• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Thanks. Enjoy being the tallest midget in the SEC East.
0e3.png

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Imo Ruhle felt he needed to strike while the iron was hot. 2017 is going to be a serious rebuilding project for the Owls (they lose their QB, top RB and 5 of the top 7 leading tacklers).

And Temple's stadium situation is up in the air. The Eagles want double the rent to play at the Linc and the on-campus options are slim to non-existent. Franklin Field? PPL Park?

Renegade

Charge on!
Ruhle must have REALLY wanted out at Temple to take the Baylor job. There's going to be a cloud over that program for the foreseeable future. They lost most of their 2016 class and have like 2 commits for 2017, neither of which is higher than 3*. If Herman can get Texas back to their usual state, Baylor is going back to the cellar, regardless how much money McLane throws into the program.

I think his lack of recruiting ties to Texas is going to hurt big. Temple is losing a ton and going to be a cellar-dweller next year, so he's striking while the iron's hot. He seems to be an excellent coach, but this is an odd fit and it's a bad set up for him imo.

R2D2

Still think Oregon should hire Bryan Harsin. 31-8 in three years at Boise State including a Fiesta win over Rich Rod's Arizona squad.

Brick

Still think Oregon should hire Bryan Harsin. 31-8 in three years at Boise State including a Fiesta win over Rich Rod's Arizona squad.
He could be great, but given the culture he inherited from CORCH PETE, and the PROGRUM's success even before that, I don't think a good record is an indication of anything, really. Look at their records since joining FBS: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/boise-state/

If you look more closely, he had some weird losses last year, including at home against both New Mexico and Air Force who lost 6 games each. Also got thumped 52-36 by Utah State who had a losing record. There are some flags there. He also had some more close calls on the blue turf this year against teams that aren't so great. That home field advantage is huge so that concerns me.

coogrfan

ake Trotter
ESPN Staff Writer

As CBS Sports first reported, Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley impressed Houston officials in a recent meeting for their vacant head job. According to Sam Kahn Jr., the Cougars have already met with Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin and former LSU coach Les Miles, as well. A hire could be made by the end of the week. Riley could be the one to watch here.

R2D2

He could be great, but given the culture he inherited from CORCH PETE, and the PROGRUM's success even before that, I don't think a good record is an indication of anything, really. Look at their records since joining FBS: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/boise-state/

If you look more closely, he had some weird losses last year, including at home against both New Mexico and Air Force who lost 6 games each. Also got thumped 52-36 by Utah State who had a losing record. There are some flags there. He also had some more close calls on the blue turf this year against teams that aren't so great. That home field advantage is huge so that concerns me.

IIRC their starting QB got injured and they had to play a freshman. Not 100% about this, just something I read months ago.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Must be thinking of some other team, because Rypien started every game for them this year.

I was high on Harsin before this season and still think he's a good corch, but he totally shit the bed this season. They have more talent than everybody else in the MWC and should've gone 12-0 after beating Wazzu. Instead, he loses to New Mexico for the third straight year, which indicates he sucks at adjusting or getting his DC to adjust (different DC this year but still).

I think that would be a terrible hire for Oregon.

R2D2

Must be thinking of some other team, because Rypien started every game for them this year.

I was high on Harsin before this season and still think he's a good corch, but he totally shit the bed this season. They have more talent than everybody else in the MWC and should've gone 12-0 after beating Wazzu. Instead, he loses to New Mexico for the third straight year, which indicates he sucks at adjusting or getting his DC to adjust (different DC this year but still).

I think that would be a terrible hire for Oregon.

Might have been last season then. I don't really know. However, Bob Davie has done a pretty good job at New Mexico. Wonder if he will ever get another shot at a big conference program.

Thepro_23

Might have been last season then. I don't really know. However, Bob Davie has done a pretty good job at New Mexico. Wonder if he will ever get another shot at a big conference program.
I think he's too old to, but you never know. Crazy that he was out of coaching 10+ years and has had lots of success.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
This is pretty crazy to think about: Jim Harbaugh started at Stanford in 2007. So, less than a decade ago. 6 of his assistants have gone on to be head coaches in college already. Taggart, Shaw, Scott Shafer, Brian Polian, Derek Mason, and DJ Durkin. Plus Jim Tomsula, but he shouldn't really count.

Brick

I haven't seen a single game Taggart's coached, so I'm going in relatively blind and am not going to act like I have a big opinion on this hire. I do seem to remember him being on the hot seat at some point last season, if not before the season. Looks like he fired both coordinators.

What happened to COURSE CORRECTION TOUGH GUY RECRUITING search? Not to say I'm disappointed in this:
USF is #10 in total offense and #120 in total defense.
Oregon is #18 and #126 in those categories.
  • He did win more games in a single season at USF than Leavitt ever did, and Western Kentucky was coming off a winless season when he took over there. There's nothing bad to say about that.
  • With Herbert at QB and the skill talent Oregon has coming back, looks like the offense is in good hands if Taggart keeps his staff intact. And even if he doesn't, it looks like he's an offensive guy.
  • He had two 1000 yard backs this year, and 1000/900 the year before and they averaged 6.71 YPC which is amazing (2nd in the country, would be #1 most years). He also corched TOby GepHardt @Bmack
  • He does have a losing record as a head coach, but inheriting bad or struggling programs will do that to you. However, only one season over 8-5. No one would be looking at him as a serious major college candidate if USF didn't go 10-2 this season.
  • They scored at least 30 points in every game this season. I don't think you can really fluke your way to that. Only losses were AAC champion Temple and Florida State.
So for me I have no idea what to think. It really looks like they got a version of the Fedora/Mullen type that will keep the offense-first culture going. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic at this point.

Most importantly, he beat Kentucky twice while corch at Western and is responsible for this:

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I might have to be an Oregon fan now. One of my corches from college, who is on Tennessee's staff currently, but corched with Taggart at WKU and USF, could be joining him in Oregon.

Renegade

Charge on!
I haven't seen a single game Taggart's coached, so I'm going in relatively blind and am not going to act like I have a big opinion on this hire. I do seem to remember him being on the hot seat at some point last season, if not before the season. Looks like he fired both coordinators.

What happened to COURSE CORRECTION TOUGH GUY RECRUITING search? Not to say I'm disappointed in this:
USF is #10 in total offense and #120 in total defense.
Oregon is #18 and #126 in those categories.
  • He did win more games in a single season at USF than Leavitt ever did, and Western Kentucky was coming off a winless season when he took over there. There's nothing bad to say about that.
  • With Herbert at QB and the skill talent Oregon has coming back, looks like the offense is in good hands if Taggart keeps his staff intact. And even if he doesn't, it looks like he's an offensive guy.
  • He had two 1000 yard backs this year, and 1000/900 the year before and they averaged 6.71 YPC which is amazing (2nd in the country, would be #1 most years). He also corched TOby GepHardt @Bmack
  • He does have a losing record as a head coach, but inheriting bad or struggling programs will do that to you. However, only one season over 8-5. No one would be looking at him as a serious major college candidate if USF didn't go 10-2 this season.
  • They scored at least 30 points in every game this season. I don't think you can really fluke your way to that. Only losses were AAC champion Temple and Florida State.
So for me I have no idea what to think. It really looks like they got a version of the Fedora/Mullen type that will keep the offense-first culture going. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic at this point.

Most importantly, he beat Kentucky twice while corch at Western and is responsible for this:

- He has recruited extremely well; USF is stocked with talent, and he really hit a goldmine with Marlon Mack and Quinton Flowers, but Mack will go to the NFL this year
- They sucked ass his first few years because he tried to run the Stanford pro-style with a team that was built for the spread. Last year they adjusted to the spread and using their athletes, and the result is winning.
- Their defense sucks ass and has gotten worse each year under him regardless of firing his coordinators. Considering this is Oregon's problem, he's going to need a big upgrade there.
- He really turned it around at USF regardless; remember, they own what is among the biggest losses ever by FBS to FCS when they lost 53-21 to McNeese State in Willie's first year. He clearly can recruit talent.

Also, I am really hoping that they hire Greg Schiano and not Charlie Strong. That would really make my week.

coogrfan

- He has recruited extremely well; USF is stocked with talent, and he really hit a goldmine with Marlon Mack and Quinton Flowers, but Mack will go to the NFL this year
- They sucked ass his first few years because he tried to run the Stanford pro-style with a team that was built for the spread. Last year they adjusted to the spread and using their athletes, and the result is winning.
- Their defense sucks ass and has gotten worse each year under him regardless of firing his coordinators. Considering this is Oregon's problem, he's going to need a big upgrade there.
- He really turned it around at USF regardless; remember, they own what is among the biggest losses ever by FBS to FCS when they lost 53-21 to McNeese State in Willie's first year. He clearly can recruit talent.

Also, I am really hoping that they hire Greg Schiano and not Charlie Strong. That would really make my week.

Lane Kiffin to USF? Can you imagine how much fun UCF alum Daniel Tosh would have with that?

Renegade

Charge on!
Lane Kiffin to USF? Can you imagine how much fun UCF alum Daniel Tosh would have with that?

Yeah, it'd be hilarious. That said, I think Kiffin would do well there, so I'd prefer they not hire despite the comedic value.

Lol there's people who want schiano over Charlie strong? Good god.

I certainly do. Actually, my favorite name that has been mentioned is Lawrence Dawsey, who I think is just a good recruiter and not much else. I'd be thrilled if they managed to hire their version of Larry Porter.

coogrfan

ake Trotter
ESPN Staff Writer

As CBS Sports first reported, Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley impressed Houston officials in a recent meeting for their vacant head job. According to Sam Kahn Jr., the Cougars have already met with Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin and former LSU coach Les Miles, as well. A hire could be made by the end of the week. Riley could be the one to watch here.

Soonerfan09

I wonder if Riley is holding out for the OU job when Bob hangs it up or if he's going to try to get Texas Tech/A&M next season.

R2D2

"The school is meeting with Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell today, according to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, who adds that it’s unlikely Charlie Strong ends up at Cincinnati."

Skeeter

Uber felon
Fick might be a good hire for cinci. he was a train wreck when thrust into the role at OSU but now he's had 5 years under urban to learn some coaching tricks.

Hell of a recruiter and runs a decent defense.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He went 6-7 with more or less the same talent Urban went 12-0 with. Coaching hires are generally crapshoots, so who really knows. But that's not really what I'd be looking for.

I'd also wonder why other coaches on that team get hired instead of him. And why he's always been a co-defensive coordinator.

It is funny, though, that Cincinnati, which is a better program than Rutgers (sorry, Rutgers Mike), might get the worse end of Ash and Fickell.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He went 6-7 with more or less the same talent Urban went 12-0 with. Coaching hires are generally crapshoots, so who really knows. But that's not really what I'd be looking for.

I'd also wonder why other coaches on that team get hired instead of him. And why he's always been a co-defensive coordinator.

It is funny, though, that Cincinnati, which is a better program than Rutgers (sorry, Rutgers Mike), might get the worse end of Ash and Fickell.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.