• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Missed pit road

lol-duck.gif

Iron

Premium Motorsports has bought Tommy Baldwin Racing's assets. Baldwin now a crew chief for them.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Carlos Sainz Jr to move from Toro Rosso to Renault next season (which means Palmer is out). Toro Rosso also looks like they're going to move to Honda engines, and McLaren will go with Renault. The two teams effectively swapping engines for next year.

Bdub

Carlos Sainz Jr to move from Toro Rosso to Renault next season (which means Palmer is out). Toro Rosso also looks like they're going to move to Honda engines, and McLaren will go with Renault. The two teams effectively swapping engines for next year.
Why Toro Rosso would go to Honda is beyond me. McLaren moving to Renault was probably the only way they have a chance to keep Alonso.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I think the intent is for Toro Rosso to run the Honda engine exclusively until Honda gets their shit together. If Honda gets good, then Rud Bull will dump Renault and go with Honda.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Bottas signs another 1 year deal with Mercedes. So next year's lineup at the front of the field should look the same, except McLaren might actually be able to score some podiums.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I'm surprised they haven't gotten one. That ride will obviously have Kenseth or Kahne in it next year, and they will make the playoffs. Kahne isn't great, but I think he's a better driver than Truex.

One of them will probably end up at SHR, but honestly, Furniture Row looks like a better team at this point. That Toyota & Gibbs support is paying off.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
And Petty really ought to pull a Wood Bros and have either SHR or Penske build his cars for him. Concentrate on finding sponsors and talent, and leave the car building to the guys who are kicking ass on the track.

Iron

Smithfield is not returning to the #43 and will become a sponsor at SHR, and Almirola will not be back to the #43 next year. Put the two together here I think...

I really think Aric can get that car in the Chase. Once Petty started building their own chassis last year and tried to support 2 cars, their performance went downhill.

Wolfman21

Smithfield is not returning to the #43 and will become a sponsor at SHR, and Almirola will not be back to the #43 next year. Put the two together here I think...

I really think Aric can get that car in the Chase. Once Petty started building their own chassis last year and tried to support 2 cars, their performance went downhill.

Petty was gone downhill well before then

Bdub

Bottas signs another 1 year deal with Mercedes. So next year's lineup at the front of the field should look the same, except McLaren might actually be able to score some podiums.
Maybe not everything will be the same at the front. Ferrari might drop Kimi since he is zero help to the team. They should trade Kimi for Alonso.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Now they SHOULD have tried for Verstappen, or Charles Leclerc, or an established F1 veteran (Hulkenburg, Ricciardo, etc), but you know Ferrari and the way they like to have a clear #1 driver on the team. Ricciardo has shown he can beat Vettel straight up. And I think if Verstappen and Vettel were on the same team, Vettel would suddenly see things from Mark Webber's point of view.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
And according to NBC's Will Buxton, Renault will not renew with Red Bull for 2019. So Honda has 1 more year to work out the bugs before Red Bull goes with them. I'm going to play a little Nostradamus here:

Honda will suck balls still, and Red Bull will be where Williams is now.
Mateschitz has been threatening to sell Red Bull for some time now, he'll prolly do that once they flounder at the back of the grid for a year or two. Selling Red Bull means selling Toro Rosso.
Nobody wants to pay top dollar for these teams, especially with manufacturers backing Formula E. Privateers are the only ones that will buy the teams. F1 starts it's decline.

If Honda gets their shit together, Red Bull could be on their path to being untouchable again.

Last edited:

Wolfman21

Just go ahead and give truex the trophy already.

Good to see a lil speed out of the 24 today. 3rd best car behind 78 and 18. Bad timing for him comin into the sport when the toyotas are given extra help

Bdub

And according to NBC's Will Buxton, Renault will not renew with Red Bull for 2019. So Honda has 1 more year to work out the bugs before Red Bull goes with them. I'm going to play a little Nostradamus here:

Honda will suck balls still, and Red Bull will be where Williams is now.
Mateschitz has been threatening to sell Red Bull for some time now, he'll prolly do that once they flounder at the back of the grid for a year or two. Selling Red Bull means selling Toro Rosso.
Nobody wants to pay top dollar for these teams, especially with manufacturers backing Formula E. Privateers are the only ones that will buy the teams. F1 starts it's decline.

If Honda gets their shit together, Red Bull could be on their path to being untouchable again.
Red Bull really won't have an opportunity to be untouchable again if Honda doesn't get it together. No none works team has won the championship in a long time.

Bdub

Today pretty much sealed another championship for Mercedes. I didn't even know who to blame for for Ferrari getting taken out. Really just a shitty situation.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Still a long way to go, but you're right that yesterday didn't help. They were poised to take max points and shat the bed.

I saw other rumors over the weekend that Porsche is looking to buy Red Bull by the 2021 season (when new engine regulations take place), and make them a works team with Red Bull sponsorship. Mateschitz is looking to unload Red Bull and get away from the astronomical costs of running a team. Life is easier as a sponsor. Probably one of the reasons why they're looking at Honda: cash infusion.

Bdub

Still a long way to go, but you're right that yesterday didn't help. They were poised to take max points and shat the bed.

I saw other rumors over the weekend that Porsche is looking to buy Red Bull by the 2021 season (when new engine regulations take place), and make them a works team with Red Bull sponsorship. Mateschitz is looking to unload Red Bull and get away from the astronomical costs of running a team. Life is easier as a sponsor. Probably one of the reasons why they're looking at Honda: cash infusion.
Would be awesome to have Porsche in F1. I know Volkswagen/Audi where considering getting into it, so using Porsche to do that makes sense.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I went to the truck race that Kahne won, 2012 I think. Great racing. Since attendance obviously doesn't matter, it makes me wonder why they don't go back to some of these tracks where the racing is good, and run there. Putting on a show for the TV audience is all that matters, it doesn't matter where the track is. I think 90% of NASCAR TV watchers would tell you they'd rather watch a Cup race from Rockingham rather than the 1.5 miler in Vegas, or the 2 mile track in Fontana.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Speaking of TV watchers...they are fewer of them.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Chicagoland, the first race of the playoffs (nee Chase For the Cup), had a 1.4 rating and 2.3 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday — down 13% in ratings and 14% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.7M) and down 26% and 28% respectively from 2015 (1.9, 3.2M).

Excluding rainouts, Martin Truex Jr.‘s win ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched Cup Series race at Chicagoland (dates back to 2001) and the lowest rated and least-watched playoff race at any track (dates back to 2004).

The 1.4 is also the second-lowest for any Cup Series race since at least 2000, ahead of only a 1.2 for Richmond the previous week.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Getting ready to sell my 500th DoT shirt.

I thought about doing some retro nascar stuff, like a 1980 Earnhardt throwback. He was running for Osterlund Racing then. I don't think anyone owns a trademark on that stylized #2.

earnhardt1980.jpg