• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
ESPN's broadcast schedule for the Australian GP

Rolex Australian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, March 22, 9:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, March 23, 1:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Friday, March 23, 10:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, March 24, 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, March 25, 1:00 AM - ESPN2

Bdub

NBC is going to have all the Indycar races next year. So good to finally get rid of ABC and their awful coverage.

goblue96

RIP Indianapolis 500 on ABC.

394Qm3p.gif

More importantly, RIP Classic Indy 500 marathon on ESPN Classic. Might have to DVR some of those this year.

Bdub

ESPN's coverage F1 was amateur hour. I am afraid I am going to have to pay for the streams or stop watching entirely.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
It’s crazy how many of the old time owners would win a championship or something, and then be completely out of racing a year or two later. Raymond Beadle wins the title in 1989 with Rusty, and by 1991 Rusty is driving for Roger Penske. Then it takes Penske 20 years to win a Cup title, even with all his $$$

goblue96

It’s crazy how many of the old time owners would win a championship or something, and then be completely out of racing a year or two later. Raymond Beadle wins the title in 1989 with Rusty, and by 1991 Rusty is driving for Roger Penske. Then it takes Penske 20 years to win a Cup title, even with all his $$$

Beadle, I believe, ran the last quarter of the 1989 season broke and raced on credit from suppliers.

Wolfman21

the best part of kyle busch winning is watching his wife attention whore herself into every photo opportunity possible.

Wolfman21

lol, no lie, 5 of the 7 tweets that Nascar has about kyle/the win have his wife either in them or its only about his wife.

Bdub

I can't believe I am saying this, but ESPN did a great job with the F1 coverage this week. Aired the whole thing with no commercials. Was a great race as well, featured a tire changer getting ran over, Ferrari winning and Lewis in vintage cry baby mode.

gilstein21

I can't believe I am saying this, but ESPN did a great job with the F1 coverage this week. Aired the whole thing with no commercials. Was a great race as well, featured a tire changer getting ran over, Ferrari winning and Lewis in vintage cry baby mode.
I only had it on in the background but I did like some of the onscreen graphics too

Bdub

I didn’t bother watching after the Australian shitshow. Fuck it.
It was great though. Hamilton didn't start on poll so drove like shit and whined the whole time. Vettel drove 40 laps on the soft tires and held off Botas at the end. Awesome drive by Vettel and Formula 1 is actually fun to watch. The Mercs don't have anything on Ferrari this year and it's showing. Hamilton isn't anything special anymore without the top car.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
None of these guys are special. Vettel hasn't done shit since Red Bull was top dog. The last time someone won with an inferior car was probably Kimi in 2007 or Alonso in 2005. And they were still the 2nd best cars on the grid.

Bdub

I don't know what happened to Formula 1, but the races have been great this year. Riccardo goes from 5th to first in 20 laps and Verstapin takes out Vettel in an absolute shit pass. Best racing around so far.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
It was all down to that safety car. It came out after the top 4 or so (read: Mercedes and Ferrari) had passed the entrance to pit road. Res Bull cars jumped onto pit road and were the first cars with fresh tires.

Throw in Max bein Max (crazy outside pass attempt, then running off the road; taking out Vettel).

Iron

Wow: Matt Kenseth will return to drive Roush Fenway Racing’s No. 6 car in select NASCAR Cup Series races this season.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Wonder how big of an issue Bayne's MS is.

Also, damn I'm old. Kenseth's 45? Dude can still drive and win. I wonder if anyone will ever beat Harry Gant's record for oldest winning driver.

goblue96

Common early signs of multiple sclerosis (MS) include:
  • vision problems.
  • tingling and numbness.
  • pains and spasms.
  • weakness or fatigue.
    [*]balance problems or dizziness.
  • bladder issues.
  • sexual dysfunction.
  • cognitive problems.
I can see the bolded being an issue for a race car driver.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
In F1 rumors, sources say Ricciardo has signed with Ferrari for 2019. Ricciardo's contract with Red Bull is up at the end of this year, as is Kimi's contract with Ferrari. It'll be fun to see him trounce Vettel yet again.

I imagine Red Bull would move Pierre Gasly (or Sainz) into Ricciardo's old ride, and Kimi would need to find a ride or be out altogether.

Bdub

In F1 rumors, sources say Ricciardo has signed with Ferrari for 2019. Ricciardo's contract with Red Bull is up at the end of this year, as is Kimi's contract with Ferrari. It'll be fun to see him trounce Vettel yet again.

I imagine Red Bull would move Pierre Gasly (or Sainz) into Ricciardo's old ride, and Kimi would need to find a ride or be out altogether.
Will be interesting how Ferrari handles having 2 top drivers. Typically Ferrari chooses a top driver and the other ones job is to help him win so I'm surprised Riccardo would put himself in that kind of situation.
I hope Kimi will finally retire and go hang out on a beach or something.

Bdub

It’s kind of funny how F1 guys have more personality than Nascar guys now. When did that happen?
Seems like everyones favorite F1 drivers are the ones that have personalities. I mean Kimi and Alonso haven't won much of anything in years and they still have a huge following, because they don't act like robots out there. Seems like F1 used to be full of big attitude and personality like Senna and Probst. It would be so much more popular if they could get guys like that back again.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Another sucky NASCAR plate finish. Nobody can pass anybody. Ho hum. Fucking F1 has more passing than this.

Bdub

Poor Botas and Ferrari fucks up again. Vettel has got to stop caring only about wins and start racing for the championship. Hamilton is going to win it solely because he is playing the long game.

Also can't believe Red Bull took each other out. Max has got to get his shit together and fast.

goblue96

Max is a "dart with no feathers." I forget which driver came up with that phrase but it's very applicable to Max.

Bdub

Max is a "dart with no feathers." I forget which driver came up with that phrase but it's very applicable to Max.
Yeah, he just needs to chill. He was blocking his own team mate for the whole race and then wrecks him. I get he is super young and sometimes gets a little too bold, but it seems to be getting worse every race. I think he is trying to be Senna, but F1 isn't like it was back then. You can't drive like that anymore and be successful. If he does it again, I bet they move him back to the 2nd team.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Nah, he’s the face of Red Bull Racing now, and probably a big part of why Ricciardo won’t be back. He makes Vettel look like Rubens Barrichello.