• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Have you used a playsheet before

FSS

1. How did you call plays off it? If you had x amount of first down plays did you just go straight down the list, choose randomly, or by what you think the opponent would call?
  2. If the plays were from different formations how would you order them so it doesn't take a lot of clock to scroll to your play?
  3. Did you choose your base plays first(1st and second down plays) or 3rd down plays first?
  4. Was there overlap between base(1st and second down plays) and 3rd down plays?
  5. If you were in a league or had to play opponents multiple times would you change the order or plays. If so how?
If you haven't in the game but irl how did you do it irl or how would you adapt it to the game.

FSS

1. Always on what the opponent would call, never random

2. Starting with 1 back and go up

3. Money plays first, str8 cash homie

4. Yes

5. Nah

Would you go through all your one back plays then move to the next formation. Then go to lets say, all your iform plays all the way to shotgun?

JohnScott

I used a play call sheet back in the day. I unfortunately lost the file and can't remember much. I do know I had sections for 3rd & short, 3rd & long, red zone, goal line, backed up offense. Basic situational football ideas that I picked up from reading the following link: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/08/bill-walsh-method-for-game-planning.html

1. I always scripted my first 10-15 plays (can't remember if it was 10 or 15). My script was designed to establish my bread and butter, see what kind of looks I get from the defense, and to set up my constraint plays. How do they look against our base run to the left? To the right? How do they align against trips? Stuff like that. Just trying to answer questions you may have while setting the defense up. The key though was the situational play calls. 3rd and short? Go to the 3rd and short section, pick up the first down, and then back to the script. Time to call your 8th play on the script but you got pinned on the 4 yard line by a punt? Go to the backed up offense section. All those ideas got me through the script so I would have a good sense of what's working, what's not working, and what constraints I've set up to catch the defense off guard.

2. I can't remember exactly how I had my play call sheet setup, but I built it on Excel and then printed it out so it was next to me while playing. It may have even been double sided, but I can't remember. I made the fonts pretty small, created boxes and sections, used color coordination. I basically just set it up in a way that made sense in my head so I can think of the concept I want, and then get it. I attached a spreadsheet that I did manage to not delete. It helped me think of a concept, and then quickly pick the call. You'll see that I had my formations going from 1 back under-center, to 2 back under-center, to shotgun. Like I've said numerous times, I do not have the play call sheet with the situational plays and such.

3. Not sure what you meant with your question. Let me know if I did not answer it.

4. Definitely. For example, my base ground game could be utilized on 3rd and short obviously. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I structured my spreadsheet to indicate that. I imagine I probably would have included them as 3rd & short runs.

5. I did this several times playing in the BSCFL back in the day. I would write down my 10-15 play script depending on the factors above, as well as the long-term psychology of playing an opponent multiple times. It's really a mental game of cat and mouse that could go on and on. For example, suppose you have an opponent that knows you are a run first kind of guy. Well, you're going to want to establish your running plays so you sprinkle them into the script. Play 1 could be a run, play 4, play 9-11, whatever. Problem though is this guy knows we want to run the football. Solution? Change things up a bit. Maybe you develop a script to throw more than run. Maybe you feature play action early, although I feel that it's best to set up play action. Each game's script was unique. From there I would just stick the script and call upon my situational plays.

Attachments

• NCAA 13 Call Sheet 2 (Concepts).xlsx - Sheet1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

TheSystem

Have used a script when I had a more complicated offense, since then my offense is very trimmed, I know it extremely well so I don't need it.

1. How did you call plays off it? If you had x amount of first down plays did you just go straight down the list, choose randomly, or by what you think the opponent would call? based it on the opposition and no more than 5 plays for each, you mark the plays that work well and repeat them until they are stopped consitenly
  2. If the plays were from different formations how would you order them so it doesn't take a lot of clock to scroll to your play? formation call was part of the play i.e. Spread Rip 60 Z Go /Spread formation , Rip motion 60 protection Z Go is the route concept, also you create a list for your playmakers guys you want to touch the ball
  3. Did you choose your base plays first(1st and second down plays) or 3rd down plays first? 2nd down,3rd Ands then goalie/4th specials, 1st downs could be from the scripted list or repeaters
  4. Was there overlap between base(1st and second down plays) and 3rd down plays? yes
  5. If you were in a league or had to play opponents multiple times would you change the order or plays. If so how? Well keep the concepts but change formations and also do it on a spread sheet and then just reverse or randomize the previous order also you know them, are they going to completely change or are also pretty consistent in their approach, its hard for someone who is blitz heavy to suddenly be happy being zone dropping pass d with little to no pressure within a season, you should run what you run best and have a couple of answers for a situation.
IRL pretty much the same as above but now I wouldn't need it, I am too tempo based, you get a suggestion from the box or an assistant they can also track what is working (though you can tell) and give you tips (they are rolling a safety down) or reminders (coach we haven't gotten Joe enough touches)

Dan Robinson has a great video out on game planning goes over how to set up your game plan and call sheet can be found on coaches choice if you are super interested for IRL kind of pricey for game purposes though