• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The 2020 perpetual OFFSEASON THREAD

Skeeter

Uber felon

Who keeps a text message for 7 years?

Also these apologies kill me. Motherfuckers you aren't heartbroken and contrite you dropped the n word, you're just sad you got outed for being a person that is comfortable saying the n word

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

200.gif

Brick

But this all plays into the hands of Oregon Ducks football coach Mario Cristobal, doesn’t it?

But ultimately, the entire college football world is dealing with adversity and change, isn’t it?

These are new times, aren’t they?

Last edited:

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm not sure why @Brick tagged me other than he thinks I'll have something to say since I'm a fan of the rival. I only know Scalley as a really good player who cried talking to his team about how much he hates BYU, that he's a good coach (and prior to this was most likely the HC in waiting for when Whittingham gets fired), and that everyone thinks he's a great guy.

I don't know the details and he said he immediately apologized (on his own, or because the recruit or family said something?). I poked around and found that another recruit accused him of calling him a slur over a decade ago as well and was not satisfied with the apology. Lots of current players are supporting him, doe, saying he's not a racist.

It's possible he used to use that term several years ago but has since grown up and stopped. If that's the case, then the school should punish him and move on. If they find it's just the tip of the iceberg, then they need to let him go. I know I'm guilty of a lot of things when I was younger that I don't do anymore. I'd hate to lose my current job and future jobs in my industry for something I did a while ago but have since improved myself. I've never really cared for the guy, but everyone says he's an amazing person. I hope that true justice is carried out and he takes his punishment and everyone moves on or he is let go because it's still a problem and he can improve from here.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
"I recently interviewed Oregon Coach Mario Cristobal at his home. We talked about COVID-19, the Death of George Floyd, the brilliance of Sabrina Ionescu. He showed off the great new Tile in his kitchen and we laughed about how Joey Harrington was having so much trouble with his new tile. Column coming."

bruin

Nebraska’s top returning WR has entered the portal. Read he could’ve been the schools all-time leading wr this year.

Wonder what Huskers fans true feelings are on Frost so far..

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Nebraska’s top returning WR has entered the portal. Read he could’ve been the schools all-time leading wr this year.

Wonder what Huskers fans true feelings are on Frost so far..

Hard time blame Spielman, Frost pretty much threw everyone under the bus the first thing he did when he arrived and Martinez hangs him out to dry 5+ times a game. Combine all that with constantly losing and it's not too surprising he wants out. Odd timing because Spielman already used his redshirt so he will have to play FCS or get a waiver from the NCAA so he must have really wanted out.

Frost imo came in with a big head thinking he would roll over everyone not realizing big ten ball is a lot different than AAC. He has a lot of work to do but I'm not too concerned yet.

the offensive problems were mostly due to the Oline who were fairly young and they did improve throughout the year. (Starting a true freshman TE convert at center in the big ten is a recipe for disaster). So long as they continue to improve everything else will go much smoother.

Defensively could be rough especially up front but I don't see that ever being a strength with Frost so who knows there. LB can't get any worse. DBs will be good.

Recruiting has been pretty excellent all things considered so plenty of talent is coming in the pipeline. Just needs to start winning some of the closer games.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Bad week for Iowa, but I have to imagine racist shit like that happens at every program. Ferentz may have been taking it to a new level, but still.

I did chuckle at Ferentz talking about his contract extension.

Renegade

Charge on!
Hard time blame Spielman, Frost pretty much threw everyone under the bus the first thing he did when he arrived and Martinez hangs him out to dry 5+ times a game. Combine all that with constantly losing and it's not too surprising he wants out. Odd timing because Spielman already used his redshirt so he will have to play FCS or get a waiver from the NCAA so he must have really wanted out.

Frost imo came in with a big head thinking he would roll over everyone not realizing big ten ball is a lot different than AAC. He has a lot of work to do but I'm not too concerned yet.

IMO, Frost is not a good college head coach long-term. He doesn't maintain discipline amongst the players, as he wants to act like their big brother. And he's a poor leader with a really odd personality. He hit the mother lode at UCF coming into a program with really strong discipline and upperclassman leadership, but one that desperately needed a new person in charge. He loosened up the culture, which was great short-term. But he really struck gold that we had a lot of talent, especially on defense, and players that were well disciplined. That 0-12 team should have been no worse than 6-6, but GOL was past time to go, he brought in shithead Brent Key as the most inept OC in history, and we had injuries across the board. Not going to undersell Frost's rebuild, but there was a lot more talent there than it seems. Frost made some needed changes and brought in some serious playmakers plus an elite QB. But he inherited a lot more than most people realize.

And by the end of that second season, we started having behavioral issues we never had under GOL, and since then, several of Frost's recruits have gotten into serious trouble. Heupel struggled some early on to tighten down on the behavioral issues and try to move the pendulum to the middle of not being a giant dick like GOL but also not being an "inmates run the asylum" deal like Frost. We'll see if he's able to maintain that.

But the biggest thing is that Frost should be sending McKenzie Milton a 30 year old Scotch every year to thank him for making him so much money. Frost is going to live and die by his QB. Martinez is talented, but he's not Milton. He needs a guy like Milton with lightning quick reads and release to make the offense work, especially if the OL isn't elite. But the entire thing is pretty much going to live or die by the QB.

Defensively could be rough especially up front but I don't see that ever being a strength with Frost so who knows there. LB can't get any worse. DBs will be good.

Chinander is probably a decent LB coach, but he was a fuck up at DC. He's lucky he had Shaquem Griffin to bail him out repeatedly. I don't think any of his DL recruits have panned out for us. He did ok at DB and a few guys at LB, but the DL was garbage. He likes 6'8, 215 basketball players at DE, and that shit just doesn't work.

The two main struggles we had last year were shit depth on the OL and shit depth on the DL. In both cases, almonst none of Frost's recruits were worth a shit. Frost & Chinander totally benefited from GOL leaving them some old school tough players on both lines. Chins gets credit for identifying some under-utilized talent like Shaquem, and hitting the jackpot on Mike Hughes and a couple of young DBs, but his DL recruiting sucked major ass.

The real test for Frost will be if he's willing to shitcan Chinander after another awful season on defense. The guy is his best friend and was best man at his wedding. So we'll see if Frost will really need do what must be done to win at Nebraska.

Last edited:

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
IMO, Frost is not a good college head coach long-term. He doesn't maintain discipline amongst the players, as he wants to act like their big brother. And he's a poor leader with a really odd personality. He hit the mother lode at UCF coming into a program with really strong discipline and upperclassman leadership, but one that desperately needed a new person in charge. He loosened up the culture, which was great short-term. But he really struck gold that we had a lot of talent, especially on defense, and players that were well disciplined. That 0-12 team should have been no worse than 6-6, but GOL was past time to go, he brought in shithead Brent Key as the most inept OC in history, and we had injuries across the board. Not going to undersell Frost's rebuild, but there was a lot more talent there than it seems. Frost made some needed changes and brought in some serious playmakers plus an elite QB. But he inherited a lot more than most people realize.

And by the end of that second season, we started having behavioral issues we never had under GOL, and since then, several of Frost's recruits have gotten into serious trouble. Heupel struggled some early on to tighten down on the behavioral issues and try to move the pendulum to the middle of not being a giant dick like GOL but also not being an "inmates run the asylum" deal like Frost. We'll see if he's able to maintain that.

But the biggest thing is that Frost should be sending McKenzie Milton a 30 year old Scotch every year to thank him for making him so much money. Frost is going to live and die by his QB. Martinez is talented, but he's not Milton. He needs a guy like Milton with lightning quick reads and release to make the offense work, especially if the OL isn't elite. But the entire thing is pretty much going to live or die by the QB.

Chinander is probably a decent LB coach, but he was a fuck up at DC. He's lucky he had Shaquem Griffin to bail him out repeatedly. I don't think any of his DL recruits have panned out for us. He did ok at DB and a few guys at LB, but the DL was garbage. He likes 6'8, 215 basketball players at DE, and that shit just doesn't work.

The two main struggles we had last year were shit depth on the OL and shit depth on the DL. In both cases, almonst none of Frost's recruits were worth a shit. Frost & Chinander totally benefited from GOL leaving them some old school tough players on both lines. Chins gets credit for identifying some under-utilized talent like Shaquem, and hitting the jackpot on Mike Hughes and a couple of young DBs, but his DL recruiting sucked major ass.

The real test for Frost will be if he's willing to shitcan Chinander after another awful season on defense. The guy is his best friend and was best man at his wedding. So we'll see if Frost will really need do what must be done to win at Nebraska.

Yeah I don't really disagree with much of this although it is a stretch to say he is a bad coach. His tenure at Nebraska is less than desirable so far but it has only been two years and he has opted to go the development route; there is something like 21 red shirt freshman this year. Martinez and the offense was heavily handicapped by poor o-line play which imo improved drastically as the year went progressed and should continue to improve which will make things so much smoother all around. It was painfully obvious Frost had to scheme around the poor o-line play

Not really going to defend Chinander or the defense too much. The LB's were dreadful but the D-line and DB had some NFL caliber players. I am totally fine with giving him this year to get his players in and his own system up and running. They had their moments. but I agree he may need to go sooner than later.

I can't speak to the cultural issues much I try not to pay attention to that stuff too much.