1. We need a small amount of ur money to help keep the site running. Check out the Donations tab at the top to contribute.

Game of Thrones (TV show discussion)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Reel, Apr 1, 2014.

1. adchester

adchester Blowin' in the wind

Team:
    Minnesota-Duluth
    Seriously wtf was that :laughing::laughing: The entire scene was super strange

chibob likes this.
  2. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

Seeing a lot of awful hot takes by SAHM types in Ohio about how it was "too slow" of a start. I haven't watched it yet, but motherfucker, that is literally how EVERY HBO SHOW WORKS. I would extend that to every prestige, every peak TV, every golden age of TV drama...every season starts slow. We're tombout shows that producers proudly call "10 hour movies". No shit it's gonna take a minute to get going.

adchester likes this.
  3. adchester

adchester Blowin' in the wind

Team:
    Minnesota-Duluth
    My thoughts:

- Lots of set-up and exposition, good opener.
    - Ed Sheeran scene was fucking weird
    - Some great one-liners. "No need to seize the last word Baelish, I'll assume it was something clever" :laughing:
    -Arya dropping an entire family was dope as fuck, Dany returning home was dope as fuck.

Also, Euron's costume design was weird, did he drop by a Forever 21 on the way to King's Landing?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. Rutgers Mike

Rutgers Mike Dr. Sad

Team:
    Rutgers
    Jorah sticking his hand out of that cell terrified me.

5. Hike

Hike Muad'Dib

Team:
    Niners - Warriors - UC Davis
    That was Mormont?

edit: ok I'm dumb. My son said he told me it was Mornont when it happened but I didn't listen. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito pressure cooker full of skittles

I thought it was a fine episode. I don't know who Ed Sheeran is. Apparently if I had known who he was, that scene would have been jarring according to my social media feed. w/e

It was a setup episode, which is inevitably a bit of a letdown to lead off the season. This could just as easily have been placed at the end of last season.

But in the future when people are binge-watching the show, nobody will care.

I am a little worried about just how amazing Arya's powers are, and I hope we're not in for a bunch of misdirection there. Just so we're clear, she can only use faces of people she's killed, right? She can't be anyone anytime? I will be disappointed if there are a bunch of "conversation with a character who turns out to be Arya and murders whomever she was talking to" scenes.

I thought the scene with the Hound was fantastic. A lot of his scenes have been over the years, but that was a poignant set piece.

7. Rutgers Mike

Rutgers Mike Dr. Sad

Team:
    Rutgers
    I only knew cause I had the closed captioning on, so don't feel bad.

8. GuyIncognito

It took me a second as well. I knew the voice, but couldn't place it. Then the scaly arm came through and even then it took a few seconds for it to click.

Are we supposed to know what that cell block is? Is he being quarantined because of his disease or is it a hostel or a research thing or what?

9. NML

NML Well-Known Member

I would assume he went to the Citadel, since if anyone had a cure, they would. Apparently he hasn't been cured based on that arm though.

The Arya storyline is both awesome and worrisome. I love what a badass she is, but the way it all played out with the faceless men... I'm skeptical. Either it was poorly written or something else is going on.

First off, why didn't the waif just kill her initially? Second, she gets stabbed in the stomach like six times but just needs bandaged up from an actress and then she's okay? THEN she manages to kill this person who's never beat while suffering from these magically healed wounds. Not to mention that she knows she's being hunted and is just strolling around town waiting for her chance to leave. That scene was so weird to me to me.

Maybe it's not even Arya?

10. BasinBictory

BasinBictory CHICKEN NUT BREAD

Team:
    USC
    Interesting idea, @NML wrt Arya.

I do think that Arya will eventually have a showdown (or rather, another showdown) with the Faceless Men. After all, their ethos is that the death they deal is dispassionate, and not based on revenge or hatred.

Terrific episode, overall. Not sure what scene the Ed Sheeran thing is (like Mak, not sure who he is or why his appearance in the show has people tripping), but I enjoyed both the Hound scene where he is telling Dondarrion to piss off with his idea of justice, as well as Arya's scene with the Lannister soldiers.

11. Travis7401

Travis7401 Douglass Tagg Community Liaison

Maybe Ed Sheeran didn't exist in whatever version of the sim ya'll came from, but in this version you just surpassed anything @Reel has ever accomplished in his area of expertise.

OU11, Orlando, chibob and 3 others like this.
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw Fuckface Utopia Moderator

13. Southpaw

Southpaw Fuckface Utopia Moderator

My favorite scenes were definitely with the Hound, as usual, and with Jon and Sansa. I was glad to see him assert hisself like that. Lady Mormont stole the show again too.

14. silverwheels

silverwheels fleetwood mac sex pants

Team:
    RUSS
    The Arya/Faceless Men thing was just written poorly. Well, most of D&D's original content is written poorly. They don't have the best grasp of the characters and their motivations the way Martin wrote them, nor do they seem to understand that he's trying to question fantasy tropes while they just adhere to them.

Although the cold open and the ending did give me chills, as did all of the Hound's scenes.

chibob and adchester like this.
  15. GuyIncognito

I also like the post-Ramsey Sansa and post-assassination Jon. Mostly I like that these disagreements they have are honest ones, and their positions are rooted in their experiences on the show.

And also because these are the kinds of things I love in Crusader Kings haha.

About ready for LittleFinger to get the ax. He's causing trouble and everyone knows it.

16. BasinBictory

BasinBictory CHICKEN NUT BREAD

Team:
    USC
    Will Robin Arryn grow a pair and snip Littlefinger's uh, little finger?"

17. GuyIncognito

Also, the score in this show keeps getting even better. Everybody's got their little theme now, and I like all of them.

Dany

Cersei

Jon/Sansa (skip to 2:00)

18. Reel

Reel Who's ur Crawdaddy? Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
    i "know" of ed sheeran but didnt spot him :dunno:

great episode last night imo

NO wasted moments imo

but i for one like the Arya stuff...the hound stole the show...so many quotables

Rutgers Mike likes this.
  19. Hooblaa

Hooblaa Lazy Millennial

Team:
    Seattle
    Look at all you hipster fgts tryna flex on each other actin like you don't know the guy who's been on the top 20 radio songs for like the last 3 years. Y'all ain't foolin nobody.

OU11, Orlando, Shakabreaux and 6 others like this.
  20. OU11

OU11 Pleighboi Utopia Moderator

Team:
    Niners
    watched the second to last in season 6. dope. finale tonight and then ill watch last night's episode and forget about this season for 8 months

Yankee151 likes this.