• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Berlin Bomber Bears

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Just gonna post stuff as it comes into my head or what have you. Maybe some analysis as I try to make moves.

Going into 2044 we're really pushing the budget as the owner has basically taken away the check book and we're about 25M in the deficit due to a few abysmal contracts that we're already with the team before we took over. One of those contracts was Rafael Lans, who retired from the WBL after his contract expired in the offseason. Orrel Muhin is our other bad contract, but he at least provides value in the middle of the lineup. On the pitching side, we sent Bing Liu, one of our better young arms to Moscow for a package of bats. We cleared a little money on this deal, but the Binger's contract demands we're outside my comfort level, so it made sense to try to fix things now.

The 2 ML bats we got back for Liu were Francisco Sanchez and Aurelio Valencia. Both guys best position is DH, but only one guy can take that spot for us. Sanchez is a free agent after this year so if the season goes south early, we'd probably try to flip him for budget relief. Valencia is still on a league minimum contract but will reach arbitration eligibility during the year, so we'll see how he does for us. Valencia hit 40 HRs between AAA and the majors last year so he should be good for 25+ for us. Sanchez needs to be more consistent, and hopefully he can re-find his 2042 form.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Spring Training pitching Outlook

We're taking 13 pitchers to camp with us and are gonna use a 6 man rotation to get a look at some guys.

Randy Hapgood - The Snuffleupagus. He didn't have a great year for us last year, but he was a workhorse for us, going to the mound 40 times for us and lead the WBL in batters faced and innings pitched. He's got a great slider, but he has to keep the ball down as his HR rate has gone up dramatically the last 2 seasons. He's locked in contractually for 4 more seasons, so he's not going anywhere.

Husam al Din Kardal - Another guy who pitched a ton for us. Didn't have a great 2043, as he lost 20 games, but he did start 39 games for us and was 2nd in the league in batters faced. He's gonna try to mix in a great changeup with his good fastball and fool batters. He'll be a free agent after this year, so he is a candidate to be on the move.

Jung-sik Kim - Lead the WBL in losses last year with 21. Really needs to improve his control and his salary is more than we'd like for our #3 starter. Lead the league in walks surrendered last year.

Dünya Rustu - He pitched out of the pen for us last year and was effective in that role. We'll give him a shot to see if he can impress us in spring training, otherwise he'll probably slot in as our 6th/7th inning guy in the pen.

Yan Bouland - Sweet mustache on this guy. Had a really good year last year between AA and AAA. He doesn't have an elite pitch, but he does have 4 plus pitches. He's only 22 years old, but he might be at his physical peak right now. He'd have to have a disatrous spring to not make the big club.

Jerry Carvalho - If this guy is Pinky, which of our pitchers is the Brain? He's 23, but it took him a few years in AAA to master it. He's got an elite fastball and elite velocity, but he could use a 2nd pitch to be a good major leaguer.

Chae-heui Chang - This guy. He throws 6 pitches, but only 2 of them are any good. Cut that shit out and just work on those 2 pitches and maybe you could be good. Guy has to get better at keeping the ball down as he gave up way too many HRs last year.

Butrus Barakah - This guy reminds me of Mortal Kombat. Great stuff, great movement, but needs to work on his control. Great curvebal, great cutter. He had a bit of a sophomore slump last year, but he could get the closer job back if Chang can't get it together.

Kadidou Mwalimu - He's been used as a starter in the minors, but he doesn't really have the endurance for it on the major league level, so we'll give him a shot in the pen. He's got 3 slightly above average, so he might have a shot in the middle innings.

Álex Román - He's struggled in the majors, but he may have been rushed up too fast. Good fastball, decent slider that flashes the ability to be a great pitch.

Armando Fernández - A long man/ spot starter for us. He doesn't have a single plus pitch, so I'm doubtful he'll make the big club.

Ubadah bin Salah - A hard worker who can give us some quality innings, but he's not gonna be great. Definitely a mop-up guy for us.

Honório Santiro - Has the stamina to start, but not the skill. Our only lefty reliever, we can't use him situationally, but we'll do what we can. Would love to see him try to learn a 3rd pitch, but it's probably too late for that.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
What are some good catchers to talk about? Not the ones on this team.

Zenawi Mungu - The best defender of the bunch. Has a plus arm behind the dish and can play a little first, but his bat is even subpar compared to AAA players.

Donahey Fenemore - Fenemore was our starter last year, and had a nice year at the plate, hitting 15 HRs and doing a good job extending ABs. He's got a good eye at the plate, but won't hit for a great average. Maybe .250 if we're lucky.

Deniska Paseko - Had an okay year in AAA, similar to Fenemore with the glove. I'm not sure I want to carry 3 catchers, and I'd rather have the defense for the long term.

Francisco Chávez - Our first round pick in 2043, he's the future of the position for us. He probably won't be on the team this year, but maybe in 2043.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Infield In-look

We've got a few guys here with some versatility. We'll probably have to shuffle guys around to find the right fit tho.

Orrel Muhin - His contract's not ideal, but it's something we have to deal with. Has that sweet power, and can walk enough. He'll probably be around 260 in average. His D is really gonna struggle tho, but someone has to play first.

Aurelio Valéncia - This guy looks good on paper, but I'm not sure he can actually play. Or he's lazy. He's cheap, and he'll get the first look at DH

Ricardo Rodríguez - He's played more in the outfield for us, but we'll give him a shot at 2B this year. He's not the fastest guy, but knows when to swipe a bag. Can't hit lefties, so we'll have to find a platoon partner for him.

Rien Paauwe - Our super utility guy. Better against righties then lefties, and has some pop, but also swings at a lot of bad pitches. Not fast, but a good baserunner.

Dinh-Hy Cu - Nothing special. Could be Rodriguez's platoon partner at 2B, but i'd probably like someone a little better for that role. Slow and his defense is below average.

Nasir Jalil - Same as everybody else. Nothing special at the plate. His defense is better then the other guys and he works hard. Was okay in split time at SS last year for us.

Son Ha - Super utility. Lazy. I'd probably keep Paauwe over him.

Sashenka Habitsov - Hard worker. No power and isn't gonna get a lot of hits, but he'll get a decent amount of walks if he plays. Defensive liability.

Phil Scheele - Another hard worker. Not as good at the plate as Habitsov, but better D then him. Probably a 50/50 time split between those 2.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Outfield Outlook

We got some of our best hitters back here, but can they stay on the field?

Jorge Martínez - If he can stay on the field, he's an all-star level player. Guy can flat out rake and run. Hit .380 over the last 2 seasons, but he's missed a ton of time. If he's on the field, he'll be in centerfield.

Benny Jones - Our best 1B defensively, but LF is probably his best position overall as he won a Gold Glove there in his rookie campaign. Not a great contact hitter, but has big power and walks enough. His average has gone up each year so far.

Francisco Sánchez - This guy should really be a DH, but that position is filled already, so we're gonna pretend this is little league and hide him in RF. He does have a decent arm if he can get to the ball. Had a really disappointing season in 2043, but maybe the change of scenery will be good for him. He could play 2B in a pinch if we need him to, but I don't think it will happen.

Pedro Baca - Defensive caddy for Sanchez, perhaps. I don' see much here long term.

Téo Thibaut - Another guy who will never be anything more than a fill-in. I'm not sure he'll be on the opening day roster.

Alonso Ruas -Same as everyone else on this team. Hot garbage.

Ron Unknown - a 4A type player. plays well enough in the minors, but probably not good enough for the majors. I don't need this guy blocking a prospect in the minors tho.

Last edited:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
The game has caught hold of mike.. nooooiceee

I loved OOTP back in the day. I'm talking like OOTP3, 4, 5. I think I was in like 6 leagues simultaneously at one point. Game wasn't as complex as it is now doe. I still don't know how the international complex works. I'm assuming those guys eventually become free agents, but at what point?

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
I still don't know how the international complex works. I'm assuming those guys eventually become free agents, but at what point?
Age 20 they automatically move to your lowest minor league team. You can manually move them earlier if you want doe.

Gooksta

Those are for the ultra young international free agents..they stay in the complex until they turn 21..is the youngest 18.. if you think they are ready. You can move em to a ball.. they a regular minor league contract when signed i believe.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Those are for the ultra young international free agents..they stay in the complex until they turn 21..is the youngest 18.. if you think they are ready. You can move em to a ball.. they a regular minor league contract when signed i believe.
Can you try this again because I am not following :laughing:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
He's saying he generally moves them to A when they hit 18. He is wrong on one thing, they move up automatically at 20, not 21. When promoted to A they go on a regular minor league contract (6 years etc until you need to resign or put him on the 40man etc)

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Looking at my farm system for guys who could get a call up this year if guys get hurt, I'd probably say Joe Kenney is at the top of the list. He's probably better then the SS/ 2B/ 3Bs i have right now in the majors, and he looks solid defensively. Not sure I like the idea of jumping him from A ball to the bigs tho. Chavez at catcher is close, but I'd like to see a little more in the minors. Michael Foster could be close too, but there's a log jam at DH and I don't think he could score from 3B on a single. Juriaan Slootweg at catcher might be able to hold down the fort as well. Not many OFs down on the farm to be fair.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I could probably take Poowe from you depending how things shake out. Dump one more player and you can start building again.

Wolfman21

I know the feeling. I had 2 pitchers when I took over Kabul that were both 34+ years of age making over 12 million while posting 4+ ERA's. Luckily, i've moved on from that and they've ran out their contracts and now I have a 38 million dollar payroll, lol.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Hmm. If you have draft budget, you should be able to use it. It's "reserved" away from the normal FA budget. (I think.)

OOTP manual said:
Draft Budget

The draft budget operates independently from the rest of the financesand is "use it or lose it". However, if you exceed your draft budget it will impact on your finances to the extent of that excess

Wolfman21

i know hes not garbage, thats why i'd love to have him. Nobody will trade for garbage. Theres plenty of "not garbage" that has been thrown around that nobody wants.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Trying. No one wants garbage.
You've got a few sims before the draft pick signing deadline.

I feel bad in retrospect. I had to move Sanchez to free up budget for Bing, but I didn't know budget was this tight in Berlin. Will put my thinking cap on tomorrow when I get done teaching.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
So we sent Husam al din Kardal to Australia for a 4th round draft pick. This clears almost 8M off the payroll for this season and moves us a little bit closer to budget neutrality. Our owner loosened the purse strings and will allow us to extend a few players. Right now, I'd like to take that money and get another year out of the Grim Reaper and skip over Benny Jones 2nd year of arbitration.

We're gonna give Illarion Mzhelsky a look in spring training. He had a good year as an overaged AA player last year, and he has good control, but my hope is that he can just eat up innings.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Spring training thoughts

A couple of our batters are really hitting the ball well. Our starting OF is a combined 40 for 113 with 7 HRs. Orrel Muhin also has 6 HRs. Perhaps a good omen.

On the pitching side, the top of our rotation struggled early, but Bouland has looked good in limited work. Barakah hasn't allowed a run in 5 spring appearances, so thats a good sign as we transition him back to the closer spot.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
So we shipped Rien Paauwe to Helsinborg and picked up Abdul-Karim bin Majid. bin Majid won' be much with the bat, but he may be able to stick as a utility IF type. Freeing up another 8M off the budget for a player I wasn't a big fan of is a huge boon for the team, and allowed up to sign 2 of our better offensive players to short term extensions.

We bought out the rest of Benny Jones' arbitration years with a 3 year extension worth 8.4M over 3 years. We also gave Jorge Martinez a 1 year extension, with a team option for year 2. He'll make 5 Million both years if he can stay healthy, which is a great value for a player of his skill level, and a gamble I'll make any day of the week.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
The Panzer Pandas would like to wish the following players the best in their future endeavors:

SP Jung-sik Kim
C Donahey Fenemore
2B Dinh-Hy Cu
3B Sashenka Habitsov

We have extended arbitration offers to the following players:
MR Alex Romain
CL Butrus Barakah
2B/ LF Ricardo Rodriguez

We're at 23M in budget space, and accounting for the almost 6M in negative cash we have, we should have about 14M in place for free agency. I probably won't spend much, but I wouldn't mind signing a reliever and a right fielder.