• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Man this one will haunt. Split in Detroit, then had three in Boston. Split the first two and then dropped the third. Huge series swing there, the middle 3 seem like a big advantage given to lower seeded teams.

Small market windows close fast and now I have to do a lot of roster reshaping to keep my budget down. It’s hard to imagine a better positioning in the next few years to get that first shampship since 1984 - roster with some experience, late season momentum, and a 90 win team coming out of the NL.

Wolfman21

21...waitin for 22 to go on that 50% off deal. That johnson dude is absolutely legit though...i'd love a guy like that on ma team

we somehow went 27-33 in the shortened first season....i have no idea how with as shitty as the roster is and as many trades as I did. I traded off a bunch of old guys for Carter Kieboom and Evan White and signed an IFA who both my scout and OSA agreed on his potential of 75/60/45/65/60. He likely won't reach those ratings...but its a dream. The draft kinda sucked and we were only picking in the middle of the first round, but i got what i think is gonna be a decent catcher and some high risk/high reward HS pitchers.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
they have 8 minor league teams and a shit ton of horrible contracts. CANT WAIT

The Tigers have two GCL and two DSL league teams. WHY.

I might delete the second DSL team, I don't even really have enough players for that most years.

Wow, looks like the Giants are just as bad. Two Arizona Fall League teams and two DSL teams.

Wolfman21

The Tigers have two GCL and two DSL league teams. WHY.

I might delete the second DSL team, I don't even really have enough players for that most years.

Wow, looks like the Giants are just as bad. Two Arizona Fall League teams and two DSL teams.

i haven't even looked deep into what those teams are yet, i just know that two of them only have like 3 players on them...i assume those are the AZ league teams. Doesn't really matter to me through the first season as in 21, with the shortened season, none of the minor league teams are playing anyways

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
i haven't even looked deep into what those teams are yet, i just know that two of them only have like 3 players on them...i assume those are the AZ league teams. Doesn't really matter to me through the first season as in 21, with the shortened season, none of the minor league teams are playing anyways

Didn't matter to me either until I looked and my second DSL team hadn't won a game in 2 seasons because there was only 14 players on the roster. :laughing:

I tried to shift players from the GCL and they didn't qualify for the DSL.

Wolfman21

I figured out a workaround for the AI coach doing stupid shit with the lineups. Apparently you can "Force Start" for a player in their strategy settings. For instance, I traded for Evan White who could start for me in RF on opening day. I worked out trades and the roster and everything for this to happen, however my manager won't put him there, he always just changes his position and puts him as my backup 1B for whatever reason. So i went into his game strat settings and force started him in RF. Hes now in RF and won't be moved unless I allow it.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
you got me to start a "GM Only" with the Giants @Mr. Radpants

Any recommendations for someone that's never done that before? Looking to do something, anything, to keep what little grip on sanity I have left from slipping now that I'm between pedal building projects. Figured I could give GM Only a shot since it doesn't seem as insane of a time commitment as managing and GM an org usually is in OOTP.

Wolfman21

Any recommendations for someone that's never done that before? Looking to do something, anything, to keep what little grip on sanity I have left from slipping now that I'm between pedal building projects. Figured I could give GM Only a shot since it doesn't seem as insane of a time commitment as managing and GM an org usually is in OOTP.

its definitely not. The most time intensive thing i've found so far is making sure all fucking 8 of my minor league team's are fully staffed. Just pick a team, make sure you check the role box as GM Only and sim away. You basically are in control of picking players, finances, moving players throughout the system and thats it.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
its definitely not. The most time intensive thing i've found so far is making sure all fucking 8 of my minor league team's are fully staffed. Just pick a team, make sure you check the role box as GM Only and sim away. You basically are in control of picking players, finances, moving players throughout the system and thats it.

Can you limit the number of minor leagues teams? That was always the nightmare doing both - keeping all eight straight.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I figured out a workaround for the AI coach doing stupid shit with the lineups. Apparently you can "Force Start" for a player in their strategy settings. For instance, I traded for Evan White who could start for me in RF on opening day. I worked out trades and the roster and everything for this to happen, however my manager won't put him there, he always just changes his position and puts him as my backup 1B for whatever reason. So i went into his game strat settings and force started him in RF. Hes now in RF and won't be moved unless I allow it.

Yes, started doing this yesterday also because the manager kept starting my UIF at SS, SS at DH, and pushing my DH to the bench. Force start the SS at SS and he figures the rest out.

It works well! And is realistic that a GM/Manager would have that kind of interaction.

Wolfman21

somethin i was thinking about while playing this....how the fuck can OOTP get away with using college players' likeness' but EA can't make a college football game? Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter in my game easy as shit...names, DOB's, colleges...i mean...its THEM. But no stink made?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
It’s also not just college players, they even have real high school prospects. I just called up Dylan Lesko, as best I can tell he’s still in high school irl

Wolfman21

finished 2nd season 73-89...honestly better than i was trying to be. I was hovering just a few games below .500 at the all star break. Made some trades and the 2nd half was much worse. Should be position for a top 5-6 pick i think in the next draft. Evan White, who i traded for in season 1...won rookie of the year with a .762 OPS and leading MLB in doubles with 51. He beat out Mackenzie Gore who went 12-6 with a 3.02 ERA.

Joey Bart spent his 1st season of service backing up Buster Posey. He hit .254/.322/.475 with 11 homers in 48 starts but he had a ton of pinch hit appearances and ended up with 262 total PAs. I let Buster walk after this season so Bart will be my starter moving forward.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
finished 2nd season 73-89...honestly better than i was trying to be. I was hovering just a few games below .500 at the all star break. Made some trades and the 2nd half was much worse. Should be position for a top 5-6 pick i think in the next draft. Evan White, who i traded for in season 1...won rookie of the year with a .762 OPS and leading MLB in doubles with 51. He beat out Mackenzie Gore who went 12-6 with a 3.02 ERA.

Joey Bart spent his 1st season of service backing up Buster Posey. He hit .254/.322/.475 with 11 homers in 48 starts but he had a ton of pinch hit appearances and ended up with 262 total PAs. I let Buster walk after this season so Bart will be my starter moving forward.
How did E. White fare in Right vs. manning the bag at first?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

Who won the WS?

Unseating the Dodgers will be fun! These idiots just fired Friedman for some reason after getting bounced in the 2026 Divisional round and I was able to hire Van Scoyoc

Man how fickle are these OOTP owners where that's even a possibility after that run.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This dude is such a GOAT, but Fragile. He wants $30M per year to extend. Arbitration estimate for next year is sitting at $22M already.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Would you extend? I have no wiggle room for mistakes with the Tigers budget. The Fragile tag gives me a lot of hesitation.

This is one of the best homegrown players I will develop this decade, so I could try to extend him and Rocker but it’s going to have some serious impacts on other moves I can make. But, part of what I’m trying to do is run a small market team well while extending the top 10 players I develop (unlike what the Indians just did). He’s also exciting in the actual games I’m watching. In the NLCS, Home run. Walk. Stolen base to second. Then stealing third.

I could also move him to LF and extend him for his bat. He would have a crazy glove in left. Might lessen his injury risk.

Wolfman21

Would you extend? I have no wiggle room for mistakes with the Tigers budget. The Fragile tag gives me a lot of hesitation.

This is one of the best homegrown players I will develop this decade, so I could try to extend him and Rocker but it’s going to have some serious impacts on other moves I can make. But, part of what I’m trying to do is run a small market team well while extending the top 10 players I develop (unlike what the Indians just did). He’s also exciting in the actual games I’m watching. In the NLCS, Home run. Walk. Stolen base to second. Then stealing third.

I could also move him to LF and extend him for his bat. He would have a crazy glove in left. Might lessen his injury risk.

hard to say what i'd do without knowing your salaries, what you've got coming down the pipe as far as prospects, etc. But hes a good looking piece

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday

Is next year last arb? He bput to be 28. Moving him to LF should allow a 4-6 year window of greatness, imo.
Kumar was a HOF arm all 6 times I played offline dynasty in 21. Have yet to jump in on one in 22.

Wolf made some valid points above to consider.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I do have this GOAT coming

He was still struggling earlier in the season, the ratings are finally starting to jump. I would have bumped him to AA sooner if I had caught his jumps late this year.

Wolfman21

i always run into a moment where i lose like 2-3 of my best players to prolonged injuries and just don't feel like starting the sim back up. That happened today. Lost my best starter and my two best bats to injuries all within a week. Just immediately hit quit and haven't wanted to open it back up since.

Wolfman21

got back into it and got to the draft in 2022. Jack Leiter apparently didn't sign with who he was drafted by in 2019 and is back in the draft. He was good in college, but his control potential sits at 40....so hes only a 3* and is available at my 10th pick. Also, there may be a coding issue with my scouting director and his recommendations. I always ask him just to see what he thinks, and he always recommends that I pick a catcher. And its never the best rated catcher on the board. Kinda weird

Wolfman21

Did you take Leiter?

Do you have catching as a scouting priority?

i did not. there was a better pitching prospect in the first round where i picked and he was gone by the time i picked in the 2nd. And I don't have any priorities set in scouting. Its just weird, haha.

I'm also going to have to set some ground rules for myself when it comes to trading with the AI. They are way too easy to take advantage of.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
i did not. there was a better pitching prospect in the first round where i picked and he was gone by the time i picked in the 2nd. And I don't have any priorities set in scouting. Its just weird, haha.

I'm also going to have to set some ground rules for myself when it comes to trading with the AI. They are way too easy to take advantage of.

Yeah, agree. You can turn difficulty up with the AI focused on prospects. I also just try to ask myself if it makes sense for the other team.

I think offline is too easy mostly due to IFA. Cavajel and another LF IFA prospect means I don't have to resign Meadows unless I choose to, which is insane.

Wolfman21

Yeah, agree. You can turn difficulty up with the AI focused on prospects. I also just try to ask myself if it makes sense for the other team.

I think offline is too easy mostly due to IFA. Cavajel and another LF IFA prospect means I don't have to resign Meadows unless I choose to, which is insane.

yeah, you can easily sign almost whoever you want. Same with FA as well

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I mean I can’t with this budget :laughing:

Lost in the World Series in five games to Washington. Split in Detroit and then lost 3 straight on the road. Nats' leadoff is some generated 1-1 overall with 80 eye and had 72 steals and 3 CS this year. 2-3-4 of Tatis, Soto, Luis Robert.

They haven't had a winning team in years and turned the corner this year. Brutal. On to 2028.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Speed seems to be the name of the game for the early goings in 22. Judging by the above 72:3 ratio, it may be skewed a bit too heavily. :laughing:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
@fignuts were you basing that comment on my post or has there been chatter about speed/SBs?

The game seems largely the same to me. The Nats were just crushing me with the bats, they weren’t running all over me or anything. That 1-4 was nasty.

I’m basically over budget again. Extended Kumar 72/6 - likely bargain but he had a real bad year in 2026 and an injury or two. Meadows salary is up to $22M per. My middle IF are both over $7M, so I’ll be sliding my rookie 3B who slugged 36 HRs to 2nd and trading my starting 2B. Prospect will come up and play third. I’m not sure how much else I’ll have to do this off-season, but the arbitration eligible players are killing me.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
@Mr. Radpants Bit of both. Had read bout it over the weekend but having trouble tracking that thread down. Maybe it was catcher discussion I'm thinking of? Ratings for that position were dulled down.

edit: was twitch stream convo

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Lost in the World Series in five games to Washington. Split in Detroit and then lost 3 straight on the road. Nats' leadoff is some generated 1-1 overall with 80 eye and had 72 steals and 3 CS this year. 2-3-4 of Tatis, Soto, Luis Robert.

They haven't had a winning team in years and turned the corner this year. Brutal. On to 2028.

SEASON RECAP

GivingExhaustedLice-max-1mb.gif

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Meadows tagged with WRECKED in his contract year, so we'll be saying goodbye to him.

I'm debating between trading him now (I could get an MLB-ready closer of the future and a solid 2B prospect from the Yankees) and making one last run with him this year.

If I trade him, Cavajel might already be ready:

The move could definitely cost me a run this year, though. We're in a real tight race in the Central