• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Yankee's Custom Conferences NCAA14 Journey

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer

This will be entirely AVID-based, otherwise I'd never update it. Thanks to bruin, bruin, wolfman, and dawg for inspo.

Also I hate AVID's UI so much and will probably complain about it here as well

Anyways, the premise here is a little different. I always end up doing weird things with my conferences so the same 4 teams don't end up in BCS bowls (spoiler alert: I did it wrong and the same 4 teams will end up in the MNC here) to mixed results. So I'm trying a new method: Splitting up teams entirely geographically!

90d2ab6eac059c80db82fa06c7409c29--college-football-picks-free-football.jpg

This is an almost correct map of the teams available in NCAA14. Charlotte is the big one missing (and for shame, they would've made things a bit easier), and UAB still exists in this timeline. Thanks to EA, every conference has to have a minimum so two teams (Idaho, So. Alabama) had to go in the Independents bin. Some outright huge rivalries were split up due to state lines, namely OU-Texas, Alabama-Tennessee, and the infamous Civil ConFLiCT! There may have been an easier way to do this (cutting off a couple of the loathsome schools to fit OK in the TX conference) but it would've affected conference championship games so I went with this. The good news is some other rivalries have been restored, like Miami-UF, Mizzou-Kansas, and Texas-TAMU.

As you can probably imagine before even seeing them, this led to some pretty onesided conferences. I even had to avoid pairing AL with the FL-GA-SC conference because it would've led to 4-8 UFs running around, and that's only acceptable with Will Muschamp as the corch. The team I'm choosing to play is right smack in the middle of one of these conferences, so it should be a cool challenge. But more on that later.

All in all, it should be an interesting experiment. There are a couple divisions where the teams are mostly all bad so some team should be able to end up a perennial Top 15 team that never was before. Conversely, some other teams will start being a lot worse.

New Conferences:
Listed in order of Conference Prestige/Average Rank. Teams are in order of Conference Outlook for now.
ACC(FL + GA + SC):

Atlantic:
Georgia
South Carolina
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida Atlantic
Georgia State

Coastal:
Florida
Florida State
Miami
UCF
USF
FIU

(I gave the ACC the only Auto bid, just in case. There are a couple filler teams there that maybe it won't get too bad though)

Pac 12(CA + NV + OR + WA + HI):

North:
Oregon
Oregon State
Warshington
Nevada-Reno
Warshington State
Hawai'i
Nevada-Las Vegas

South:
Stanford
UC Los Angeles
USC
UC Berkley
Fresno State
San Diego State
San Jose State

MAC(IN + IL + KY + TN):

North:
Notre Dame
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Illinois
Indiana
Ball State

South:
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Western Kentucky
Kentucky
Mid Tenn State
Memphis

(As a side note, LAWD this league for basketball)

Sun Belt(NE + KS + OK + AR + MN + IA):

North:
Kansas State
Nebraska
Iowa
Missouri
Minnesota
Kansas

South:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma Lite
ArKansas
ArKansas State
Iowa State
Tulsa

(This split looks weird, but other than Min-Tulsa, the protected rivals make it work. Think the proper geographical play would be to put Mizzou in the South and ISU in the North, but no way am I letting them run away from Neb and KU again)

Big 12(TX):

East:
Texas A&M
Texas-Austin
Baylor
Texas-Tech
Texas-San Antonio
Texas State

West:
TCU
Houston
SMU
North Texas
Texas-El Paso
Rice

(Another weird one, but made sure the old Big 12 Texas rivalries were intact this way)

SEC(AL + MS + LA):

East:
Alabama
Ole Miss
Auburn
Mississippi State
Troy
Alabama-Birmingham

West:
LSU
UL Monroe
Louisiana Tech
UL Lafayette
Tulane
Southern Miss

Big 10(OH + MI + WI):

Lead- I mean North:
Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Toledo
Eastern Michigan

South:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Kent State
Ohio
Bowling Green
Miami(OH)
Akron

(This is the ugliest one. I could've made tOSU the lone Ohio team in the North, but then the South is even uglier. Maybe Wisconsin is the better fit there, but meh. I'll be playing in this division and trying to topple tOSU so until then Irving can have his fun playing one decent(UM) team a year.)

AAC(VA + NC + WV):

Virginia Tech
West Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Virginia
East Carolina
Wake
Marshall
Old Dominion

(Considered placing the two MD schools here too, but either way one conf was gonna be without a title game. This one actually looks like the worst conference on paper, which means either the CHOKIES or the couch burners will inevitably win a national title at some point going 12-0.)

MWC(AZ + UT + NM + WY + ID):

Mountain:
Arizona State
Arizona
Air Force
Colorado State
Colorado
Wyoming

West:
Boise State
Utah
BYU
Utah State
New Mexico
NMSU

(Would've been worse had I not swapped AZ and NM. Hamilton's dream come true as CSU has just 3 pretty easy to topple schools standing in their way!)

C-USA(NY + PA + NJ + MD + CT + MA):

East:
Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
Army
Buffalo
UMass

West:
Penn State
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
Navy
Temple
Maryland

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit: The good news is, the talent base here is garbage, and the conference is already the worst in the nation, so this conference will definitely be the Sun Belt analogue in like 4 years. A fitting end for Cuse, PSU, and BC. The bad news is PSU will probably go undefeated at some point within those 4 years.

Indy:
Idaho
South Alabama

Anyways, I'll be playing Ohio. Lank is here. FWIW, the AI has tried to schedule separated rival games where possible, though I can't really tell if it's just residual. But TAMU is playing Bama, Texas is playing OU, etc.

Given the circumstances I'm going to take it easy on recruiting restrictions and the like for now. May add on if it gets tough. I'm also starting as a HC because I'm not trying to toil as a DC at Ohio for 5 years only to get at HC offer at the corpse of Temple or something.

If the ACC is too ridiculous, I will likely send KKKLIMPS and USCe to the AAC and figure out two filler teams to add to the ACC. But maybe it'll all work out.

If anyone wants slightly more detailed info on how teams are acclimating, let me know. Or feel free to add suggestions to and/or ruthlessly criticize the team distribution.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Updated with schedule and added my impact players, likely won't add more than that unless someone's really notable. I'll post my recruiting classes at the end of the season since I tend to make a lot of movements.

Apparently Marshall is a rival of Ohio, but guess I missed the boat on that hot OOC matchup.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If this game was on PS4 I'd be interested, but as it is I gotta swap out my consoles every time I want to play this. Plus I don't play as seriously as I used to so I'd get smacked every game anyways.

Wolfman21

I've created a monster...

I use default sliders. There are things I'd like to fool around with as there are areas that are just ridiculous, but I don't really wanna f with it too much

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Just default for now. I can't tell if defensive woes are purely EA's fault or purely my own fault, so until I get a better idea I'll just ride with this.

Wolfman21

Just default for now. I can't tell if defensive woes are purely EA's fault or purely my own fault, so until I get a better idea I'll just ride with this.

I have some games where I can't stop shit. Then I have some games where neither team can move the ball. Which I like. Its different from my first season where it just seemed like both teams were marching up and down the field.

Schauwn

:laughing: I just glanced at who'd started a dynasty recently. what settings are you using? I went to OS and tried the 50-ish ones, but he just changed them to be basically default All-American. I'm beating UCLA with NMSU 41-31 and beat Baylor as well. TBH, Auburn did smack me down pretty good.

Soonerfan09

:laughing: I just glanced at who'd started a dynasty recently. what settings are you using? I went to OS and tried the 50-ish ones, but he just changed them to be basically default All-American. I'm beating UCLA with NMSU 41-31 and beat Baylor as well. TBH, Auburn did smack me down pretty good.
I'm using these, although there are some changes made in the last 10-20 pages of the thread that aren't updated on the front page. Mainly toning down the HUM run game. That thread is very interesting to read overall. Not sure if everyone else knew this or not, but the penalty sliders have a huge impact on gameplay and pretty much act as another slider set.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
My ideal set would just be something that gives somewhat realistic stats while not being 9 minute quarters. Don't think that's really possible tho

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Updated to right before the UVA game. Pretty fun so far. tOSU lost to Arizona, who then lost to Washington. 4 ACC schools in the Top 6.

Since AVID makes the polls pretty easy I'll add an update each week (You can find it by navigating to that week's page) of the Top 30 or so teams.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Got crushed by Michigan. Ended up scoring late when I brought in my backup who is 10 OVR worse but can actually run so I stopped getting hurried into INTs. May try him out against Akron who are winless.

This is playing out very strangely. Stanford is in freefall, losing back to back games to Fresno and future national champions San Jose St (a rivalry game!). Penn St is even worse, losing back to back games to a 4-0 Buffalo and Kent State.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but what sliders/house-rules are you guys using?

@Wendell Gee you're a coach-mode guy right?

@Yankee151 @Wolfman21 what about you guys?

I know you didn't ask me but I use the OS community sliders ( I know I've changed projects a million times on here), they are very good. You can look at my scores/stats from my ECU dynasty if you want to take a look. You really have to focus every play - if you focus you will get buried quickly against equal or greater talent. I've been upset, and upset teams with them. I used 8 minute quarters on ECU, but will use 9 going forward for my new project.

Schauwn

I know you didn't ask me but I use the OS community sliders ( I know I've changed projects a million times on here), they are very good. You can look at my scores/stats from my ECU dynasty if you want to take a look. You really have to focus every play - if you focus you will get buried quickly against equal or greater talent. I've been upset, and upset teams with them. I used 8 minute quarters on ECU, but will use 9 going forward for my new project.
Those are the ones that @Soonerfan09 just recommended too. I'd tried them in the past and they were too easy for me, I was able to run like crazy. However, I tried them last night as NMSU vs SDSU, and it was a fun competitive game. I ended up winning, but they were much tougher against the run than I remember or the slider set I was using.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

http://forums.operationsports.com/f...643122-jarodd21s-ncaa-14-heisman-sliders.html

Black Set
Accuracy 5(10)-55
Pass Blocking 5-60
Catching 5-70
RB Ability 15-100
Run Blocking 0-55
Pass Coverage 45-100
Interceptions 30-75
Rush Defense 25-100
Tackling 50-100

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Updated up to Week 10. Finally think I have my sliders right. Using the ones bruin lanked but on AA instead because I'm bad.

Everyone is losing. Alabama has a free ride to the title game, so I will definitely be changing up the conferences to reflect that next year. Either going to swap GA + SC with LA or something like that.

I will keep a running track of which team wins their 'State Title' each year, or at least roughly. OH and FL don't all play each other every year but every other state does, so should be interesting.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Kind of an annoying extra time investment, but after I kept seeing a million upsets a year, I followed this one guy's advice of resimming any game where ranked teams lost to unranked teams. I use my discretion - some games I won't resim because it'll be like #16 lost on the road to a 6-3 team by 3, which is realistic enough for me, and some years I don't really see the need to do it at all - but it's a good way to deal with the game trying to go full 2007 80% of the time.

Definitely good to use when you start contending, because I hate making title games with 2-3 losses or running the table and playing some 3 loss American team or something.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
For now the novelty of seeing these former mid majors uproot their in-state competitors is nice enough, but eventually I will look into that. In Vandy's case, for example, they're now 6-1 with two high quality wins. Makes you wonder if the only thing holding them back in game was the SEC, or if it's just all flukes (TBF, they beat So Car and vILL, not exactly world beaters)

I think this version being weird like that was part of the motivation to just blow it all up and see what happens. Think the last 5 dynasty seasons I've played, the champions were Alabama, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UCLA, and Ohio State. :thinking:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
For now the novelty of seeing these former mid majors uproot their in-state competitors is nice enough, but eventually I will look into that. In Vandy's case, for example, they're now 6-1 with two high quality wins. Makes you wonder if the only thing holding them back in game was the SEC, or if it's just all flukes (TBF, they beat So Car and vILL, not exactly world beaters)

I think this version being weird like that was part of the motivation to just blow it all up and see what happens. Think the last 5 dynasty seasons I've played, the champions were Alabama, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UCLA, and Ohio State. :thinking:

QQeZcZL.gif

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Triple option teams always tear it up in my dynasties. I guarantee one of the service academies (almost certainly Navy) will go apeshit in yours. I always get some weird ones, too. Vandy usually does really well in mine too, but never above the 10-11 win mark. I had Syracuse become essentially the Buffalo Bills in my last one; I beat them with CU in the title game, left to go to UCLA, and beat them a few years later. I think they finally won one when I left UCLA lol. I've never seen Michigan do anything of note, which is fine with me. Georgia turned into a powerhouse under Fuente in my last one.

Soonerfan09

Triple option teams always tear it up in my dynasties. I guarantee one of the service academies (almost certainly Navy) will go apeshit in yours. I always get some weird ones, too. Vandy usually does really well in mine too, but never above the 10-11 win mark. I had Syracuse become essentially the Buffalo Bills in my last one; I beat them with CU in the title game, left to go to UCLA, and beat them a few years later. I think they finally won one when I left UCLA lol. I've never seen Michigan do anything of note, which is fine with me. Georgia turned into a powerhouse under Fuente in my last one.
I guess in your simulation they finally brought our boys home.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah Navy and Cuse are both doing good. Think Navy's lone loss is to Maryland and Cuse leads their division. GT got stomped out in their division though, like 2-6 or something without playing UGA or Clemson yet

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

LEACH-F-U.gif

Schauwn

Alright, I got my custom conferences set up. I'm going to try and stick with a relegation style system for once. It's currently setup like this:

The top-tier conferences are Pac10, ACC, SEC, Big10, MAC. The lower tiers will be, MWC, American, SunBelt,C-USA. The way I set this up is that the Independents will have 1 team from each "region" and 2 from the MAC/C-USA region. I didn't think too much about rivalries because the CPU does a decent job of scheduling at least one rival. We'll see on that though...

I haven't decided if I want the automatic bowl bids to have the top tier teams play each other, or if I want the top tier to play the lower tier of the same region, so Pac10 vs MWC, ACC vs American, etc. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I haven't decided for sure. I also have settled on how exactly I'm going to promote/demote. Once I have that settled, and which team I'm going to play with, I'll start my own thread and give the teams in each conference. Should be going live tonight.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
One feature I like, even if it's likely shoddy AI because EA, is the "Championship Contenders" page under the ESPN tab. Not that interesting this year, but in a couple years it'll be interesting to see who has been making progress and who has been in absolute freefall.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
One feature I like, even if it's likely shoddy AI because EA, is the "Championship Contenders" page under the ESPN tab. Not that interesting this year, but in a couple years it'll be interesting to see who has been making progress and who has been in absolute freefall.

It sucks that they rate the future years by projected rating and then rank the current year by ranking, though. I'd like to see who's over and underperforming throughout the year. I can see the rankings any time by just looking at the top 25.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah it would have made more sense if they kept the preseason 120 (or w/e it is now) rankings somewhere, but alas.