• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2087 Season Thread

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
if i were drafting #2, i'd pray you were drafting #1. That third baseman is a future hall of goats player. Also @Orlando is right...this may be another relief pitcher draft for me. I'm sitting in the right spot to grab the future Billy Humphrey

I'm never drafting a reliever in the 1st round again. I drafted not one but 2 'sure things' two years in a row and they are both busts. Chris Campbell went from a five star almost fully developed prospect into a 2 star and Faysal Bin Isra'il developed all the ratings but has won negative wars every year.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
if i were drafting #2, i'd pray you were drafting #1. That third baseman is a future hall of goats player. Also @Orlando is right...this may be another relief pitcher draft for me. I'm sitting in the right spot to grab the future Billy Humphrey
I like them both and they have both had good success. 3B is more of a need for me, but it’s up to @Mr. Radpants.

Wolfman21

I'm never drafting a reliever in the 1st round again. I drafted not one but 2 'sure things' two years in a row and they are both busts. Chris Campbell went from a five star almost fully developed prospect into a 2 star and Faysal Bin Isra'il developed all the ratings but has won negative wars every year.

Campbell wasn't that good to begin with. 65/55/60 relievers are a dime a dozen...he should have never been drafted in the top 5. Hes also been injured alot, multiple times with elbow inflammation which has hurt his ratings. If you're gonna draft a reliever in the first round, it has to be a GOAT. And theres a GOAT or two in this draft

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Campbell wasn't that good to begin with. 65/55/60 relievers are a dime a dozen...he should have never been drafted in the top 5. Hes also been injured alot, multiple times with elbow inflammation which has hurt his ratings. If you're gonna draft a reliever in the first round, it has to be a GOAT. And theres a GOAT or two in this draft

I've had several first round relievers. I pick SP with a weak 3rd pitch. If it develops (never does) that's great, if not they get a big stuff boost when you convert them to RP.

Wolfman21

I've had several first round relievers. I pick SP with a weak 3rd pitch. If it develops (never does) that's great, if not they get a big stuff boost when you convert them to RP.

i've got no problem with drafting relievers in the first round if there aren't any good bats or starters left. Picking one in the top 5, unless they're gonna be the best reliever in the league for a decade, is a questionable tactic. Especially that creature Hayvis drafted

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Quoted for posterity:

TRAVISSUCKSDICK'S TOP RELIEF ACES/CLOSERS!

This isn't your Daddy's WBL! Closers and Relief ACES are commanding salaries of $5-10M/season and are hot commodities in free agency. GIMMICK pitching systems utilizing the stopper role love relief pitchers with great stamina and they see almost as many innings as a SP. You might not want to spend a 1st round pick on a reliever, but I wouldn't hesitate to take any of these guys in the 1st! Here's a list of a few of the best the 2080 draft has to offer.

Chris 'Chokie' Campbell
Here is the type of closer you wouldn't be surprised to see taken in the 1st round. 80/55/60 potential ratings and he's already got current ratings of 50 or greater in each area, so he's a CAN'T MISS PLAYER. My favorite thing about Campbell is that he's actually got 60 stamina and a 3rd pitch (even if it is bad). He's listed as a closer, but this is a prototypical RELIEF ACE that in the right system can see as many innings as a starting pitcher. Imagine having this guy pitch for an inning or two every other day!
View attachment 8916

Kiyoshi Matsushita
Kiyoshi is listed in the draft as a SP, but he projects better as a RELIEF ACE because his 3rd pitch tops out at 30 OVR. If you convert him to RP you should see a bump of 5-10 points to his stuff, since it will only use his top 2 pitches in the calculation. He will likely get the VELO bump typical to young prospects, leading me to project his true potential ratings as 70/60/60 as a RP. 65 Stamina with a 3rd pitch makes him a relief ace just like CHOKIE above. He's a bit more of a question mark as a young player who will require more development, but on the flip side he also has the potential to turn into a great SP if his 3rd pitch ever improves.
View attachment 8917

Conroy Trainer
Another player listed as a SP, who projects better as a RELIEF ACE since his 3rd pitch isn't good enough for a starter. Still, he does have a 3rd pitch and he has 65 stamina, so he can definitely see a lot of innings with the right bullpen setup. Similar to Kiyoshi, his stuff rating would get a bump from the position change and I think he projects as a 65/55/65 relief ace. Not quite as good as Kiyoshi, but he does have the benefit of a HIGH work ethic, so maybe he'll turn hisself into the better player.
View attachment 8919

Matt Hone
Hone is a more traditional closer and doesn't quite fit the RELIEF ACE role but he COULD be used there since he has 50 stamina! He's a 70/55/60 potential pitcher, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a VELO bump move that stuff rating even higher, so he'll be a good WBL player no matter how you set ur bullpen!
View attachment 8918

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

It was a turrible draft. Yankee and Travis had him top 5 simply because everyone else was diabolical. I can't bring his draft page up now, but he was good at the time. Got worse and worse. Faysal the same, although he developed all of his bars and no actual stats.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
i've got no problem with drafting relievers in the first round if there aren't any good bats or starters left. Picking one in the top 5, unless they're gonna be the best reliever in the league for a decade, is a questionable tactic. Especially that creature Hayvis drafted
And that scenario has never happened, so never take one Top 5.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Don't fuck with Wolfmad's opinion. Look at the fucking world beaters he's put together with a bunch of high draft picks.....

Wolfman21

Don't fuck with Wolfmad's opinion. Look at the fucking world beaters he's put together with a bunch of high draft picks.....

I'm sorry...i'm scrolling through the league history index and looking for Paris...hmm...Paris, Paris, Paris. Nope...don't see them even making the world series. Hmph.....kiss the rings baby...just kiss em

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
It was a turrible draft. Yankee and Travis had him top 5 simply because everyone else was diabolical. I can't bring his draft page up now, but he was good at the time. Got worse and worse. Faysal the same, although he developed all of his bars and no actual stats.

Was going to point out what diabolical means but a quick Google revealed that this is a way the British have butchered another word

INFORMAL•BRITISH

disgracefully bad or unpleasant.

"a singer with an absolutely diabolical voice"

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
3-3 ain’t bad. I need to figure out this cluster of a rotation in the first month. Also need to figure out how to pry Kamrk from @Rutgers Mike

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Was going to point out what diabolical means but a quick Google revealed that this is a way the British have butchered another word

INFORMAL•BRITISH

disgracefully bad or unpleasant.

"a singer with an absolutely diabolical voice"

Yeah. Americans never did that.

Wolfman21

SpitefulShrillIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif

Wolfman21

lol, its too easy with you. I won't troll you anymore. Its only fun when its difficult. Though this one was a little fun because I got the other easy troll involved as well. So it was a two-for-one deal...which is nice

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Can we get the League Homepage link in the new player area updated to the correct league homepage? I can't ever find the fucking thing and end up looking at 2082 stats.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Also, CHOKIE had a perfectly good start as a RELIEF ACE... then you decided to have him start a bunch of games and he isn't good at that! Probably ur best 1st round pick ever, lol.

Wolfman21

Also, CHOKIE had a perfectly good start as a RELIEF ACE... then you decided to have him start a bunch of games and he isn't good at that! Probably ur best 1st round pick ever, lol.

well thats like trying to pull the perfect corn kernel out of the pile of shit, isnt it?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
He's the 5th highest WAR winning player in that draft class, fwiw. If used correctly his whole career he'd be 3rd or 4th highest.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
lol, its too easy with you. I won't troll you anymore. Its only fun when its difficult. Though this one was a little fun because I got the other easy troll involved as well. So it was a two-for-one deal...which is nice

You still haven't answered my question. I just wanted to check that you were too?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
He's the 5th highest WAR winning player in that draft class, fwiw. If used correctly his whole career he'd be 3rd or 4th highest.

Not my idea to start him. It was when you and @Yankee151 did ur live draft profiles, and knowing nothing about the game, I decided to take Tankee's advice and use him as a potential starter.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Went back to check @Travis7401 - It was you that suggested starting Campbell, not Tankee . Do I get an apology? You can fly into something for me again as compensation for ur turrible advice.-- VOILA - at 12:30 -

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I specifically say he should play in the stopper role, lol, then say "Try him out as a starter and see how he does!" That's what @Orlando is tombout. Put him in the minors as a starter and see if that 3rd pitch improves... if it doesn't he's a stopper. Looks like that 3rd pitch never improved!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I specifically say he should play in the stopper role, lol, then say "Try him out as a starter and see how he does!" That's what @Orlando is tombout. Put him in the minors as a starter and see if that 3rd pitch improves... if it doesn't he's a stopper. Looks like that 3rd pitch never improved!

Maybe that's what you meant at that point, but do you want me to find the section of audio where you suggest that he can go straight to the majors?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 - I'm not sure if I actually ever even started him now, come to think of it. I think he's only ever been opener. I think it was Faysal who I started and he actually had some success but maybe has since been ruined by the experience.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 - Just checked and ur bullshit meter is pretty high tonight. Campbell was pretty good in his first few seasons - In his first three he pitched 190.3 innings and won 4.1 wars. I don't think his decline had anything to do with starting him (which I don't think I did). I think he just went to shit of his own accord. Ironically though, I think even though he's rated as a two star player this season, he'll still get 30+ saves and win over a war.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Travis7401 - Just checked and ur bullshit meter is pretty high tonight. Campbell was pretty good in his first few seasons - In his first three he pitched 190.3 innings and won 4.1 wars. I don't think his decline had anything to do with starting him (which I don't think I did). I think he just went to shit of his own accord. Ironically though, I think even though he's rated as a two star player this season, he'll still get 30+ saves and win over a war.

Well he has a bunch of game starts somehow, lol. Probably doesn't have any impact on his downturn, but it probably does have some impact on not playing to his full potential.

I mean I still think he was the 5th best player in the draft and you got him at 1-5 so no problem! I do think you could have gotten even more out of him in a stopper role, He could have been pitching 190 per season as a stopper!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Well he has a bunch of game starts somehow, lol. Probably doesn't have any impact on his downturn, but it probably does have some impact on not playing to his full potential.

I mean I still think he was the 5th best player in the draft and you got him at 1-5 so no problem! I do think you could have gotten even more out of him in a stopper role, He could have been pitching 190 per season as a stopper!

This is just complete bullshit. He has game starts because he's an opener. I already told you that. You're suggesting I've given him 90 starts in 5 different years. If I ever started him it was for 3 games.