• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

College Football Offseason Thread Presented by Joe Mixon's Punch-Out!!

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I wish Michigan could do something like that with the weather. Unfortunately, it would be pretty obvious to say something like average temperature in February is 60 degrees when it's 20 degrees and snowing outside :laughing:

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
USC currently sitting at #1 on Rivals. Confirmed: Sark is the best coach in the history of coaches.

Lightningwar

Administrator
SEC nation going to break down over not securing another signing day championship. Anyways USC with a sick ass class.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
SC stole a WR from Wazzu by offering him a walk on with a "scholarship down the road." Sure, Seven Win Steve.

And ESPN still has Bama ranked #1 so they won't be losing their shit

Wooly

You guys missed the most impressive signing of the day. A friend of mine texted me to check this guy out. I did and gawd damn!

6'8" 410 lbs

Motekiai Langi from Tonga, signed with BYU. Look at him, 410 lbs out of HS and he doesn't even look that fat. I know, I know, just wait until the American fast food hits him.

Just put him at Nose Guard/Tackle and let him chew up two gaps. He doesn't even have to be fast, just let him take on one OL in each hand, and clog that middle.

B9AvHgHIgAASbOG.jpg:large

Last edited:
Bobby Petrino got up to Bobby Petrino things yesterday.

In other words, being a scumbag asshole.

Bobby Petrino, still not a man of his word
In the NFL world, Bobby Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word stems mostly from his decision to abandon the Falcons during his only season as their head coach and take a job at Arkansas. In the college football world, Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word goes much deeper than that.

There was the time Petrino gave his mistress a job in the Arkansas athletic department, then engaged in a cover-up after questions were raised when he crashed his motorcycle with her on the back. There was the time Petrino took a job as an assistant at Auburn without even bothering to tell his boss (Tom Coughlin) that he was leaving his previous job. There was the time he went behind the backs of his bosses at Louisville in an attempt to get Auburn to fire his former boss (Tommy Tuberville) and get himself hired in Tuberville’s place. There was the time Petrino quit Louisville six months after signing a 10-year contract extension and promising he wasn’t going anywhere.

And now we have the recruitment of Matt Colburn.

Colburn is a running back at Dutch Fork High School in South Carolina. Eight months ago, Colburn committed to play for Petrino at Louisville. (Petrino is in his second stint as Louisville’s head coach; you can be forgiven if you’re having trouble keeping up with all the twists and turns in Petrino’s career path.) Colburn is considered a three-star prospect: A very good football player, although not the kind of elite talent who has scholarship offers from all the top football schools across the country. At the time that Colburn committed, Louisville seemed like a good fit for him.

But it turned out that Louisville had more good players commit to this year’s class than they were expecting. So many good players that they couldn’t fit them all under the scholarship limit. So instead of telling some of the new kids who have come along, “Sorry, but we don’t have any more scholarships to give,” this week Petrino decided that Colburn — who shut down his own recruiting eight months ago when he committed to Louisville — wouldn’t have a scholarship to enroll at Louisville in the fall after all.

That’s a lousy way to treat a kid who made a commitment to your football program, and it leaves Colburn in limbo. The other schools that had been recruiting Colburn moved on when he announced his commitment to Louisville eight months ago, and they’ve now reached their own scholarship limits and no longer have a scholarship to offer him — and unlike Petrino, those other coaches won’t kick another kid to the curb to make room. So Colburn is now scrambling to find another college to attend.

Oh, and did I mention that Petrino didn’t even have the guts to tell Colburn himself? Petrino had an assistant coach make the call to inform Colburn that he won’t be getting a scholarship to Louisville this year.
Colburn’s high school coach, Tom Knotts, is furious and says he and some other high school coaches have decided they will no longer work with Petrino when he wants to recruit their players.

“I tell my players when you commit, you commit,” Knotts told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal. “That’s what a commitment is. Matt’s been committed for eight months. It’s irritating that men can do this. He’s just a boy, a young man. He doesn’t know how to understand it. He’s very upset. Some things have opened up but that’s not the way it should be. It’s not right. Louisville is only going to hurt themselves doing this. Everybody knows not just what a good player Matt is but what a good person he is. That is not the way to do business and if that’s the way to do business we don’t want to deal with them. [Petrino] won’t be able to recruit my school anymore and I imagine there will be some other coaches that will say the same thing. Trust factor is just not there.”

At this point, anyone who puts trust in Petrino is just asking to be betrayed. Unfortunately, Petrino is still in a position where kids who don’t know better are vulnerable to his dishonesty.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Petrino is definitely a dick, but welcome to recruiting, kid. Would anyone be crying if he chose to sign somewhere else on the final day, which happens all the fucking time?

It's all in the game. /Omar

Petrino is definitely a dick, but welcome to recruiting, kid. Would anyone be crying if he chose to sign somewhere else on the final day, which happens all the fucking time?

It's all in the game. /Omar

Well, the difference is that the coaches know how it works, whereas there are plenty of PSAs who don't know enough to be cynical.

Petrino certainly isn't the only coach to have done this, but it is never okay and to do it with so little regard for the PSA (informing him at the last second, not doing it personally, not offering a grayshirt option) is particularly inexcusable.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think Petrino did offer him a grayshirt. Still a dick move. If he had done this even a month ago, wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I think Petrino did offer him a grayshirt. Still a dick move. If he had done this even a month ago, wouldn't be as big of a deal.

The article I read didn't say anything about the grayshirt. That makes some difference. Even so, as you mentioned, doing it at the absolute last second is slimy. And doing it through a position coach is cowardly.

I would even be more understanding of it if this was a kid who was taking visits and making things interesting himself, but he wasn't. He was committed.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I read another article that said the high school coach had banned Petrino from recruiting at his high school again. Good for him.

Brick

The article I read didn't say anything about the grayshirt. That makes some difference. Even so, as you mentioned, doing it at the absolute last second is slimy. And doing it through a position coach is cowardly.

I would even be more understanding of it if this was a kid who was taking visits and making things interesting himself, but he wasn't. He was committed.
corch pete never would have done such a thing.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
In other shady news: http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...unning-backs-coach-stan-drayton-chicago-bears

OSU running backs coach leaves the day after signing day. OSU just got a RB recruit deciding between Michigan and OSU. Recruit tweets that he's hurt. Pretty sad that players commit to coaches. The players can't leave the school without sitting out a year, but the coaches can leave whenever they want for no penalty.

I really hope the recruit's high school coach is pissed at OSU for this. Michigan gets a ton of players from that school - this can only help them I'd say.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
In other shady news: http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...unning-backs-coach-stan-drayton-chicago-bears

OSU running backs coach leaves the day after signing day. OSU just got a RB recruit deciding between Michigan and OSU. Recruit tweets that he's hurt. Pretty sad that players commit to coaches. The players can't leave the school without sitting out a year, but the coaches can leave whenever they want for no penalty.

I really hope the recruit's high school coach is pissed at OSU for this. Michigan gets a ton of players from that school - this can only help them I'd say.

Going from OSU to the Bears, that's a big time demotion. :laughing:

bruin

Happens all the time.

USC pulled in the talent. Now to see if Sark can get them corched up.

Sarkisian isn't a great coach, but he isn't bad either. And that staff is pretty strong. In two years USC will have a clear talent advantage on everybody they play regularly, with the possible exception of UCLA (assuming Mora keeps recruiting like he is).

Probably gonna see some 10 win seasons, though I don't know if 13-0 is in the cards.

bruin

City of Angels are on tap for greatness in CFB for the next decade. Could be westside version of UF/FSU in the mid/late 90's.

Last edited:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

Notre Dame just did the same thing, with their QB corch announcing that he's leaving for the Falcons the day after signing day.

And I'll just leave this here: http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...15-profile-minkah-fitzpatrick-brandon-wimbush

-YTC

Lightningwar

Administrator
On the opposite side of the conversation. CeCe Jerfferson isnt impressed with UF's staff and hasnt signed a letter of intent yet because of it. Supposedly the UF line coach is leaving for the Dolphins after 1 month on the job. And they did a terrible job recruiting him.

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1734086

I say good for him.

I think the NCAA needs to allow for recruits to leave schools without penalty after signing a LOI if the head coach or the position coach they are playing under leaves before fall practice.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Sarkisian isn't a great coach, but he isn't bad either. And that staff is pretty strong. In two years USC will have a clear talent advantage on everybody they play regularly, with the possible exception of UCLA (assuming Mora keeps recruiting like he is).

Probably gonna see some 10 win seasons, though I don't know if 13-0 is in the cards.

Yeah - Seven-Win Steve might be upgraded to 10-win steve, but I don't think he's the one that will take the USC program back to the mountaintop.

City of Angels are on tap for greatness in CFB for the next decade. Could be westside version of UF/FSU in the mid/late 90's.

Would definitely be fun. The USC-UCLA series has been a pretty streaky one. They seemed to alternate periods where one or the other is good while the other is lousy/mediocre, but seldom have both programs been good in the same era. The notable exception was in the 1960's and early 70's When John McKay was at USC and Tommy Prothro was at UCLA.

bruin

Snoop done sold out. He lives in Calabasas now - his L.A. privileges are revoked, just like Paul Pierce.

No way.

Paul Pierce would have been a Bruin if not for Harrick being fired. Along with the Collins twins and Tayshaun Prince. Easily hang a couple more banners with that squad.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Paul Pierce lost his L.A. privileges with that fake-ass knee injury, crying like a little bitch girl while wearing the hated green of the Celtics, then coming back like Willis Reed / Lazarus.

Brick

Recruiting doesn't mean shit at sc. Just start a countdown clock for sarkisian leaving already. Hope he doesn't give that year of delusion like hoke or muschamp.

From a buddy of mine who writes for a Texas website. Some pretty good stuff in here.

College Football Recruiting Wisdom

10 revelations and observations that will change your life in no appreciable way.

1. For teenage athletes, social media is cocaine mixed with alcohol chased by an ecstasy suppository. Recruiting has always been erratic, but platforms for instant mass grandiosity aren't very healthy for young aspirants who have been worshipped in their football mad communities since age 13. Young men generally need a good ego beatdown in order for them to maximize their potential. I prescribe a heavy dose of R Lee Ermey or Charlie Strong.

2. We learned once again that grown men will tweet teenage males lavishly praising, vilifying, or stalking them based on whether they posted #WRTS, a cow emoticon with a smiley or Dawg paw prints that day. Unless actively cruising, you really shouldn't be that interested in interacting with a 17 year old. If cruising, I appreciate your wide net in rural East Texas, but please consult local age of consent laws. Here's an example of a sensible communication from a Texas fan:

@TX_STRONG: @DaylonMack stupidest mistake of your life...Blow your knees out"

Similarly, recruiting fans who describe themselves as being aroused when they learn a player is making an official visit shouldn't be. Only posting an "Open Letter to a Recruit" or reading your parent's e-mail forwards is more regrettable.

3. The Lebron Takin' My Talents To South Beach signing announcement by a high school senior complete with lengthy testimonial video, six speakers (mother, pastor, likely street agent, coach, personal trainer, that kid Ray Ray from home room) and a highlight video (with all sweet cuts in slo-mo!) set to gangster rap promising that all soft bitches will be executed right after a solemn prayer to guide this humble young man in Your Profound Eternal Wisdom, Oh Lord is happening a tad too often.

The common retort to this is "all kids deserve their special day." No they don't. You know who talks about deserving "their special day?" Brides. You know who is batshit crazy, sobs uncontrollably if the napkin swans aren't folded just so, passes out from food and water deprivation at the altar, makes all of her friends grow to hate her and will blow 70K of their father's money without blinking like a Hilton with a coke habit?

Brides.

Here are some of the people who get to have "their day": George Washington, Nelson Mandela, Jonas Salk. If you can top this list, you get to have your day. 243 yards rushing against Waco Midway isn't doing it.

4. A family will be torn apart by the recruiting process because the parents view their child as a commodity to be sold or as a tool for ego gratification. Every year, at least a couple of elite recruits move out of their homes to live with a coach, grandma or guardian because their parents have been bought or their precious self-image can't handle their kid's school choice.
Guess what? If my son loves A&M, he's going to A&M.

Florida A&M.

No, seriously: Texas A&M.

Sure, I will pay his tuition at their registrar's office in nickels (kidding - he'll be there on a full sorghum ride). Yes, I will scream,"Sit down bus driver!" at him when he asks me for South Padre Spring Break money. Yes, I will refuse to allow him to wash his maroon clothing in the regular wash to minimize infection vectors. But this is all in good fun.

You know who is a better parent than you? Snoop Dogg.

5. I have seen a number of middle-aged journalists who attended leafy private schools sending shouts out on Twitter with hashtags like #GrindinEveryDay. Without irony. To describe attending a press conference or spending 45 minutes at The Opening.

You are not grinding. You're not Kobe Bryant. No. No!

6. Every year, college coaches sell players on trust, the uniqueness of their relationship and the mentoring they'll offer for the next four years. I'll be a father to you! Immediately after that letter of intent hits, it's off to the NFL. Thanks, Dad!

7. Like a moral magnetic north, you can always count on Bobby Petrino to prove himself to be a real piece of shit.

8. Texas high school players are spoiled. Reviewing south Florida film was a wake-up call. The field is a drained mangrove swamp covered in broken glass and No Dumping signs. There's a bullet riddled cigar boat sticking halfway up out of the end zone. The game stops whenever a pit bull wanders onto the field. There's a referee wearing lycra shorts and tank top with a fanny pack. 14 people in the stands; two of them there to serve warrants. Gatorade buckets full of pruno. I've counted only nine men on the field on at least half of the highlights. Meanwhile, Texas kids have been training like Ivan Drago since they were 11 and their stadiums are Elysium.

9. Q: What do you call an incredible, can't miss recruit once he reports to campus?

10. A: Third team.

bruin

From a buddy of mine who writes for a Texas website. Some pretty good stuff in here.

College Football Recruiting Wisdom

8. Reviewing south Florida film was a wake-up call. The field is a drained mangrove swamp covered in broken glass and No Dumping signs. There's a bullet riddled cigar boat sticking halfway up out of the end zone. The game stops whenever a pit bull wanders onto the field. There's a referee wearing lycra shorts and tank top with a fanny pack. 14 people in the stands; two of them there to serve warrants. Gatorade buckets full of pruno. I've counted only nine men on the field on at least half of the highlights.

reading stuff like this always reminds me of Year of the Bull.

fsuprime

ND kids say Kelly has completely lost team lol, assistant coaches r looking to leave asap as kelly is gone after this next season.

gonna be a dumpster fire next season for ND

coogrfan

Former Houston QB John O'Korn, the 2013 AAC freshman of the year, is transferring to Michigan. He will sit out the 2015 season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Former Houston QB John O'Korn, the 2013 AAC freshman of the year, is transferring to Michigan. He will sit out the 2015 season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Harbaugh going after QBs hard. Added 3 this year, if you count O'Korn. Which is good, because we need a lot of bullets considering the rest of our QBs were recruited by Borges. And that's essentially a kiss of death.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Also, in hilarious news: Both Al Borges and GERG Robinson are coordinators at San Jose State. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Brick

Vernon Adams has looked in to transferring to UCLA.
OH NUH UHHH!!!

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Vernon-Adams-deciding-on-Monday-between-Oregon-and-EWU-35469899

Eastern Washington quarterback Vernon Adams will decide on staying at Eastern Washington or transferring to Oregon on Monday, he reconfirmed with DuckTerritory.com Friday.

"Yes," Adams texted when asked if his plan was still announce on Monday to Justin Hopkins of DuckTerritory.com.

Adams will also only decide between Oregon and Eastern Washington. There was rumors of Adams visiting other schools, but he denied other schools would be in play for a transfer.

whose ur source? didn't u see that text?

can't believe i got sucked into halfheartedly following this. although not taking any "reports" seriously.