• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

Bucksin04

Random idea that I came up with in about 5 seconds last night so I'm there are 50 holes in it but whatever...

NBA Lottery Idea:
- NBA Lottery is held February 1 (roughly 2 weeks before the trade deadline) based on the current standings at that time
- The lottery would determine who hold the top 10 picks in the draft

Benefits
- Teams know in advance of the deadline exactly what picks they have available as trade assets (e.g. The Cavs KNOW the Nets 1st rounder they possess will be pick #5 rather than "The Nets 1st rounder to be determined" when negotiating a trade)
- Not sure if 10 is the exact right number, but picked it to avoid the scenario where a team that ends up making the playoffs has a lottery pick AND/OR team that was slated to make the playoffs on Feb. 1 ends up not making it.
- Teams no longer have an incentive to tank down the stretch of the season since they know where their pick will fall. There is no motivation to lose games at that point.

Drawbacks
- Re: Point 2 of the Benefits...There is potential for a team to try and game the system by tanking the first half of the season and getting a lottery pick and then turning it on during the second half of the year.
- Others?????

Yes, I know this has zero idea of happening, just something fun to think about. Thoughts?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah, that one drawback is the only one I can see at the moment, although depending on what division/conference they're in, turning it on for the last 30 or whatever games still might not be enough. Maybe move the trade deadline back a little?

Or people can just TRUST THE PROCESS

sayo

YEET
It would also hurt young teams who are still developing since those guys hit a wall 50 games in regularly and shouldn't be punished.

DanishDonut0

So do we talk about the little Ball brothers here now that they are about to be “professionals”? Holy shit talk about letting your father destroy your career.

Reactions: Wuf

Wolfman21

So do we talk about the little Ball brothers here now that they are about to be “professionals”? Holy shit talk about letting your father destroy your career.

Lonzo lucky he made it to UCLA and halfway through their season before dad decided to go all retard. Liangelo decided to steal some stuff in China as a ploy to get viewers for their tv show and it got him kicked out of school. Not like he was good enough for it to matter anyways. He was destined for overseas ball.

Who knows about Lamelo? He looks like the dumbest one out of all 3 to be honest.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I feel horrible for those kids, and one of them was dumb enough to try to steal shit in China. Says a lot.

evil1

The only mitigating thing I will say in their defense is that most European stars turn professional and sign with mid-level teams when they are 17-18 years old (Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dario Saric, Porzingas, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert). In that regard, what the Ball brothers are doing is not out of the ordinary.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Gonna be so annoyed I wasted my time watching this shitshow of a game if I don't even get a Timberwolves win out of it.

Sixers have like 23 turnovers and T-Wolves are 1-20 from three. :vomit:

Edit: Make that 2-23

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Gonna be so annoyed I wasted my time watching this shitshow of a game if I don't even get a Timberwolves win out of it.

23 turnovers is about average for the Sixers this season.

CJ_24

Still excited?

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Still excited?
Considering they have 16 wins in mid-december compared to having 16 wins the whole season a few years ago, fuck yeah. They are fucking awful to watch but at least they win sometimes. Time for Thibodeau to GTFO though.

DanishDonut0

The only mitigating thing I will say in their defense is that most European stars turn professional and sign with mid-level teams when they are 17-18 years old (Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dario Saric, Porzingas, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert). In that regard, what the Ball brothers are doing is not out of the ordinary.

wat

Are you really going to compare developing for a club that is in your home country, probably close to home, where you speak the same language with going across the world to a bankrupt team in a tiny village, where the coach doesn't speak your language while you have all the resources in your own backyard?