• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Dunk on anyone but SLENDERMAN 22-23

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have never really watched basketball much... but with the recent scoring record stuff I was once again amazed at how angry Lebron makes 40-50 year old white men. So can ya'll explain to me why LEBRON elicits so much facebook comment hatred from white dudes who film VLOGS in their trucks? I'd just chalk it up to 100% racism, but the same people love JORDAN. My theory is that 40-50 year old white men grew up venerating JORDAN when they were trying so hard to pretend to be black.... then they grew out of that phase, bought a Dodge Ram 2500 and decided to be racists by the time Lebron started rivaling Jordan's GOAT status?

The true mystery about it to me is that all the criticism is about how he has BAD CHARACTER, BAD ATTITUDE, LOW MORALS! etc... but on the surface Lebron is actually one of the more wholesome stars there is, lol. Especially compared to JORDAN who actually is loathsome.

Please explain - because casual racism just doesn't seem to answer my question.

These people also love to call him a "pre Madonna," so maybe they are all just a bit confused?

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Lebron is openly LIBRUL while Jordan was extremely apolitical.

U BUM

vs

"Republicans buy sneakers too"

81763-Michael-Jordan-Quote-Republicans-buy-sneakers-too.jpg

evil1

Everyone idolizes the athletes they grew up watching. Of course people who were teens in the 90's are going to idolize Jordan while the next generation are going to idolize LeBron.

I also agree that LeBron is unfairly criticized given how well he seems to have lived his life. Forget athletes, how many celebrities have been in the public eye since they were 17 and have been as scandal free in their personal life as he has? I think that is a credit to his character, his family, and the people he has surrounded himself with.

But I roll my eyes at the "Republicans buy sneakers too" attack line against Jordan, at least when it comes in comparison to LeBron. LeBron also has a billion dollar deal with Nike and also seems willing to take a blind eye to conditions (ahem, Chinese work camps) that threaten the bottom line. However, that usually isn't the criticism that olds levy against him.

HuskerHomie

Everyone idolizes the athletes they grew up watching. Of course people who were teens in the 90's are going to idolize Jordan while the next generation are going to idolize LeBron.

I also agree that LeBron is unfairly criticized given how well he seems to have lived his life. Forget athletes, how many celebrities have been in the public eye since they were 17 and have been as scandal free in their personal life as he has? I think that is a credit to his character, his family, and the people he has surrounded himself with.

But I roll my eyes at the "Republicans buy sneakers too" attack line against Jordan, at least when it comes in comparison to LeBron. LeBron also has a billion dollar deal with Nike and also seems willing to take a blind eye to conditions (ahem, Chinese work camps) that threaten the bottom line. However, that usually isn't the criticism that olds levy against him.
Bingo.

Pretty remarkable how LeBron was so hyped up as a high schooler and met, and in many cases exceeded, expectations. Most people with the spotlight on them at that young of an age throw it away or go crazy. He has stayed the course and at the very least, seems to be a family man and a decent dude (China stuff notwithstanding), while Jordan was screwing anything that could walk and gambling away millions.

I still prefer Jordan mainly because I grew up idolizing him, but LeBron's greatness over such a long period of time is absurd.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I have never really watched basketball much... but with the recent scoring record stuff I was once again amazed at how angry Lebron makes 40-50 year old white men. So can ya'll explain to me why LEBRON elicits so much facebook comment hatred from white dudes who film VLOGS in their trucks? I'd just chalk it up to 100% racism, but the same people love JORDAN. My theory is that 40-50 year old white men grew up venerating JORDAN when they were trying so hard to pretend to be black.... then they grew out of that phase, bought a Dodge Ram 2500 and decided to be racists by the time Lebron started rivaling Jordan's GOAT status?

The true mystery about it to me is that all the criticism is about how he has BAD CHARACTER, BAD ATTITUDE, LOW MORALS! etc... but on the surface Lebron is actually one of the more wholesome stars there is, lol. Especially compared to JORDAN who actually is loathsome.

Please explain - because casual racism just doesn't seem to answer my question.

These people also love to call him a "pre Madonna," so maybe they are all just a bit confused?

Jordan was never openly political. He never did or said anything that made white conservatives uncomfortable. Basically, he epitomized the concept of "just shut up and play ball," and he did it better than anybody, and in such a way that he was almost like a Greek tragic hero in how stupidly competitive he was at everything in his life, including alienating his own teammates and family and gambling away fortunes.

Even taking away the racism aspect (which is of course always present in American sports) - LeBron, at least early in his career - didn't seem to have the all-consuming, win-at-any-cost mentality embodied by the likes of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. I recall several times watching LeBron where, rather than take the last shot to win a game, he passed it off to a teammate. That is a BETA mentality!

Then of course there's the whole BLM thing which makes so many white olds so irrationally angry, and they hate LeBron not just because of his stance, but because he's actually rich and powerful and not just some wild-eyed activist who is easily dismissed as irrelevant.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just love the juxtaposition in that Lebron seems like he's actually a decent ROLE MODEL, while Jordan is such a piece of shit that people only refer to his LEGEND, as if he's already dead, lol.

I guess during Jordan's time maybe Magic Johnson was enough of a lightning rod for the racists with his HIV diagnosis that Jordan managed to avoid their racist scrutiny?

Like when I was a kid I remember playing JORDAN vs BIRD and picking your favorite player based on whether you preferred shooting 3s or dunking. I loved dunking, so I always picked Jordan. How was this a vidya game without all the racists picking BIRD's side? Was there more racism than I remember but I was just naive because I was a little babby kid? Did racists hate the OG SPACE JAM?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I just love the juxtaposition in that Lebron seems like he's actually a decent ROLE MODEL, while Jordan is such a piece of shit that people only refer to his LEGEND, as if he's already dead, lol.

I guess during Jordan's time maybe Magic Johnson was enough of a lightning rod for the racists with his HIV diagnosis that Jordan managed to avoid their racist scrutiny?

Like when I was a kid I remember playing JORDAN vs BIRD and picking your favorite player based on whether you preferred shooting 3s or dunking. I loved dunking, so I always picked Jordan. How was this a vidya game without all the racists picking BIRD's side? Was there more racism than I remember but I was just naive because I was a little babby kid? Did racists hate the OG SPACE JAM?
View attachment 27668

Lol, I remember that game. It was always Jordan for me, too.

Maybe I too, was blinded by naivete as a youngster, but I don't recall the NBA (or NFL) of the 1980s and 1990s to be riven with political lines. For the most part, it did seem like players just played, and didn't rock the boat, but that might also have been because owners were more powerful back then?

However, I distinctly remember several things from my youth that, in retrospect, showed that Murrica was still Murrica under the surface.

The Larry Holmes - Gerry Cooney fight was among the first boxing matches I ever recall watching, and I remember that my dad and all his friends (as vanilla as a North Dakota country club) were all cheering for Cooney. Larry Holmes was about as bland and non-threatening and a real upstanding citizen as a black heavyweight champion could be, (especially on the heels of the Muhammad Ali era) but Murikkka still wanted some BUM to beat him just because his peel was white.

The second was how hated the 1980s Miami Hurricanes were. As a budding USC fan, I couldn't stand Notre Dame and their whole holier-than-thou attitude, as if they were the "hardworking blue-collar Rust Belt and Midwestern sons of farmers and coal miners and bus drivers," etc. (Read: upstanding humble whites) while the Hurricanes were THUGGGGZZZ who were all gangbangers and drug pushers and pimps and murderers whose mothers were whores and fathers were Colombians carteleros. So, I cheered for the Canes and loved their swag and how in-your-face they were about beating your ass - mainly because it exposed the hypocrisy of basically every other team (but especially ND) that believed that their sainted players weren't also a bunch of bloodthirsty assholes on the gridiron.

Then of course there was the whole Lakers-Celtics rivalry which basically boiled down to: if you believed yourself to be a white, hardworking, law-abiding, God-fearing citizen of Rock Ridge, then you had to cheer for Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, and the ghosts of Red Auerbach, against the heathen tide from the land of fakery, Showtime, Magic, etc.

evil1

Nutopia's comments obviously got back to Jordan.

Michael Jordan donates $10M to Make-A-Wish for 60th birthday

Six-time NBA champion Michael Jordan is celebrating his 60th birthday on Friday by making a $10 million donation to Make-A-Wish.

It is the largest donation ever received from an individual in the organization's 43-year history.

Jordan, now the owner of the NBA's Charlotte Hornets, first supported Make-A-Wish in 1989.

He has granted hundreds of wishes to children all over the world and remains one of the most requested celebrity wish granters. He was named Make-A-Wish chief wish ambassador in 2008 for what the organization called the "life-changing impacts he has had on wish kids and their families."

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I really want to know why OF was where he drew the line considering I could have a catalog of videos of her getting dicked down in full HD. At least OF has a paywall

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
if Jokic had Kris Middleton and Jrue Holiday on his team he would have a title. If Giannis had Jamal Murry and Aaron Gordon he wouldn't have made it out of the semis either.