• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 Womens World Cup

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
These fucking people, man. I feel like the only celebration that came close to the line was Rapinoe's. But she's been through a lot, both on the field and off the field, since the last World Cup. It's a pretty big deal for her to have scored at a World Cup after all that shit.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's an international tournament. Teams need all the reps and time they can get. Might as well ask why Thailand didn't just forfeit in the 60th.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
These Brazil "away" uniforms are awesome tho

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Our passing and touches so far looking unfortunately like our men's team

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Also, outside of Dempsey, who on the men’s team could have hit that shot Lloyd did with their weak foot?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Chile keeper is the only reason this isn't 7-0

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I legit did not know that a foul on the line counts as inside the box.

Also this use of VAR is just awful.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Was taught in a situation like that that it’s not interfering with play unless the attacker touches it. Unless something has changed in the past couple of years.

But it was clear that her being in the offside position greatly influenced the play, and should have definitely been disallowed, IMO.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
But it was clear that her being in the offside position greatly influenced the play, and should have definitely been disallowed, IMO.

-YTC

As a goalie, I agree. :laughing: I always thought that if there was someone in my vision, they were interfering with play.

But, as a referee, I was taught that unless the player touches the ball in a situation like that, it's not interfering with play. (Unless the Chile player ran directly between the goalie's line of vision with the ball, but I don't think that's what happened here).

I haven't reffed in a long time, though, so it could have changed.

The point, though, is that our goalie has had one thing to do this whole tournament, and she fucked it up, only to be (arguably) bailed out by the refs.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I should add that I can't find a replay of that incident, so I'm going off memory. I could just not have seen it correctly.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
:laughing: I read a play-by-play that said the Chile player touched it, which I thought she didn't. So I don't know what I know anymore!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Even if she didn't touch it (she didn't), her being in an offside position clearly caused that goal to occur, as the goalie wouldn't have rushed out and flubbed it without her presence there. I don't pretend to be an expert on the rules, but I thought it was exactly the right call with no question at all about it.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, and I don't know how VAR impacts this at all. Was that something VAR would have reviewed?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
If VAR is going to ensure that the keeper's feet are on the goal line at the time the ball is kicked, just award the kicking team a goal instead having everyone go through the effort on a penalty kick.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Swedish defending on that corner

giphy.gif

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That said, this is so fun to watch. It's going to make me nervous unless we go up by another goal, but we look so dangerous every time we go forward.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Why the fuck was that being reviewed? That's almost entirely a judgment call by the ref on whether that's offside.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That said, this is so fun to watch. It's going to make me nervous unless we go up by another goal, but we look so dangerous every time we go forward.

We seem to waste a lot of chances too. I know we have a birdseye view and they are at field level, but there are some wide open passes we just don't see. I mean this is frequently the case with a lot of national teams because they aren't training together as much as clubs, but we seem to excel at it.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Good to get out of that game. Sweden was starting to kick us a little too much. Our defense looks a little shaky at times, but man, our attack is good. If the finishing improves just a little bit...

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That offside call was not great but Cameroon has had like 20 other chances. England are just playing off, packing the box with numbers and waiting for Cameroon to trip over their own proverbial dick.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Alternate take, the RAs have been awful. So many non offside calls and vice versa they are fucking up.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Christiane just hurt herself trying to shoot from the half line lol