• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 MLB Thread

CJ_24

I just learned that the Padres have an outfielder named Hunter Renfroe; and San Diego's Hunter Renfroe is not former Clemson wide receiver Hunter Renfrow.

Wolfman21

how i wish they'd go back to 10 outs and you're done. So much more drama than swing as much as you can in 4 minutes.

Wolfman21

It’s crazy Tatis isn’t an All Star

Hes super good. NL SS is deeeep and dejong got selected as the Cardinals only participant. I wish theyd do away with that rule. I understand they want fans of every team to be able to tune in with a rooting interest...but give me the best players for the all-star team.

Tatis has a good shot at being the NL starter for the forseeable future though.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yeah, gotta say I like that rule. It makes a difference in ur team's lean years, loved the lone Nats representatives

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I wonder how Peter hid his other two legs and tail while I went to school with him, looked like regular guy to me

bruin

best part of the ASG as I get older is when they introduce the teams.

Mic’ing tje players was cool for like a inning or two then it just gets lame

Wolfman21

best part of the ASG as I get older is when they introduce the teams.

Mic’ing tje players was cool for like a inning or two then it just gets lame

It depends on the player, imo. A guy like freddie freeman is 10x more interesting than mic'ing the personalities of yelich and bellinger. I know why they micd those two...but it wasnt exactly riveting tv

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I think the last we ever saw of those is when that one kick returner like blew out his ACL in the Pro Bowl fastest man competition or something

Wolfman21

Robot Umpires Have Arrived

The umpires have the ability to override the computer, which considers a pitch a strike when the ball bounces and then crosses the zone. TrackMan also does not evaluate check swings

Former big leaguer Kirk Nieuwenhuis doesn't like the idea of giving umps veto power.
"If the umpire still has discretion, it defeats the purpose," said Nieuwenhuis

Nieuwenhuis sounds like an idiot

CJ_24

If the human is ultimately still making the calls, then what is the point of the robot? If they agree, it's two of the same; when they disagree, it's still the human making the call.

I am against robot umpires. It's a game, there's some level of ambiguity in the rules and how they apply at the margins. Therefore there is always some level of discretion.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Humanity won’t be making the calls for long!

I think best case these is that robot umpires develop into rogue servitors focused on protecting and serving organics, on and off the baseball field. If they become determined to exterminate or assimilate organic life, we’re really screwed — best case scenario is the robot umpires eradicate us as an organic species but our ideas/experiences/strike zones are immortalized as part of the new machine umpire consciousness.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
terminator_endoskeleton_1020.0.jpg

Wolfman21

If the human is ultimately still making the calls, then what is the point of the robot? If they agree, it's two of the same; when they disagree, it's still the human making the call.

I am against robot umpires. It's a game, there's some level of ambiguity in the rules and how they apply at the margins. Therefore there is always some level of discretion.

Because the system is still greatly flawed. If you want to go directly by the robot and have no human...imagine a game ending situation with runners on where a ball bounces up there and the computer calls it a strike for strike 3. Welp, players wanted no human interference...so game over. Better luck next time.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Because the system is still greatly flawed. If you want to go directly by the robot and have no human...imagine a game ending situation with runners on where a ball bounces up there and the computer calls it a strike for strike 3. Welp, players wanted no human interference...so game over. Better luck next time.
This is a terrible argument

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator

When has this ever happened ever? Wot in tarnation?

CJ_24

This post is not responsive to my argument. My argument is twofold: one, the robot serves no purpose because the human makes the call anyway. Two, there will always be discretion when making calls because there is ambiguity at the margins in how the rules apply, which cannot be perfected by computer programming.

But I also umpire, so I don't want no stinking robot takin' mah jerb!

Wolfman21

This post is not responsive to my argument. My argument is twofold: one, the robot serves no purpose because the human makes the call anyway. Two, there will always be discretion when making calls because there is ambiguity at the margins in how the rules apply, which cannot be perfected by computer programming.

But I also umpire, so I don't want no stinking robot takin' mah jerb!

Yeah, my post was 2 fold.

1st fold - the robot ump is still greatly flawed, as i wrote. Therefore, you need a human ump behind the plate to call a pitch a ball if the robot calls it a strike but its so far away from the zone its ridiculous. As mentioned in the article, the robot would call a pitch that hit the dirt and bounced to the catcher a strike. That was the reasoning behind my hypothetical situation that pavel so poorly responded to.

2nd fold(for you non circumcised heathens) - niuewenheiss had an issue with an ump being behind the plate at all with a robot ump. Hes an idiot because the system is still flawed. Also, who calls out or safe on a play at the plate without an actual on field ump? Again...hes a dumb dumb

Wolfman21

That teams would bounce the ball for strikes.

I guess you didnt read the article, that stated the robot ump would call a pitch that bounced to the catcher a strike? At no point did i say teams would do it on purpose...just that it could end a game when it shouldnt.

Man....you guys are much brighter than you are showing on this page. Do better

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I guess you didnt read the article, that stated the robot ump would call a pitch that bounced to the catcher a strike? At no point did i say teams would do it on purpose...just that it could end a game when it shouldnt.

Man....you guys are much brighter than you are showing on this page. Do better
It wouldn’t end a game :laughing: