• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Can someone explain series/sequential based playcalling?

fanoftgame

I'm really just looking for a more systematic way to playcall.

I know Single wing, Wing t, ect teams run these types offenses. From what I understand they mainly look at who is making the play on defense and where. For example if the saftey makes the play for a 7 yrd gain they may run the same thing again. However, if the safety makes the play for 2-3 yrd gain they would run a complimentary play that looks similar but attacks the safety. Is this correct?

Also, can you use this concept in other offense on a more general level without having to specifically see if a de is crashing or playing up the field, ect(since we can't really see these things in the game). I'm thinking something like this

Series football is possible in any offense if a linear way of thinking that is set up. In the system we used while I was at the high school level, we made the stretch play more than just a base play. It was the starting point for our structure. As close as possible, all of our runs and play-action passes were based off of looking like a stretch in initial backfield action. The idea was to get the defense reacting a certain way, then developing plays off of the same look. If the defense stopped the stretch a certain way, then we had the answer in another play.

Also, can you take this concept and I apply it to defense ?

At 12:17 he said something that stuck with me. The purpose of your base defense is to show them one look, see how they attack it, then make adjustments.

To me this seems similair to series based playcalling on a larger scale and obviously from a defensive perspective.

Is my thinking correct?

Last edited:

TheSystem

Hi,

"The true value of any attack is to look the same and still strike at different areas in the defense, the sound concept and exploitation of a real System is of vital importance" -Bud Wilkinson

So yes your are correct, many offense have series that they run, the great Wing offenses (Single,Wing T and Double Wing) are especially known for this because of the blocking schemes and backfield actions. Triple option teams such also can run things sequentially (dive,pitch,keep) and
Air Raid's is also very simple... "throw short, throw long, run" and all of it is going to be based on what the Defense does to stop something.

Sequential play calling is a powerful tool. Sequential play calling attacks defenses across every possible front outside,off tackle,inside runs and passes.
The idea is to cause defensive uncertainty, if you base your call on this, we may run that or we may run this or this or possibly even this. The belief is the defense might be able to stop a sweep, but can they stop a power play, can they stop a dive, can they stop a play action pass. The joy of offense is the defense has to give up something because there is just way too much field to defend and we (OCs) get to pick which tool we want to use to 1 expose that 1 thing and 2 exploit it.

And by all means, if something is working, keep running it until the defense stops it. The only thing that prevents a successful play from being run over and over again is the Offensive coordinators boredom.

The key in this game though is finding plays that look similiar because the blocking schemes are so limited. Obviously very easy to do with an option playbook, but you can also do it with other formations.

Some suggestions I use when I don't want to go TFS on the CPU's ass.
- fly sweep and dive series
- Toss,Power,Counter series

fanoftgame

Hi,

"The true value of any attack is to look the same and still strike at different areas in the defense, the sound concept and exploitation of a real System is of vital importance" -Bud Wilkinson

So yes your are correct, many offense have series that they run, the great Wing offenses (Single,Wing T and Double Wing) are especially known for this because of the blocking schemes and backfield actions. Triple option teams such also can run things sequentially (dive,pitch,keep) and
Air Raid's is also very simple... "throw short, throw long, run" and all of it is going to be based on what the Defense does to stop something.

Sequential play calling is a powerful tool. Sequential play calling attacks defenses across every possible front outside,off tackle,inside runs and passes.
The idea is to cause defensive uncertainty, if you base your call on this, we may run that or we may run this or this or possibly even this. The belief is the defense might be able to stop a sweep, but can they stop a power play, can they stop a dive, can they stop a play action pass. The joy of offense is the defense has to give up something because there is just way too much field to defend and we (OCs) get to pick which tool we want to use to 1 expose that 1 thing and 2 exploit it.

And by all means, if something is working, keep running it until the defense stops it. The only thing that prevents a successful play from being run over and over again is the Offensive coordinators boredom.

The key in this game though is finding plays that look similiar because the blocking schemes are so limited. Obviously very easy to do with an option playbook, but you can also do it with other formations.

Some suggestions I use when I don't want to go TFS on the CPU's ass.
- fly sweep and dive series
- Toss,Power,Counter series

Sorry to reup old thread but,

How did the run and shoot do it? Choice, Go, and Draw?

Also was that quote from Split T book?

TheSystem

I have never heard or seen Mouse Davis or June Jones talk about sequential play calling such as those used by the wing t coaches probably because every core run and shoot pass concept is a sequential play meant to exploit the reaction and over reaction of the defense and the defenders.

With Ellison's Gangster series as a model you could do something such as bubble or wr screen to exploit uncovered receivers, Go or RNS Curl concept to the frontside, then come back with a choice to backside then go with a run or RB screen to exploit a defense that over compensates to cover the pass.

Yes the quote is from the Split T Book.

fanoftgame

I have never heard or seen Mouse Davis or June Jones talk about sequential play calling such as those used by the wing t coaches probably because every core run and shoot pass concept is a sequential play meant to exploit the reaction and over reaction of the defense and the defenders.

With Ellison's Gangster series as a model you could do something such as bubble or wr screen to exploit uncovered receivers, Go or RNS Curl concept to the frontside, then come back with a choice to backside then go with a run or RB screen to exploit a defense that over compensates to cover the pass.

Yes the quote is from the Split T Book.

I see that now. I just got the now attack of inter library loan, which helped me understand what ur saying.

I really like the sequential way of calling plays because. It give me a consistent framework to call plays.

Do you know if offense's like wingt or power t have a series and try to run all the plays in the series as long as its working before moving to a new series?
Or do they run a play from a series see how it works, then go to another series before coming back to the original series with a new play based of the reaction to the defense?

TheSystem

Do you know if offense's like wingt or power t have a series and try to run all the plays in the series as long as its working before moving to a new series?
Or do they run a play from a series see how it works, then go to another series before coming back to the original series with a new play based of the reaction to the defense?

This is dependent on the play caller. Some coaches like to see how you are going to react to the different plays in different series, and some will hammer you with the same play again and again until you prove you can stop it.

I've done it a lot of different ways, work the series and run the same play (toss, off tackle power) from variety of formations.

The key is not to be too predictable with your play calling to get maximum value out of the sequence.

I would recommend you experiment with what works best for you and against your competition.