• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

[FM13] NML takes on Europe

NML

American Businessman purchases Bray Wanderers
Immediately names son-in-law new manager

Notable technology COO Ass'Corch'Dad has made a new investment, putting a percentage of his large fortune into the purchase of Bray Wanders of the Ireland Premier League. Reports put the sale around 300,000 squiggly things, or approximately 350,000 dollars.

The American says he will put even more money into the club's reserves, will the eventual hope of getting them into European competitions consistently.

The new manager, the businessman's son-in-law, has a limited coaching record, spending a majority of his career at the youth level, also in America.

NML

So notable changes to the database

- Bray's chairman changed to Ass'Corch'Dad
- Balance changed from $1 to $500k
- Ireland's top two division combined to one, to give it a 20 team division with no promotion/relegation
- Ireland switching to a fall/spring season, other notable changes to get more similar to top European leagues (i.e. transfer windows)
- Established an FA Cup, League Cup, and Super Cup
- Established U21 Reserve League

LEGGO!

Milo

Just curious if you've ever considered moving a team into a more reputable league for a save like this? I think you mentioned you often get bored with the domestic leagues after a certain point, but, if say, you moved Bray Wanderers into the English pyramid structure, it might add some long-term domestic excitement.

Admittedly this has different goals than a club and country save, but it could somewhat apply(though, it would take longer to get into Europe.)

NML

I did, and I even thought of moving a team like Linfield into Ingerland and doing a Linfield/NI C&C, but the long haul up the pyramid always exhausts me. I've never made it all the way. I suppose that doesn't bode well for the long haul of moving from a semi-pro team to a European contender, but I guess I can't have both. I lean towards top competition right away, and the later troubles I'll cross when I get there.

Assuming I get good enough, loaning/selling to the rest of the league should help their talent as well. I guess we shall see...

EDIT TO UR EDIT: Basically right - I want European competition soon, but would still like a long term challenge.

NML

First meeting with Ass'Corch'Dad and he demands we play attacking soccer

attacksoccer_zps7778215a.png

FUUUUUUUU

NML

So notable info headed into the first season

Media Prediction: 11th
Sponsorship Monies: $32.6k
Wage Budget: $4,014 p/w
Transfer Budget: $0
Est Value: $850k (when I did the first run, it was $350k, hence my purchase price)
Season Ticket Holders: 220
Stadium: Carlisle Grounds
6000 capacity (3185 seated)
Rent: $2 per year + 1% of gate receipts
Training Facilities: Adequate (4 of 10)
Youth Facilities: Basic (1 of 10)
Junior Coaching: Average (4 of 7)
Youth Recruitment: Above average (5 of 8)

:laughing: at that rent. Looks like our youth intake should be pretty solid, but will have no chance to develop here. Need to send them out on loan once they arrive, if they aren't ready for the first team.

NML

Lets wrap up the pre-season here. First off...

hull_zps25726abc.png

Cool. That'll help us with some finances and hopefully some players.

Here's how the friendlies went...

friendlies_zps9501889a.png

I initially started with a 4-4-2 diamond with a target man/poacher combination up top. I felt like that fit my best players well, but we struggled to provide good service from the wings. I tried out a possession style, 4-5-1 that I use a lot for the last game, and it got us our first and only win so far. I'll probably use both throughout the year, depending on match-up.

Here's the depth chart

depthchart_zps6233ea32.png

Some stars, but a lack of great talent throughout. Dempsey, Byrne, and Waters are my best players by a mile, so I tried to build the formation around them, using Dempsey in the center running the show, with Byrne as a target man and Waters playing off of him as a poacher. Waters really plays better out wide though, so when we shifted to the 4-5-1, he had a great game (7.4 with a goal). Mulroy is great in the attacking mid/playmaker role, the O'Conner's form a nice CB combo, and Quigley recovered from a poor start to have a decent pre-season.

transfers_zps44dfd104.png

I didn't want to make any big transfers until I was able to feel out my team. The first three are two amateurs, who will play reserve unless we have an injury, and one non-contract. After some games, I brought in Margetts from our parent club who is a phenomenal finisher (14), but doesn't do much else. I only have him for three months for now, we'll see how he does and whether or not to extend him.

Mulhall was my only real transfer, and he immediately steps in as our best naturally wide player. He's a righty, Waters is a southpaw, so sticky them on the opposite outside wings as Inside Forwards work real well in the first game.

On to the games!

NML

Mid Season review time!

table_zps340671c3.png

WELP. Not exactly where we want to be. For quite a while, we were in the top half (as you'll see below) but we've hit a rough patch. We drew the past two games, so we are right there. In the last game, we allowed a goal on the last kick of the game to cost us two points :emo:

stages_zpse7607724.png

matches_zps9f261a72.png

Look at that damn drop off. FUUUUUUU form

cups_zps5cad4eff.png

We made our goal in the League Cup, getting bounced in the quarterfinals. No real money there, doe. Got a very favorable draw in the FA Cup, so we should have no problem making our goal there. We could really use a nice run there - it might be our only shot at European football next year, and we are bleeding money. About 300k of Ass'Corch'Dad's funds are gone. 50k if we can knock out that 3rd tier side doe...

NML

8 month bump! End of season review

matches_zpszp6ggjgz.png

What I learned in the first season is that my team has no depth. We made a nice cup run and ultimately I had to start making decisions on when to rest people. We had mid-table written all over us, so I really focused on the FA Cup. And it cost us in the league. Dat end of the year run...

I probably tinkered with things too much - basically running two teams instead of just finding moments to rest people. It was very obvious that our team couldn't get in a rhythm, especially in league play.

stages_zpsnc8gle2g.png

Our 3-0 win to finish the season bumped us up to 13th, which was ultimately a pretty predictable finish. Media had us at 11th, which we would've had pretty easily if not for our run. Speaking of the run...

cups_zpsd6vbujke.png

We made it all the way to the finals before getting stomped. We needed penalties to beat an amateur side, but we followed the up with a very impressive 1-0 road win. Mervue United also made a surprising run to the semi's, so I was fairly confident in our chances. We dropped the away leg 1-0, but responded very well at home taking it 3-1 in extra time. Our crappy late season form cost us a shot at the Europa League.

With our league standings hovering in the bottom 6 for much of the end of the season, the newspapers starting saying I was on thin ice, even going so far as to say a loss in one game would be my head. We lost 2-0, and the next day Ass'Corch'Dad called me into his office:

newcontract_zpso0rgcjst.png

Our FA Cup run, I assume, was the only reason for this. I would still put our focus there if I had to do it again. It increased our reputation and we made a good amount of money, which had been a major concern. We stabilized the club and got an increase in our budget for the next season. The club is still looking for a mid-table finish, but I hope we can overachieve with some depth - my goal being to find someway into Europe.