• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK Corches Hot Seat Thread 2019

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

AOXUePW.gif

Renegade

Charge on!
He gave so little shit about recruiting, why would he possibly come back to college? What a dumbass. I hope Bielema tries to play Wisconsin ball in the PAC-12. That would at least be interesting to see how it works out, if nothing else.

That said, CU should go after Yurcich or some other offensive guy. So stupid to keep going after these pro-style plodders.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
SEC is probably less trog than the Pac at this point. LEACH, Mullen, LSU, GUS, Bammer, Arky and Ole Piss running Briles stuff

Furd, Cal, UDub, HERM, and Utah are gonna be rolling out some of the biggest trog offenses around next year. Who’s interesting in the Pac? Rolo at Wazzu and that’s probably it. If CU hires BERT, Pac is the trog king of the P5

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
SEC is probably less trog than the Pac at this point. LEACH, Mullen, LSU, GUS, Bammer, Arky and Ole Piss running Briles stuff

Furd, Cal, UDub, HERM, and Utah are gonna be rolling out some of the biggest trog offenses around next year. Who’s interesting in the Pac? Rolo at Wazzu and that’s probably it. If CU hires BERT, Pac is the trog king of the P5

Who's interesting in the PAC?

chipucla2.jpg

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer

CLAY is interesting if you also like rooting for the murderer in true crime docs and watching car wreck footage

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think you'

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/16/mel-tucker-colorado-michigan-state-football

This is a mostly CU donor POV but I have a hard time thinking he didn't have his agent actively negotiating with MSU while he was doing all these events. These events had already been scheduled well in advance and I'm sure he felt obligated to attend them despite the uncertainty of his future, and I'm sure he wanted to push through in case the deal fell apart or whatever. I already saw college football as a morally bankrupt profession anyway so it doesn't change how I feel about anything. Other than lawd maybe don't spend 6 million on a dude who hasn't proven anything yet other than CROOT CROOT CROOT

His class was the best at CU since...2017. So I’m not sure how well he’s proven he can even CROOT. People just say he’s a LEET CROOTER because he sucks at everything else.

Renegade

Charge on!
So recapping the coaching carousel for the year, here's my take. Grades are relative to what the school could get in their position.

1. Colorado, F, Karl Dorrell...seems like a nice guy who runs a clean program, but he was bad at UCLA...no reason to think he's going to be successful at CU. They should have been after Harrell or Yurcich or someone else who is going to score a shit load of points. I actually think Calhoun would have been a really good hire for them since he has both the option and pro-style experience...mix in a little option to fuck with people while running a spread mostly.
  2. Michigan St., C+, Mel Tucker...he was a hot candidate when he was hired at CU, but they didn't really improve in his first year...given the looming sanctions, MSU probably did about as well as they could since their best realistic option (Fickell) turned them down.
  3. Baylor, A, Dave Aranda - arguably the best DC in the country...what will he do on offense? Is a Big 12 team actually going to play defense?
  4. Wazzu, A, Nick Rolovich - pretty solid hire for Wazzu given his relatively short stint at Hawaii...as a run & shoot guy, he probably wasn't going to get a better gig than this until he proves himself.
  5. Cowbells, A+, Mike Leach - while he tends to have a WTF game every year, nobody does more with less, and he finally can get some elite level talent...will expectations be too high too quickly?
  6. SDSU, F, Brady Hoke - yeah, he was moderately successful in 1 out of 2 seasons here previously, but he's gotten fired from several consecutive assistant jobs...seems to have lost his touch. Second best program in the MWC should be able to do better than this. Arguably he was above average in the MAC, average (at best) in the MWC, and way below average in the B1G.
  7. New Mexico, A, Danny Gonzalez - this grade is relative to the job, which is awful overall...at least UNM didn't hire some retread like Addazio or Hoke.
  8. Fresno, A, Kalen DeBoer - successful OC here previously, then looked great at Indiana this year...if Fresno can land this guy (yes, he had ties to the program), then WTF were SDSU and CSU doing?
  9. Boston College, B+, Jeff Hafley - BC sticking with BC ball it looks like...play some defense and hope for the best.
  10. App State, C+, Shawn Clark - I get it, losing coaches in back to back years sucks, so they hired an alumnus from within the program...he could be a really good hire, or he could be a dud. App could have probably gotten someone more proven on the open market.
  11. Memphis, C+, Ryan Silverfield - see App State...good experience within the program, but Memphis is stacked and could have gotten someone more proven for what is a Top 4 job in the AAC.
  12. Colorado State, F, Steve Addazio - literally the definition of mediocre...7-6 every year...no reason to think he'll be any more successful at CSU, who needs an innovative coach to make up for the talent deficit from the lack of good in-state recruiting. No doubt this is thanks to Irvin Meyers coming to campus...LOL at the CSU faithful that thought Irvin was coming to town; instead you got a guy who got his last two jobs because he was a friend of Irvin's and happened to be around when Irvin was winning big.
  13. FAU, B-, Willie Taggart - this honestly could be an A+ or an F for FAU...the approach seems to be to just try to out-recruit CUSA and hope that Willie's success at WKU is indicative that he's a good coach at the CUSA level. If he really does outperform at recruiting, it won't shock me to see FAU make the Access Bowl playing a shit CUSA schedule as long as he keeps Leavitt coaching the defense. Alternately, he may be total garbage and FAU takes a nosedive from the pretty solid Kiffin years.
  14. UNLV, B-, Cruitin Shoes - see FAU. Ought to be able to recruit talent to this place a lot better than they have historically...new stadium should really help...needs coordinators. If he can recruit well and has some decent coordinators, UNLV could have hit a home run. Or just like FAU, this could be a dud hire if the talent doesn't improve.
  15. USF, B-, Jeff Scott - hired the OC that doesn't call the plays at Clemson...has put together a very inexperienced staff on the whole...supposed to be a solid recruiter for the Bay Area and SW Florida, so we'll see. I really doubt he's USF's Scott Frost, but I think he'll probably be a lot better than Cruitin Shoes...grade reflects that I think USF could have done better given the talent base they sit in with a pro stadium to sell recruits.
  16. UTSA, B-, Jeff Traylor - fired a recruiting-first coach with no coordinator experience to hire a recruiting-first coach with no coordinator experience...he was a successful Texas HS coach however...CUSA's shit TV deal probably hurts hiring since it offers no exposure and no money, but Old Dominion still did a lot better than UTSA. That said, he seems like a good fit for this program and sometimes that's more important than getting the more proven guy.
  17. Old Dominion, B+, Ricky Rahne - contrary to UTSA, they hired a P5 coordinator with some solid experience...seems like he handled losing Barkley and McSorley well enough...ODU is surrounded by talent; keep a little bit of it home and plug it into a good offense, and they are one of the best set schools in CUSA East.
  18. Missouri, C-, Eli Drinkwitz - does an SEC school really need to hire a guy who has one season as HC under his belt? Yeah, he did really well, but he inherited the entire squad...this is really a big gamble, and I feel like Mizzou could have gotten a more proven, if less flashy, HC like Willie Fritz. He may turn out to be Malzahn Jr., or he may not. Just like Arkansas, this is a big gamble. Depends on what Mizzou wants...if they're content with 8-4, then this was a dumb hire. If they want to try to have a magical season and make the CFP, well, he might get them there, or he may go 4-8 a lot. We'll see.
  19. Arkansas, B-, Sam Pittman - I guess they passed on Mike Leach, since he took a job that is arguably worse. Pittman seems like a heck of a recruiter, and I moved my grade from C+ to B- because he's brought in solid coordinators on both sides of the ball. If Pittman can bring in the OL talent like he did in the early Bert years with Briles calling the plays, they could be explosive quick...also won over the locker room almost instantly that Chad Morris had completely lost. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer (though I don't really care), but I feel like this hire has the potential to be really good. Certainly can't do any worse than Bert and Morris.
  20. Florida State, A, Mike Norvell - all the Bob Stoops drama aside, I feel like FSU hired arguably the best HC available...he inherited his Memphis team, but I feel like they stepped up to the next level from where Fuente was with them...offense could be scary once he gets the OL rebuilt. Beware FSU fans, he is a massive choke artist under pressure, however.
  21. Ole Miss, B+, Joey Freshwater - well, this will sure as shit be entertaining if nothing else...the grade on this hire really depends on what you think about Joey...if he is an elite OC, then this was a great hire; if he's not, then this is going to be a dud in that division. I tend to think he's going to cheat his ass off recruiting and win big before Ole Miss gets put on probation and he gets a show cause. But hey, they can't take away your memory of getting blasted in the CFP as #4.
  22. Washington, A-, Jimmy Lake...I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt since he was Pete's handpicked successor. I don't really know how UW has been on "defense," but he was part of getting a PAC-12 squad to the CFP, so that's pretty impressive.
  23. Rutgers, D-, Greg Schiano...retread here as well...he had some good years with Ray Rice, but he never even won the weak Big East, and I'm supposed to believe he's going to be competitive in the B1G East? Rutgers should have gone for something ballsy and innovative with a system guy, whether that was Monken bringing in cut blockers to fuck all the knees up or some run & shoot guy. Not going to win anything at Rutgers playing NASHNUL plodding football.
  24. SEC West Athletic Directors, A+, this division is going to be fun to watch and the press conferences/tweets are going to be even better. I can't wait for Saban, Freshwater, Leach, Orgeron, and Jimbo to start having press conferences and pissing on each other. Pittman is the outlier here that probably won't get dragged into any pissing matches.

Renegade

Charge on!
So recapping the coaching carousel for the year, here's my take. Grades are relative to what the school could get in their position.

Realized I forgot one of the best...

- Hawaii, C, Todd Graham - I heard his family moved to Waikiki and this has always been his dream job since he was a kid watching Tora! Tora! Tora!. Todd knew that with his defensive genius, he could have warded off the Japanese attack without even needing a 1980s-era Nimitz supercarrier like in The Final Countdown. In all seriousness, Graham is a pretty good defensive coach, and he was open to up-tempo spread offenses long before most DCs. To me, this is all about whether he maintains the Run & Shoot. That's what Hawaii does well. Norm Chow failed spectacularly with the pro style and then Rolovich tried to use more of a generic spread his first couple of seasons. The Run & Shoot is Hawaii's systems. They should never abandon it just like a military academy that abandons the option is making a huge mistake. So basically I'm grading this a C. There's Todd the coach, who I think is pretty decent, and then there's Todd who is already interviewing for his next job. I'm sure Hawaii knows that, so that's on them when he bolts next year for UTEP, because his dream has always been to see Trump's wall keeping the Mexicans in Juarez.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad

1. Rutgers, D-, Greg Schiano...retread here as well...he had some good years with Ray Rice, but he never even won the weak Big East, and I'm supposed to believe he's going to be competitive in the B1G East? Rutgers should have gone for something ballsy and innovative with a system guy, whether that was Monken bringing in cut blockers to fuck all the knees up or some run & shoot guy. Not going to win anything at Rutgers playing NASHNUL plodding football.
Get the fuck out of here. If Rutgers didn't hire Schiano, the AD was gonna hire some bum like Lance Leipold or Bitch Jones.

Renegade

Charge on!
Get the fuck out of here. If Rutgers didn't hire Schiano, the AD was gonna hire some bum like Lance Leipold or Bitch Jones.

Leipold has done pretty well at Buffalo for what Buffalo is. That said, standing by my opinion they should have gone after Monken or someone to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Let's put it this way...I get that Schiano is the greatest coach in modern Rutgers history and pulled them out of Temple-level desolation. But he never won the Big East, even with his stacked teams with Rice, Sanu, etc. Randy Fucking Edsall won the Big East with UConn. That says everything about Schiano being ok but nothing better. And that was in the Big East, not the Big Ten East.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Leipold has done pretty well at Buffalo for what Buffalo is. That said, standing by my opinion they should have gone after Monken or someone to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Let's put it this way...I get that Schiano is the greatest coach in modern Rutgers history and pulled them out of Temple-level desolation. But he never won the Big East, even with his stacked teams with Rice, Sanu, etc. Randy Fucking Edsall won the Big East with UConn. That says everything about Schiano being ok but nothing better. And that was in the Big East, not the Big Ten East.
Big East was pretty good back then, even if UCF wasn't in the league. And i had a lot of complaints about Schiano's teams having bad losses in big spots, but the same shit happened after he left, so I realize he wasn't the problem. As far as Monken goes, there is a reason only one other power 5 team in the last 30 years has run an offense like that. It wouldn't have worked at Rutgers or anywhere else in the Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12 or ACC. But fine. Anyway, I'm an idiot who thought Chris Ash was a good hire.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Realized I forgot one of the best...

- Hawaii, C, Todd Graham - I heard his family moved to Waikiki and this has always been his dream job since he was a kid watching Tora! Tora! Tora!. Todd knew that with his defensive genius, he could have warded off the Japanese attack without even needing a 1980s-era Nimitz supercarrier like in The Final Countdown. In all seriousness, Graham is a pretty good defensive coach, and he was open to up-tempo spread offenses long before most DCs. To me, this is all about whether he maintains the Run & Shoot. That's what Hawaii does well. Norm Chow failed spectacularly with the pro style and then Rolovich tried to use more of a generic spread his first couple of seasons. The Run & Shoot is Hawaii's systems. They should never abandon it just like a military academy that abandons the option is making a huge mistake. So basically I'm grading this a C. There's Todd the coach, who I think is pretty decent, and then there's Todd who is already interviewing for his next job. I'm sure Hawaii knows that, so that's on them when he bolts next year for UTEP, because his dream has always been to see Trump's wall keeping the Mexicans in Juarez.

Liked just for the Tora! Tora! Tora! And Final Countdown references.

Curious why Norm Chow tried to do pro style when he'd had success at BYU using a pass-heavy offense. Pro style only works well when you have pro-style athletes to run it.

Renegade

Charge on!
Big East was pretty good back then, even if UCF wasn't in the league. And i had a lot of complaints about Schiano's teams having bad losses in big spots, but the same shit happened after he left, so I realize he wasn't the problem. As far as Monken goes, there is a reason only one other power 5 team in the last 30 years has run an offense like that. It wouldn't have worked at Rutgers or anywhere else in the Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12 or ACC. But fine. Anyway, I'm an idiot who thought Chris Ash was a good hire.

Pretty sure the triple option won the ACC and beat UGA a few times. Knocking off Penn State a few times and going to the Rose Bowl would be pretty fucking good for Rutgers. Not to mention that cut blocks are like kneecapping bitches, and Rutgers definitely can find some local talent with that specialty.

Brick

LANE has been a piece of shit with his hires to be honest. He had Briles at FAU (and I think Art Briles was at practices), and now he has Briles' son-in-law and Durkin at Ole Piss.

Honestly, with the combination of him and Ole Piss, they're gonna have Art Briles, Mangino, Durkin, and the New Hitler guy on staff in like three years.
i keep getting NEW HITLER live shows on my tiktok feed for his radio show or whatever