• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

228 Ways to the Winter Meetings! The 128th Annual Winter Meetings in FORTALEZA, BRAZIL!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
4th guy is just a lotto ticket to max out cap spending, but ye

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NML

I think it'd be easier if you'd just stop pouting and GIT GUD.

I just posted that what I thought would happen and was assured wouldn’t happen... actually happened

Maybe it changes some people’s minds, figured it’s worth sharing

Next time I’ll just call you a dumb fuck when you post something I don’t like and call it a day!

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I just posted that what I thought would happen and was assured wouldn’t happen... actually happened

Maybe it changes some people’s minds, figured it’s worth sharing

Next time I’ll just call you a dumb fuck when you post something I don’t like and call it a day!
Seems odd that anyone would assure you a player wouldn’t sign with a team.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
No, you’ve gotta leave them on Otto. How else would you’ll know how good you are at this game?

Don’t worry, y’all are doing a great job driving hayvis off and I’m sure mocking goblue will eventually push him away too. Then it’ll be back to the same seven owners who can circle jerk about how these people keep quitting and take turns winning 115 games

giphy.gif

I must have been on Otto when MIA went and won over 88 games once during my reign as "GM".

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_11826.html

So the best team in the league gets an elite prospect for $5.5m? lol

Who could’ve predicted they would just sign with the best team?!

Did anyone else offer the $5.5m? I honestly don't know. If we could offer more like before, I would have. Dean Bainton signed for me right away because I quadrupled his asking price a few years ago. :dunno:

I forgot about the IFA cap and offered Shalom "Not a MOT" Lieder the max or I would have thrown him $5.5M to end up being a fifth OF in 2088.

I think the cap still has positives if this is true, but it would be difficult to get a lot of data on this. I know in the past FAs have chosen worse teams with similar offers. Not sure about IFA. The fact they sign so fast is dumb too.

To me the cap will be a net positive, to me. Force these HAVES to waste their money on bum ass over 30 FAs or extending homegrown bums instead of buying out the best IFA lottery tickets and mitigating the risk. Gives the HAVE NOTS a chance to score some of these potential studz.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Anyways I just got home from a morning shift so I'll sim later tonight, I only skimmed this thread while at work so if there's cliffnotes let me have em

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also, one more thing about my LOTTO ticket guy.

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports/players/player_10955.html

I signed him for $800k, which is whatever, but what is important is I, and other rebuilding teams, can now do this every year. I don't know if he'll amount to anything, but his personality is good, he's tall with two potential good pitches, so if he gets 10 points in movement, he'll be a solid MR in the future. If not, no biggie, it's just one of 4 guys I signed. But I think taking on 4 guys (especially when targetting personality correctly, or whatever not as smart things you HAVE NOTS value) is better than the one. Imagine two of these guys get ratings bumps, and I trade them for a guy similar to Karl's guy?

We should’ve doubled/tripled the penalty. Not set a cap. That would’ve helped the HAVE NOTS more. But too late, the league is ruined now

This isn't an option, unfortunately

NML

I signed him for $800k, which is whatever, but what is important is I, and other rebuilding teams, can now do this every year. I don't know if he'll amount to anything, but his personality is good, he's tall with two potential good pitches, so if he gets 10 points in movement, he'll be a solid MR in the future. If not, no biggie, it's just one of 4 guys I signed. But I think taking on 4 guys (especially when targetting personality correctly, or whatever not as smart things you HAVE NOTS value) is better than the one. Imagine two of these guys get ratings bumps, and I trade them for a guy similar to Karl's guy?

This all existed before though. At least before, if a HAVE tried to buy everyone, they were getting hit with 100% tax on them. Because of that, they weren’t typically grabbing lottery tickets in IFA

Again, it’s not different than acquiring a bunch of mid to late round picks in the draft. This isn’t revolutionary because we added a cap to IFA

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think of the guys I got, Perez was a back-end 1st rounder, Mihaelescu (6'7 and only throwing 89 now? He'll have 75 stuff by 21) and Ayala were 2nds, and Martinez probably goes in the 5th. The difference with IFA is their age, which leads to extreme volatility both positive and negative (including in fielding ratings), so the lotto ticket aspect is increased. It's hard to replicate this in the draft, because (especially with college guys) what you see is what you get.

Further more, Zheng is very similar to two other prospects still available. The blue power rating for Zheng is great, and enough to carry him if he hits that ceiling, but let's not lock him in as a perennial all-star yet.

The price cap argument is valid, so maybe we explore something like 7.5M. But at the end of the day, the more cap room you give the more prospects big teams can buy. It's better to buy 4 of the Top 10 prospects than the Top 1 guy (not saying I did this, but if we increased to 10M, this would happen) due to the volatility, or at the very least it breaks near even. There's definitely a game-theory chart to this, though I'm unsure what the total optimal play is, I think it's somewhere between "sign 10 500K guys" and "sign 1 guy"

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My boss just today told me "NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE" when I told him it was impossible to put a ditch through the side of a steep AF mountain where he wants me to put a ditch so that we can avoid putting in a tunnel. I had to revise my statement that it was possible, but that the ditch would look suspiciously like a tunnel... just without a top!

I feel like I'm having these sorts of conversations a lot lately! Good thing I like my boss.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have never had a truly good IFA player and I have purchased more IFA than just about anyone. Well I did have a HOF IFA pitcher, but I traded him! The hit rate on all these GOATS is certainly <50%.

I paid like $30M for RIGGER SLAYER and he topped out at like 45 Power instead of 65 power, and his contact dropped too!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Anyways I just got home from a morning shift so I'll sim later tonight, I only skimmed this thread while at work so if there's cliffnotes let me have em

Cliff notes - The usual - Someone said something, then someone else didn't like what they said, others took sides, then someone else posted some schtick about it, then this circled around, people threatened to quit, a bit more schtick and then as you were.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I have never had a truly good IFA player and I have purchased more IFA than just about anyone. Well I did have a HOF IFA pitcher, but I traded him! The hit rate on all these GOATS is certainly <50%.

I paid like $30M for RIGGER SLAYER and he topped out at like 45 Power instead of 65 power, and his contact dropped too!
On the flip side, I never had a decent discovery. At least that I recall.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I mean he was a legit fucking prospect! 80 range with 80 turn DP and with all his other fielding stats in the 60s as well...

he had a bat that was like 50/55/65/40/55. 65 Power is fuckin STRONK for an 80 range IF. Like 1 OSA update later and he was some BUM.
1566592180991.png

I mean that fuck WOOLY was probably destroying all my players at that point, so who knows!?!

NML

I think of the guys I got, Perez was a back-end 1st rounder, Mihaelescu (6'7 and only throwing 89 now? He'll have 75 stuff by 21) and Ayala were 2nds, and Martinez probably goes in the 5th. The difference with IFA is their age, which leads to extreme volatility both positive and negative (including in fielding ratings), so the lotto ticket aspect is increased. It's hard to replicate this in the draft, because (especially with college guys) what you see is what you get.

Further more, Zheng is very similar to two other prospects still available. The blue power rating for Zheng is great, and enough to carry him if he hits that ceiling, but let's not lock him in as a perennial all-star yet.

The price cap argument is valid, so maybe we explore something like 7.5M. But at the end of the day, the more cap room you give the more prospects big teams can buy. It's better to buy 4 of the Top 10 prospects than the Top 1 guy (not saying I did this, but if we increased to 10M, this would happen) due to the volatility, or at the very least it breaks near even. There's definitely a game-theory chart to this, though I'm unsure what the total optimal play is, I think it's somewhere between "sign 10 500K guys" and "sign 1 guy"

I don’t think there’s a “one size fits all answer” which is why I believe removing it is best (and significantly easier to maintain)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I mean just look at that! The bottom of the ditch would be 75' below the existing ground. By the time you use even 3:1 side slopes (steep AF) you'd have a cross section that is like 500 feet wide. I'm tombout 2 MILLION CUBIC YARDS OF CUT!

1566592421255.png

1566592758303.png

This looks like shit even if you past Douglass' stats over it

1566592897595.png

And yet this ditch is only the 2nd stupidest thing I've seen today after NML's IFA strategy!

jdlikewhoa

The cap is better than eliminating IFA altogether. Itll be interesting to see what happens when everyone uses their cap and there’s still 25 IFAs though. Does the cap not apply once the season starts?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
They just disappear into the aether, I think

In the sims I did it was never a problem as every guy signed, though idk if they drop demands after a time or not

NML

YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER.

instead of being such a dumb motherfucker and blowing ur wad on the best guy when you aren't the best team and then complaining because you're stupid.

because even Yankee isn't as stupid as you

you are actually stupid

That might be the best part of NML's dick tripping

And yet this ditch is only the 2nd stupidest thing I've seen today after NML's IFA strategy!

Jesus fucking Christ dude. Get some help