• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2081 DRAFT THREAD

Do You Want a LIVE DRAFT 1st Round in 2081?

• Total voters

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here is a link to the draft site that isn't live yet, so nobody complains later. Eventually it will be live and you can use this link.
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/cgi-bin/ootpou.pl?page=draftPicks

I have also included a poll to see if you'll want to do a live draft first round again or not:

Pros for live draft:
1. Join 1-2 other people on Discord to discuss the first round as @Yankee151 figures out how to turn OTTO off and make a selection based on the person's list they didn't turn on!
2. Draft Spreadsheet from Travis that only @hayvis will use (without live draft, no spreadsheet as immersion levels will not defeat Travis' current flight sim immersion)
3. Watch @doh miss his 1st round pick because he completely ignored all WBL discussions for weeks and was surprised by his 5 minute draft window!
4. Entire 1st round done in 90 minutes, which is good because figuring out when to hold the live draft probably delayed the start of the draft by 2 weeks!

Cons
1. If you cannot attend the live draft you must create a list (either on the draft site or a list you send to a designated representative). Alternatively, you can ask for an OTTO pick or BPA from the BIGBOARD
2. You must turn on the list if you want the list to work.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD MY TOOL:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eibm1idgfn10n11/2081DraftTool_OSA.xlsx?dl=0

LINK TO GOOGLE SHEET OF THE SUMMARY PAGES:

Last edited:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Live draft is one of the greatest moments in the history of the internet, so if there was an option for 16 rounds, I would choose it.

Hoping to attend this time.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Here is a link to the draft site that isn't live yet, so nobody complains later. Eventually it will be live and you can use this link.
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/cgi-bin/ootpou.pl?page=draftPicks

I have also included a poll to see if you'll want to do a live draft first round again or not:

Pros for live draft:
1. Join 1-2 other people on Discord to discuss the first round as @Yankee151 figures out how to turn OTTO off and make a selection based on the person's list they didn't turn on!
2. Draft Spreadsheet from Travis that only @hayvis will use (without live draft, no spreadsheet as immersion levels will not defeat Travis' current flight sim immersion)
3. Watch @doh miss his 1st round pick because he completely ignored all WBL discussions for weeks and was surprised by his 5 minute draft window!
4. Entire 1st round done in 90 minutes, which is good because figuring out when to hold the live draft probably delayed the start of the draft by 2 weeks!

Cons
1. If you cannot attend the live draft you must create a list (either on the draft site or a list you send to a designated representative). Alternatively, you can ask for an OTTO pick or BPA from the BIGBOARD
2. You must turn on the list if you want the list to work.

@Travis7401 , I am looking forward to using your draft tool. Can I use it in google as I don't have any spreadsheet software for my computer?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I went ahead and added the link to MY TOOL to the first post, feel free to download it! @hayvis, I'll try to paste the summary into a google spreadsheet when I get the time, but I'm not gonna fuck with formatting.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Is there features to the tool, or is it just reference? Sorry if I seem dumb on this.

The TOOL is in the spreadsheet, but it won’t work in google sheets, google sheets is the summary of what I used the TOOL to calculate (ie predicted max position potential, predicted batting stats, ERA+ and WHIP ratings)

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The TOOL is in the spreadsheet, but it won’t work in google sheets, google sheets is the summary of what I used the TOOL to calculate (ie predicted max position potential, predicted batting stats, ERA+ and WHIP ratings)

What do I need?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 is it just me or is this a very confusing draft? There only seems to be 3 batters with a predicted OPS of over 0.800, and a massive amount of teenagers. There seems like one or two nearly developed pitchers but most are high school crap shoots.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I guess the answer is that you should just use it as a reference. Most of this stuff you can already see in game (ie all the columns with black/grey headers). Columns with green headers are things I calculated ma'self based off the other ratings. So for the Batters Tab, you have all the usual ratings you can see in game, plus I calculated positional ratings and projected WBL batting stats (if they reach potential)

I think the most useful thing is the "potential position" ratings. It takes into account all the fielding ratings (range, arm, etc) and calculates the maximum potential positional rating that player can achieve, given enough playing time/experience at the position. I have also calculated potential WBL batting stats for you, based on the potential ratings. For Instance, SEVERINO projects as an 80 CF, while ARMANDO PAZ is a BARELY/NOT EVEN a CORNER OF with max ratings in the 50s for LF/RF.

I expect a player with an ELITE CF/SS/C rating to project at >.650 OPS to be a true WBL prospect
I expect a player with GREAT defensive rating at corner OF, 2B, 3B to project at >.700 OPS to be a true WBL prospect
I expect EVEN A CORNER OF and 1B with GOOD defensive ratings to project at >.750 OPS to be a true WBL prospect
I expect a BARELY EVEN 1B/LF to project at >.800 OPS to be a true WBL prospect
I expect a TROG BAT to project at >.850 OPS to be a true WBL prospect.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm not going to do positional rankings because I'm only partially immersed this year, but here is the start of my BIG BOARD. I'll eventually get through 16 players, lol.

1. SP/OF Abdul-Hasib bin Wakil - I have him rated as the #1 SP in the class and he's also one of the top bats who can play a position. He projects as a LF with 50 range/arm and 60 error rating. He has bat ratings of 65/65/55/50/65 and projects at around .840 OPS in the WBL. He's got a DURABLE injury rating, which is what helped move him to the #1 SP slot in my mind, and he has potential of 55/60/65 as a pitcher. Young pitchers typically get a VELO bump which improves their stuff potential, so I think he's gonna project as 60/60/65 in reality. He has 3 good pitches, 75 stamina and 75 defense. I would probably play him as a pitcher instead of in LF, but it would be cool to have a LF backup, I guess. He wants a hefty $7M signing bonus, so you might want to make sure you have the budget before picking him!

2. SP Juan Vargas - A 65/60/60 pitcher with 4 good pitches and 65 stamina, he's the quintessential starting pitcher! The downside is he's fragile and that scares me a lot, since he's gonna have to play for a lot of years in the minors before he reaches the WBL. He also has an INTROVERTED personality. He's probably the most high risk/high reward prospect in the draft.

3. 1B/3B JAKE BARNETT - Jake will be a GREAT 1B and also projects as a GOOD 3B as long as his range doesn't drop. 60 contact and 60 power is always a good combination and he projects to hit over .800 OPS in the WBL

4. TROGBAT (RF) Edgar Rea - STEADY EDDY Rea is the best bat in the draft and projects to hit .900 OPS in the WBL. He doesn't have the range to play any positions at the WBL level, so he's pretty much a DH Only prospect. I think it speaks to the quality of the draft that we have a TROG BAT in the top 5, and he's not as good as last year's dude!

5. SP Vaclav Paauew - VACLAV was drafted with the 1-3 pick two years in a row by Lisbon! He took a year off between drafts and then went and spent 2 years in college, where he played very well. He has less development than you'd typically see from a player coming out of college, but that's because he didn't attend for 4 full years! He has a 60/55/60 pitch rating and 5 pitches with 60 stamina and he's DURABLE! Should be a decent middle of the rotation SP in the WBL

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Who I'd have zero chance to get with the 1-6 (Vargas is a 3rd round grade for me as fragile, so it's the top guy then PAUW)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
In reality here's my Top 20 (no lanks, I'm not doing all the work for you)

1. Faysal bin'Israil SP (listed as CL)
  2. Abdul-Hasbin bin Wakil SP/OF
  3. Edgar Rea RF
  4. Vaclaav Pauw SP
  5. Dwane "Toga Party" McKeggie SP (@Mr. Radpants only)
  6. Joe Pitts SP
  7. Ameer bin Nuh SP
  8. Lars Alqvist C (@Orlando only)
  9. Jake Barnett 1B (lower range, don't think he can play 3B)
  10. Greg Crowe SP (listed as CL) (@bruin @bruin228 only if they come back)
  11. Severino Caupers CF (TWBSU aka Two wars by showing up)
  12. Ichiro Kondo SP (listed as CL)
  13. Turhan Karabekhir SP
  14. Amal "Badger" Olyuemi SP
  15. Dwayne Martindale Utility (TWBSU at every position but SS and 3B with 40 IF arm)
  16. Diego Robles SP
  17. Armando Paz RF
  18. Abbudin bin Yasar C
  19. Malik Yooku SP (listed as CL)
  20. Quang Tanh CL

There are plenty of good pitchers in this draft actually, but a good chunk of them are listed as closers. bin'Israil is a prospect in the Cross/Braves/Mintey ETC. great college pitcher mold, could be pro ready but probably wants just one AAA season to adjust to being a starter. binWakil will provide more wars won by playing both sides of the field, but can't go wrong with either two at the top.

McKeggie probably would've been my pick assuming none of yous scooped him from me, but he's my second favorite player in the draft. Someone will get a solid #3 or possibly a #2 with him.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
These used to be 5 of the best SP prospects of 82. All of them are injured with major arm injuries from Torn Triceps to Tommy John. At the top of the (STARZ) list (not shown, obviously) is 4 two-pitch relievers and a normal injury rating HS SP with only 3 stars, not shown.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
In reality here's my Top 20 (no lanks, I'm not doing all the work for you)

1. Faysal bin'Israil SP (listed as CL)
  2. Abdul-Hasbin bin Wakil SP/OF
  3. Edgar Rea RF
  4. Vaclaav Pauw SP
  5. Dwane "Toga Party" McKeggie SP (@Mr. Radpants only)
  6. Joe Pitts SP
  7. Ameer bin Nuh SP
  8. Lars Alqvist C (@Orlando only)
  9. Jake Barnett 1B (lower range, don't think he can play 3B)
  10. Greg Crowe SP (listed as CL) (@bruin @bruin228 only if they come back)
  11. Severino Caupers CF (TWBSU aka Two wars by showing up)
  12. Ichiro Kondo SP (listed as CL)
  13. Turhan Karabekhir SP
  14. Amal "Badger" Olyuemi SP
  15. Dwayne Martindale Utility (TWBSU at every position but SS and 3B with 40 IF arm)
  16. Diego Robles SP
  17. Armando Paz RF
  18. Abbudin bin Yasar C
  19. Malik Yooku SP (listed as CL)
  20. Quang Tanh CL

There are plenty of good pitchers in this draft actually, but a good chunk of them are listed as closers. bin'Israil is a prospect in the Cross/Braves/Mintey ETC. great college pitcher mold, could be pro ready but probably wants just one AAA season to adjust to being a starter. binWakil will provide more wars won by playing both sides of the field, but can't go wrong with either two at the top.

McKeggie probably would've been my pick assuming none of yous scooped him from me, but he's my second favorite player in the draft. Someone will get a solid #3 or possibly a #2 with him.

Are you tombout OSA ratings?

Wolfman21

i'll assume Yankee is putting a closer ahead of bin Wakil because he can't see his batting ratings on the website

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
They are 1a/1b for me, both are fine picks at 1-1. bin Israil is a slightly better pitcher and he's in college vs. HS which is what I'd care about thus my own personal big board would've taken him there at 1-1

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
These used to be 5 of the best SP prospects of 82. All of them are injured with major arm injuries from Torn Triceps to Tommy John. At the top of the (STARZ) list (not shown, obviously) is 4 two-pitch relievers and a normal injury rating HS SP with only 3 stars, not shown.

Tommy John? They should come back as 5* prospects

Wolfman21

They are 1a/1b for me, both are fine picks at 1-1. bin Israil is a slightly better pitcher and he's in college vs. HS which is what I'd care about thus my own personal big board would've taken him there at 1-1

and to think i once got chastised for taking a closer at 1-8....harumph

Wolfman21

I think while you were gone I drafted one at 1-5. He was fucking legendary until he blew his arm out and had to head out to the highway to sell produce in North Dakota.

Pretty sure I took Amano in the first round a year or two before i took my break. But Billy Humphrey...I took him 1-8 I think, and i got LAMBASTED. He ended up being like one of the 2 or 3 useful dudes in that draft.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
and to think i once got chastised for taking a closer at 1-8....harumph
I'm off and on about closers, but lately versions have been throwing guys with 3 pitchers as closers when they could start. I turned Honeyfield into a closer and won two titles because of it, so they are certainly valuable, depends on your team's needs though.