• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 Premier League

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Well, last season is officially in the books, so I suppose it's time to start a new thread.

And since it's now transfer rumor time, what do you think teams need this year? For Arsenal, they definitely need a new goalie. I would love to have Cech, but I'm guessing Chelsea might not be willing to sell him to Arsenal. Other than that, I think they're pretty set. The only thing that really worries me about the rest of the team is if the Coq can't keep it up next year. I wouldn't mind another defensive midfielder, but I doubt it happens. A lot of people are talking about another striker for Arsenal, but I really don't think that happens. Giroud was really good this year, and I think you can cobble together a decent enough backup with Welbeck, Sanogo, and Walcott.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
For Arsenal, they definitely need a new goalie. I would love to have Cech, but I'm guessing Chelsea might not be willing to sell him to Arsenal.

Pay a big enough number and they will. Jose ain't scurred of Arsenal, so long as Wenger is in charge there.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
City will probably bring in some over the hill guy to play a key position and loan out youth that could make an impact and casually have a top 4 finish and Round of 16 UCL elimination.

worst2first

I'm praying to footy Jebus that Benteke stays. Lambert says he thinks he will go but what the hell does he know? Villa is said to be offering 15 million squiggles. I guess it will come down to how badly he wants to play in European competition. Villa has enough talent to place much better than 17th but I'm not sure about their chances to finish near the top.

Cissokho, Senderos, Weimann, Carles Gil, Matt Lowton and Libor Kozak are all probably leaving. I don't know much of anything about Gil, Lowton and Kozak. None of these players accomplished much while with Villa. Weimann has contributed at times so I could see him maybe staying.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Lowton scored an amazing goal like 2 years ago and hasn't done shit since, haha.

NML

Milner to Liverpool.

I'm guessing he's replacing Sterling? He's almost definitely better than him currently.

I always like a free transfer of someone of this quality. Kolo Toure joined the same way and he's done a solid job over the past two seasons.

chibob

Well, last season is officially in the books, so I suppose it's time to start a new thread.

And since it's now transfer rumor time, what do you think teams need this year? For Arsenal, they definitely need a new goalie. I would love to have Cech, but I'm guessing Chelsea might not be willing to sell him to Arsenal. Other than that, I think they're pretty set. The only thing that really worries me about the rest of the team is if the Coq can't keep it up next year. I wouldn't mind another defensive midfielder, but I doubt it happens. A lot of people are talking about another striker for Arsenal, but I really don't think that happens. Giroud was really good this year, and I think you can cobble together a decent enough backup with Welbeck, Sanogo, and Walcott.

I think that if Arsenal want to win the Premier League then they need a GK, a CB, and another striker.

chibob

If anything truthfully I think the goalie you could get away with not replacing. Ospina has been really good.

Kosc and Mert will both be 30 or over next season. The smart thing would be to have a younger but accomplished defender to rotate in with Mertesacker. And also be available in case one gets an injury.

Giroud has been great, the midfield have chipped in with loads of goals, Sanchez especially. But Welbs got like 9 goals this season? Will he chip in with more next year? Will Walcott even be fit to play more than half the season if that? For the last two seasons he hasn't been. The smart move would be to bring in a young striker who is a proven goal scorer, or someone more established who is happy to play in a rotation. Iv heard Higuan.

These buys don't have to be galacticos signings but they need to be smart and will probably need to cost more than average in order to get a finished product/player capable of getting it done straight away.

Remember I'm talking about you winning the league, not just competing.

Next season with the new tv rights coming in everyone is going to step it up.

Chelsea will get stronger (obvious potential replacement for Terry and one more striker to replace Drogba.)

Man Utd will break the bank again at multiple positions all depending on what happens with DeGea.

And City will probably get Pogba - plus whoever else wants to join the darkside.

Shits going to crazy next year - Arsenal need to not rest on their laurels after a good season like we've seen them do over and over again. Theyll just be third again if they do, or maybe 4th.

Heisman06

It's gonna be interesting to see what Chelsea does. Jose believes in the 1-in, 1-out line of thinking so it really just depends on who leaves.

- Drogba is gone so a striker or another forward is needed. Falcao has been mentioned as a cheap option, with him saying he'll lower his wages. I still don't want anything to do with him. Gimme Benteke or Lavezzi, two others that have been mentioned.

- John Terry and Gary Cahill are locked into starter positions at CB with Kurt Zouma as the future. Sooner or later, they have to find their JT replacement so Rapphael Varane is a player I'm extremely interested in.

- Filipe Luis is rumored to want to go back to Spain and if that's the case, fullback is a need and there's a number of different directions they can go there. Cuadrado could leave too as he's unlikely to break into the starting line-up anytime soon.

- The dream is to keep Cech behind Courtois but that's a pipe dream. A young solid backup GK is needed.

chibob

It's gonna be interesting to see what Chelsea does. Jose believes in the 1-in, 1-out line of thinking so it really just depends on who leaves.

- Drogba is gone so a striker or another forward is needed. Falcao has been mentioned as a cheap option, with him saying he'll lower his wages. I still don't want anything to do with him. Gimme Benteke or Lavezzi, two others that have been mentioned.

- John Terry and Gary Cahill are locked into starter positions at CB with Kurt Zouma as the future. Sooner or later, they have to find their JT replacement so Rapphael Varane is a player I'm extremely interested in.

- Filipe Luis is rumored to want to go back to Spain and if that's the case, fullback is a need and there's a number of different directions they can go there. Cuadrado could leave too as he's unlikely to break into the starting line-up anytime soon.

- The dream is to keep Cech behind Courtois but that's a pipe dream. A young solid backup GK is needed.

They'll get the guy whose at Southampton on loan back, no?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If anything truthfully I think the goalie you could get away with not replacing. Ospina has been really good.

Kosc and Mert will both be 30 or over next season. The smart thing would be to have a younger but accomplished defender to rotate in with Mertesacker. And also be available in case one gets an injury.

Giroud has been great, the midfield have chipped in with loads of goals, Sanchez especially. But Welbs got like 9 goals this season? Will he chip in with more next year? Will Walcott even be fit to play more than half the season if that? For the last two seasons he hasn't been. The smart move would be to bring in a young striker who is a proven goal scorer, or someone more established who is happy to play in a rotation. Iv heard Higuan.

These buys don't have to be galacticos signings but they need to be smart and will probably need to cost more than average in order to get a finished product/player capable of getting it done straight away.

Remember I'm talking about you winning the league, not just competing.

Next season with the new tv rights coming in everyone is going to step it up.

Chelsea will get stronger (obvious potential replacement for Terry and one more striker to replace Drogba.)

Man Utd will break the bank again at multiple positions all depending on what happens with DeGea.

And City will probably get Pogba - plus whoever else wants to join the darkside.

Shits going to crazy next year - Arsenal need to not rest on their laurels after a good season like we've seen them do over and over again. Theyll just be third again if they do, or maybe 4th.

Yeah, gotcha. I think for the central defender, they have Gabriel and Chambers to fill that role. Chambers was obviously up and down, but he's only 20 now I believe. And Gabriel looked really good when he played. Unless one of those 4 go, Wenger isn't going to bring in anybody for that position. Unless he doesn't see Chambers as a central defender, I suppose. Really, I'm fine with those 4.

Striker, yeah, can see what you're saying. Again, Wenger won't bring in anybody unless someone moves on. You're basically taking a gamble on Walcott's fitness. I'd be happy if they brought in another striker, but I doubt it happens. Also, Poldoski is coming back from loan, but he won't stay.

chibob

I think if Wenger was to do something hugely uncharacteristic like buy another world class striker like a Cavanni or Benzema or Lacazette then id put you top two for next year.

City, Chelsea and United will all get stronger. Arsenal in the past have made the mistake of having a good season and then not strengthening and then sliding backwards. History never repeats itself but it rhymes.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Arsenal are probably getting Jackson but he doesn't make me all that excited.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni

Jose needs to add a little more than just like-for-like replacements. Chelsea don't have the depth to compete domestically AND in Europe. Hell, they ran out of gas in league games over the last couple months, and that was after they were already out of Europe.

Plus, Chelsea were pretty lucky this past season on the injury front. If Matic, Hazard, Terry, Willian, etc. went down for an extended period of time, it would be a big problem.

chibob

You do have the players though. He just doesnt play them.

He'd rather play an injured Costa than a fit Remy.

Same for Willian and Hazard than Cuadardo.

Or Matic for Ramires.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Has Mourinho ever really rolled with a big squad with rotation? From the outside looking in, he seems to get a small group of favorite players and play them all the time.

chibob

He always has big squads, but he only plays the same guys week in week out.

Chelsea squad is massive.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Right, that's what I was saying. My point being that it may not matter if Mourinho gets more depth because he won't play them.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
You do have the players though. He just doesnt play them.

He'd rather play an injured Costa than a fit Remy.

Same for Willian and Hazard than Cuadardo.

Or Matic for Ramires.

Chelsea have more depth than Mourinho uses, certainly. But it's not all the same caliber. I realize that's the difference between a starting XI and your bench players, but there are certain guys in the first XI that don't really have a true backup.

Ramires is a great squad guy and can fill in adequately all over the place. But he's not a tank like Matic. He's not lethal like Hazard. He's not a creator like Cesc.

Remy, though, I like a lot. I'd rather he get more time next season than get pushed down to #3 and someone like Falcao brought in.

Hazard and Matic are the most important, IMO. The team plays very differently when either of them is not out there. And you can't run those guys into the ground for 60 games a year.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Isn't Loftus-Cheek (great lacrosse name, all he needs in the III as well) supposed to be pretty much exactly like Matic?

chibob

Ramires is a DM (a different type of DM than Matic but a DM nonetheless)

If Matic gets injured you have Ramires, and Mikel to fill in. You also have Kurt Zouma who can play there as a secondary.

You are about 3 players deep at every position before you even come across a home grown or youth player.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Ramires is a DM (a different type of DM than Matic but a DM nonetheless)

If Matic gets injured you have Ramires, and Mikel to fill in. You also have Kurt Zouma who can play there as a secondary.

You are about 3 players deep at every position before you even come across a home grown or youth player.

This is from December, but still illustrates the point:

Since rejoining Chelsea, the club is 29-7-4 with Matic on the field, and 4-3-3 without him. I love Ramires; I think he's about as versatile as a player gets. I also like Mikel; when you need all-out defense, he's a great physical presence in front of the back line. But the team isn't the same when Matic isn't on the field.

I know it's not easy to find a Matic clone (nor a Hazard clone, etc.), but the team needs more depth of THAT quality if they want to seriously compete for the Premier League and UCL at the same time.

chibob

Yeh im not saying Matic is replacable.

Im just saying you have depth

Most clubs dont have three players whose preferred position is DM.

Hes a big loss if he gets injured but you are pretty well covered. Its not like Man Utd where we are playing wingers a fullbacks and midfielders as central defenders.

I feel like we are getting off topic anyway.

worst2first

Vlaar is probably gone but who knows where. In positive news, it looks like things are moving forward and the club might actually be sold before the start of the season.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Newcastle name Steve McLaren as manager, promptly ban him from talking to any outlets other than NUFC's "preferred media partners."

This is going to be awesome. Hope they go down next season.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, Jack.

1299733217366638223.jpg

http://screamer.deadspin.com/premier-league-starlet-pictured-passed-out-in-middle-of-1711653973

@worst2first

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yea I think he'll do good, he needed a year away from Man City but I think he was always pretty solid and he'll do great for Villa

bruin

hopefully Micah can stay healthy. It will be good to see him back in the EPL.

Liverpool rejected City's offer at 35m. Maybe it's time to move on.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think they are overhyping Sterling just because he is homegrown, we have Lopes, Denayer, and Nacho (I think Rekik is spending another year in the Netherlands) already. Sterling is good but the English Premium is a real thing

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I think they are overhyping Sterling just because he is homegrown, we have Lopes, Denayer, and Nacho (I think Rekik is spending another year in the Netherlands) already. Sterling is good but the English Premium is a real thing

It also gives them some flexibility with Champions League homegrown rules.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Dimitri Payet is supposed to be heading to West Ham too. I like what they're doing I guess, wonder how far they'll go this year

chibob