• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 Off-Season Thread

coogrfan

AAC, ESPN Agree To 12-Year Media-Rights Deal Worth $1B
By Michael Smith and John Ourand
March 19, 2019
The American Athletic Conference will get $1B for its media rights from ESPN over 12 years, according to sources. The average of $83.3M per year is about four times what the AAC was making in its previous rights agreement with the net, which paid the league just over $20M annually. The new agreement begins in '20-21 and runs through the '31-32 academic year.

I know this is small potatoes by P5 standards, but this is huge news for us. :thumbsup:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
AAC, ESPN Agree To 12-Year Media-Rights Deal Worth $1B
By Michael Smith and John Ourand
March 19, 2019
The American Athletic Conference will get $1B for its media rights from ESPN over 12 years, according to sources. The average of $83.3M per year is about four times what the AAC was making in its previous rights agreement with the net, which paid the league just over $20M annually. The new agreement begins in '20-21 and runs through the '31-32 academic year.

I know this is small potatoes by P5 standards, but this is huge news for us. :thumbsup:
Congrats. I still miss playing some of the old Big East teams. At least Rutgers gets BC and Cuse this season.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Bring back the Big East

images

coogrfan

Another offseason, another tweek to the targeting rules.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-rules-ahead-of-2019-college-football-season/

"Starting in 2019, the panel has approved an adjustment that removes away some of the gray area that gives targeting a more all-or-nothing feel: "Instant replay officials will be directed to examine all aspects of the play and confirm the targeting foul when all elements of targeting are present. If any element of targeting cannot be confirmed, the replay official will overturn the targeting foul. There will not be an option for letting the call on the field "stand" during a targeting review -- it must either be confirmed or overturned. Games using the halftime video review procedure will continue to use the current process."
The goal of the targeting penalty is to change the way players tackle/hit one another for safety reasons. Empirically, that part seems to be working. However, it's not supposed to a punishment for a bang-bang play, resulting in an ejection because someone looking at replay can't say for sure it isn't targeting.

That being said, the panel is cracking down harder on repeat offenders -- probably because, theoretically, it'll be harder to eject a player for targeting. Players who commit three targeting fouls in the same season will receive a one-game suspension."

Other changes: starting with the 5th OT period, teams will alternate running 2 pt conversions until someone wins; 15 yd personal foul for forcible contact on blindside blocks; no more two man wedge on kickoffs.

Wooly

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-rules-ahead-of-2019-college-football-season/

"Starting in 2019, the panel has approved an adjustment that removes away some of the gray area that gives targeting a more all-or-nothing feel: "Instant replay officials will be directed to examine all aspects of the play and confirm the targeting foul when all elements of targeting are present. If any element of targeting cannot be confirmed, the replay official will overturn the targeting foul. There will not be an option for letting the call on the field "stand" during a targeting review -- it must either be confirmed or overturned. Games using the halftime video review procedure will continue to use the current process."
The goal of the targeting penalty is to change the way players tackle/hit one another for safety reasons. Empirically, that part seems to be working. However, it's not supposed to a punishment for a bang-bang play, resulting in an ejection because someone looking at replay can't say for sure it isn't targeting.

That being said, the panel is cracking down harder on repeat offenders -- probably because, theoretically, it'll be harder to eject a player for targeting. Players who commit three targeting fouls in the same season will receive a one-game suspension."

Other changes: starting with the 5th OT period, teams will alternate running 2 pt conversions until someone wins; 15 yd personal foul for forcible contact on blindside blocks; no more two man wedge on kickoffs.

I don't like the rule anyway, but if you are going to do it, I like the idea of reviews looking to excuse "bang-bang-plays", and I think it's wise to take away the "stands" call. If it's clear you call it, if it's not, error on excusing the hit.

You can't significantly change the way players tackle and hit without changing the game so much it's not really football. If you need to do away with the sport, than so be it, but the head can't easily be avoided and still play football. That is a fools errand. Just have a rule that any helmet to helmet contact is reviewed, and if it's obvious the player could have avoided the contact but didn't, call it "unnecessary contact to the helmet" and eject. Some contact is too hard hard to avoid and will have to be excused as a reality of the sport.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The OT rule change is stupid, but there's been like a half dozen games since the OT rules started that went to 5 OTs. It's not really going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Renegade

Charge on!

I doubt they'll get it right in practice, but at least they're trying. There's been way too many ejections from bang bang plays where the defender did nothing wrong.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
That quote is from a few years ago unless he said literally the same thing again, which is certainly possible with that goober

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Bring back the Big East

No idea how I missed this thread but I'm glad I discovered it today. BIG LEAST da best LEAST.

NORMA is working on her agility, acceleration, and cutting this offseason. She's also showing tenacity and will pop right back up after a tumble.

She's much quicker than last spring, lol

Ur yard looks like it's in suburban hell. Kill urself immediately.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
No idea how I missed this thread but I'm glad I discovered it today. BIG LEAST da best LEAST.

Ur yard looks like it's in suburban hell. Kill urself immediately.

When you follow the BTT rule of thumb of only spending 10% of your gross income on housing, you get a tri-level home built in 1983 surrounded by other split level homes of various designations, also built in 1983. A lot of those homes are painted beige or pink. On the plus side, my commute is 3 minutes if I hit the lights just right!

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
When you follow the BTT rule of thumb of only spending 10% of your gross income on housing, you get a tri-level home built in 1983 surrounded by other split level homes of various designations, also built in 1983. A lot of those homes are painted beige or pink. On the plus side, my commute is 3 minutes if I hit the lights just right!

Sounds like ur life sux donkey dick.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

My God, it even has a watermark!

Lightningwar

Administrator
With two guys in the transfer portal and a few more set to not qualify. Where does 2019 Gata class truly land in the rankings?

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
@adchester What the fuck is going with St. Thomas?
Basically got too good for their league and some schools that were tired of getting 60-80 point beatdowns in football every year decided they wanted to kick them out.

Long answer is that St. Thomas is growing a lot faster than the rest of the schools (trending towards research university vs liberal arts college like the others) and has almost 4x the enrollment. On top of that, they spend muchhhh more money on their athletic department. A combo of these items makes it almost impossible for the other schools to keep up in recruiting or results across all sports. St. Thomas has won the “all sports” trophy something like 13 years in a row.

I think the best solution for St. Thomas is move up to DII, as their athletic department spends and runs at that level already, but they’ll probably just join the Wisconsin DIII conference. They like to be the big fish in the small pond, and I don’t think they’d like the competition with the bigger MN public schools like Duluth and Mankato.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Fun fact, Glen Caruso was my RB coach at NDSU 20 years ago.

Other fun fact. I didnt realize he is only 3 years older than me back then lol