• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Big 12 Footbaw - It is intramurals brother.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
So here's a thread for my fellow Big 12 brothers (still weird to say) to bitch about our own teams and those in our conference.

I think my biggest question is how well the 3-3-5 and the DickRod offense will fare in Big 12 footbaw in the 2015 season. :thumbsup:

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
If the Treva Knight from da Suga Bow plays for most of the season, then OU will challenge for a playoff spot. If the one that played for most of last season shows up in the majority of games, OU will lose 2 or 3. The defensive line will be ridiculous, doe. Beasts errywhere.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
OSU has a similar outlook at defensive line. We have really good playmakers at DE, which is very encouraging and Calvin Barnett will be replaced by Castleman. Finding a replacement for the position Castleman played might be an issue but we'll see.

The biggest position of concern on either side of the ball is Linebacker. That could legitimately cost us games if the players haven't developed to be a quality starter. QB should be okay, I think Rudolph, if starting, would have the potential to AT LEAST play at the level Chelf did, but with less consistency (and Chelf's consistency wasn't that great).

Let's not pretend that the QB play in 2013 was anything special.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Dallas Morning News predicts OU to go 12-0

It's entirely possible with that schedule, but I think a lot of people (especially OU fans) are still too wrapped up in the Sugar Bowl win. OU is replacing some key players at key positions and we still don't know if Knight can maintain a high level of play for a whole season. Plus there's the chance that Heupel will call another Texas or Baylor game at least once this season.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
It would be pretty cool to match up against an undefeated OU.

It would be even cooler to match up against an undefeated OU and us be in a position to win/tie for the conference shampship. Meh.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
We'll see early. Thursday night game between Tech and Oklahoma State to open conference play.

h7BC085E5

I found this little gem today.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger
Wickline on Shawn Watson, who is older than 40: "It's good to work with a guy who doesn't have a giant ego."

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 2m
.@GSwaim Before the ego answer, Wickline was asked if it was "difficult at all to leave Oklahoma State." He said, "No, it wasn't."

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
This whole mess about Wick is stupid. Who gives a shit any more? When can people move on?

Just makes me want to see us destroy Texas in Stillwater. That would make ego 4 Texas 1 since 2010.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
(CBS) Of the three Division-I football programs in Illinois, only one has an SEC opponent on its schedule this season – or for any upcoming seasons.
And it’s not either of the football programs that play in the Big Ten.
Rather, it’s Northern Illinois.
But that might not happen again for NIU if the SEC has its way (and it usually does), which is why the Huskies should go beyond simply pursuing big-time conference foes and actually start pursuing a big-time conference membership.
In light of college football’s dynamics tilting ever more toward the power conferences, it only makes sense.
Over the past four seasons, NIU has gone 46-10, won two MAC championships, won four division championships and gone to an Orange Bowl, cementing itself as one of the premier mid-major football programs in America. Over that time, the Huskies have also established themselves as not only the Land of Lincoln’s best pigskin program but also its most aggressive when it comes to scheduling non-conference heavyweights.
This coming fall, for example, NIU will travel to SEC turf with a game at Arkansas, never mind that the Razorbacks are coming off a poor season. In 2015, the Huskies will road trip to Big Ten powerhouse Ohio State. Between 2017 and 2023, they’ll travel to Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium four times. And in 2018 and 2020, NIU will play games at Iowa.
For years, the Huskies have behaved like a program willing to take on all comers, even if those foes will no longer come to DeKalb. Since 2008, NIU has beaten major-conference opponents Iowa, Purdue (twice), Kansas and Minnesota. On Sept. 20, the Huskies should have a decent chance of beating Arkansas, their first SEC foe since 2008, when they lost 13-9 to Tennessee in Knoxville.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/wisch-niu-should-push-for-big-12-membership/

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
If by fun to watch you mean WVU will get smashed into a fine paste on the field, then yes, it will be fun to watch.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
What is this? Joe Mixon already done at OU?

Not sure what's going on here- he wasn't arrested or charged, and Norman PD doesn't go easy on the football team. Mixon's lawyer is also begging for the security tapes to be released. Odd situation.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah, I've heard so many conflicting stories here. In any case, he's definitely not seeing the field this year and depending on what happened, might be heading home soon.

bruin

supposedly he wanted to transfer to UCLA after just being in Norman for a week. Was willing to sit out a year. Not happening now.

Wooly

Not sure what's going on here- he wasn't arrested or charged, and Norman PD doesn't go easy on the football team. Mixon's lawyer is also begging for the security tapes to be released. Odd situation.

It's never been same since Switzer left eh?

Lightningwar

Administrator
The funny thing is the truth in that playbook. Even if a kicker kicksoff or punts. Nobody really expects them to tackle.

colb

So with a month until the season starts, how do you fucks think your teams are going to do?
I have no fucking clue.

We were 1 play away from being 11-1 and conference champs last season, despite our God awful offense. Our defense carried us.

But we lost like 8 starters on defense. The young guys are impressive so far, but who knows how they will perform come GameDay.

The offense has the talent to be scary good this season. The question is whether or not our shitty high school offensive coordinator will take advantage.

I do think our defensive coordinator, Glenn Spencer is the real deal. The defense we fielded in 2013 was basically the same guys from 2012. We went from giving up 28ppg in '12, to 18ppg in '13 (best in the Big12). Can't wait to see how he handles this youth though.

I have a feeling we compete with FSU, and keep it close. But for the season I have us at 8-4.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
OU will have possibly (probably?) the best defense in the league. If Knight plays the way he did against Alabama, they can go undefeated, but I doubt it. Prolly 10-2 or 11-1. Undefeated at home.

colb

OU will have possibly (probably?) the best defense in the league. If Knight plays the way he did against Alabama, they can go undefeated, but I doubt it. Prolly 10-2 or 11-1. Undefeated at home.
Nope. 1 loss at home.

Fuck OU, we're winning Bedlam.

(suicide watch if we lose by a late score again).

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I think we'll be better than people think.

Unfortunately, what people think = 3 wins, so getting 4 wins would be meeting that criteria.

I figure we'll upset someone we shouldn't and really shit on someone's good time, but other than that have a rough time. 5 wins, optimistically. Damn that's sad to say.

We're doing well with transfers doe. Had Charles Sims last year, who came in for one year via Houston and was a 3rd round draft pick. This year we have this graduate from Garner-Webb that projects as a 2nd round pick on the d-line. Looks the part.

Speaking of transfers, ty Pitt for Rushel Shell.

Also, someone tell me why our true freshman QB is the strongest QB on our roster. Holgorsen pls.

Last edited:

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
The offense has the talent to be scary good this season. The question is whether or not our shitty high school offensive coordinator will take advantage.
Don't be one of those idiots. There were plenty of reasons for the poor offensive performance last season and Yurcich was far from being the main one. The only game I felt he held us back in (and by that, I actually mean the entire offensive staff because that's how it works) was the Mizzou game. Even then, it wasn't like good or great play calling was going to save us. I don't recall Yurcich fumbling the ball for the Mizzou win. Perhaps it was Yurcich that threw the PI flag on Patmon?

And was the first call against OU good by Yurcich or what? Without that hold it's a touchdown and we probably roll! But I guess we don't credit him for "good" calls. There were plenty of good calls throughout the game, especially early on, but not surprisingly we didn't do shit on half of them because we dropped the ball (literally).
I do think our defensive coordinator, Glenn Spencer is the real deal. The defense we fielded in 2013 was basically the same guys from 2012. We went from giving up 28ppg in '12, to 18ppg in '13 (best in the Big12). Can't wait to see how he handles this youth though.
ppg isn't the best measurement, points per possession is better. I think in that department we were waaaay up there nationally. But yes he and Malone are the real deal and sadly I would expect both to be gone within a few years. Malone is more likely to move on first.

OU will have the best defense in the Big 12 hands down. Probably a top-15 defense nationally.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
TCU will probably be the only competitor for top D in the Big 12. I don't know too much about who returns what at any other schools aside from Oklahoma State. I don't expect Texas to be in the top half because they're a huge mess. The league as a whole is pretty average on defense so I wouldn't be shocked to see Oklahoma State end up in the top-3 for defense in the Big 12.

I do wonder if Oklahoma State could end up having the top offense in the league. Sounds like we have great guys at every position, with only the OL and QB position being potential problems. I hope it all comes together. Can't believe the season is almost here.

Last edited:

colb

Don't be one of those idiots. There were plenty of reasons for the poor offensive performance last season and Yurcich was far from being the main one. The only game I felt he held us back in (and by that, I actually mean the entire offensive staff because that's how it works) was the Mizzou game. Even then, it wasn't like good or great play calling was going to save us. I don't recall Yurcich fumbling the ball for the Mizzou win. Perhaps it was Yurcich that threw the PI flag on Patmon?

And was the first call against OU good by Yurcich or what? Without that hold it's a touchdown and we probably roll! But I guess we don't credit him for "good" calls. There were plenty of good calls throughout the game, especially early on, but not surprisingly we didn't do shit on half of them because we dropped the ball (literally).
ppg isn't the best measurement, points per possession is better. I think in that department we were waaaay up there nationally. But yes he and Malone are the real deal and sadly I would expect both to be gone within a few years. Malone is more likely to move on first.

OU will have the best defense in the Big 12 hands down. Probably a top-15 defense nationally.
Our offense finished, what, 48th in the country? Yeah, you're right... I'm an idiot. And who said anything about play calling?

I don't recall having the insane amount of fundamental problems under Monken, Holgerson, Fedora (minus year 1) or Gundy. Our offense was bad for a thousand different reasons, and it all falls on the coordinator to do his job. You can make excuses for him all you want. That's fine. It's not like I'm asking them to can him after 1 season. I said our offense was awful. It was, for our standards. You can't deny that.

Yurcich was in over his head last year, and it showed. A lot.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Drunkorsen has been putting true FR QB William Crest at punt returner in practice. Probably just to troll the media in attendance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of wildcat package instituted with him. I doubt a true FR would know the playbook well enough to actually start (though I think if he did know the playbook he'd be our best bet this season).

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Mixon is being charged (misdemeanor) and is suspended for the season. He's allowed to stay enrolled as a student, but without his scholarship he'll have to apply for financial aid. He's most likely gone unless he sticks around and makes grades, which I'm assuming he won't do. Good riddance.

Bama

TCUs defense will be damn good again. Even an average offense would've given them 7 wins last year. Instead the Frogs lost a million games by single digits because they repeatedly took a 12 gauge to their toes offensively. The old OC - one of the worst I can ever remember following at the FBS level - is now the OL coach, which is very disconcerting when you consider 1) he has no experience coaching the OL and 2) the OL was the worst part of the team last season. The new co-OCs are Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meacham. Matt Joeckel has transferred in from aTm and will presumably start at QB, although Tre Boykin is supposedly much improved. Still no standout WRs, RBs are by committee and TEs are non-existent...great since there are about 8 of them still on the roster.

I miss Justin Fuente. </3 . Supposedly we'll be in a Tech-style spread, but I can't imagine GP will allow the same pace as other schools because it would hamper his defense. Bottom line: there is way too much defensive talent for this team to be missing a bowl game again, especially given the easier schedule (finally don't have to go to fucking Stillwater, get OU/Tech/KState at home). If they somehow fall below .500 again, it'll be interesting to see if the fan base puts pressure on Patterson. I doubt it, but they got spoiled by the crap MWC schedule and a wealth of talent from 2008-11. And the big boosters didn't shell out millions for a (basically) new stadium so the team could go out and suck all over it. They're already having trouble with attendance and keeping the visiting fans from dominating the noise level. Another losing season would turn the heat way up.