• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

FIBA World Cup Thread

Which Tournament SHOULD be the bigger basketball tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snorky's Shame

Well we have Commonwealth Games thread, might as well have a thread for a World Cup the US can actually win.

Group A: Brazil, Egypt, France, Iran, Serbia, Spain
Group B: Argentina, Croatia, Greece, Philippines (no, this is not a joke), Puerto Rico, Senegal
Group C: Dominican Republic, Finland, New Zealand, Turkey, Ukraine, United States
Group D: Angola, Australia, Lithuania, Mexico, Slovenia, South Korea

Tournament Schedule

osick87

Community Liaison
Awww no Canada.

Looks like I will have to cheer for the Jumping @Hachiko s

philippines-flag-300x150.png

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Awww no Canada.

Looks like I will have to cheer for the Jumping @Hachiko s

philippines-flag-300x150.png

Their roster is awesome

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}Philippines men's national basketball team roster roster{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}Players{/th}
{th}Coaches{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Pos.{/th}
{th}#{/th}
{th}Name{/th}
{th}Age - DOB{/th}
{th}Ht.{/th}
{th}Club{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}G{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}Alapag, Jimmy (C){/td}
{td}36 – 30 December 1977{/td}
{td}1.76 m (5 ft 9 in){/td}
{td}Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}Tenorio, LA{/td}
{td}30 – 9 July 1984{/td}
{td}1.76 m (5 ft 9 in){/td}
{td}Barangay Ginebra San Miguel{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G/F{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}Chan, Jeffrei{/td}
{td}31 – 11 February 1983{/td}
{td}1.93 m (6 ft 4 in){/td}
{td}Rain or Shine Elasto Painters{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}Castro, Jayson{/td}
{td}28 – 30 June 1986{/td}
{td}1.80 m (5 ft 11 in){/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G/F{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}David, Gary{/td}
{td}36 – 13 July 1978{/td}
{td}1.88 m (6 ft 2 in){/td}
{td}Meralco Bolts{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}de Ocampo, Ranidel{/td}
{td}32 – 8 December 1981{/td}
{td}1.96 m (6 ft 5 in){/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G/F{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}Norwood, Gabe{/td}
{td}29 – 9 February 1985{/td}
{td}1.94 m (6 ft 4 in){/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}C{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}Douthit, Marcus{/td}
{td}34 – 15 April 1980{/td}
{td}2.10 m (6 ft 11 in){/td}
{td}Air21 Express{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F/C{/td}
{td}13{/td}
{td}Fajardo, Junmar{/td}
{td}24 – 17 November 1989{/td}
{td}2.08 m (6 ft 10 in){/td}
{td}San Miguel Beermen{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F{/td}
{td}14{/td}
{td}Aguilar, Japeth{/td}
{td}27 – 25 January 1987{/td}
{td}2.08 m (6 ft 10 in){/td}
{td}Barangay Ginebra San Miguel{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}Pingris, Marc{/td}
{td}32 – 16 October 1981{/td}
{td}San Mig Super Coffee Mixers{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F/C{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Blatche, Andray{/td}
{td}28 – 22 August 1986{/td}
{td}2.11 m (6 ft 11 in){/td}
{td}Brooklyn Nets{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Lee, Paul{/td}
{td}25 – 14 February 1989{/td}
{td}1.83 m (6 ft 0 in){/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F/C{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Belga, Beau{/td}
{td}27 – 30 November 1986{/td}
{td}1.98 m (6 ft 6 in){/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}G/F{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Dillinger, Jared{/td}
{td}30 – 6 January 1984{/td}
{td}Meralco Bolts{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}F{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Washington, Jay{/td}
{td}32 – 10 November 1981{/td}
{td}2.01 m (6 ft 7 in){/td}
{td}GlobalPort Batang Pier{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]{/td}

{td=top}Head coach
Assistant coaches
Consultants
Team manager
Legend
  • (c) Team captain
  • Injured
{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Snorky's Shame

Americans ending up on other nation's basketball teams is just like Brazilians playing on other nation's soccer teams.

Chase

Kevin Love backed out because he didn't want to get shown up by the Gathols/Serge. Too bad Coach K isn't a dick like Jurgen and doesn't let the non-superstars who are sitting this out on to the 2014 Olympic team.

I would start Wall and Curry in the back court and would have Harden come off the bench. Wall can't shoot, but he can play defense and can put up 15 assists a game. Just hope Coach K doesn't do something like Irving/Harden as the starters.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Kevin Love backed out because he didn't want to get shown up by the Gathols/Serge. Too bad Coach K isn't a dick like Jurgen and doesn't let the non-superstars who are sitting this out on to the 2014 Olympic team.

I would start Wall and Curry in the back court and would have Harden come off the bench. Wall can't shoot, but he can play defense and can put up 15 assists a game. Just hope Coach K doesn't do something like Irving/Harden as the starters.
Or because he didn't want his leg to end up like Paul George's.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Philippines is actually pretty basketball crazed. They were suppose to have this big NBA thing there that the league wouldn't let them do a few weeks ago.

Besides the USA, I think the Philippines is the only other country on earth where basketball is highly popular. In the PI, basketball is the undisputed #1 team sport, and nothing else really even comes close.

I recently finished "Pacific Rims" by Rafe Bartholomew, and it's a very interesting look into just how basketball-crazed the Philippines is. Filipinos everywhere, from rich teenagers in the plush Manila suburbs playing in brand-new gyms, to dirt-poor villagers in the provincial hinterlands playing on improvised courts made of bent rebar for hoops and scrap wood for backboards, plays basketball.

Despite this love for the sport, and the commercial success of ita domestic professional basketball league, the Philippines hasn't had a great deal of international success. The factors are myriad, but much of it boils down to a simple lack of height. :laughing: :(

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Besides the USA, I think the Philippines is the only other country on earth where basketball is highly popular. In the PI, basketball is the undisputed #1 team sport, and nothing else really even comes close.

I recently finished "Pacific Rims" by Rafe Bartholomew, and it's a very interesting look into just how basketball-crazed the Philippines is. Filipinos everywhere, from rich teenagers in the plush Manila suburbs playing in brand-new gyms, to dirt-poor villagers in the provincial hinterlands playing on improvised courts made of bent rebar for hoops and scrap wood for backboards, plays basketball.

Despite this love for the sport, and the commercial success of ita domestic professional basketball league, the Philippines hasn't had a great deal of international success. The factors are myriad, but much of it boils down to a simple lack of height. :laughing: :(

It sounds like they need to reopen a few U.S. military bases so our soldiers can start knocking up the locals again.

Snorky's Shame

The factors are myriad, but much of it boils down to a simple lack of height. :laughing: :(

Im 5'10" and I tower over the rest of my family by at least a couple of inches.

This is also the reason why I hated playing pick up ball with other Filipinos, I was always the center. I usually played guard.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

This is also the reason why I hated playing pick up ball with other Filipinos, I was always the center. I usually played guard.

@Snorky's Shame - if you can, seriously check out the book I mentioned, "Pacific Rims." I loved that book not only because the subject matter is something that I've always found uniquely intriguing, but because the writer's style is very enjoyable. His tales of the locker room antics of certain players pranking one another had me laughing to tears at times.

My experience playing with Filipinos is that many of them, apparently due to lack of height, would play extra-aggressively and chippy. I'd never seen as many fights, shoving matches, loud arguments, and just downright hostility as I did when I played in the (ironically named) Friendship Games at CSUF. :laughing:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
My experience is theyre always playing in jeans

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
For what it's worth, many countries consider the World Championships in basketball to be more important than the Olympics.

I like the fact that there are more teams there. I think the fact that the best players aren't there, speaks more loudly tho.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
@Snorky's Shame - if you can, seriously check out the book I mentioned, "Pacific Rims." I loved that book not only because the subject matter is something that I've always found uniquely intriguing, but because the writer's style is very enjoyable. His tales of the locker room antics of certain players pranking one another had me laughing to tears at times.

My experience playing with Filipinos is that many of them, apparently due to lack of height, would play extra-aggressively and chippy. I'd never seen as many fights, shoving matches, loud arguments, and just downright hostility as I did when I played in the (ironically named) Friendship Games at CSUF. :laughing:

Can you explain this

ib0CheDfV6cVWu.gif

sayo

YEET

I'm Filipino/Portuguese and it's the same for me. 5'10" and I'm much taller than everyone else in my family on both sides.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Here's a hypothetical: What's the best team USA could possibly put out right now. Everyone is in good health. My vote:

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Curry/Bryant/Harden
Durant/Anthony/Leonard
James/Love/Aldridge
Howard/Griffin/B. Lopez

kingssc

Finland went 0-20 in the 2nd quarter. Making the guys I played with at the gym this morning look like all-stars.

Snorky's Shame

I always wondered how a basketball team with Mugsy Bogues, Earl Boykins and Spud Webb would look like. It would look like the Filipino team.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Barea went off today, 30 points in a 77-73 win over the fighting Basin, Snorky, and Hachikos to avoid being eliminated.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Why is Curry shooting long 2s when the 3 point line is almost 2 feet closer than it is in the NBA?

Death to long 2s!