• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Do OOTP Players Have Rights?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
These cases often get laughed out of discussions (and rule change thread), but it's never been so obvious to me that OOTP players (even Very High intangible OOTP players) are the moral equivalents of stuffed OOTP characters that we can do with as we please.

Our house rules, for instance, reflect some belief in OOTP player rights. We have contract cruelty laws. We have anti-team option laws (which, admittedly, probably didn't come about to protect the OOTP players but other GMs).

But at the same time those rules are ludicrously inconsistent. Dublin engages in contract rigging that would constitute a crime if all contract glitches were adequately anticipated; meanwhile Doh ignores all house rules altogether.

So, I guess there are a lot of questions here:

1. Do OOTP players have rights, or are they just CPU generated "things" with no moral weight?

2. If they do have rights, what is the basis for distinguishing them? If Reel punishes a prospect for a slow WBL start by leaving them in AAA for 10 years and ruining their career, nobody blinks. If anyone violates a contract rule, Doh is calling for you to go to jail and have all contracts voided.

3. Are rights graded by cognitive capacity? Everyone I've ever met who has worked with Very High Intelligence OOTP players will insist until the day they die that there is a "person" in there. Other OOTP players like Don Drain demonstrate very limited hallmarks of memory and reason and self-awareness. Does that make a difference when talking about their rights?