• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Trade Wars Discussion

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Maybe I am still just pissed over losing yesterday after being up 3-0, so I am a little more hostile in my posting today. As you noted, I did make a trade after the trade deadline just in the name of helping Lloyd sign some picks. I remember some people being pissed. It was approved anyway. I assumed it was because no one really cared about the trade deadline when it came to picks and cash, especially if you were trying to help someone sign some picks. Anyway, apparently that is not the case, it was more the time of the draft or something. I don't remember all the details. I was wrong in assuming the trade deadline didn't matter that much to the Os when it came to draft picks and cash. but I really did think you approved that deal because you agreed with me that it was stupid. I also did not see the Tony and JD situation last year, or I would not have tried to make that trade. In fact, I have been talking with a few people about that kind of trade. I would not have done that if I knew the Buffalo deal was an exception and had I known about the Tony/JD thing last year.

If you remove the tone and acrimony in all the posts on this matter, however, and just look at the substance of the posts, I don't think anyone has given a good reason for the rule itself. These quoted responses still amount to "because it's the rule". They don't give a good reason for the rule, and here is why.

Managing a budget has nothing to do with the trade deadline, OTHER than the trade deadline is the arbitrary deadline when you can no longer trade cash.

Clearly you don't follow MLB or you'd understand that the reason you can't make trades like that is because baseball is a study in economics.

Let me make it simple for you - you have a budget, you have a 25-man roster, you have a 40-man, you have the trade deadline, and you have waivers. These are all of the tools you have to use to manage a team. If you think that ignoring the first (budget) and the next to last (trade deadline) why not just ignore the rest? If we had a 60 man roster I'd have it full by the All-Star break, fortunately we don't. The only two things we really don't do in this league that MLB uses are comp picks (too difficult to implement) and the Rule V draft. You keep demanding an answer other than "the rule is the rule" so here you go - it's baseball, just accept it or quit playing.

NML

Alright, got a few expendable guys I can move. Would sell them for cash or always looking for picks and prospects:

DH Germao 'Bug' Cernache - he's ready to be a good DH. 80/80/80 running attributes plus 65 power. #21 prospect

SS Vladien Wishev - inconsistent, but has a 70 rating at SS and has put up several seasons of + WAR at a premium position. Very team friendly deal. Probably would start for me if I wasn't trading for Alvarado. Also a team leader.

1B Juan Gonzalez - has always had a good bat in the majors, just can't find a spot for him.

SS Paul Robert - .5 WARS WON in 40 games last season. SSS, but I think some teams could do a lot worse.

I think I'm mostly set for next season. Would be interested in getting a 1-year stop gap 3B if anybody has one.

Last edited:

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

Name a price that's not a 1st or a 2nd.

Alright, got a few expendable guys I can move. Would sell them for cash or always looking for picks and prospects:

DH Germao 'Bug' Cernache - he's ready to be a good DH. 80/80/80 running attributes plus 65 power. #21 prospect

SS Vladien Wishev - inconsistent, but has a 70 rating at SS and has put up several seasons of + WAR at a premium position. Very team friendly deal. Probably would start for me if I wasn't trading for Alvarado. Also a team leader.

1B Juan Gonzalez - has always had a good bat in the majors, just can't find a spot for him.

SS Paul Robert - .5 WARS WON in 40 games last season. SSS, but I think some teams could do a lot worse.

I think I'm mostly set for next season. Would be interested in getting a 1-year stop gap 3B if anybody has one.

GTFO with this prospect rating nonsense. ;)

I like Wishev but you probably want too much for him.

NML

Yep. I thought he had turned a corner 2060 - had 2.3 WARS WON in under 100 games. Then got injured and has been up and down ever since

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I generally agree, but that 70 power/eye should generate a lot more walks and a higher % of HR (for his hits) than it did. In any other park he gets to .700 OPS in his worst years, even if his average isn't great. Flyball RHB profile in the sphere is the worst.

Wooly

@NML I accidentally swapped the 2nd and 3rd picks in that trade. Can you switch it to be KAB 2nd and HEL 3rd for 2064. Thanks.

Reactions: NML

Lloyd Carr

Well, that's the facts.

I don't know what holes I actually have that need to be filled. I don't know how good any of these players actually are.