• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 MLB Thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Dude, come on. I was a Nasty Nats supporter when they were the legit Natinals. It's not my fault they're owned by a group of clueless morons that are pennywise and pound foolish. Let's list the fuck ups by the Lerners since they took over ownership of the team from MLB:
  • Withholding rent to DC
  • Smiley Gonzalez/Carlos Rios/Jim "Leatherpants" Bowden
  • Felipe Lopez
  • Nats320
  • Yunesky Maya
  • Aaron Crow
  • Riggleman quitting
  • Signing damaged goods (Jason Marquis, Adam LaRoche)
  • Low balling Bud Black and ending up with utter bum Dusty Baker
  • Henry Rodriguez and the "Terry Ryan DL Stints"
  • Natinals jerseys
  • Running out of cups, beer, food, and money on every Opening Day we attended from 2009 to 2013
  • Asking for $200M for a retractable roof
  • Deferred money obsession (Scherzer, Soriano)
  • Mark Lerner regularly shagging flies in a Nationals uniform
  • Trading for Papelbum
  • Not cutting Papelbum after he strangled their star and MVP
  • Bussing in Phillies fans from 2009-2012
  • Still not having a closer
If you can find a team that's had as many embarrassments as the Nats I'll eat my signed Adam Dunn jersey.

#natitude

ZackMills

Have mercy
Watching Judge hit reminds me of hitting golf balls with metal bats. Doesn't matter how well you get it, it's going far.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Judge was awesome but Josh Hamilton's display was still the best I've seen. If he had had the 4 minute clock when he did it, he might have hit 40.

NML

Maybe I'm a homer, but I'm not sure about this.

Agree on Sale being better than anyone the Astros have but after that...has Price done anything in the playoffs as a pitcher? I think I'd take McCullers over him at this point.

Sale's probably the best pitcher in the league right now, right? Price had two straight nice outings, but yeah, I'm not sold on him being "back." Pomeranz has been solid as a #4. Porcello has, unsurprisingly, come back to earth. So, no, I'm not sure they have the best rotation (Kimbrel the GOAT too doe).

I don't watch much baseball outside of the Sox, so I can't really say where they stand. They really only have one hole on their team and that's third base (although I'm not sold on Moreland), but outside of Mookie and Sale (maybe JBJ), it's a mostly above average team. Probably not a WS team, imo. At least, not as good as 07 or 13.

goblue96

Gary Mathews takes M Franco to task.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...nco-Gary-Matthews-Sarge-advice.html?mobi=true

Having caught Franco's attention, Matthews asked him what he was doing swinging at exactly the sort of pitch everyone from hitting coach Matt Stairs to manager Pete Mackanin to lunch room ice-cream scooper Frank Mazzuca knows he shouldn't swing at. Franco almost never makes good contact with breaking pitches thrown on the outside part of the plate, especially below his knees. And he should never, ever swing at an offspeed pitch on the outside part of the plate when it's the first pitch of an at-bat with the bases empty.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Sale's probably the best pitcher in the league right now, right? Price had two straight nice outings, but yeah, I'm not sold on him being "back." Pomeranz has been solid as a #4. Porcello has, unsurprisingly, come back to earth. So, no, I'm not sure they have the best rotation (Kimbrel the GOAT too doe).

I don't watch much baseball outside of the Sox, so I can't really say where they stand. They really only have one hole on their team and that's third base (although I'm not sold on Moreland), but outside of Mookie and Sale (maybe JBJ), it's a mostly above average team. Probably not a WS team, imo. At least, not as good as 07 or 13.
Cleveland has the best rotation in the AL. Boston/Houston are 2nd/3rd in some sort of order, although I keep talking myself through each team at 2. Obiv Sale > Keuchel, but it really does depend on how you view McCullers & Price because the 3-4 spots in the rotation are about even IMO.

It's not like Houston cant be knocked off.. They are 3-4 vs KC. Boston took a series from them 2-1. Cleveland won 5-6 in the season series. They were also in most of those games and could have been a hit or two away from having positive records against those teams too.

The fact Houston has 60 wins at the ASB is kind of ridiculous. If you consider a baseline of 18 starts per pitcher at the ASB...Houston has missed 34 starts from their projected Top 4 pitchers. Doesn't seem possible.

Wolfman21

Braves promoted 19 year old Ronald Acuna to AAA tonight. He went 3-4 with a homer, a walk and 2 RBI. Dude started the season in A ball. Last year at this time he was a relative unknown on the lower end of the braves prospect list. Since then hes absolutely blown up and is becoming one of the best all around outfielder prospects in MLB

goblue96

Braves promoted 19 year old Ronald Acuna to AAA tonight. He went 3-4 with a homer, a walk and 2 RBI. Dude started the season in A ball. Last year at this time he was a relative unknown on the lower end of the braves prospect list. Since then hes absolutely blown up and is becoming one of the best all around outfielder prospects in MLB

So does he use the cream or the clear? :thumbsup:

Wolfman21

Braves get back to .500 for first time in....a long time after sweeping the dbacks. Their play the last couple weeks is giving the front office alot to think about in regards to going for the wild card or selling off pieces

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
nsr.gif

goblue96

The HR derby is the only place that Berman's schtick played halfway decent but, even there, it had grown tired.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
GTFO. All of her softball experience makes her more than qualified to be a MLB color commentator.
And her talking the entire game has been awesome on Sunday Night Baseball.

Shulman's out... it'll be interesting to see who they replace him with. Hopefully they get rid of Mendoza too. Baseball finally has some good up and coming color guys (Smoltz, A-Rod) but none are at ESPN.

ZackMills

Have mercy
From what I've heard she's better than the majority of the guys who have Baseball experience.

She's certainly better than some and seems to bring analytics to the table more than former ballplayers who are old enough to be commentating, but I'd rather her role be filled a full fledged baseball nerd. No baseball experience (or penis) required.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Mendoza is fine as a color commentator. Shes still growing into the role and I think she will get better, but shes not worse than Aaron Boone or Eduardo Perez or anyone else ESPN is throwing out there. It's still a step up from the days of Kruk or listening to drunken Sutcliffe ramble on.

Lesbianist here though.. Berman was awful at the end of his run. The HR derby from an announcer perspective wasnt any better either though. The whole thing was a pretty basic shitshow in it's first year post-Berman. The only Berman announced HR Derby positive was he such a bigger name than the rest of the commentators everyone else shut up during his HR calls. If they had the same people calling the HR Derby, and just slowed the hell down and let the action run more instead of acting like fans, things would have been alot easier to take.

MSUFanatic

Mendoza is fine as a color commentator. Shes still growing into the role and I think she will get better, but shes not worse than Aaron Boone or Eduardo Perez or anyone else ESPN is throwing out there. It's still a step up from the days of Kruk or listening to drunken Sutcliffe ramble on.

Lesbianist here though.. Berman was awful at the end of his run. The HR derby from an announcer perspective wasnt any better either though. The whole thing was a pretty basic shitshow in it's first year post-Berman. The only Berman announced HR Derby positive was he such a bigger name than the rest of the commentators everyone else shut up during his HR calls. If they had the same people calling the HR Derby, and just slowed the hell down and let the action run more instead of acting like fans, things would have been alot easier to take.

Let's be real Perez is only there because he can speak Spanish.