• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 Club Soccer (UCL, EL, Libertadores, CCL & Domestic Leagues)

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Well this could suck: http://www.football365.com/news/exclusive-james-richardson-to-leave-guardian-football-weekly

Football weekly is my favorite podcast, and it would suck if it disappeared. Hopefully this new podcast will be the same thing. And I wonder what the guardian will do with football weekly.

Sucks for the Guardian, but this should be pretty good. I expect it to be pretty much the same, but the possibility of pods focused on other countries sounds great.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Sucks for the Guardian, but this should be pretty good. I expect it to be pretty much the same, but the possibility of pods focused on other countries sounds great.

It depends on whether the Guardian lets their staff writers go on this new podcast. Otherwise, no Barry Glendenning. I also like most of the Guardian's writers, so that could be a loss.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm less than a week away from attending my first REAL soccer game. Going to the GERMAN SUPER CUP in Dortmund. Ma'wife was able to procure tickets through the Munich fan club, so I guess I owe them my allegiance? I'm really excited for the game and we'll be spending most of the afternoon in/around the stadium and beer gardens, so I should be able to have a coupla drinks and maybe even see a coupla things. Getting back to Koln after the game ends will be the fun part, could be our most exciting hobo date ever... 100km in a foreign country in the middle of the night!

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm less than a week away from attending my first REAL soccer game. Going to the GERMAN SUPER CUP in Dortmund. Ma'wife was able to procure tickets through the Munich fan club, so I guess I owe them my allegiance? I'm really excited for the game and we'll be spending most of the afternoon in/around the stadium and beer gardens, so I should be able to have a coupla drinks and maybe even see a coupla things. Getting back to Koln after the game ends will be the fun part, could be our most exciting hobo date ever... 100km in a foreign country in the middle of the night!

There are trains probably every 15 minutes between Dortmund and Koln. Will be the least exciting hobo date you've ever had.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
well the game ends at like 11:30pm and with the crowd it'll probably be hard to make it to the main train depot before midnight, so the trains are a little less frequent that time of night... but I do have faith in German mass transport and I'm hoping you are right! But,this sort of scenario is exactly how I ended up walking across San Diego at 3am (Main train line to the stadium was running, but the branch line we needed to get to our hotel shut down earlier in the night).

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It depends on whether the Guardian lets their staff writers go on this new podcast. Otherwise, no Barry Glendenning. I also like most of the Guardian's writers, so that could be a loss.

Damn, this is a great pod.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
well the game ends at like 11:30pm and with the crowd it'll probably be hard to make it to the main train depot before midnight, so the trains are a little less frequent that time of night... but I do have faith in German mass transport and I'm hoping you are right! But,this sort of scenario is exactly how I ended up walking across San Diego at 3am (Main train line to the stadium was running, but the branch line we needed to get to our hotel shut down earlier in the night).

Granted, it was at a World Cup, so it was slightly different, but I got from Kaiserslautern to Mannheim at about the same time of night as this no problem. As a 19 year old, travelling alone. This is the most populous region in Germany, and it's a fairly big game. You will have no problem.

P.S. I used to live in Bonn (which is like 20 miles from Koln). If you need suggestions on things to do, shoot me a PM.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Ajax out of CL again... +40m net spend this off-season and still just sitting on the money. Fuck Overmars. Until the idea is 'let's win' vs. 'let's build for future' they have zero chance to qualify for CL unless it's direct.

Tribute to Appie was pretty amazing at least.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Hope it's better than Salzburg's transit. I had to wait drunk in an empty parking lot in the middle of fucking nowhere from 1-3 AM to catch my bus because the last subway from downtown to the stop was at midnight. It was a blast though :laughing::

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
qRoTzg.png

JNfZOp.png

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

It was such an awesome game, Finished with a Bayern Munich comeback goal late in the game to send it to penalties, which Bayern won. We were sitting in the Bayern visitor stands, so the experience of seeming them win was pretty great. Saw Pulisic score too, which was cool.... pretty much made the whole thing happen hisself with a nice steal off a sloppy pass and then was calm about finishing. My boy Obamayang had a cool goal as well. I will say the Germans near me were definitely confused when I switched team scarves whenever a new team took the lead, which happened often in this game, especially during the penalty shoot out.

As a preseason game, and a game that ended later than planned, the Dortmund train folks really dicked the dog and it actually did end up becoming a hobo date. Apparently they normally run an almost constant string of trains from the Stadium train station back to the normal Dortmund station. Well, this night no trains showed up! We waited 45 minutes for the first one and it was only 2 cars for about 30k people. There was a big rush for the doors and we didn't even try for that one because we were about 100 yards from where it stopped (we were at the platform station where it was supposed to stop, but it pulled up short). About another 15 minutes later a 4 car train showed up and with amazing luck it stopped with the doors of a car only about 10 feet from us. I used myself as a battering ram and told Thea to hold my backpack and I showed the Germans a thing or two about "active queuing" which is there uncivilized fucking system for "lines." I almost witnessed my first crushing victim as some trog tried to take his 4 year old into the fray. Anyway, we made it onto the train and booked it down toward the middle of the car where there was still room. I knew the tidal wave of humanity was coming, so I pushed Thea past me and up onto an empty seat (no sitting on this train). Then the crush hit me and I braced against the side of the seat and was glad to have tucked the program into the back of my pants, as it ended up protecting my kidneys from many elbows! Eventually the train cars jammed WAY too full and Germans started screaming at the idiots who were still trying to push in. There was about 10 minutes of fighting at the door, which obviously couldn't close because people were still trying to enter. Finally some rail cops showed up and started wrecking the guys at the door. It was pandemonium!

So we got to the main train station about 15 minutes late to catch the last regional (cheap) train of the night, so we had to go buy an expensive ticket on an ICE international train for 2AM. Fortunately they sell beer at the train station, so I went and bought a bag of 8 beers (why they don't sell 6 packs anywhere but groceries I'll never understand). We got back to the hotel in Koln about 3:30 am!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Hope it's better than Salzburg's transit. I had to wait drunk in an empty parking lot in the middle of fucking nowhere from 1-3 AM to catch my bus because the last subway from downtown to the stop was at midnight. It was a blast though :laughing::

Are you the time child?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I was just amaze you predicted the ending of my night so accurately. I like to ask these days, in case you might no how to reset the sim.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I wonder if that famed German efficiency is just a lie they made up to sound more appealing

They offered to give us half our money back on the ICE train that flat broke down, but then they made the process so obtuse that I just gave up. They literally wanted me to open a bank account in Germany in order to get my refund!

doh

Barca looked awful... gift goal and still lost 3-1 at home to Real. Wonder how much they're going to hand BVB or Monaco. But looks like they need way more than just a Neymar replacement.

Snorky's Shame

Well Paulinho is coming...

There is a vote of no confidence on the current board next month. They have a lot of pressure to spend the Neymar money this window.

The midfield is in need of major repair though. Also Suarez hasn't played well for about six months now but seems to escape criticism somehow.

NML

Don't worry, Coutinho is on his way to end promising possessions by shooting low percentage shots from 35 yards out! Surely the key to turning things around

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Damn, Celtic hammering Astana. Did not see that one coming at all. I figured Celtic would be in a dogfight to get through. Although I guess they could still blow it in the next game.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That Asensio goal was something else, man.

Fifa producers if ur reading this, you don't need a 20 yard dead sprint to hit a ball with dip or pace in open play

Snorky's Shame

Barcelona went from MSN to just M. Suarez out for a month. Strange that the Uruguayan Federation announced this and not Barcelona.

Fuck me. Paco Alcacer starting should turn out very well...

#BartomeuDimiteYa

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, Barcelona is in for a rough season or couple of seasons. Plus, Messi is already 30. He has at best, what, 4 years of dominance left? They are really going to be screwed if he suddenly tails off.

Snorky's Shame

To be honest, Messi is past his prime. Still an excellent player and maybe still the best in the world but to suggest that he's still in his prime is wrong.

NML

I'd consider Messi not in his prime still dominant

Turner wins the broadcast rights for UEFA stuff starting next year. Looks like they'll do broadcasts on TNT/TBS but will also do a standalone streaming service which will feature every game.

doh

Suarez got hurt fairly early in that match and kept playing... totally insane they kept him in the whole match with zero hope of winning.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'd consider Messi not in his prime still dominant

Turner wins the broadcast rights for UEFA stuff starting next year. Looks like they'll do broadcasts on TNT/TBS but will also do a standalone streaming service which will feature every game.

Every game not already on TV, as I understand it.

Terrible model. It's not going to work, either. Unless they hide all of the English teams on the streaming service, very few people will to pay extra to see non-English teams. Let's pay a ton of money for these rights but then ensure nobody will watch it! Ugh.

Snorky's Shame

Suarez got hurt fairly early in that match and kept playing... totally insane they kept him in the whole match with zero hope of winning.

Totally insane to play the lineup they did with the league starting on Sunday. Would have played Barcelona B clasico be damned.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
FS1 currently airs multiple windows during the group stages especially during the Europa League. You can always catch a game in Scandinavia or Who-Gives-A-Crap-Astan at noon or 1 pm eastern.

Snorky's Shame

They only air multiple windows when there's an extra game which was not every match day.

Starting next year, every match day will have 2 1 pm ET games and 6 3 pm ET games.

That said if you want to watch the Europa League, you're screwed.

doh

Every game not already on TV, as I understand it.

Terrible model. It's not going to work, either. Unless they hide all of the English teams on the streaming service, very few people will to pay extra to see non-English teams. Let's pay a ton of money for these rights but then ensure nobody will watch it! Ugh.
I mean it's the same exact model as FOX does currently.

They'll put English teams in EL on TV and everyone else on the stream. Real/FCB/PL teams on TNT/TBS for CL, the rest on streaming service.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I mean it's the same exact model as FOX does currently.

They'll put English teams in EL on TV and everyone else on the stream. Real/FCB/PL teams on TNT/TBS for CL, the rest on streaming service.

Except you get the stream for free if you have the cable subscription. Unless I'm wrong.

doh

Except you get the stream for free if you have the cable subscription. Unless I'm wrong.
No you don't. If you want to watch matches that aren't on TV, you pay $20/month to watch that plus their RedZone-type channel.

doh

For the 3 Ajax fans on this board... watched that match on a legal stream. Absolute, total shit. Keizer sucks and Bosz leaving is the biggest loss for Ajax in years.

Sanchez situation is absolutely pathetic too. I would be great selling him for 45m Euro in a second if we had someone competent running the team. But 10m of that will go to 16-year olds in Scandanavia and the rest in the bank to sit with the rest of the 180m Euro or whatever they're up to.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
For the 3 Ajax fans on this board... watched that match on a legal stream. Absolute, total shit. Keizer sucks and Bosz leaving is the biggest loss for Ajax in years.

Sanchez situation is absolutely pathetic too. I would be great selling him for 45m Euro in a second if we had someone competent running the team. But 10m of that will go to 16-year olds in Scandanavia and the rest in the bank to sit with the rest of the 180m Euro or whatever they're up to.

giphy.gif