• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

228 Ways to the Winter Meetings! The 128th Annual Winter Meetings in FORTALEZA, BRAZIL!

NML

In my experience, he would’ve went for A LOT more than $5.5m. I certainly would’ve bid more. So with no cap, Karl either punts a huge amount to get the one guy or he loads up on more mediocre prospects.

They way it’s set now, any elite prospects can’t sign with bad team - which seems like the opposite of what you’d want.

NML

Why can’t elite prospects sign with a bad team?

If a player is worth more than the cap, they (likely) will get multiple offers - and when that happens, naturally they are going to choose the best team. We only have a sample size of one for the league but this makes intuitive sense (like Radpants said).

NML

This was my whole point all along - UK had to be awful for a whole year to get the #1 overall pick. You have to throw away a season, lose fan interest, lose budget for this year and future years, in order to get a prospect as good as the one Karl got. Even with all that other stuff lost, Fritch’s signing bonus was more than this guy signed for!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
There are 30 something IFA prospects and several of them are elite. There are only 16 teams total and not many of them are elite, and some of the best teams don't have the money to spend on IFA! So maybe you should be more strategic in your bidding and bid max on the 3rd best guy or something and won him instead of being such a dumb motherfucker and blowing ur wad on the best guy when you aren't the best team and then complaining because you're stupid. You stopped playing the game for a year and now you just want to be able to compete with the best team for THIS player? Why should you win that?

The best part about the cap is that these teams only get 1 player instead of half the class, which leaves plenty of great looking prospects for everyone! I mean even Fortaleeza, whatever that is, got some IFAs! UNHEARD OF

NML

Why are you so mad all the time?

Most of this IFA class is replacement level dudes, and you should know that with ur super advanced linear regression formula. Only one dude was a difference maker.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

NML

My god a 35 movement pitcher! A second baseman with 50 range! AND A RELIEVER?

Yankee has surely locked up his farm system for the next decade. Poor Karl and his one MVP-caliber player will have to solider on, somehow

NML

The dude I traded hayvis is better than all of those guys, maybe on par with the dude with an okay bat who would only be a + defender at first base

NML

I could’ve bought third round picks too and accomplished roughly the same thing. What does that have to do with anything?

It’s about the elite players. No one highly values the fringe/lottery ticket guys, in IFA or the draft. They are mostly irrelevant and probably level off in the long run how they pan out.

But it’s the players with high ceilings. Imagine if JD bought Bug for $5m instead of the $70m hit he had to take or whatever. To acquire elite prospects, you should have to give up significant assets - either a season/budget/fan interest that comes with getting a high pick, or destroying ur finances for a year like JD did (or like Karl or whoever would’ve had to in order to get this guy)

If IFA was predictable in the players it produced it wouldn’t be such an issue... but it’s not. Not each season, and not each version of OOTP.

NML

So there was only a single elite player in the whole class is what you are saying?

I don’t know how to respond when you don’t call me a name

I can't tell if you bid everything on the top STARZ player (barely even a corner OF btw) because you are actually stupid enough to believe nobody else with a better team would place a max bid, or if you did it intentionally so that you could complain!

View attachment 8781

There we go!

NML

I can't tell if you bid everything on the top STARZ player (barely even a corner OF btw) because you are actually stupid enough to believe nobody else with a better team would place a max bid

I made this same complaint before and was told two things

1) no one ever would ever use their whole budget on one player

2) who a player signs with is random

NML

1)

The game has dramatically changed since you last played or you haven't noticed... not sure but this is a totally wrong read.

There is no way in hell I am signing one guy for $4m in a hard cap. That is not how IFA works

2 (with some 1 thrown in!)

Might be worth seeing what they do given equal offers from multiple teams?

I really think it's just random, they are choosing various levels of current success/farm system strength/budget etc.

The nice things is that every team is getting a few IFAs with a hard cap, so the playing field is more even. They aren't all signing all at once because teams can only commit so much money to one guy.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
1. So Doh said he wouldn't do it, that's one person. You obviously disagreed with him (BECAUSE YOU DID IT). Did you assume you were just smarter than everyone? I would probably try to do the Yankee plan of grabbing 3-4 dudes, but if I saw a player who I thought really fit I'd probably try to snag them with a full/large bid. IF I did bid max it probably wouldn't be on the top player because I'd assume there was competition.

2. We don't know how the system works, it is a sample size of 1. I would assume each player values different things, but that all of them prefer playing for winners to some degree (they might value opportunity to advance more than winners?) We don't know how the system works, you're just assuming you know because you are sad that you jammed a stick in ur own spokes.

3. There are still almost 30 IFA available and you too can probably sign someone if you manage to get out of your own way.

NML

1) I’ve got about fifty seasons of WBL IFA/trade history that shows that people will do/pay anything for elite prospects and basically disregard talent level equivalent of the third round and below

2) so when you wanted to use it to mock me, it was “HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID TO ASSUME YOU HAD A CHANCE?” but now it’s “well it’s only one player...” Which is it?

NML

I can’t believe how mad you are about this, but just keep calling me stupid since you ur argument makes no sense

You know people don’t value picks after round 2 or even the major league equivalent of a 1-2 WAR player. Yet ur argument is to just load up on them? Again, I could just buy third round picks and accomplish the same thing

You know people want elite prospects. You keep pretending this dude isn’t, but gon head and throw him into the WAR calculator, because you and I both know he’s going to be 4+ WARS. He’s got 65/60/75/60/60 bat, that’s elite. He can be an average fielder in the outfield.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
He's 16 and his bat is 30/30/35/30/25. He has maybe a 30% chance of becoming a stud, a 30% chance of becoming a good WBL player, and a 40% chance of busting.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If a player is worth more than the cap, they (likely) will get multiple offers - and when that happens, naturally they are going to choose the best team. We only have a sample size of one for the league but this makes intuitive sense (like Radpants said).
I’d like to see more data. Personality may play a role too.

NML

Even if you have data (and if ur gonna to make a claim that doesn’t make intuitive sense I think you should), there’s no saying it would’ve carried over to OOTP 20. Or 21, 22, etc.

Because IFA has such high variance - from quality, to bust rate, to how they sign (randomly two versions ago they signed instantly, that was never the case before) - it’s easier to just remove it. Which was my whole point

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Which is exactly what I asked for before we set the cap
I think the cap still has positives if this is true, but it would be difficult to get a lot of data on this. I know in the past FAs have chosen worse teams with similar offers. Not sure about IFA. The fact they sign so fast is dumb too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
26m, wtf?
I don’t know if it’s how things work IRL. Maybe it just never comes up, but old man IFAs signed to contracts shorter than the # of years of control end up arb eligible. I’m sure his previous contract had something to do with this awful amount. He had some success, but wasn’t that great. I don’t know if it’s a glitch, but it’s always been the case.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
If @Karl Hungus would stop playing like a minmax nut that would fix some of these issues.

Get a better roleplay shtick than beating a video game. For example, only target Koreans, pretend to be Brian Sabean, play in a weird stadium and build your team around those properties, or keep a CORE of weirdos together and see how far you can take them. Then we only argue when our philosophies create mutually exclusive scenarios, like ALFIE dying a Distiller even though he's Swedish, instead of arguing over perfect balance.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
If @Karl Hungus would stop playing like a minmax nut that would fix some of these issues.

Get a better roleplay shtick than beating a video game. For example, only target Koreans, pretend to be Sabian, play in a weird stadium and build your team around those properties, or keep a CORE of weirdos together and see how far you can take them. Then we only argue when our philosophies create mutually exclusive scenarios, like ALFIE dying a Distiller even though he's Swedish, instead of arguing over perfect balance.

I'm roleplaying as @doh for right now.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Even if you have data (and if ur gonna to make a claim that doesn’t make intuitive sense I think you should), there’s no saying it would’ve carried over to OOTP 20. Or 21, 22, etc.

Because IFA has such high variance - from quality, to bust rate, to how they sign (randomly two versions ago they signed instantly, that was never the case before) - it’s easier to just remove it. Which was my whole point

I think it'd be easier if you'd just stop pouting and GIT GUD.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
My first round pick dude is STILL not in my org. Any idea what's going on? Going to export here in 20 minutes comrade.