• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Air Raid Offense

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Good stuff here. I still run this in my passing game, but I run a Pro Spread Raid bastardized offense.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Good stuff here. I still run this in my passing game, but I run a Pro Spread Raid bastardized offense.

My passing game is pretty much the core air raid concepts as well. Touched on it in the Drop Back section of my Spread-I write up but all these staple air raid passing concepts have managed to find their way into just about every playbook.

There was a good discussion on the old board about what makes an offense air raid or spread to run and why one is better than the other. If you really start boiling down the key pieces of some of these offenses, you'll notice a ton of similarities. Mike Leach and Gus Malzahn have the exact same pass plays, literally identical in both playbooks, the difference comes in the usage.

You can be air raid and still have a good run game, you can be super duper spread option and still have a great pass game. The great thing about all these air raid concepts is that they are pretty much universal. Any offensive style can get use out of these plays. Doesn't matter if you pass 50 times or pass 15 times.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Marshall is a pretty interesting team to follow. You should try checking out some of their stuff.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Going to watch this now.

Haven't seen any Raid staples out of their first two possessions outside of Hitch Seam (isn't really a staple per se but it is used).

Three possessions in, seen 5 wide, 10 personnel, and 11 personnel. 3 straight runs after a PI call for a TD. They're saying Cato checks to all the runs but they're averaging over 200 yards a game so I dunno. Maybe the defenses in the C-USA are just really bad.

Last edited:

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
I remember watching the game and I recall seeing a good number of "air raid" plays. I'll watch it just to confirm, lol. Plus it was a really good game.

Is Cato returning? I assume he is. Can't wait to watch his senior year.

Edit: their very first play was stick from 5 WR. Probably one of the most popular quick game plays these days, as well as a "staple" of the raid. :Winking:

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I've only watched the first 3 possessions thus far so I'm sure you're right.

Cato is back.

God dammit haha, I thought it was Stick but I doubted myself. The slants looked kind of weird so I wasn't sure. They ran 5 WR Stick again for the first TD later but it looks like both WRs use a double move on their slants.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
#3 runs a slant, #2 ran a fake to the outside with a pivot inside that destroyed Maryland's defense, lol.

Their first play was stick out of 5 wide, the second play was another play I see Oklahoma State run a lot, but I don't quite know what it's called. It is sort of like levels but #1 makes an in cut and then sits after going about 4 yards vertical. #2 makes an in cut after anywhere between 8 and 12 yards, and #3 (since it was 5 wide) just ran vertical.

OSU does this out of 2x2 but they don't mirror it. Instead they pair it with Smash or stick.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They've run 6's out of 11 personnel or 5 wide a decent amount where the inside guy runs that post/vertical type route.

Cato got called for signaling first down lol, ridiculous

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Finished the game. Looks like Marshall is of the new Raid school which involves a lot of more running. More deep passes as well, I don't think I ever saw them run a shallow concept. That Taliaferro kid is a great Raid back. They based out of either 11 personnel or 5 wide almost the entire game, pretty interesting that they didn't really seem to like to go 4 wide. I would guess it's because they want Hoskins on the field as much as possible. I wonder why they don't utilize Cato in the run game much if they're going to go that spread-raid route.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Because they don't need to. Don't forget that to implement more QB run game, they have to detract from something else in their practice time. Cato doesn't need to have a QB run game to help his passing, as he's pretty good at throwing the ball. Their running game is obviously pretty decent too, so that helps his throwing without having to sacrifice his body.

Shallow Cross just isn't as popular as it used to be with 'raid teams. Defenses are getting much better at defending Shallow by basically forcing the throw to the drag and dropping it as soon as it's caught.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Fair enough.

Yeah, seems like Leach is the only one who runs it consistently anymore. I actually saw Maryland run Mesh haha, they got sacked on it though.

They must have run this one PA Verticals play 10+ times, Hoskins was just abusing whoever was on him.

dubvcrazy

Fellow raider here. I use the default WVU playbook and basically run my offense as Dana would. Probably pass a little more than the balance Dana likes.

On the Marshall subject, I really really like watching them play (yes I just said that). Their offense is a blast to watch and Cato is a stud. I like using their playbook in NCAA too, if I'm feeling a spread/raid type of thing.

And are you guys on PS3 or xbox? I'm on PS3, and if you all are feel free to add me on there and we can play sometime. PSN is the same as my username on here

purple112

Go Berzerk
Good to hear.

Currently I am, but I'm transferring to OU next semester. Gonna pursue Meteorology and football during my time there. Should be fun!
What are you doing for football? Are you playing club/trying to walk on/get into corching?

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
What are you doing for football? Are you playing club/trying to walk on/get into corching?
For football I want to work with a local HS and evaluate my progress over the next few years (while doing undergrad). Personally, I don't want to coach at the HS level because that almost requires that I teach at that level/have a job with the school.

So like I posted I'm wanting to volunteer/work with a local HS for the rest of my undergrad. At the end, I'll evaluate the progress I've made, the potential in the future, and whether I have any networking or not to help that out and make a decision. Not really sure where that will all get me, but like I said I'll evaluate that over time.

Also, I will run/participate in intramural FF teams each season. The first season was fun, even if it was a failure.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Speaking of intramural FF, I'm already pretty excited about it. Since I'll be doing traditional dorms at OU for my first year there, I'll get a better opportunity at creating a team with kids I'll get to know early on, meaning better chemistry.

Offensively it will be a lot of air raid stuff: Shallow, Stick, Y Corner, Levels/Stick, Stick/Rocket, Verts, Fade Out, and a few others all at my disposal. I'm really banking on being able to effectively play QB because I pretty much have everything played out in my head and know what to look for and it would allow me to use more of the offense. If I have to use someone else at QB I may have to simplify it but oh well. We'll have two running plays: One is inverted Veer and the other is a jet sweep touch pass.

I explained on Oldtopia but because blocking is so hard/regulated we'll basically run the DBs off and if the DBs don't honor the WRs running vertical, the WR (now uncovered) will stop at about a depth of 10 or so yards, give or take a few. They may even keep going if we have that kind of timing, but we'll throw it to them. It's a pretty simple but (I hope) highly effective concept.

If the running game is actually effective I will incorporate a few PA concepts, including Double Posts. Would really be awesome to play a team that used at least one zone coverage and a few other coverages.

Defensively I would like to run Quarters, Man (with a few variations), Cover Two (pretty easy to run actually), Cover Three (a few variations/rush packages) and a pressure look that is basically a carry-first-threat zone blitz. That pressure look is really high risk/reward though and I'd have to seriously consider what type of players I had.

That will be a true test for me, and I really look forward to it whether I get to play or not.

/end rambling

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Working with high school programs.
Contact them. Just offer to volunteer and work as hard as you can, and the opportunities will follow (if you display good ability).

I would first contact the smaller schools. They're the ones who need more help and you will probably get an actual "coaching" position faster there. I mean while I was a senior in HS I got to work with defensive backs and special teams, and that was because of how small my school was and how few coaches we had. Of course I started out doing film, but as they see you work hard, they'll get to know you and the opportunities will come.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I don't think I could be in any sort of coaching role right now lol. I'll look around for schools.

TheSystem

Still lurking.. and more importantly still RAIDIN... thanks for updating the links especially to wckd's original original thread that made me go gaga juice over this offense....

GUNS MF UP

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Just to try new stuff I've decided to get my raid on at Texas Tech in BSCFL. Still a work in progress. I had a playbook but have not been able to use it in a game.

It's not really a "by the book" air raid. Half Pistol, a bunch of Empty, utilizes a TE quite a bit (at least for this season). Still have a somewhat competent run game. Like my Spread-I, I need to work on just stripping this thing down to the core pieces. My initial playbook was 25 formations, Mike Leach would stab me with a plastic cocktail sword for such a thing.

I need to be a bit more like @bruin228, he is pretty much as core raid as it gets these days. Handful of the main concepts, handful of core formations.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
How do you feel about Dykes and Franklin's offense? I would imagine that would be best suited towards you.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
That's similar to what I had in mind. Quite a bit of Pistol including 2-3 backs and a bit more dynamic run game than just 70 pass attempts a game. I just don't want to get formation and concept heavy. Stick, Cross, Shallow/Drive, Smash, Verts and a screen game.

I just don't think I can get away with a 80%+ pass offense. I'm not a good enough passer and I don't have enough athleticism to get away with it. I also have a really athletic QB (this year and again next year after he graduates).

I'm kind of thinking something like:

Pistol Full House
Pistol Strong Slot
Pistol Weak Slot
Pistol Spread/Spread Flex
Pistol Trips 4WR/Open

Gun Split Slot
Gun Spread
Gun Trips
Gun Trips Wk

And 3-4 versions of Gun Empty/Quads.

I'm waffling on tight end formations though. My TE now is great so I would like to use him as both a traditional TE and WR. I would also like to have some QB Power/Draw in there. I might add in a few Pistol Wing formations and Empty Wing Trio to satisfy that.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well I put a preliminary playbook together and hate it so going to try again. Ended up with way too many concepts and formations.

Pistol: Train, Full House, Strong Slot, Weak Slot, Slot Flex Wing, Wing Offset, Spread, Trips 4WR, Trips Open.

Gun: Slot Offset, Split Slot, Spread, Trips, Trips Wk, Empty Spread, Empty Quads, Empty Trey TE, Empty Wing Trio, 5WR, 5WR Trio.

I like the Pistol part, the Gun part not so much. I do want a competent run game and also a play action game, sort of like what Holgorsen did at OSU. If I didn't want a little bit of a QB run game, I probably wouldn't have the Gun stuff at all.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@bruin228 do you have your air raid playbook posted on the playbook website that I could look at? Or could you give me a little run down at what you have?

I need to redo this, 21 formations and 300 plays is ridiculous lol.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
@bruin228 Very nice book. What's your reasoning behind having all the 2x2 alignments? I know some have plays others do not, but you have ~15 plays each.

Just like to move the RB around and the WR alignment around. Some routes work better when the wideout is on the LOS as opposed to off. I could honestly probably dump Spread and not miss it but the other three I enjoy switching between and just mixing it up.

The HB alignment has been really crucial lately because of the defenses I face in ODs. I hit the settle route on the Shallow Cross series a lot and I want that guy to have as much grass to work with as possible so I'll align him away from the sideline.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This would be really easy if I wanted to just be Gun. I'd have 2 or 3-2x2, 2-3x1, 2 or 3-Empty and call it a day but I think Pistol can be huge for a pass first offense. I love how Draw feels in Pistol as opposed to Gun and I think being able to quick check to a straight down hill dive/slam if I'm seeing Nickel/Dime personnel and 2 high safeties. Not sure traditional gun gives you that run threat, a lot slower to get down hill. I want both, I just don't want to be stuck with one or the other.

I don't want a huge run game, but I'd like to be able to run some Speed Option to stress the perimeter a bit. Maybe some Jet to replicate that little tap/shovel play a bunch of teams have been running. I've got a perfect guy at TTU to do it with.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
This would be really easy if I wanted to just be Gun. I'd have 2 or 3-2x2, 2-3x1, 2 or 3-Empty and call it a day but I think Pistol can be huge for a pass first offense. I love how Draw feels in Pistol as opposed to Gun and I think being able to quick check to a straight down hill dive/slam if I'm seeing Nickel/Dime personnel and 2 high safeties. Not sure traditional gun gives you that run threat, a lot slower to get down hill. I want both, I just don't want to be stuck with one or the other.

I don't want a huge run game, but I'd like to be able to run some Speed Option to stress the perimeter a bit. Maybe some Jet to replicate that little tap/shovel play a bunch of teams have been running. I've got a perfect guy at TTU to do it with.

The HB Dive out of Spread Flex is a great quick hitter in the run game as well as Inside Zone in Shotgun Trips and Shotgun Spread Flex Wk. What is your run/pass ratio going to look like?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
The HB Dive out of Spread Flex is a great quick hitter in the run game as well as Inside Zone in Shotgun Trips and Shotgun Spread Flex Wk. What is your run/pass ratio going to look like?

If I had to estimate, about 60-40 pass. After this QB graduates, probably closer to 70-30. I'm really liking some of the stuff I can do in Pistol, Pistol is nice if you don't rely on the slow ass Read Option.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

First game with my true air raid playbook was a success. Ended up throwing 22 of 24 for 372 yards and 5 TD and running 28 times for 131 yards and 2 TD. I was running the clock most of the second half which got my run attempts pretty high. All but 2 of the 52 snaps were from the Pistol.

Until the second half, I probably spent the entire game in Pistol Spread and Pistol Trips 4WR/Open. Had a lot of success in 3x1 just because I was inexplicably seeing a bunch of 7-8 man boxes and even 1-5-5. For the most part it was Bubble/WR Screens, Verticals and Shallow (Y/Z). Didn't run Stick at all, no Mesh and ran Smash once (As Fade Smash).

I ran this play quite a few times:

NCAA13_PISTOL_TRIPS_OPEN_Slot_Corner.jpg

That's a really nice play, especially against users who try cover Bubble screens by themselves. It looks like Bubble and then all of a sudden that outside guy is coming wide open. Threw it 2-3 times as well as Inside Switch from the same formation, which is a similar concept but Post instead of that corner.

Run game gets a little dicey in Pistol at times. Wing and two back stuff is solid but one back Pistol runs are slowwwwwww.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@TXHusker05 China with the bubble underneath is one of my favorite plays.

You can also create shallow, drive, and others with that play for added mayhem. :devil:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Damn I didn't even think about using that as a base to hot route other plays. Yeah Shallow/Drive and even Mesh would be easily doable there.

Played Flann tonight in the same OD, offense wasn't as good but still won. I only had 214 yards although a few INT gave me the short field a few times. I'm finding it very difficult to run the ball. Part of that is personnel, I have slow ass tailbacks.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I never seem to be able to run that well out of Full House. I hit an Off Tackle play for a 27 yard TD vs Ramesu in one game but that was it in either game. I ran 15 times for 15 yards against Flann. Some of it was pretty bad luck, I had him beat on a Pistol Train Power Option (flipped). Optioned off the read guy and there was just 1 guy to beat with a blocker literally standing right in front of him and that blocker just ran right past. That was a 3rd & Short to essentially win the game, failed and ended up needing a defensive stop at the other end to hold on.

I have the slowwwwest HBs at Texas Tech which is part of the problem. Pistol is already slow to the line and that doesn't help matters. I like Wing Offset and Wing Trips for running, but it can be hit or miss.