• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Lejuan jones with a 3 to lead the heat over the warriors. I think beagle had 16.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
BgXUiSFIEAAK84E.jpg

NML

Well dominance in college guarantees professional success (see Williams, Derrick) and a knee injury on a big man shouldn't be a concern (see Oden, Greg).

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Blazers definitely hit the skids over the last month. Still a good season n all but I'm having flashbacks to the 0-13 finish to the season last year

Keith1212

Fuck. I remember now that you're a Miami fan of everything but their mediocre college football team. He is good. For whatever reason though, he still doesn't carry that best in the world vibe with him. It's like no one questioned Jordan, Bird, Magic, or even someone like Olajuwon but when someone says Lebron is the best I automatically want to argue against it. He's an athletic freak in a weaker NBA. He should be better then he is I feel. I can't really put my finger on it.

R2D2

Lebron James sucks

Anthony Bennett is the best #1 draft pick in all of NBA history

Come at me

Heisman06

Fuck. I remember now that you're a Miami fan of everything but their mediocre college football team. He is good. For whatever reason though, he still doesn't carry that best in the world vibe with him. It's like no one questioned Jordan, Bird, Magic, or even someone like Olajuwon but when someone says Lebron is the best I automatically want to argue against it. He's an athletic freak in a weaker NBA. He should be better then he is I feel. I can't really put my finger on it.

Haha I would always pull for the U to win before the move to the ACC. I've been attending Clemson games since childhood so the move complicated things. Santana Moss caught my young eye during his freshman/sophomore season. Then came Ed Reed. Then Sean Taylor (RIP). I have a lot of respect for that program.

As for LeBron, I think he's just put on a higher pedestal than other players. It's always "but he's not Jordan" with a lot of people. Not saying you but as you'd imagine, I deal with a lot of Jordan fanboys. The thought of someone passing the worshiped His Airness puts off the people around in MJ's prime.

This has led to LeBron's every move being scrutinized since he was a senior in high school. He's the rare "next phenom" that actually lives up to the hype. The pressure on this guy is out of the roof. Admittedly, some of that has been brought in by his own misgivings. The King James nickname/tattoo, The Decision, etc.

Him and KD have eerily similar career paths. Similar playoff appearances, first round exits, conference finals and each had a championship loss in their first 6 years. LeBron caught absolute hell and was deemed a failure. KD gets a pass for whatever reason.

Is LeBron the best ever right now? No way. Is he too 5? You can make that argument. And he's still only 28 and showing zero signs of breaking down. He's improving each year adding a post game, better jumper, etc in the last couple of seasons. It's very possible he goes down as the best ever as long as he remains a cyborg and avoids injury.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Haha I would always pull for the U to win before the move to the ACC. I've been attending Clemson games since childhood so the move complicated things. Santana Moss caught my young eye during his freshman/sophomore season. Then came Ed Reed. Then Sean Taylor (RIP). I have a lot of respect for that program.

As for LeBron, I think he's just put on a higher pedestal than other players. It's always "but he's not Jordan" with a lot of people. Not saying you but as you'd imagine, I deal with a lot of Jordan fanboys. The thought of someone passing the worshiped His Airness puts off the people around in MJ's prime.

This has led to LeBron's every move being scrutinized since he was a senior in high school. He's the rare "next phenom" that actually lives up to the hype. The pressure on this guy is out of the roof. Admittedly, some of that has been brought in by his own misgivings. The King James nickname/tattoo, The Decision, etc.

Him and KD have eerily similar career paths. Similar playoff appearances, first round exits, conference finals and each had a championship loss in their first 6 years. LeBron caught absolute hell and was deemed a failure. KD gets a pass for whatever reason.

Is LeBron the best ever right now? No way. Is he too 5? You can make that argument. And he's still only 28 and showing zero signs of breaking down. He's improving each year adding a post game, better jumper, etc in the last couple of seasons. It's very possible he goes down as the best ever as long as he remains a cyborg and avoids injury.

Bolded means you don't understand the world.

I think Lebreezy is a better basketball player than Jordan, but his mental game as of now precludes him from overtaking His Airness.

sayo

YEET
I've always liked the festivities for Saturday night at All-Star. Nice to see a Trail Blazer in an event much less all of them.

Predictions
Skills Challenge-
Goran Dragic

3 Point Contest-
Steph Curry

Dunk Contest-
John Wall

Heisman06

Bolded means you don't understand the world.

Well, yeah. But what isn't true about what I said?

In LeBron's first six seasons: 5 winning records, 4 playoff appearances (losing twice in the 2nd round, once in conference finals and once in the NBA Finals)

In Durant's first six seasons: 4 winning records, 4 playoff appearances (losing once in the 1st round, once in the 2nd round, once in the coference finals and once in the NBA Finals)

LeBron was questioned about his desire, mental makeup, clutchability* and heart among other things before he left Cleveland. Then The Decision came -- obviously a misguided decision -- and all the narratives took over. "LeBron couldn't do it by himself." "He's Robin, not Batman." ETC ETC.

Meanwhile, Durant -- who I love to watch play and genuinely like -- has the exact same "failures" as LeBron while playing with a MUCH better roster but gets no heat from the media. Not even trolls like Bayless. LeBron never had another player as good as Ibaka in Cleveland, much less Westbrook or Harden.

*definitely not a word

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So they have the same failures but Durant has a better cast... what could possibly be the reason he doesn't get as much heat (no pun intended)?

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Really enjoying the new east vs west format for these skills challenges. An entire money ball rack really adds a different dimension to the three point contest

sayo

YEET
Really enjoying the new east vs west format for these skills challenges. An entire money ball rack really adds a different dimension to the three point contest
Just coming in here to say that I hate the East/West gimmick. Get back to the individual aspects of the skills competitions.

bruin

someone said on twitter last night that nba all star weekend is becoming like the probowl. all star weekend hasn't been good since what...vince carter in 2000?

jdlikewhoa

I expected some kind of head to head or 3 way "dunk off" once the winning team was picked. It's like they sat down and thought, "How could we cram the most exciting part of All Star weekend into 15 minutes?"

Good thing there was what seemed like a neverending celebrity game the night before

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
The dunk contest hasn't been the most exciting part for like 5 years. :laughing: Dwight Howard Superman was the last time it was interesting.

Bucksin04

I forget who I was going back and forth with on Oldtopia about Dan Gilbert and his letter, but here's an interview from a few days ago about it.

Q: I can’t sit down with the owner of the Cavaliers and not ask a LeBron question. What kind of relationship do you have with him now, if any, and have you had any communication with him since he left?
A: I just can’t get into that because he’s under contract to another team.

Q: How about The Letter? As a whole, do you regret sending it?
A: I would’ve reworded the language in The Letter, but I don’t regret sending a letter out to our fan base. People forget the letter was not to LeBron, it was to our fan base. If I had to do it again, for sure, I would’ve reworded several parts of it. But I think it definitely needed a strong statement from me at that time. I keep a couple binders on my desk and I have a binder of the responses to The Letter from the people of Cleveland. There’s thousands, maybe 2,000 from every facet of life, from CEOs of big companies to hand-written letters from 94-year-old ladies, from street sweepers to policemen and firemen. The response went way beyond. For some reason, it appealed to this generational Cleveland thing. If you want to talk about books, someone should publish all the responses to The Letter. It was like, ‘We’re from Cleveland and we’ve been rejected.’

Q: Were you surprised by the reaction? Did you know it would cause that type of firestorm?
A: No, not to the extent that it did. I didn’t think it would. Going back now and looking, yeah probably. But at the time? I didn’t think it would become sort of the thing that it did.

Q: Has it had any negative impact on your organization over the last four years?
A: You never know for sure, but I haven’t felt it or been aware of it. People said nobody would come here, that’s not true. Do I think any players are going to not come here because Dan wrote a letter three or four years ago? I don’t think so.

Full interview is here btw: http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/cav...lse&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed