• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Corches Hot Seat Thread 2018

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Schiano to Temple.

Reality, Temple will probably fumble their way into Dom Brown.
No way would Schiano take Temple, knowing what I know about him.

Sleeper candidate, Fran Brown. Was DB coach at Temple and Baylor under Ruhle, very good recruiter. Diaz brought him to Temple to be co-DC.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Yurchich to anotherOSU @bjc

Most hated coordinator with multiple top 10 offenses for sure
Yeah I didn’t really mind him. He was superb every year. OSU fans blame every failure on him lol. I hope he puts up a top 5 offense with them.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
giphy.gif

Cue the DickRod/Tony Gibson "Coming Home" music.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Grinch had better bring position corches with some serious CROOTIN SHOES. Surprised Riley is (apparently) going to get a coordinator who isn't good at CROOTIN.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Red eye gravy reporting that Alex Grinch is the next DC at Oklahoma and an announcement should be coming soon.

Grinch was unbelievable at Wazzu. Leach went 12-25 before he came to Pullman (worst corch in Pac-12 @bruin) and then 26-13 with him and then 11-2 this year with Claeys basically running his scheme. Some of that inauspicious start was due to Oregon and Furd still being top tier teams, Leach's system not fully settling in yet, blah blah blah, but a lot of it was some really shitty D. Perfect encapsulation of this being the game they lost to Cal where HALLIDAY @Brick threw for a NCAA record 734 yards and they lost (also a good example of it being more than D since they gave up two kick return TDs and missed basically an XP FG to win the game, but still they got shredded).

Scoring defense in 2014: 40.2 (121st)

Scoring defense and YPP with Grinch: 28.0 (68th), 24.8 (37th), 27.9 (67th)

They were 36th this year

Pretty decent in YPP too. Their pass defenses were usually meh, which may suck in the Big 12, but their run D has been good to great for the last four years.

Since BAKER is gone, I approve!

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
IIRC, Grinch's defenses at Wazzu were also gr8 at tackles for loss and forcing turnovers, which were two of the many things the OU defense was really bad at this year!

Honestly, OU just needs an above average defense. A good to great defense would be ideal, but Riley's offense is so lethal they just need a defense that isn't a complete embarrassment to the sport.

Wooly

IIRC, Grinch's defenses at Wazzu were also gr8 at tackles for loss and forcing turnovers, which were two of the many things the OU defense was really bad at this year!

Honestly, OU just needs an above average defense. A good to great defense would be ideal, but Riley's offense is so lethal they just need a defense that isn't a complete embarrassment to the sport.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Riley, but Baker really was a great QB, and Murray is freakishly fast. Those guys will put up yards and points on anyone.

BTW, who is the next QB? Does he have that kind of talent?

Soonerfan09

I'm not trying to take anything away from Riley, but Baker really was a great QB, and Murray is freakishly fast. Those guys will put up yards and points on anyone.

BTW, who is the next QB? Does he have that kind of talent?
Riley (and Bedenbaugh) has done great job with the oline. He also utilizes matchups with his FB/H back and TEs better than nearly everyone. Receivers have done a great job, especially blocking, and he gets production from pretty much everyone. Tease, Basquine, and Morris were all walkon WRs (I believe) that have done great under Riley.

OU has the number 1 PRO QB coming in next year to compete with Kendall and Mordacai. Kendall looked great through the spring and Mordacai looked great in his backup time throughout the season (Kendall didn’t look that great). There are also talks about bringing in another transfer QB (Fields from UGA and Hurts).
I think Riley is a great play caller that gets a bit too conservative with the lead, but is also very good at wearing teams down and establishing the run, especially in the second half. I would have loved to see him try to get Sermon and Brooks going in the first half against Bama, but nothing went right the first half anyway.
I’m glad OU locked him up for at least a few more seasons.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Riley (and Bedenbaugh) has done great job with the oline. He also utilizes matchups with his FB/H back and TEs better than nearly everyone. Receivers have done a great job, especially blocking, and he gets production from pretty much everyone. Tease, Basquine, and Morris were all walkon WRs (I believe) that have done great under Riley.

OU has the number 1 PRO QB coming in next year to compete with Kendall and Mordacai. Kendall looked great through the spring and Mordacai looked great in his backup time throughout the season (Kendall didn’t look that great). There are also talks about bringing in another transfer QB (Fields from UGA and Hurts).
I think Riley is a great play caller that gets a bit too conservative with the lead, but is also very good at wearing teams down and establishing the run, especially in the second half. I would have loved to see him try to get Sermon and Brooks going in the first half against Bama, but nothing went right the first half anyway.
I’m glad OU locked him up for at least a few more seasons.

Plus the way Riley schemes and develops QBs (and his skill positions in general) puts his offense at an advantage by finding creative ways to exploit matchups and get guys in open space. I'm not expecting Kendall or Mordecai to be Heisman winners (Rattler maybe in a few years), but if they just take care of the ball and don't make dumb decisions then the offense will be pretty good. Then again, few people expected SLIDER to break a bunch of BAKER's records, so who knows. I trust in Riley at least on offense. We'll see how Grinch does now that he's not in a nut house of a defensive staff like Ohio State was last year and he gets better talent than he did in Pullman.

PSUEagle

Great hire that will complement what Riley wants on offense as @bruin228 and @silverwheels noted (force turnovers/TFLs while holding scoring down). He did an amazing job at Wazzu considering the limitations of his personnel while this year's Ohio State shitshow is more about Schiano being a decade behind the times in scheme/philosophy than anything related to Grinch.

With that said, biggest issue IMO is that OU hasn't had much in the way of NFL level talent on defense over the last couple of years. They need better players on that side of the ball in order to get to a level good enough to win a championship (probably Top 30-40 in counting stats).

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah upgrading defensive talent has happened to an extent with the last couple of classes but there's still work to be done. Riley has killed it with offensive talent which skews the blue chip ratio quite a bit.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Grinch was pretty clearly brought to OSU with the idea that Schiano would leave for a head corching position. The thing I would be worried about is that he coached OSU's safeties, who were terrible all year.