• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

blaney wins duel 1.

they just had a lady announce the drivers to start the engines for the 2nd duel and the drivers were just getting in their cars, lol

Bdub

Are we going to live to see the day when Indycar is the top dog in the United States? Would be crazy to see, but NASCAR just keeps losing viewers while Indycar keeps growing.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Are we going to live to see the day when Indycar is the top dog in the United States? Would be crazy to see, but NASCAR just keeps losing viewers while Indycar keeps growing.

Will the Indy 500 have a full field this year? Will Bump Day actually mean something?

Bdub

Getting closer to a full field. I believe Danica has committed as well as a couple of drivers from IMSA have committed plus all the full time drivers. Let's be realistic Bump Day is never going to matter again. Motor sports in this country is extremely niche and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

goblue96

Getting closer to a full field. I believe Danica has committed as well as a couple of drivers from IMSA have committed plus all the full time drivers. Let's be realistic Bump Day is never going to matter again. Motor sports in this country is extremely niche and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Adding up the number of Race 6 (Indy 500) entries, I get 34 cars. Of course, it's February and it will change but as of right now somebody is going home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_IndyCar_Series#Entries

Bdub

Adding up the number of Race 6 (Indy 500) entries, I get 34 cars. Of course, it's February and it will change but as of right now somebody is going home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_IndyCar_Series#Entries
True, but I will be surprised if someone like Pipa Mann ends up racing it. I think the really positive sign is we have new teams this year and existing teams have added more drivers. That is huge for the growth of the series to have teams outside of the normal Indycar teams that have been around for decades.

goblue96

They are definitely adding teams compared to NASCAR which is doing everything it can to protect the Old Man's Ownership Club.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni

Because it's prohibitively expensive. Gone are the days where someone could just show up and run. You need millions upon millions of dollars before you can even think about showing up at the track.

The 5 inch thick rulebook doesn't help. Racing has evolved from a "run what you brung" affair where you could innovate your way to the front, to a spec series shitshow where 2 or 3 teams run the show and everyone else can fuck off.

Bdub

It is definitely expensive, but racing has always been crazy expensive. As a driver, if you don't have money you won't even get a chance. It's one of those sports were the greatest racers in the world sit on their couch having never gotten a shot. Until there is some type of legitimate feeder system that doesn't require insane amounts of money from the drivers, racing in this country will just continue to fade away. It's crazy to think there has ever only been 1 American born Formula One champion and an American hasn't won Le Mans in 22 years.

Wolfman21

what nascar used to be is what late models are today. "Average"(i mean...they still got money) joes building cars and bringing them to the track on small haulers and running for chump change. Sadly, even that is getting to be a bit too expensive as you have teams like KBM and JRM building and basically dominating every race they enter because they are able to put more money/ability behind the cars.

Wolfman21

not even half the race is over and over half the field is out of the race....lol. I won't be tuning into another plate race this season.

Wolfman21

finally got around to catching up on how the race ended.

So austin dillon has now lucked or wrecked himself into winning the Coke 600 and Daytona 500. lol

Very happy for Bubba Wallace. I want to see him do well. NASCAR needs him to do well. Opens a whole nother dimension for them. There will be resistence from the backwoods type folks...but hes a good dude and I want him to do well. I remember racing against him on iRacing when he would post open race rooms for people to just jump into. Dale Jr. said tonight on twitter that he thinks nascar has been rough the past few years...but he thinks they're getting ready to take off again. I wouldn't go that far, but I do think the personalities in the young guys could reach a wide range of people.

Denny Hamlin continues to prove himself a complete and total buffoon. First his comment earlier in speedweeks saying 70% of drivers take adderall. Now hes pushing bubba into the wall for what exact reason? I'm sure his comment after the race was, "You can look back at the 10,000 races i've ran...i'm not someone that does stuff like this".

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Dale Jr just bought a bunch of my Earnhardt #2 shirts

s-l500.jpg

Bdub

Bubba seems like a decent guy and I hope he does well. All the old guys do nothing more than bug me anymore and they hurt NASCAR in my opinion. Glad to see Danica wreck out in her final race. Will be interesting to see if she does well at Indy and can use that to get a ride in Indycar. She was always much better in open wheel cars.

goblue96

Bubba seems like a decent guy and I hope he does well. All the old guys do nothing more than bug me anymore and they hurt NASCAR in my opinion. Glad to see Danica wreck out in her final race. Will be interesting to see if she does well at Indy and can use that to get a ride in Indycar. She was always much better in open wheel cars.

IMSA (or whatever the fuck it is called now) perhaps?

Wolfman21

in the most expected tweet ever...the Migos took to twitter to congratulate Austin Dillon and Bubba Wallace on their daytona 500 finishes...

Bdub

Sounds like Danica may not have a ride after all. Apparently nobody wants to deal with the distraction of having her. Schmidt even came out and said he wouldn't consider it as she brings to much of a distraction to the team.

Bdub

I only want her to race at Indy, just to see how bad she would do. She wasn't that terrible back in the day, but I would say the caliber of driver is way higher now than it was then.

Wolfman21

damn...what did the fords do this offseason to become so dominant?? So far they remind me of the toyotas of last season. Maybe Brad Keselowski's bitching last season paid off and nascar gave them a lil something extra...

Good to see Chase qualify better for Vegas. He took a Top 20 car and got a top 10 in atlanta. Hopefully hes a little better in Vegas. Doesn't seem anyone in the chevy camp really has a handle on the corvette yet

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Why do they keep talking about "the new Camaro" as if it's taking the chevy teams time to figure it out? I thought all the cars were the exact same except for the decals? Did they get rid of the car of tomorrow shit?

Wolfman21

Why do they keep talking about "the new Camaro" as if it's taking the chevy teams time to figure it out? I thought all the cars were the exact same except for the decals? Did they get rid of the car of tomorrow shit?

The nose of the car is alot different between manufacturers...and honestly, thats all it takes now days.

The bigger thing for me is how ford all the sudden has become the dominant manufacturer when they were slow as piss last season. These things ebb and flow. I'm sure chevy will have another season coming up where they're untouchable like toyota was last season and ford seems to be this season.

Wolfman21

i did see it noted where the back right side of kevin harvick's rear window basically caves in under speed at las vegas. he passed tech so i'm sure you'll start seeing that from alot of other cars here real soon. The "flared fenders" of 2018

Bdub

Got to say this is awesome. I have met Rossi, Power, and Rahal and they seemed like great down to earth guys. Seems like NASCAR drivers are pretty cool as well.

gilstein21

i did see it noted where the back right side of kevin harvick's rear window basically caves in under speed at las vegas. he passed tech so i'm sure you'll start seeing that from alot of other cars here real soon. The "flared fenders" of 2018
Penalized for it

Wolfman21

Penalized for it

Yep. Encumbered. He already has the atlanta win so whats it matter though?

I wish they would just do away with the penalties and let these guys figure these cars out and run trick setups if they want. Not like small teams are getting into nascar today anyways

Bdub

Indycar race in St Petes featured 380 passes yesterday. I guess the new low downforce cars did the trick.

Iron

Woah. Lowe's is not returning to sponsor Jimmie Johnson next year. The only season-long partnership isn't cutting back, they are going away overall. Love or hate him, it'll be weird to not see a Lowes #48 next year.