• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 Premier League

Chase

Relegated - Fulham, Norwich City, Cardiff
Promoted - Leicester City, Burnley, QPR/Wigan/Derby County
Champions League - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
Europa - Spurs, Everton, Hull City

- Louis Van Gaal expeceted to be named Manchester United corch sometime this week
- West Brom's Pepe Mel has been fired
- Aston Villa are up for sale

Championship Playoff 2nd leg of QPR/Wigan is on at 2:45 on beIN.

NML

Interested to see what happens with Jozy - World Cup will probably be a big factor. Sunderland in general will be interesting; they are losing a lot of key players from a very below average team.

Hope Stoke go sign a world class striker and keep pushing up the table.

And, as always, hope an American (or five) make their way to the EPL so I can watch them more.

NML

No need - he's not Bradley or Dempsey who are, for the most part, done developing. Plus he still has plenty of suitors overseas.

I wouldn't be shocked if they keep him, he had some strong performances late and is still probably second choice to Wickham. Jozy didn't seem to enjoy his time all that much doe, so he could push for a move. Issue is he'd have to take a pay cut.

Maybe Ligue 1? Bedoya tore it up this season, and I think his physical style would do really well there.

NML

I don't see how continuing to be a bust in the EPL will help his development though.

I think this summer you'll see a more well-rounded Jozy than in the past because of what he was asked to do, but yeah I agree this season again won't do much for him.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
So, let's hear the way-too-early wants, needs, predictions predict actions, etc. for your team......

1. Will Jose be fired, like every other manager under Roman who finished a season without a trophy? No. But he won't be allowed a second trophy-less season, either. And he knows it. So I expect a few big-money, big-name purchases.

2. How much of the old guard sticks around? If it were up to me, I'd keep Terry, and let Lampard and Cole go. I'm also curious what the prognosis is on Cech's shoulder. Ideally, he's healthy, Courtois is brought back into the fold, and you let those two battle it out for the #1 job. But it's not up to me, and I think Jose still loves his old man players. Wouldn't surprise me to see all of Terry, Lamps, and Cole back next year.

3. Striker situation. Eto'o's contract is up, and Jose implied that's it. He also said Torres likely will be back, and that he likes him as a player, likes his work rate, likes his movement, etc.; he just doesn't score enough. Maybe he's just pumping him up publicly to stir up some interest in him, who knows? I think the club would sell him, but I don't see anyone offering big enough wages that Torres would agree to it. So I expect he'll be around. If any good offers came in for Ba, I'd like to see him sold, Lukaku brought back in, Torres kept (I guess), and someone like Costa brought in.

4. Key needs. For one, Chelsea need a guy who can take a decent free kick. Lampard is still decent, but he doesn't play all the time and might not be around next year. Oscar and Willian take a bunch of them, and they're usually bad. Luiz drops a zomgamazzzing free kick goal every now and again, but puts 20 of them into the upper deck in between those goals. Chelsea have a big lineup -- Terry, Ivan, Cahill, Matic, etc. -- but they don't take advantage of it enough, because most corners and free kicks are shit. A goal machine striker is also needed, obviously. Not enough goals. The games Chelsea dropped against "bad" teams weren't usually 4-3....they were 0-0, 0-1 type games with a bunch if inaccurate shots.

5. I'm all for defensive discipline and stressing the importance of clean sheets, but I'd like Jose to get more aggressive against the bottom of the table teams. Maybe run a 4-1-3-2 and really push for a couple first half goals. An attitude adjustment might also be in order for those games. I don't expect Chelsea to repeat this year's top of table success: 6 points each against Liverpool and City, 4 points each against Arsenal, ManU, and Tottenham. That means they'll have to eliminate many of the losses/draws against smaller clubs.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Letting Cole go would be a mistake unless they are keeping Bertand around. Cole actually looked good in his few appearances at the end of the season. Lamps should be gone.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Letting Cole go would be a mistake unless they are keeping Bertand around. Cole actually looked good in his few appearances at the end of the season. Lamps should be gone.

Cole is less effective than Azpi at this point. I'd rather have Azpi and Bertrand to man that spot.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Azpilicueta was one of the better fullbacks in the league towards the end, so a lot of players were less effective than him. Cole still looked very good in his couple appearances late in the season. He doesn't need to start, but they don't have much depth there if he leaves.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Azpilicueta was one of the better fullbacks in the league towards the end, so a lot of players were less effective than him. Cole still looked very good in his couple appearances late in the season. He doesn't need to start, but they don't have much depth there if he leaves.

If he's going to play for cheaper wages and be happy with a backup role, then I'm all for it. But I don't really see that happening. I would prefer to start bringing Bertrand into the first team plans.

Chase

So, let's hear the way-too-early wants, needs, predictions predict actions, etc. for your team......

- Luke Shaw. Sky Sports News said that United made a $27 million dollar bid for him and expect it to be finalized before the World Cup. $27 million for a LB is Man City/Chelsea-like numbers but if you want quality, he's your guy. United spent over $30 million for Ferdinand and he was more than worth it.

- Louis Van Gaal to analyze the squad. Sell who needs to be sold. I've read a lot a lot about what he has done at other clubs and he's very keen on promoting players from the youth squad especially at Bayern. This is where he's reel e good. An example would be turning David Alaba into a LB from being a CM.

- Midfield needs to be addressed. The most ideal options are Kroos, Strootman and Carvalho. Fellaini/Cleverely aren't good enough. Carrick is old. This is the most pressing need. Strootman with his LVG ties would probably mean a > 50% of actually happening, assuming he's healthy.

- Wingers need to be addressed as well. I know Pedro is for sale at Barcelona. Maybe someone like Griezmann. Nani/Ashley Young are shite and one of them will probably be sold. Maybe give Zaha a chance. People think Reus is Manchester bound but I don't see it. Dortmund is losing Lewandowski, can't see them losing their best player in addition to him.

- Vidic is gone, so another CB will probably be needed. Chris Smalling is a very good PL quality CB. Moyes was foolishly playing him at RB for most of the season. Ideally Smalling-Jones would be an ideal pairing going forward, but they'll need another depth signing (assuming Rio goes to the MLS).

- Would be perfectly fine if Van Gaal is keen and Rooney (to Chelsea?) is sold this summer. I'm not sure how he fits going forward in LVG's system.

- Thrilled United aren't in the Europa league. There's no $$$ incentive to winning, you're playing in 2nd world countries on Thursdays which push your PL games to Sundays. And it'll reel e stretch your squad.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Anyhow, for City:

-Needs #1, 2, and 3 are another CB, preferably a young one. Nasta was hurt all year, DiMichelis is a ticking time bomb, Lescott is leaving. Part of the reason City struggled so much early on was Kompany's injury, there's a big drop off in talent after him. The problem is who to get. Everyone is in the market for CBs, so it won't be cheap. Mangala is probably my #1 choice since he can also fill in at LB and is just 23. Other options, Mehdi Benatia, Ezequiel Garay perhaps? Wouldn't mind getting two new CBs, really. Another option is recalling Karim Rekik and giving him a go, but he's probably better served with one more year in the Netherlands or on loan to a PL side since he's just 19.

-If Micah Richards leaves, another RB is needed. Hell if I know who it'll be though. Sagna would be nice but a stopgap, and his wages would be pretty high for a backup. Zaba is amazing, though. Tasende looks to be a great prospect but he's way too young, won't be a factor for a while. At LB, I suppose it's possible either Kolarov or Clichy leave. Would love to see Sevilla's Alberto Moreno come in. Young and Spanish.

-There's a possibility that one or two of the 4 strikers leaves. I don't know if I buy Aguero to Barca; City don't need the money and he's happy here, I'm guessing if one leaves it'll be Dzeko, though given his resurgence over the last month I'm not quite sure. City are comfortable here though. Guidetti's future needs to be decided, he was nonexistent on loan at Stoke. If one of the STs do leave, I don't even know who we'd get to replace them. In the case of Aguero leaving I'd want Berardi; he's the best example I can think of of a guy who plays like Aguero and is fairly young. If Dzeko leaves, who knows. The biggest 'addition' will almost surely be Jovetic returning to full fitness, though.

-Decide what to do with Marcos Lopes and Emyr Huws, among other prospects. Lopes is developing really well, I think he could certainly play a role as a sub, but it may be better to loan him out somewhere, at least for half a season, instead of just playing him in cup games. Huws is a similar story, He shined at Birmingham on loan, looks to have a bright future.

-The midfield is a strength right now. Bruno Zuculini is coming on a cheap deal from Racing in Argentina, and should be one for the future at CDM. Javi Garcia has rekindled his Benfica form, Ferna and Yaya are still solid. Further up, Silva, Nasri, Navas, Milner, etc. are all still solid. If Porto's Fernando can be bought cheaply, it'd be nice, but otherwise, there is no need for midfielders. I still personally want me some Paul Pogba though. :love:

-Anyways, with City now in Pot 2 of the UCL (at least for this year), A better performance will be expected. I'd be pretty upset with less than a quarterfinal appearance. The goal this year should be to gain enough coeffcieint points to make sure City remain in Pot 2 for the future.

Chase

Shaw for $27mm is a steal. Also Pool want Lallana. Really hope Soton don't get chewed up again this summer.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27371960

Yep. If the FFP means anything in the future then an 18 year old LB who doesn't count in the 25 man squad due to his age and would be a 'homegrown' asset on any team sheet in the future would be quite the steal.

Lallana is probably going to Liverpool too. Southampton getting raided. Their corch is probably next.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Spurs'll want him. I'm just hoping he stays out of a big club long enough to be an option in the far future once Pellegrini leaves.

One player I'd want (Not for HG or anything) from Soton would be Rodriguez. Not that he'll be cheaper with his injury ATM, but he's a stud.

My one question about Shaw to United would be his wage. I've seen him being offered anywhere from 80-100k per, which is pretty crazy because we all know that is bound to increase in the future. Still, 27mm for Shaw now is cheaper than 45mm for Shaw two years in the future, especially if the FA is going to start doing stupid things with HG rules or something (Judging by their comments towards City, it's possible)

Chase

My one question about Shaw to United would be his wage. I've seen him being offered anywhere from 80-100k per, which is pretty crazy because we all know that is bound to increase in the future.

Don't forget that their wage bill will no longer have Vidic (120k), Rio (100k) and Evra (90k). Even if Evra or Rio comes back (Evra far more unlikely) their wage bill should be smaller next year.

Just hope some team like Newcastle takes Ashley Young and his 118k per week wages..

QPR down 1-0 at home to Wigan and the 1st leg was 0-0. Would be hilarious if QPR didn't make it back up.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Wigan deserve to be back up imo. They've had some really good showings in the two cups this year, and their coach is awesome.

chibob

United need a huge overhall. Its hard to even know where to start because it all depends on how Van Gaal sets them up. A starting CB, a starting LB and a replacement RB to rotate with Rafael (Smalling isnt convincing at RB)

If we get Shaw then thats a great move, and anything under thirty million is a steal. An older more experienced CB could be a good fix (older than 27 younger than 30) a wise head to partner with the likes of Jones, Smalling and Evans. Someone like Pique but someone we could actually get.

Midfield wise we're kinda okay in the middle of the park. But we need to get rid of all the wingers with the exception of Valenicia and Januzaj - Nani and Young has been hopeless and Zaha seemed so un-motivated at Cardiff that I think he may be a flop. Should probably sell him back to Crystal Palace or at least loan him out.

Up front I think we will lose Hernandez, and Wellbeck could also go even though I think hes still a good player. I think he needs to get used to life as a utility striker or seriously step his game up, hes a good level premier league striker just not a world beater which Rooney and RVP are.

United need a real catalyst player, someone capable of changing games.

United need to do some serious fat cutting and get rid of this glutton of average talent and replace it with hungry young/world renowned capable players.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Didn't van Gaal set a date of May 7th as a deadline for getting a deal done? I know he wanted to have it wrapped up before the Dutch open camp, to avoid distractions. Is this starting to feel like a DONE DEAL to anyone else?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
No, I was just curious. I only watched a couple united games after he moved and he looked very good. Wasn't sure if that was the usual. He is a fun player to watch. Just wanted to ask someone who watched united play instead of reading ESPN.

Chase

Didn't van Gaal set a date of May 7th as a deadline for getting a deal done? I know he wanted to have it wrapped up before the Dutch open camp, to avoid distractions. Is this starting to feel like a DONE DEAL to anyone else?

There's no deadline. I'm sure a deal is already done but there was no chance of naming him corch before the season ended.

Also, Diego Costa to Chelsea. DONE DEAL.

chibob

No, I was just curious. I only watched a couple united games after he moved and he looked very good. Wasn't sure if that was the usual. He is a fun player to watch. Just wanted to ask someone who watched united play instead of reading ESPN.

Well yeh im happy with him, hard to do much in half a season and with all the other problems weve had but Mata is probably the best business that Moyes did.

Even though certain players this season have sucked under Moyes for the majority of the season doesnt necessarily mean that they will under a new manager, be in Van Gaal or whoever.

Carrick will probably step it up, and hopefully so will Kagawa who has shown glimpses of something special. And maybe Fletcher rekindles some of his previous ability, then thats three decent CMs, bring in Jesse Lingard and Nick Powell into the mix and then one world class signing and we should be good.

Get rid of Cleverly, and I dont really know what to do with Feileini.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Arsenal need a lot of players. But, a lot of the players they need are just filling some small roles. I feel pretty good about the starting 11, honestly.

They need a backup GK and two backup CBs (Vermaelen is probably gone after the season) to start.

The next thing is the right back situation. Sagna is probably gone, and that's a potentially big hole. Jenkinson has looked decent enough when he's played, but I'm not convinced by him yet. Need someone who can step up if Jenkinson doesn't fare well in that position.

I would like a strong DM that could drive the offense as well. I mean, basically another Patrick Vieira :laughing: Those players don't grow on trees, obviously. Arsenal can live without that player, but it could arguably put them over the top.

They also need a backup striker. Remy would be perfect there. Sanogo hasn't scored a goal yet, and that's not a great sign. I think he'll develop eventually, but it would also be nice to have a different type of player who could partner with Giroud (or Sanogo, too).

After that, it's probably all gravy. Arsenal, again, will have to live and die by injuries. Arsenal finished 7 points behind Man City, and I think you can easily see Arsenal winning 7 more points with Walcott, Ramsey, and the Ox healthy throughout the year. If they add the players above, and stay healthy, then they can challenge for (and possibly win) the title next year. Neither of those things will likely happen though.

chibob

Sources saying Southampton have rejected Utd.

This is the awkward position we find ourselves in these days...going to have to pay over the odds for players.

Anything south of 30 million is worth it, id say go as high as £35 but anything higher we are being mugged off.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
There's no deadline. I'm sure a deal is already done but there was no chance of naming him corch before the season ended.

This was from May 7:
Yet the delay comes as a surprise given Wednesday's apparent deadline – imposed by Van Gaal, the Holland coach, and the Dutch Football Association – to have his future sorted out before he begins preparations for the tournament.

Guardian

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think Guus is already going to take over Holland after the WC, so that's 1 step towards LVG to Man U

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I assume the whole deadline thing was to avoid any distractions during the WC. Probably don't want to have the media blaming the Dutch exit in the quarters on your being distracted by the new job.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
A.) how the hell do you pronounce that guy's name?

B.) top 5? Does he not know it's top 4 that matters?

He's new there, if he spent 180M and actually placed 5th I don't think anybody would call him a failure though

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Of course not. Championship to top 5 in the Premier League in 3 years would be one hell of an achievement. It's just an interesting target to set. It's like a NFL corch saying our goal is to make the conference semi's in 3 years. wat? Of course he'll say the goal is the Super Bowl.