• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Euro 2016 - every game is a draw

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
A lot of countries basically nationalize sports. Very specific sports too. Outside of the obvious ussr and China, Spain did it too with prestige sports like golf and tennis, as well as soccer.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
CmCD--pWAAIYB56

chibob

Clearly written by a Spurs fan. Eric Dier was shocking last night. His job was to break up play and let us move the ball quickly in midfield, took him on average 10 seconds to make a single pass.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I wonder if anyone from Iceland brought their dog to the stadium?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291

But lately, I've discovered there's a new scourge on my beloved game that I simply cannot tolerate: Americans.
Understand that I'm not talking about the vast majority of you, who still regard soccer as a distinctly European product of dubious worth, like espadrilles or universal health care.

I don't begrudge fans here who have only recently awakened to the charms of what the rest of the world has long known as the beautiful game. Welcome to the party!
The problem is your soccer obsessives. By my reckoning, they may be the most derivative, excessive and utterly ridiculous collection of sports fans on the planet.

If you've ever stumbled across this tribe as they spill out of a bar on Saturday mornings after 90 minutes spent watching a game contested by two teams based thousands of miles away, you'll know the sort of fans I'm talking about.

They refer to the sport as "fútbol," hold long conversations about the finer points of the 4-4-2 formation and proudly drape team scarves around their necks even when the temperature outside is touching 90 degrees.

It is this band of soccer junkies who have turned the simple pleasure I used to derive from heading to a bar to watch a game into something more akin to undergoing root canal surgery.

It's not that they all have the same stories about study-abroad trips to Europe, or that they get wildly excited about the simplest saves, or even, for inexplicable reasons, that 90% of soccer fans in the U.S. seem to root for Arsenal.

My biggest gripe is that all of this feels like an elaborate affectation.
Instead of watching the game in the time-honored way of American sports fans—by thrusting a giant foam finger in the air, say, or devouring a large plate of Buffalo wings—your soccer fanatics have taken to aping the behavior of our fans from across the pond.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
dat old

I hate going out to watch sports though. It really doesn't matter what sport, because most people have no idea what they're talking about, but love to yell loudly at the TV.

And the TVs are mounted 80 feet in the air, the beer costs 600% more than it does at the grocery store, the food only slightly less, and MOST OF THESE GAMES ARE ON REGULAR CABLE/STREAMING.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
At home is much better.

An occasional soccer match at the pub on Saturday morning is fun, but not as a frequent occurrence. I don't even mind the fans in the pub chanting/singing......it's the faux British accents they insert that make me want to stab them with a butter knife.

chibob

At home is much better.

An occasional soccer match at the pub on Saturday morning is fun, but not as a frequent occurrence. I don't even mind the fans in the pub chanting/singing......it's the faux British accents they insert that make me want to stab them with a butter knife.

And the fabricated rivalries or hooliganism of the MLS, right?

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
And the fabricated rivalries or hooliganism of the MLS, right?

Hooliganism is stupid regardless of location.

Fabricated rivalries are also stupid. They're not all 'fake' though. For example, Galaxy and Quakes fans don't like each other, but that's not terribly surprising since LA and Bay Area fans have never really liked each other, in any sport.

Still, "hate" in sports is ha.gay.

Brick

dumber than hateful rivalries is "respectful" rivalries like notre dame/usc and florida state/miami. barffffffff

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
At home is much better.

The problem with this is that these people are imitating the accent of a bunch of no brained fucking racist idiot dickmonkeys.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
The problem with this is that these people are imitating the accent of a bunch of no brained fucking racist idiot dickmonkeys.

These people are no brained fucking racist idiot dickmonkeys. They just think the Ingerlish accent makes them sound like a smarter, more authentic no brained fucking racist idiot dickmonkey.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That was quick.

Maybe he'll score 5 in a row again.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Carvalho is such an oaf. Looks like the kind of guy we'd stick out there 20 years ago.

Brick

i honestly enjoy the group stage play in these major tournaments. i'm never nearly as interested in the knockout round.

beat your opponent in real soccer play time or gtfo. rules should be changed so both teams are eliminated if 130 minutes ends in a tie. shootouts are the worst.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
i honestly enjoy the group stage play in these major tournaments. i'm never nearly as interested in the knockout round.

beat your opponent in real soccer play time or gtfo. rules should be changed so both teams are eliminated if 130 minutes ends in a tie. shootouts are the worst.

Penalties are exciting, but a shitty way to bow out of a tournament.

After 120 minutes, they should use AYSO U7 pop-up goals, and play 3 v 3 on a mini field.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
One of my old corches used to say penalties are a scrappy way to win and a crappy way to lose. I remember missing a penalty in the final of a tournament once and it sucked.

Brick

Penalties are exciting, but a shitty way to bow out of a tournament.

After 120 minutes, they should use AYSO U7 pop-up goals, and play 3 v 3 on a mini field.
i don't think they're exciting. just kind of random to be honest. exciting would be teams frantically trying to actually score in regulation so they don't have to be eliminated.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
i don't think they're exciting. just kind of random to be honest. exciting would be teams frantically trying to actually score in regulation so they don't have to be eliminated.

So, uhh, who would play in the next round if both teams were eliminated?