• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 Womens World Cup

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Philips-Lighting_Parc_Olympique_Lyonnais_stadium.jpg

Starts tomorrow at 3PM, with the hosts France taking on South Korea. The Tournament opens in Paris, and the Semis and Final will be played at Lyon, home of arguably the most successful club in Women's Soccer, Olympique Lyon.

The USA are defending champs and probably favorites, but Germany, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan, and England all have a fair shot. There are 6 groups, so the top 2 and the 4 best 3rd place finishers from each group will advance. Here are the groups:

Group A:
France
South Korea
Norway
Nigeria

Group B:
Germany
Spain
China
South Africa

Group C:
Italy
Brazil
Australia
Jamaica

Group D:
England
Scotland
Argentina
Japan

Group E:
Netherlands
Canada
New Zealand
Cameroon

Group F:
USA
Sweden
Chile
Thailand

Snorky's Shame

The USWNT will lose and everyone here will act as shocked as if the basketball teams lost at the World Championships or Olympics not knowing the current climate of women’s soccer.

The USWNT are no better than a 50/50 proposition to win this thing. I think France wins this over Germany in the final.

NML

I’d put the US at like a 20% chance. Too much other quality at the top and with four rounds of knockout matches, it’s too unpredictable.

Snorky's Shame

I’d put the US at like a 20% chance. Too much other quality at the top and with four rounds of knockout matches, it’s too unpredictable.

Damn, I thought I was pessimistic. I have them at 33%.

My problem is that a lot fans tend to look at this like our basketball teams at major tournaments as in if they lose it’s an embarrassment. That’s simply not the case this time around with question marks at GK and defense, the depth of the squad and did they make the same mistake Italy, Spain and Germany did and put too much trust on players that won the tournament the first time around.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
US has a potential finals path of Germany-France-Japan with some combo of Norway, Brazil and Australia lurking in their half of the knockout draw as well. @NML is right on at 20% chance of winning.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I still have some scar tissue from that Olympics performance against Sweden. Even though she won the World Cup, I'm not sure Jill Ellis is a great coach. It always feels to me like we're not quite clicking.

We have so much freaking talent, though. Especially in attack. Going to be hard to cope with that, if it clicks.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
RSA total meltdown here. Yikes.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I'm always blown away at the space even at high levels of the women's game. It makes a random match where I'm neutral more entertaining than men's but it looks like they're playing 9v9.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Scotland kinda sucks.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
The finishing in these games is so bad. Almost as bad as our Men's team!

NML

Heard a stat that Formiga of Brazil has played in every women’s Olympics and seven (of eight) world cups :scared:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Damn, I thought I was pessimistic. I have them at 33%.

My problem is that a lot fans tend to look at this like our basketball teams at major tournaments as in if they lose it’s an embarrassment. That’s simply not the case this time around with question marks at GK and defense, the depth of the squad and did they make the same mistake Italy, Spain and Germany did and put too much trust on players that won the tournament the first time around.
Yeah the GK/CBs aren't great. I think the fact they basically use players on the full-time WNT contracts hurts them. They never try new players in the squad so you end up with the same players. Off the bench, other than Press there aren't any great attacking options. Maybe Lloyd but she is old.

I'm also wondering if the differences in quality of training between NWSL and some of the top European clubs is going to start showing.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I'm also wondering if the differences in quality of training between NWSL and some of the top European clubs is going to start showing.

I'll say yes. These European clubs (Lyon, Barcelona, Chelsea, Man City for example) are pouring money into their women's program. Over time, it should lead to better coaching, training, caliber of play, etc. Compare this to US players once they enter college playing just 20-25 matches per season. After they graduate, they enter a US Women's Pro League that is sub-standard with zero money and owners who just don't give a shit. This will catch up to the US at some point.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Sky Blue FC doesn't have the financial resources of Man City?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
This game might get ugly.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wait so USSF pays these women to stay in NWSL? Lol

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Chances our men's team scores 5 against...*checking notes*...uh, Guyana next week?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Can we willingly go down to 10 or 9 players?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Good thing we have the women to distract us from our upcoming group stage exit in the Gold Cup...

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That little rollback before that shot was awesome. That ball from Press would have bounced 10 yards off of Zardes' foot.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah our women's team is so much better technically its ridiculous. Obviously the talent disparity matters a ton, but it feels like I'm watching City playing Cardiff or something with the way they just put passes in the right places.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I was going to say this wouldn't happen in the men's tournament, but then I remembered Portugal-North Korea in 2010, Netherlands-Spain in 2014 :emo: and Russia-Saudi in 2018.