• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2088 Offseason Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
OSA has him as the 7th best pitcher in the game (and he's 22 so he'll get better).

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
i might have the one team where he wouldn't have the value that hes gonna cost. He would be my #4 pitcher going into next season, and after Frank Simmons makes it to the league, he would fall to my #5, lol.
Me too, but it’s because he isn’t a Swede. Not sure what your excuse is :laughing:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think he could be a 4-6 WAR pitcher for sure. If he's "just" a 3.5 WAR guy that's still like top 10 every year in JV.

The truth of the matter is there just aren't good young SPs (IMO because of feeders). I just traded basically a 1st and high 2nd for one -- in our new system where draft picks are worth a lot. So if you can get a 22-year old who looks like a top 10 SP in the league for the next decade plus.... he is extremely valuable.

And adding one more point: I (along with I'm assuming lots of other teams) have a ton of space. No IFA to blow it on so the money for FA's will go up even more.

IFA isn't going to make much difference though. It's only 5.5m more to spend. It still amazes me that I got Wani Layar without any kind of competition a couple of seasons ago.

To me to me, it looks like good drafting is going to be the key to success with the new system, as there could be a shit load of overpriced players out there and the drafts are going to be deep. High value contracts aren't going to trade for picks that well. It probably makes some sense for you to pay that kind of money on nearly elite FAs, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that's what's going to make the league tick.

doh

Lol. OSA has Munoz as the second best catcher in the league and we all know that isn't true.
Yeah OSA rankings aren't perfect (they have Calhau 15th and he's been 1st or 2nd in WAR last 5 healthy years)... but the point being that SP would be a top 3 pick in a draft. For a team like mine that traded away our picks/never has high picks, someone like that just doesn't come along for "free".

Kinda like "Free" Transfers though: the wages will be driven up big time.

(That reminds me to buy FM21 to sit on my computer idle for a year)

doh

BTW -- nice job by @Yankee151 to swoop up on those 2 other pro IFA SP's. I wish I saw Okpara... Luh his skills (LHP, high movement) and Zipro as a DURABLE with high stamina could be a 210 IP eater at above avg quality for a while.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Yeah OSA rankings aren't perfect (they have Calhau 15th and he's been 1st or 2nd in WAR last 5 healthy years)... but the point being that SP would be a top 3 pick in a draft. For a team like mine that traded away our picks/never has high picks, someone like that just doesn't come along for "free".

Kinda like "Free" Transfers though: the wages will be driven up big time.

(That reminds me to buy FM21 to sit on my computer idle for a year)

Well, it's interesting to see what will happen, which is good. At least we're entering uncharted territory rather than walking in circles over and over again. To this end I would be in favour of league changes more often just to keep it fresh. It's always possible to go back to an old system. This game isn't exactly thunderously exciting, so changes make it more fun for me.

I'm hoping we enter a phase of the league that's draft heavy/leaning. I think it's entirely possible with the new system. Obviously rich teams are going to be able to hoover up out of contract players, but it's better than a system where poor teams haven't even got access to decent players.

Since I joined the league, I've been drafting in an impossible 5-8 position in the league which isn't low enough to have been winning a lot, but is low enough to miss out on the incredibly slim pickings of elite draft talent. The wealthy teams over the last 10 seasons have still been able to trade or pay for elite talent, but I have had zero access other than limited IFA and discoveries (and trying to outsmart for late round talent). Old IFA doesn't attract me much, as I don't want to tank/contract budget to afford bidding wars, as this diminishes my potential to build a solid team. I much prefer the opportunity to draft some good players for once in the mid rounds and steadily build my team without having to tank/contract.

I don't think the new system penalises or restricts the bigger teams, but I do strongly believe that it makes life a little less tiresome for people like me who aren't in to tanking/financial contraction. To me to me those methods can be effective, but now with extremely established 'haves' is just a trog cycle.

doh

Was there ever a bigger contract? The most recent huge one I can remember was 7/183 for Nava and this one might double that.

jdlikewhoa

Was there ever a bigger contract? The most recent huge one I can remember was 7/183 for Nava and this one might double that.
I think I paid that one Kershaw type pitcher $50m a year in the UBL days? Dude was a GOAT in the regular season, but was like 0-8 with 8.+ ERA in the postseason

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I am glad that @hayvis finally admitted he couldn’t figure out how to manage a budget so we had to dumb down the game to make it more fun for him.

This is why I love you @jdlikewhoa . You're always kind to me. Everyone else is thinking of hisself. JD is just thinking about Hayvis.

But point of correction - I think I've been perfectly honest since day one about not being able to add up.

Last edited:

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
giphy.gif

no new file? oh fluff!

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Good thing I planned on spending the day smoking crack and watching MASHNUL instead of bidding up bums out of boredom. The crack dealers in SE RKE tank you Komrade Karl.