• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2040 WBL Season Thread (Roster Exansion Time)

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Orlando @Yankee151 @jdlikewhoa

I know jd will be late, just reminding the other two to get their ST rosters set if they want to. You have until the Clips start blowing the Thudner out, so anywhere from 11:30-12:30

Gooksta

figs realized he couldnt hold off the hurricane that is key west.. changes had to be made.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah I'm just going to sim at midnight, if either of you two get on to export let me know (quale/jd) and I'll give you more time.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
figs realized he couldnt hold off the hurricane that is key west.. changes had to be made.

Moreso I had 8 OF's in camp and @doh was itching to get Berrios on his squad after I signed him for 300K more than he offered. Brought in a P to compete for the 4/5 or LR role and 2 specs for a few years down teh line.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Been looking stuff over and have some random rambling on contracts… we have a lot of CPU teams who (quite obviously) only want to to win now. That leads them to spend all of their money in FA and give deals that no one else would offer even though IMO most of them are fair. Especially compared to '13 when deals like the Todd Wrecked Ruffin deal was made to SLC before bdub retook the team.

In turn it drives the market up because they're willing to go 4/43 on a guy like Heida (who is worth it) when I pre-season discounted him for just 1/5.5 the season before. So basically all CPU teams are buyers whereas human teams are a) not buyers (i.e. Tankee) b) have no money or are saving it or c) waiting for lower prices.

For humans we have a buyers market where there is a ton of talent and we know the difference between a guy you sign for 4 years/good money and just waiting it out for one of the left overs who might not be as good but just a one-year deal and cheaper isn't much. In the UBL I believe there were some years where there were 2-3 good FAs but in this game there are tons and tons of great FAs. I still see a few out there who could reely help a team.

It's all related but the final point is the high prices are leading to insane extension demands. I looked at extending Curto on my team who is low greed and he wants 6/126. I signed him for 2/16.5 in a pre-season discount mainly because there are so many good 1Bs in the game. Particularly for whatever reason there are tons of great RH 1B (I think there are two reel good ones still left).

The problem is that the CPU levels they're signing guys out it inflating the market and making the first two months of FA useless and making it impossible to extend guys at a normal price.

That said, I actually like the ridiculous offers needed to extend guys. IRL guys barely extend before they hit FA and if they do they usually get maybe a bit more or at least fair market value as compared to going to FA.

I think the DH will have people look for more hitters as well. With the DH, fielding isn't as high a priority (you can afford to have a terrible fielder or two based on a partner to get a replacement and hiding a guy at DH). So that'll open the market up a little IMO.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Been looking stuff over and have some random rambling on contracts… we have a lot of CPU teams who (quite obviously) only want to to win now. That leads them to spend all of their money in FA and give deals that no one else would offer even though IMO most of them are fair. Especially compared to '13 when deals like the Todd Wrecked Ruffin deal was made to SLC before bdub retook the team.

In turn it drives the market up because they're willing to go 4/43 on a guy like Heida (who is worth it) when I pre-season discounted him for just 1/5.5 the season before. So basically all CPU teams are buyers whereas human teams are a) not buyers (i.e. Tankee) b) have no money or are saving it or c) waiting for lower prices.

For humans we have a buyers market where there is a ton of talent and we know the difference between a guy you sign for 4 years/good money and just waiting it out for one of the left overs who might not be as good but just a one-year deal and cheaper isn't much. In the UBL I believe there were some years where there were 2-3 good FAs but in this game there are tons and tons of great FAs. I still see a few out there who could reely help a team.

It's all related but the final point is the high prices are leading to insane extension demands. I looked at extending Curto on my team who is low greed and he wants 6/126. I signed him for 2/16.5 in a pre-season discount mainly because there are so many good 1Bs in the game. Particularly for whatever reason there are tons of great RH 1B (I think there are two reel good ones still left).

The problem is that the CPU levels they're signing guys out it inflating the market and making the first two months of FA useless and making it impossible to extend guys at a normal price.

That said, I actually like the ridiculous offers needed to extend guys. IRL guys barely extend before they hit FA and if they do they usually get maybe a bit more or at least fair market value as compared to going to FA.

I think the DH will have people look for more hitters as well. With the DH, fielding isn't as high a priority (you can afford to have a terrible fielder or two based on a partner to get a replacement and hiding a guy at DH). So that'll open the market up a little IMO.

Yeah they definitely drive the market's prices. I also like the extension system, because I'll find away to keep guys like Abdul and Alonzo even if I have to pay a premium. When I look at extension costs I also factor in what FA would bring them when I decide whether to resign or not. Like Alonzo, he is worth $20M to me because of what he would go for over that in FA. I got him at around $15M per which is a steal. Abdul is capped at $22M on his second contract. I have specific numbers for each player that I think is the value point where I can't get even a lesser player for.

For instance I think Wong is close, but is a lesser player than Abdul mostly due to the third pitch being iffy. I had to pay $20M for Wong and I consider myself pretty lucky to get him there. I think it is good we have to pay a bit of a premium to extend players and buy them out of going to FA because they would make more money there anyway. The money system in 14 is leaps and bounds better than the money system in 13. And although the draft isn't much fun now, our talent level is just fine IMO. We have some monsters in the league.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The CPU still added some guys and changed things though. Oh well not a huge deal.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Even though the wins aren't there, I am pretty happy with the results of spring so far. I think this will be the Alchemist's break out year and Flat Tire had a promising few ABs too. Only position I feel nervous about is #5. I'm auditioning like 3 pitchers.

Lloyd Carr

So I've got some tired pitchers, and I'm unsure how to handle it. My starting pitchers who are tired should be fine come their next start, but is the computer manager during the sims smart enough to not put a tired MR in the game?

Also, some players names are gold colored. What does that mean?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Without having the game in front of my I have no idea. Might mean they are starting. Also I really don't know about MRs but I've never noticed it being a problem. Doh and Radford Brown usually pay more attention to that sort of thing.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

I'll explain it for you.

We go half way through sprint training when we sim. This means that we usually go about 10-12 days give or take in the first sim. Therefore you need to step those offers up a little bit when you are looking at guys at the beginning of spring training. Otherwise guys will take the better offer if you can't counter.

This will all be resolved next year when I unveil the new schedule.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Let me the explain it for you.

I set my ST roster, but the CPU still added to it and modified it :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Let me the explain it for you.

I set my ST roster, but the CPU still added to it and modified it :laughing:

I thought you meant added to their teams.

I'm guessing you're smart enough to have already done this, but I'm assuming you are in charge of all personnel decisions. What about adding every player on your 40 man to the active roster? If you even leave one off it will add him and reorganize.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah I think my mistake was not adding everyone on my 40 man. I figured they would get added, but didn't think they would change line-ups and such. Not a huge deal. Couple players I'm in the fence about and just wanted them to have majority of ABs.

I should double-check those settings though. Nearly certain it was the first thing I did when we started WBL.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah the 40 man thing got me more times than I'd like to admit before figuring it out in the UBL

doh

Yellow names are tired, orange is exhausted and red is injured.
Orange is they're playing through a small injury actually. Yellow is tired.

If you have a position player that is yellow in your system check that depth chart ASAP. Means you don't have a back-up.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Eh same thing basically. Orange means force a couple days off :laughing:

i have "tired" position players pretty regularly, but there is a percentage. I don't really use off days except for guys I want to platoon.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think this is the first season in the WBL that I've actually looked forward to. It took me a while to get into the new league, I was afraid I'd never get into it like I was with the UBL.

I wish we still had dongs to bet with. I miss the betting thread

doh

Same here. I am finally into a season. I also was a bit busy with other things for the first two FAs and having the fourth overall pick has interested me too.

Lloyd Carr

Just read my mail. Apparently Holden Rankin (SS on All Whites) is out for 6 months after getting injured in a spring training game against Buffalo. Sorry, NML.

I also lost my SS, Torro, for 4 weeks and then made a mistake on the lizard math and accidentally put him on the 60-day DL instead of the 15-day DL.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Just read my mail. Apparently Holden Rankin (SS on All Whites) is out for 6 months after getting injured in a spring training game against Buffalo. Sorry, NML.

I also lost my SS, Torro, for weeks and then made a mistake on the lizard math and accidentally put him on the 60-day DL instead of the 15-day DL.

Since you're new I'll help you out with that

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah, always go 15-day unless you need the 40-man space. You can factor in 20 days of rehab into ur personal calculations if you like.

Lloyd Carr

I also just saw a message from my owner saying he wants the team to go .500 this year. The preseason predictions report has me at .265.

Lawd.

Gooksta

I also just saw a message from my owner saying he wants the team to go .500 this year. The preseason predictions report has me at .265.

Lawd.
the worst an owner will expect is .500 regardless of talent.. at least that I have seen.. he will be pissed if you do what you are projected,, but you cant get fired.. so no biggie

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also idk where they get their info, but Alonzo doesn't have the power to knock out 32.

Make sure you guys get your teams down to 25. If you don't do that by tomorrow night I'm just going to make the AI fix your whole system.

That's ur warning.

doh

I feel pretty good about my team this year. My goal was to basically grade out average at each position but have a great bench where I can platoon guys offensively. Defensively I've got studs almost everywhere too which is big. OFs are 70, 75, 80. IFs are 45 (1B), 55, 75, 55. C is 70.

MY pitching staff doesn't have the elite SP it had when I went to the WS but I like the staff it's solid. The bullpen is solid too.

Most importantly I've started to turn over my players from mostly RH to LH. My ballpark is a lot kinder to LH so I've been making an effort to flip my players to become more LH based. I think I had one switch hitter start and one LH last season. This year it's 2 switch, 3 LH vs. RHP which I like.

Hope to compete for a playoff spot and use my defense/solid pitching in the playoffs. Probably one or two stud hitters from being in the playoffs for sure.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Stoked to sign Park as my #5. I didnt want to fall back on Ragnar and risk that option.

Flat Tire already hurt doe :laughing:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you guys sign someone over this last sim do you throw them in AAA for a faux ST, or just put them right on your roster?

Lloyd Carr

Stoked to sign Park as my #5. I didnt want to fall back on Ragnar and risk that option.

Flat Tire already hurt doe :laughing:

:laughing:

I'm sorry, but that guy is fragile as fuck. I feel like I should send you a draft pick or something for ur troubles.

Gooksta

If you guys sign someone over this last sim do you throw them in AAA for a faux ST, or just put them right on your roster?
put him on the roster.. I dont do the faux sp training thing.. if they expect to be on the major league roster..that could upset them and screw em up even more