• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 Coaching Hot Seat/ Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Whachu got for me?

Hot Seat Watch List

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
Jim Mora, UCLA
Darrell Hazell, Purdue (fired 10/16/2016)
Mark Stoops, Kentucky
Steve Addazzio, Boston College
Charlie Strong, Texas (fired 11/19/2016)
Butch Jones, Tennessee
James Franklin, Penn State
Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Derek Mason, Vanderbilt
Bill Cubit, Illinois (fired March 5, 2016)
Art Briles, Baylor (fired May 27, 2016)
Les Miles, LSU (fired 9/25/2016)
Ron Turner, Florida International (fired 9/25/2016)
Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State (fired 10/24/2016)
Trent Miles, Georgia State (fired 11/13/2016)
Charlie Partridge, Florida Atlantic (fired 11/27/2016)
Brian Polian, Nevada (fired 11/27/2016)
Ron Caragher, San Jose State (fired 11/27/2016)
Kevin Wilson, Indiana (resigned 12/1/2016)
Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati (resigned 12/4/2016)

Carousel
Bill Cubit, Illinois - Fired March 5, 2016 - No interim - Lovie Smith (former Bears/ Bucs HC)
Art Briles, Baylor - Fired (??) May 27, 2016 - Jim Grobe (former Wake Forest HC) - ???
Ron Turner, Florida International - Fired September 25, 2016 - Ron Cooper (FIU DC) - Butch Davis (Former Miami/ UNC HC)
Les Miles, LSU - Fired September 25, 2016 - Ed Orgeron (LSU DL coach) - Ed Orgeron
Darrell Hazell, Purdue - Fired October 16, 2016 - Gerad Parker (PU WR Coach) - ???
Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State - Fired October 24, 2016 - Eric Kiesau (FS OC) - Jeff Tedford
Trent Miles, Georgia State - Fired November 13, 2016 - Tim Lappano (GS WR Coach) - ???
Charlie Strong, Texas - Fired November 19, 2016 - ??? - Tom Herman (Houston HC)
Tom Herman, Houston - New Texas Coach Nov. 26, 2016 - Todd Orlando (Houston DC) - ???
Charlie Partridge, Florida Atlantic - Fired November 27, 2016 - ??? - ???
Brian Polian, Nevada - Fired November 27, 2016 - ??? - ???
Ron Caragher, San Jose State - Fired November 27, 2016 - ??? - ???
Kevin Wilson, Indiana - Resigned December 01, 2016 ("Philosophical differences") - none - Tom Allen (Indiana DC)
Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati - Resigned December 04, 2016 - ?? - ??

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
No way. Just because of the rapes? Raping is gonna happen. Would you rather lose and have rapes like Tennessee and win and have rapes like Baylor?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Delaware has a new AD and based on the school President's comments....he wants more than the CAA for Delaware's athletic department.

“I was looking for the best person to take the athletics program here to the next level,” Assanis said.

Asked later to elaborate, Assanis explained:

“We are constantly thinking about the right alignment for us, which conference we play in, who are our peer schools academically and athletically?” he said. “I envision and dream about some fantastic rivalries that will bring people to the stadiums, to the arenas, that will celebrate those relationships and competitions.

“Everything is open right now. We’re going to consider with our athletic director where we want to be and define who we want to be . . . the first thing we need to be is the best within the [Colonial Athletic Association].”

This is typical Delaware. They should have made this move about 10-15 years when they were transition from the America East to the CAA. Now, they are they are days late and dollars short. Either way, Dave Brock's seat went from warm to very hot.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Delaware has a new AD and based on the school President's comments....he wants more than the CAA for Delaware's athletic department.

This is typical Delaware. They should have made this move about 10-15 years when they were transition from the America East to the CAA. Now, they are they are days late and dollars short. Either way, Dave Brock's seat went from warm to very hot.

Where else they gonna go?

goblue96

Where else they gonna go?

American is the only thing I'm coming up with. Replace UMass in MACtion? They don't bring a TV market because neither Philly or Baltimore claim them unless football or basketball is doing really, really well.

That's why I said they were a day late and a dollar short.

Renegade

Charge on!
American is the only thing I'm coming up with. Replace UMass in MACtion? They don't bring a TV market because neither Philly or Baltimore claim them unless football or basketball is doing really, really well.

That's why I said they were a day late and a dollar short.

If Delaware had gone up to the MAC or even maybe CUSA years ago, they'd be in the American right now probably.

goblue96

If Delaware had gone up to the MAC or even maybe CUSA years ago, they'd be in the American right now probably.

The AD when I worked there didn't want to do make the jump. He liked being the big fish in the small pond.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Clay Helton.

So far is 0-2 as the permanent corch, likely to be 0-3 after Alabama backs up a pallet of 40-lb. boxes. He's gotta impress, and impress fast. Even after the last two morons to coach the team, It won't be enough to just run a steady, uncontroversial ship where no one gets in trouble and urrbody graduates if they go 6-6. Unfair perhaps, because it is his first full year, after all, but his seat is already warm.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Clay Helton.

So far is 0-2 as the permanent corch, likely to be 0-3 after Alabama backs up a pallet of 40-lb. boxes. He's gotta impress, and impress fast. Even after the last two morons to coach the team, It won't be enough to just run a steady, uncontroversial ship where no one gets in trouble and urrbody graduates if they go 6-6. Unfair perhaps, because it is his first full year, after all, but his seat is already warm.

Also a new AD there, right? That could hurt Helton, given that Helton isn't Lynn Swann's (can't believe I'm typing that name :laughing: ) guy.

goblue96

Mike-Leach-Paul-Petrino-handshake.gif

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Also a new AD there, right? That could hurt Helton, given that Helton isn't Lynn Swann's (can't believe I'm typing that name :laughing: ) guy.

There's that, too. Haden kept Helton on perhaps because he saw Helton as a steady (read: sober) hand after the Sarkisian fiasco, even if maybe he never felt Helton was the long term solution (yeah, I know he got a nice contract). But with a new AD, heck - he's in the same position any newly-promoted employee is when they get a new boss. Better impress, and impress fast, or ur gone babby, gone.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I'd put Tracy Claeys at Minnesota in the same category as Helton, maybe a hotter seat considering he only got a 3 year contract and Minnesota just hired a new AD a few days ago as well. Lowest paid coach in the Big Ten as well.

purple112

Go Berzerk
Hazell would literally have to murder someone to lose his job. Purdue absolutely hates spending money on athletics and they have him locked in to an egregious contract. If 2 B1G wins in 3 years doesn't get him fired not much else will.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I'd put Tracy Claeys at Minnesota in the same category as Helton, maybe a hotter seat considering he only got a 3 year contract and Minnesota just hired a new AD a few days ago as well. Lowest paid coach in the Big Ten as well.

Unless MN somehow impresses. And I mean wins like 10 games. Claeys is gone. His contract was to keep continuity until a new AD was hired.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I also suspect Helton is gone as well unless he wins 10 games. USC is such a shitshow. It should be easy mode there but their athletic department is run by schizos.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I also suspect Helton is gone as well unless he wins 10 games. USC is such a shitshow. It should be easy mode there but their athletic department is run by schizos.

They keep hiring alumni, and specifically, footbaw players from the glory days, to be AD, regardless of their actual qualifications for the job. Granted, most of what an AD does is glad-hand the big donors, speak at fundraisers, and then sign the contracts for new coaches that are prepared by his underlings, but he still has to be moderately competent, and preferably someone plugged into the college sports scene so he kinda knows the landscape when it comes to selecting new coaches.

Helton got the HC job on the strength of beating a UCLA squad with a true freshman QB and a depleted defense that was missing several key players. While it is of course always gratifying to finally get over on your rival after a long losing streak, objectively there's no way Helton should have been given the permanent slot (especially to the tune of 3 years) when he hasn't been proven yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.