• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020-21 Club Soccer (UCL, EL, Libertadores, CCL & Domestic Leagues)

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Dear Nutopians,

Down goes Bayern! Down goes Bayern! Down goes Bayern! Down goes Bayern!

Signed,

The Hachiko! ALLEZ PARIS!!!!

bruin

Amazing how City can look scared shitless in the back come buckle up time in the UCL. Stones and Zinchenko my word...

Snorky's Shame

So the following 12 clubs will form the European Super League:

Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Tottenham
Internazionale
Juventus
Milan
Atletico
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Which one on these clubs is not like the other?

Of course this is announced before UEFA’s announcement tomorrow.

I’d like to see regional leagues given a chance before a full blown European Super League. How would a Scandinavian/Nordic League look? Or a Belgium/Netherlands league? Or Benfica, Porto and Sporting in La Liga? Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League? Not sure the police would like a Balkan League or a Cypriot/Greek/Turkish league but it would make sense sporting wise. Failing that, a European League with representation from all countries would be my second choice.

Last edited:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah, I'd definitely also prefer to see smaller nation/league consolidation first.

Snorky's Shame

More details:

15 founding members (despite voting against this, I still think Bayern, Dortmund and Paris still find a way to join)

Founding members get up to 350 million euros each

JP Morgan providing 6 billion euros in funding

UEFA want 50-60 billion euros in compensation (good luck with this)

5 teams will qualify with the 15 founding members. 2 groups of 10. Top three qualify in each group with 4 v 5 playing off for a quarter-final spot. I feel sorry for those 5 teams trying to match-up.

I’d imagine more shit will have hit the fan when I wake up tomorrow morning.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think there’s a near zero chance this happens in this format. Way too many games for the national FAs to be okay with. I don’t think UEFA would sanction it either. What’s in it for the other 50 UEFA countries? They’re permanently shut out of the best competition.

Snorky's Shame

I think there’s a near zero chance this happens in this format. Way too many games for the national FAs to be okay with. I don’t think UEFA would sanction it either. What’s in it for the other 50 UEFA countries? They’re permanently shut out of the best competition.

To be fair, you can make the argument that 20 countries are effectively shutout of the UCL now. Yes, in theory the Maltese or Andorran champion could qualify for the group stage but the deck is very much stacked against them.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Come on. It’s a little different shutting out Malta and Andorra vs. Russia and Portugal (or Holland, Turkey, etc.)

Snorky's Shame

Come on. It’s a little different shutting out Malta and Andorra vs. Russia and Portugal (or Holland, Turkey, etc.)

Have you seen the Turkish League lately? I think Valletta could win it.

All joking aside, any club from outside the big five leagues that happens to qualify for the ESL will probably win their domestic league for the next five years minimum because they will have such a financial advantage compared to the other clubs in the league. I mean a club like Olympiakos already has a near monopoly of the Greek League, if they qualify for the ESL, they probably won’t be stopped and I imagine interest in the league would drop.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm also enjoying how terrible this announcement was. They got scooped by the NY Times, and it looks like they were forced to go public with it because of that. The release came at about midnight in Europe. It's obvious which 3 clubs turned them down. Seemingly nobody has come out in favor of it. The name is terrible, too, Couldn't you use your billions to come up with something less generic than Super League? I guess it makes sense because of the 12 clubs involved, maybe 4 of them are well-run.

Snorky's Shame

Don’t forget they announced it before fans are being let back in the stadiums.

To show how bad of an idea this is, FIFA and UEFA are looking like the good guys here and let’s be honest, they’re not objecting for altruistic reasons.

Also Paris didn’t reject it for altruistic reasons either (Khelaifi is on the UEFA board and owns at lot of UCL rights). I can buy that reasoning for Bayern and Dortmund though.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

I think that was on purpose, though. Can't have fan boycotts if fans aren't allowed in the stadium.

I think the supporter groups taking down their signs inside the stadium is their protest but that doesn’t have much of an impact as fans boycotting or fans chanting/staying silent.

I think a lot fans in the back of their minds know this will probably work and just wonder how the sport will look in the next ten years.

Snorky's Shame

UEFA announces new format for club competitions to be introduced as of 2024/25 season

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/med...tOHYnhDJen6OJKAPSdlz657P-fQLi4OKkSK7uv9JoYe8I

This ain’t it either.

Just do one tournament with 256 teams across Europe. Knockout stages for first two rounds to 64 team group stage with 8 groups of 8. Top 4 in each group go to the knockout stage.

Obviously this is just brainstorming, but neither plan is great.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I really think this is just another way to hold UEFA/CL hostage to make sure more teams from the top leagues get in. Top 4 were 3+1 until the changes 5-6 years ago now it's just top 4 of 4. Next round I'm sure it'll be top 5 or whatever.

There are a few things I think leagues+UEFA could do to raise revenues or changes to prevent this

• They really should explore playing some CL on the weekends. The fact it is all midweek is stupid. Have exclusive CL windows Sat night/Sunday a few dates.
  • Make it matter that a league is Coefficient 1 v 4. Give Coeff 1 an extra team.
  • To the point above: why not at the end of league seasons do ENG 6 v ITA 5 or something two-legged ties to see who gets in CL. Way more exciting than some of the awful playoffs we get. Would make lots of money.
  • How about end of season Top 4 league winner tournament? Single knockout in the US/China/wherever for a shit load of money?
  • There are other things leagues could do to make more $$$: All-Star games is one.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Apparently Perez was on TV saying that young people aren't watching 90 minute games and they have to shorten them lol

Its fucking nonsense.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I really think this is just another way to hold UEFA/CL hostage to make sure more teams from the top leagues get in. Top 4 were 3+1 until the changes 5-6 years ago now it's just top 4 of 4. Next round I'm sure it'll be top 5 or whatever.

There are a few things I think leagues+UEFA could do to raise revenues or changes to prevent this

• They really should explore playing some CL on the weekends. The fact it is all midweek is stupid. Have exclusive CL windows Sat night/Sunday a few dates.
  • Make it matter that a league is Coefficient 1 v 4. Give Coeff 1 an extra team.
  • To the point above: why not at the end of league seasons do ENG 6 v ITA 5 or something two-legged ties to see who gets in CL. Way more exciting than some of the awful playoffs we get. Would make lots of money.
  • How about end of season Top 4 league winner tournament? Single knockout in the US/China/wherever for a shit load of money?
  • There are other things leagues could do to make more $$$: All-Star games is one.

This hits the nail on the head. A couple of teams, one of which is Arsenal are fully invested in the Super League because they are badly run and it's a free ride, but most, I imagine, are just using this as leverage for more money/more teams/more big games in the current formats, which no-one can blame them for (See later in post that this is is because idiots are paying huge money to enable them).

I fully expect there to be negotiations with UEFA and the FA until the big guns drop out one by one leaving the Super League as a competition played between Arsenal and Tottenham.

It really has been hilarious watching everybody's heads explode in the UK media over the last 24 hours. So much dumb fuckery taking this at face value and pretending that the problem just started.

Part of me hopes that brinkmanship pushes them into this league, as it is what the game deserves, and part of me doesn't give a shit anyway - it's a fucking entertainment product. Everyone is acting like their granny just got shot.

I pulled out of this shit circus a good few years ago now after being a season ticket holder for 25 years. It just wasn't the same anymore and way too expensive. I also probably follow cricket and F1 closer these days as they (particularly cricket) are just better products at this time. When covid is done, I can also get a ticket for the cricket and go with the kids for a day out without having to remortgage my house. The idea of getting upset only now that soccer has changed is retarded. Writing has been on the wall for years, but as I say, who cares anyway - if you have half a brain there's other things to watch. If everybody moved on, they would have to sort it all out to win people back, but it's these fucking numbskulls that are whinging about the super league that are the prime enablers of this shit in the first place.

Last edited:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
But anyway to ask Stan Kroenke and his ilk to stop wanting the huge wheelbarrows of cash that you keep bringing to him is just fucking retarded. This is all on the fans.

NML

to that point, if the FA threatens to kick those six clubs out of the football league system, the SL is sort of dead in the water, no?

you think kroenke is walking away from all that guaranteed tv money for some theoretical league that may or may not happen?

color me skeptical

Snorky's Shame

to that point, if the FA threatens to kick those six clubs out of the football league system, the SL is sort of dead in the water, no?

you think kroenke is walking away from all that guaranteed tv money for some theoretical league that may or may not happen?

color me skeptical

If the FA kicks out those teams, the value of the TV deal goes down significantly. Also the ESL would just move their games to the weekend against the domestic leagues.

I guess the local fans could stop this thing but these clubs are just such huge global brands now that for every one person that boycotts in London, Manchester, Milan or Madrid, there is one person in Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, New York City or Toronto to replace them.

Also the clubs have the power here, it will be FIFA and UEFA making concessions. I’d imagine The Super League ends up being much larger that 20 teams when it’s all said and done.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

This hits the nail on the head. A couple of teams, one of which is Arsenal are fully invested in the Super League because they are badly run and it's a free ride, but most, I imagine, are just using this as leverage for more money/more teams/more big games in the current formats, which no-one can blame them for (See later in post that this is is because idiots are paying huge money to enable them).

I fully expect there to be negotiations with UEFA and the FA until the big guns drop out one by one leaving the Super League as a competition played between Arsenal and Tottenham.

It really has been hilarious watching everybody's heads explode in the UK media over the last 24 hours. So much dumb fuckery taking this at face value and pretending that the problem just started.

Part of me hopes that brinkmanship pushes them into this league, as it is what the game deserves, and part of me doesn't give a shit anyway - it's a fucking entertainment product. Everyone is acting like their granny just got shot.

I pulled out of this shit circus a good few years ago now after being a season ticket holder for 25 years. It just wasn't the same anymore and way too expensive. I also probably follow cricket and F1 closer these days as they (particularly cricket) are just better products at this time. When covid is done, I can also get a ticket for the cricket and go with the kids for a day out without having to remortgage my house. The idea of getting upset only now that soccer has changed is retarded. Writing has been on the wall for years, but as I say, who cares anyway - if you have half a brain there's other things to watch. If everybody moved on, they would have to sort it all out to win people back, but it's these fucking numbskulls that are whinging about the super league that are the prime enablers of this shit in the first place.

Yeah some of the hand-wringing as gotten out of hand.

Some of the reactions I got a laugh out of:

Small clubs can no longer achieve their dream of competing which the big boys.

That dream has been dead for years, basically you are hoping for a lottery ticket/sugar daddy now. Even if you achieve it, is it worth ending up like Blackpool, Bolton, Parma, Deportivo, Malaga, Otelul Galati, etc... where you end up bankrupt and/or languishing in the lower divisions.

I’m never watching my club again.

90-95% of the people who say this will be watching their club within a year. Fans want to see the best play the best.

FIFA/UEFA/FA care about preserving the structure of the game in Europe.

BULLSHIT! They only care because they are about to lose a lot of power and money. It’s telling that UEFA is making a much bigger deal out of this than they are about the racism in the game.

Paris and Bayern are the good guys for not joining this league.

Paris is joining this league once the World Cup in Qatar is over, no way they can stay in Ligue Une once the collapse of the TV deal happened. As for Bayern, they’ve been central to a few Super League proposals before, also they’ve threatened to move to Serie A as well. Sure you can point to 50+1 but Bayern isn’t as married to the Bundesliga as many people think.

NML

If the FA kicks out those teams, the value of the TV deal goes down significantly. Also the ESL would just move their games to the weekend against the domestic leagues.

I guess the local fans could stop this thing but these clubs are just such huge global brands now that for every one person that boycotts in London, Manchester, Milan or Madrid, there is one person in Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, New York City or Toronto to replace them.

Also the clubs have the power here, it will be FIFA and UEFA making concessions. I’d imagine The Super League ends up being much larger that 20 teams when it’s all said and done.

tv deals can be for 10+ years at a time. the money might slowly trickle down but it'll be a while before nbc, for example, can get out of their epl deal and i think cbs bought uefa until 2024. can they work out a tv deal for the fall to recover all the lost money from the epl and ucl? maybe, but they better work fast

someone with the ESL leaked that they were in discussion with amazon, among others, for a broadcasting deal and amazon already separated isself

cant believe this shit has me rooting for fifa, uefa, and amazon