standard Liege team with Defour, Fellaini and Witsel(and Gooch).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just cheer for Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and Belgium* because I like winners.

*Reserves right to swap Belgium out for better team.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
My next door neighbour is Dutch, and out of my whole neighbourhood, she's the most annoying person. They have a fucking "know it all" way about them. And they don't all look like that. Most Dutch people that I know are "big boned". Actually, a few of those girls are deceptively big.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
All you'll Belgian "fans" who don't have Belgian blood can GTFO.

[/soccer elitist fan. "boots, kit, pitch." Fuck you]

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Hayvis, give us some good, old-fashioned English defeatism and pessimism Chi-bob is too much of an optimistic homer.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think the loser of Engerland vs Italy is going to flame out big time and not make it out of that group. Either way, I think it will be entertaining.