• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2087 Season Thread

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don’t know what you are even saying here, but I was just using your own words against you :laughing:

Oh I know. My point though is serious. The draft is a fucking bore, because the only elite talent is in the 1-3 and occasionally 4th pick which makes tanking the only way to make urself a 'good' drafter. I'm saying, it doesn't make you good at drafting, because it's not difficult. It just makes everything predictable.

You can pick up decent later round picks, but they pale in comparison to IFAs and scouting discoveries, which is why the draft in conjunction with IFAs completely breaks the game.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Navy blue blanket. Congrats @Soonerfan09

I don't know if we could get to the point where enough actual talent comes in through the draft alone to sustain the league. Everyone after round 3 is a bum- sometimes it's everyone after round 1. In the past I brought up feeder league injuries off but it got shot down- maybe we really should do that.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
I dug into it a little more. The pitching pipeline is still straight up awful, and Aguilor is the 8th best pitching prospect and the top Mules prospect. Munoz is probably better than Marc James, who is a higher rated pitching prospect in the Mules system. So I guess it's an okay haul, it's just that Chief Keef Sosa is so good.

The pitching in the league is still broken. I still think the Feeders are killing it and we should switch over to generated draft classes.

It's also ridiculous that @Travis7401 got 2 of the top 3 prospects by scouting discovery.
Yeah. James stats don't look great compared with Munoz. Ratings are similar. Waiting on a changeup scares me. So went with a further polished arm according to scoutbot.

Aguilor is the wildcard outside of the future picks. Only 3 pitches. None max ovr and he turned 22 few sims back. At worst he's another follower arm.

2 others on the list, but settled upon a quantity pkg vs. 1-2 WBL guys that I doubt he'd part with.

In all, both sides are pleased. We have some action to get us through a Friday and its a holiday weekend to let loose.

giphy.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Not that anyone will listen to me, but I wouldn't ditch IFAs, just boost the draft pool to the point at which we didn't just get 2-3 guaranteed good players each year. Sorts out tanking and also puts more emphasis on good drafting rather than socuting/IFA/FA. If it's possible to get more boom/bust through rounds 1-3 that would be good too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Not that anyone will listen to me, but I wouldn't ditch IFAs, just boost the draft pool to the point at which we didn't just get 2-3 guaranteed good players each year. Sorts out tanking and also puts more emphasis on good drafting rather than socuting/IFA/FA. If it's possible to get more boom/bust through rounds 1-3 that would be good too.
I'm confused how more good players puts an emphasis on good drafting. I also feel like IFA are pretty high boom or bust.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Navy blue blanket. Congrats @Soonerfan09

I don't know if we could get to the point where enough actual talent comes in through the draft alone to sustain the league. Everyone after round 3 is a bum- sometimes it's everyone after round 1. In the past I brought up feeder league injuries off but it got shot down- maybe we really should do that.

Says the HAVE

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I'm confused how more good players puts an emphasis on good drafting. I also feel like IFA are pretty high boom or bust.

IFA is good boom bust, which is what makes it better than drafting. Can you really not see how a deeper draft with more boom/bust wouldn't make it more interesting? As I said twice before now, the draft only has 1-3 good players every year at the top, which are taken by the tankers, and the rest are filler, and hardly ever as good as IFAs and scouting discoveries. There's no balance. You either tank, or concentrate on IFA/discoveries/FA. The draft is not the source of talent in the league that it should be.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
What you're calling boom/bust is completely out of our hands. You're better off yelling at the indydevs mobile app developers.

I just didn't know what can be done with the controls. I still think we should have more talent in the draft if it can be mustered up, just to try and discourage tanking, and also to address the balance of talent.

Anyway, all this is fucking pointless, as we'll have a big discussion and then decide not to do much about anything.... And everyone will blame it on me or something.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
@doh Does the occasional indy player pop up in FA from time to time like in years past? You used to snag a gem like every cot damn September 3 or 4 years running.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
What you are saying doesn’t work

Ditch feeder leagues and increase the talent pool in the draft. It's not going to work worse than what we've got now. The IFA/scouting arguments are void. I'm a have not and get good prospects from both. I don't want to see them go.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
In the past I brought up feeder league injuries off but it got shot down- maybe we really should do that.
This is it to me. The feeder league injuries + innings are putting tons of miles on the kids arms.

I have a guy (Juan Vargas) who was selected 6th overall. Had a lot of potential. But had bone chips when he was 16 (plus threw 400 innings before he was 18). I should have looked at injuries and not drafted him but he was a lemon.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Turn off in HS only. Or are injuries sort of split tween the 2? Or is a thing even doable? Having only 1 feeder with injuries on/off.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
You can ditch feeder leagues and fix pitching. This will not fix the distribution of talent in the league, though. The HAVES get better IFAs than HAVE NOTS. The only way to get some darn rebuild cycles around the teams that have been on top forever is to do what every other online league does and only have talent coming through the draft. This will also spice up Free Agency and trades because there will be actual talent issues with top teams in 5-10 seasons, creating more demand for young talent or those first time free agency GOATS.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
@doh Does the occasional indy player pop up in FA from time to time like in years past? You used to snag a gem like every cot damn September 3 or 4 years running.
Yeah I don't think they just show up to individual teams (like old IFA did) too. They're realistic too (almost all RP with high stuff/nothing else or 1B/DH types which is what youd find in REEL life Indy).

I have signed a few:

Steve Holmes (gr8 stuff, nothing else)
Franklyn McLymont (LHP a little better than Holmes, on my WBL roster)

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
You can ditch feeder leagues and fix pitching. This will not fix the distribution of talent in the league, though. The HAVES get better IFAs than HAVE NOTS. The only way to get some darn rebuild cycles around the teams that have been on top forever is to do what every other online league does and only have talent coming through the draft. This will also spice up Free Agency and trades because there will be actual talent issues with top teams in 5-10 seasons, creating more demand for young talent or those first time free agency GOATS.

No they don't. I've got a few great IFAs and scouting discoveries. I mean, I don't disagree with you completely, but I'm literally going to the playoffs on scouting discoveries and IFAs.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
No they don't. I've got a few great IFAs and scouting discoveries. I mean, I don't disagree with you completely, but I'm literally going to the playoffs on scouting discoveries and IFAs.

You are going to the playoffs because you were one of maybe 8 people playing and there are 8 playoff slots. I'm not sure why this is complicated.

Talent going through draft = HAVE NOTS getting handed the talent
Talent going through draft and IFA = HAVE NOTS getting handed some talent and everyone getting handed some talent

So, killing IFA would significantly improve the talent distribution to HAVE NOTS.

I'm only in the cellar because I love doing a bunch of things that are not optimal (Irish natives, tanking, drafting high, sticking with a CORE team as long as I can).

Seoul and Moscow and other teams that want to win every single year just do. It should be harder. Minmaxers rule this league and it should be balanced.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
The only real way to know is duplicate the file, turn off feeders and run the sim to see what happens. Ur talking about college and HS right? I want to say it will just delete them all and the draft will go back to randomly generated kids.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
You are going to the playoffs because you were one of maybe 8 people playing and there are 8 playoff slots. I'm not sure why this is complicated.

Talent going through draft = HAVE NOTS getting handed the talent
Talent going through draft and IFA = HAVE NOTS getting handed some talent and everyone getting handed some talent

So, killing IFA would significantly improve the talent distribution to HAVE NOTS.

I'm only in the cellar because I love doing a bunch of things that are not optimal (Irish natives, tanking, drafting high, sticking with a CORE team as long as I can).

Seoul and Moscow and other teams that want to win every single year just do. It should be harder. Minmaxers rule this league and it should be balanced.

I get what you're saying, but I'm personally not after a completely level playing field for the sake of all else. I'm one of the few people in the league that just enjoy playing without really competing. I mean, surely you've noticed that I would have given up a long time ago if this weren't the case. I quite like the challenge of finding a good IFA, when the big teams just grab the obvious. I would love to see the draft improved though, as it would add more balance.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
The only real way to know is duplicate the file, turn off feeders and run the sim to see what happens. Ur talking about college and HS right? I want to say it will just delete them all and the draft will go back to randomly generated kids.

Yeah. Basically what happens if we just ditched the feeders- would the draft automatically improve to keep talent up? Do we need to pitch in for some adderall?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
From what I can remember the talent was much easier controlled through a no-feeder system. You can tune the draft talent to whatever you want the league wide distribution to look like. If no settings have been switched it should be pretty seemless and after 5-10 seasons the league will rubberband back to have some goats. You can also just up the talent settings and keep feeders (I'm in favor of cutting them out tho)

If it were me I'd delete feeders and sim 10-15 seasons just to get a look at what the settings provide given I last tested it on like OOTP16 or 17

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Pretty sure we turned them on when they came out in a new version and they just auto populated so I'm going to tentatively say yes. The talent side was kind of a bitch to get right but I could be misremembering that. As the new versions have come out they may have added more settings/options that may have dilluted the talent in the league.

Wolfman21

i'm fine with changing the draft if tests occur and it works. However, and this is purely for selfish reasons, i ask that the change, if its made, be made for the 2088 draft...since i've traded a solid pitcher prospect and a draft pick to move up in this years draft.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I mean we never really did get the talent side "right" anyway... so many trog bats and terrible pitching. Almost every GOAT position player and most pitchers have been IFA.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I haven't played in 5 years I didn't think I had a pw still. baseball doesn't work