• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2079 Season Thread

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Arms fall off

giphy.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
What's the best way to try to get my budget under control? Should I waive anyone who's useless and on the wage bill?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If you look at the "Moscow Mules" thread I gave a lot of advice for building a franchise. It's probably 50/50 advice, but I can't remember which is the good 50 and which is the bad 50. Here is a post about managing finances by creating a wage scale. You'll have to wait until the offseason to really make adjustments, as ur players are already paid for the year (unless you trade them).

Here's the post I made about BTT WAGE SCALE that I used to use when I cared! I now pretty much only sign players I like, regardless of their production!

Part 1 - Using a wage scale to keep ur finances in order while building a roster.

My overall roster building approach, and the approach I recommend to others, is to try and reach the playoffs every year with the most cost efficient base roster I can manage while also increasing my budget in general, maximizing the amount of money I have available between the budget and my payroll so that I can spend a lot of money in IFA and spend big in FA on short term luxury deals. To that end, I have a fairly strict wage scale that I try to adhere to based on how I view the player's importance to the team. In order to stay within that wage scale, it is really important that I develop most of my players within my own system. If a player is demanding more than my wage scale, I hope to replace them in house and then attempt to trade them for value before I'm faced with a difficult decision to let them walk in free agency and have to scramble for a replacement. For my free agent "luxury" players on short term contracts, I basically expect to pay double my wage scale for those players, since that is the nature of free agency. For these luxury contracts I only have 1 guaranteed year and then 1 or 2 team option years so that I can bail on that salary if the player doesn't work out. I think this approach, especially toward free agency, leaves me with less dead money and bad contracts than most teams.I don't mind paying a luxury free agent player a huge salary, but I always want it to be a short term deal because free agent contracts are inherently inefficient to start with and a lot of the players are older so signing them long term is a huge risk.

BTT WAGE SCALE - keeping 30 players or less on salary is ideal, but depth/injury cause certain players to be called up short term and then kept on the payroll so you might pay as many as 35. I based the wage scale on a playoff built team and a maximum allowable payroll of about $150M for a team with a budget of $175M dollars, and leaving enough money for development and scouting and having some available for trades ($25M buffer is a good minimum cushion between budget/payroll).Any extra savings should be spent on IFA or short term luxury free agent signings designed to help you win more games and drive fan interest up (to keep your budget up). Most teams (including myself) have a budget of less than $175M, so adjust accordingly.

#1 and #2 type Pitchers and Elite position players (3+ WAR) < 15M/year (<30M if via FA). Approx 5 players max (approx 75 million max)
#3-4 type starting pitchers, reliable starting position players (2 WAR), and elite relief pitchers < 5M/year (<10M if via FA). Approx 8 players max (approx 40 million max)
#5-#6 Starting pitchers, marginal starters (1 WAR), platoon starters, and normal relief pitchers < 2M/year (<4M if via FA). Approx 10 players max (approx 20 million max)
Bench Players/Subs/Talismanic Players etc < 1M/year (should not need to sign these players via FA, but they are often available and easy to sign for cheap if you need them) (approx 15 million max)

You can see my current salary list at the link here (approx 34 players on salary right now: (THIS LINK GOES TO MY CURRENT ROSTER AND NONE OF THIS IS VALID)
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/teams/team_6_player_salary_report.html

I currently only have two "Luxury" free agent players on the roster. Jamie Robles was an "elite" player and is in the last year of a 2 year contract is making $20M. He played really well for me last season, so I kept him under his option but now he's really struggling and I'm glad that his contract will be finished at the end of the year. Samuel Seguin was a stop gap "back of the rotation" pitcher that I signed to give me some good service while a few of my younger pitchers developed. He is in his second year of a luxury "back end of rotation pitcher" contract for $10M and I think he's performed well. Still, I'm glad his contract is up because I've got cheaper young pitchers who should be able to provide that same level of service going forward.

I have 3 players in the normal "elite" contract level and they are Paul Lee, Julio Manuel, and Isam Nazih. Lee is on a long term contract making $12.5M/year and I think he's been performing like a top of the rotation pitcher. Julio Manuel hasn't really lived up to his elite status, due to injuries and MS, but he's still played pretty well and he's on a $7.5M average contract which is closer to the "solid starter" salary anyway, so I'm not too upset. Isam Nazih is still under team control so his salary is really nice and low at $5.8M average, his next contract might be difficult to keep under $15M/year and I will have a difficult decision.

I have 4 players in the 2-5M/year range and they are all meeting expectations

I have 5 players in the 1-2M/year range. 3 of them are meeting expectations and the other 2 will be gone at the end of the season.

I have 20 players in the <1M year range. I don't have much in the way of expectations for these players, other than provide depth or some intangible benefit to the team. I'm carrying a few more of these minimum players than I'd like at the current time, but that's mostly due to calling up some 4th outfield types that haven't really worked out. there are about 5-10 of these guys that will be released at the end of the season and will be replaced by newer young players.

I know that is pretty spergy and not all that helpful for you right now since your team is more comprised of 35 shitheads, but you can at least see that some of your shitheads are making too much money according to my wage scale, given their performance/role on the team. The good news is that you don't have any terrible long term contracts, so your rebuild should be a pretty blank slate and you can start building a very cost effective winning team!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Your salaries are still pretty respectable, meanwhile I am paying 45M for 3 DHs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
My salaries are ok. My owner for some reason is acting like a complete bastard. I actually don't know what I'm doing wrong to be honest. Winning games is all very well, but I have no money to fill the holes. I'm worried now this is a vicious circle and I won't have the money to sign my draft picks.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
My salaries are ok. My owner for some reason is acting like a complete bastard. I actually don't know what I'm doing wrong to be honest. Winning games is all very well, but I have no money to fill the holes. I'm worried now this is a vicious circle and I won't have the money to sign my draft picks.

Welcome to my world since 2062. The financial engine in this game is still broken but the HAVES don't want to hear that...

NML

Unless things have changed, 99% of your budget is determined by regular season revenue. So your budget is set for this season, and besides trading you can’t acquire more room. Next season will be set by how much money you make this year.

Winning is a part of it, but not everything. First, winning for one season doesn’t do much for you, you need a run of a few seasons in a row of progress to make a significant impact. You’ll also notice that players have popularity ratings, which also drives attendance. Signing highly popular players to extension can bump fan interest, and while signing a big name doesn’t immediately bump it, it will over time. Trading or letting popular players leave in FA will also cut your fan interest and, by extension, your budget.

There’s other places you can save money too - you can lower parts of your budget, like player development or scouting.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Your salaries are still pretty respectable, meanwhile I am paying 45M for 3 DHs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the only bad contract is for Odoardo Janeira and that's because I wanted to make him a rigger 4 life after selling my soul for him in hopes he'd be my CF 4 LIFE and then he lost range and turned into a RF.

NML

Welcome to my world since 2062. The financial engine in this game is still broken but the HAVES don't want to hear that...

Meh, I think the nature of our set up is forgiving to high budget teams, so it’s less about “how do I increase my budget” and more “how do I ever catch up?”

NML

Glad I’ve been back *checks watch* 28 hours and I can already cue up doh and his bitching about how hard it is to have a budget more than double the size of some teams

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Well, I looked at the financials, and it said cash from owner -11,000,000 last year, which was also the operating loss, and the reason he squeezed the budget. Before that, he was topping up the cash, so fuck knows what's happened. At this rate, it's going to be impossible to get the team going again without trading the three good players I have on long term contracts. It doesn't seem at all logical to me, as I'm not paying anyone a large amount who isn't worth it , and those who I am are very good value (apart from a pitcher who I over paid and is on 8m).

NML

I don’t have the game in front of me, but I’m guessing the -$11m is the excess you had, as you aren’t allowed to carry over more than $10m in cash (at least that’s how it use to be). Or it could be the money the owner had to inject since you went so far over budget. But neither of these has an impact on your budget

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If I was in BUILDING mode, I would avoid large long term contracts. TBONE is a great player, but do you have the luxury of paying a GOAT when you're a building franchise? I'm not sure. Anyway, what happens if he gets hurt or declines? He's producing now, but I'd hate to see a $15M BUM on your roster in 2084.

The only really puzzling salary you have is that TOM PYKE bum. He's not even an American, lol.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Meh, I think the nature of our set up is forgiving to high budget teams, so it’s less about “how do I increase my budget” and more “how do I ever catch up?”

I think this is the general vibe I'm getting, and probably one of the reasons you might struggle to get people to stay. At the moment I feel like I have to trade my only three good players to teams that have huge budgets (and wave goodbye to more fans), just to release the cash to sign some draft picks that will probably bust. After a few more seasons, this doesn't look like it's going to be much fun....

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Keep in mind you have a draft budget which is separate from your main budget, so your available money for FA doesn't take into account whatever that amount is in order to sign picks

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
If I was in BUILDING mode, I would avoid large long term contracts. TBONE is a great player, but do you have the luxury of paying a GOAT when you're a building franchise? I'm not sure. Anyway, what happens if he gets hurt or declines? He's producing now, but I'd hate to see a $15M BUM on your roster in 2084.

The only really puzzling salary you have is that TOM PYKE bum. He's not even an American, lol.

It's just depressing not to be able to keep a player like that for 15m a year, when the large teams are hoovering up lesser players for 20m+. That's not how it should work.

I'm drafting American, but trying to keep the team competitive in the mean time, so looking after the few talented players I have in order not to spend the same amount signing a 30+ free agent for the same money. If I purely bomb, my budget will shrink even more. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but am being punished by a pretty unfriendly setup.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Keep in mind you have a draft budget which is separate from your main budget, so your available money for FA doesn't take into account whatever that amount is in order to sign picks

Everything is getting fucked on. If you're not financially struggling, you get more money to sign draft picks. I think my money for draft picks is 3m this year, which I've now realised won't even sign my round one pick...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also to double keep in mind, draft pick signing happens after the new year's budgets, so you can always release guys on arb to make room if needed

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well, I looked at the financials, and it said cash from owner -11,000,000 last year, which was also the operating loss, and the reason he squeezed the budget. Before that, he was topping up the cash, so fuck knows what's happened. At this rate, it's going to be impossible to get the team going again without trading the three good players I have on long term contracts. It doesn't seem at all logical to me, as I'm not paying anyone a large amount who isn't worth it , and those who I am are very good value (apart from a pitcher who I over paid and is on 8m).

Your budget is almost entirely dependent on last season's regular season revenue, then you get up to $10M in cash if you operated at a profit last year. Last year you operated at a loss, therefore you don't get the extra $10M in cash.

It looks like you have your ticket prices set very low ($12-13 based on last year's financial report?) This helped you generate a good amount of attendance, but it also really limited how much money you made. You had more attendance than I did last season, but my tickets are $31-32 each, so I made like 3x as much in gate/season ticket revenue as you did. I recommend increasing ur ticket prices to at least $20 and then slowly increasing from there each season as you begin to win more. There is a bit of a balancing act here, but it is definitely better to sell slightly fewer tickets at a higher price than regularly be selling out ur stadium at a low price.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah 20 is probably the bear minimum for prices, I've ran 22 as a bottom of the barrel team. I was at 25 last year and ended up with the 4th picks. Fans will come if you have popular guys

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Your budget is almost entirely dependent on last season's regular season revenue, then you get up to $10M in cash if you operated at a profit last year. Last year you operated at a loss, therefore you don't get the extra $10M in cash.

It looks like you have your ticket prices set very low ($12-13 based on last year's financial report?) This helped you generate a good amount of attendance, but it also really limited how much money you made. You had more attendance than I did last season, but my tickets are $31-32 each, so I made like 3x as much in gate/season ticket revenue as you did. I recommend increasing ur ticket prices to at least $20 and then slowly increasing from there each season as you begin to win more. There is a bit of a balancing act here, but it is definitely better to sell slightly fewer tickets at a higher price than regularly be selling out ur stadium at a low price.

I think you probably found where I went wrong. It was already v cheap then and I lowered it to get moar bums on seats. Does seem weird though to have to put ticket prices up to make more money when the stadium is half empty...

NML

@hayvis a few short term solutions

- you can sell picks or players for cash. If you’ve got a decent prospect who maybe you don’t need or who’s blocked by a better player, consider selling him (this was pretty easy at one point, probably less so now with owners)

- trade your picks for youngsters about to break through, either on the minimum or not on a WBL contract yet

- try and add some popular guys who are cheap via different avenues (trade, FA) whose attendance impact will outweigh their salary

For long term, you ultimately have to be cheap and successful for a few years to build things up. I got mocked for it but what worked for me was I had a window in mind that I wanted to try and grow my budget. So basically I tried to build a core group all roughly the same age who would be on the minimum and arb together so that I had room to add missing pieces in the areas where I was short. By the time they all started to get expensive, my budget had jumped up so I could afford them.

The hard part is getting over the initial hurdle. I agree with you that it makes it tough for a new owner to keep interest

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
While I don't know what the exact balance is, there's probably a contingent of say, 9k people per game who are going to come no matter what, so the rest is just tweaking the numbers from there. Attendance is always higher at the start of the season too, before your team shows how bad they are that year!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@hayvis a few short term solutions

- you can sell picks or players for cash. If you’ve got a decent prospect who maybe you don’t need or who’s blocked by a better player, consider selling him (this was pretty easy at one point, probably less so now with owners)

- trade your picks for youngsters about to break through, either on the minimum or not on a WBL contract yet

- try and add some popular guys who are cheap via different avenues (trade, FA) whose attendance impact will outweigh their salary

For long term, you ultimately have to be cheap and successful for a few years to build things up. I got mocked for it but what worked for me was I had a window in mind that I wanted to try and grow my budget. So basically I tried to build a core group all roughly the same age who would be on the minimum and arb together so that I had room to add missing pieces in the areas where I was short. By the time they all started to get expensive, my budget had jumped up so I could afford them.

The hard part is getting over the initial hurdle. I agree with you that it makes it tough for a new owner to keep interest

I'll probably just have to trade the two good players I have and just rebuild from there. You think cash is more useful than draft picks? I don't really mind it taking a few years, so I would probably go down the route of draft picks over players about to break through.

If I knew the game was so unforgiving, I would never have taken the approach that I have. Does feel like I've wasted the first few years doing things the wrong way. I suppose that's the learning curve of most games though.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Signing guys to absurd contracts for things they did in the past when ur a HAVE NOT is something that only total idiots like the moron running Miami into the ground should do. That idiot has been handing out bad Joe Mauer-esque contracts to BUMS for over 20 years now and you can see what his success has been (however, FLAGS FLY FOREVER).

Best thing you can do is try and win in the drafts, move guys at the right time for prospects, and buy out ARB years of young guys if they're not GREEDY shitheads like most decent players are in this sim.